PDA

View Full Version : Twist on Walker in the Waste PrC

Valdis
2013-01-19, 02:26 AM
I was comparing the Walker in the Waste vs a True Lich..
I've heard that the Dry Lich is better than the True Lich, I agree if you take in to consideration:

- Sand Golem and Salt Mummy that the Dry Lich can create.
- Dry Liches touch attack is eventually stronger then the Lich.
- The desert conditions that that follow the Dry Lich are deadly.

Though if you look at the Lich, you will see that it also has advantages over the Dry Lich

- d12 instead of d6
- Better in melee (base attack)
- Turn Resistance
- Natural Armor (+5... Dry Lich is +2, would these stack?)
- Paralyzing Touch
- Damage Reduction 15/Blount and Magic
- Ability Scores = Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +2.

Would it be possible for me to gain 8 levels in Walker of the Waste and then turn myself into a Lich... rather than gaining the 9th PrC level? Would I be able to get the best of both worlds by doing that? I assume that get to keep my abilities if I leave the Walker PrC. If I did this would special abilities like Natural Armor stack?

silverwolfer
2013-01-19, 02:35 AM
once you become a dry lich you get d12

you get dessecating touch for your unarmed attacks

you also get turn resistance....

why would you go that far into the PRC that gives you no LA adjustment, to go into being a lich which gives you a ton of LA adjustment.

Valdis
2013-01-19, 02:41 AM
once you become a dry lich you get d12

you get dessecating touch for your unarmed attacks

you also get turn resistance....

why would you go that far into the PRC that gives you no LA adjustment, to go into being a lich which gives you a ton of LA adjustment.

I'm looking at the Walker progression table now and it says:
Table 3–7: The Walker in the Waste Hit Die: d6
Yes I know that but I'm confused about the dessicating touch, the text says "At every odd-numbered level thereafter, the dessication damage increases by 1d6 (or 1d8), to a maximum of 5d6 (or 5d8) at 9th level." ... so is it d6 or d8??
How does LA work in a solo campaign... everything I'm doing with this charactor is solo. Would it increase the quantity/strength of my encounters?

Level Adjustment
Same as the base creature +4 .... Geeeeez

JaronK
2013-01-19, 02:47 AM
When you become undead, all your HD become D12. It doesn't matter what your hit die were before that.

JaronK

Valdis
2013-01-19, 02:51 AM
When you become undead, all your HD become D12. It doesn't matter what your hit die were before that.

JaronK

Oh.. so then the d6 hit dice must be for levels 1-8 in the Walker PrC, then when you hit 9/Undead it changes to d12

Would "level adjustment buyoff" be a viable solution.. I'm not sure what all will be involved in this. Example, how much XP does it cost to "buy" a level?

""Once the total of a character's class levels (not including any Hit Dice from his creature type or his level adjustment) reaches three times his level adjustment, his level adjustment is eligible to be decreased by 1.""

"" For example, a drow (level adjustment +2) may drop to level adjustment +1 after gaining her sixth class level, and then to +0 after gaining an additional three class levels.""

I have no idea if the pros outweight the cons in that situation.

I found this quote about LA buyoff and it doesn't look like something I want to do. It's my understanding that by doing this I would basically be draining myself 1 level of XP each time I bought a level of LA.

The character must pay an amount of XP equal to (his current ECL -1)

Andezzar
2013-01-19, 04:08 AM
Would it be possible for me to gain 8 levels in Walker of the Waste and then turn myself into a Lich... rather than gaining the 9th PrC level? Would I be able to get the best of both worlds by doing that? I assume that get to keep my abilities if I leave the Walker PrC. If I did this would special abilities like Natural Armor stack?The Walker in the Waste can only turn into a dry lich after gaining the 10th level.You could even take all 10 levels, without turning, even though that would not be the smartest idea. The last level only gives you permission to undergo the sere rite. It does not automatically turn you into a dry lich.

To become a normal lich even a walker in the waste would have to meet all the normal prerequisites (CL 11, craft wondrous items etc.)

With the LA buyoff you do "lose" smoe XP but you would still be needing Less XP to reach 20 class levels, because after the Buyoff your ECL is lower. Additionally you would thus gain more XP per encounters because your class level is lower than had you advanced normally. If you can get LA buyoff, do it. Of course the best way to do it is to ignore the LA gained form templates/race changes acquired through PrCs.

GreenSerpent
2013-01-19, 07:30 AM
I think you might have the Natural Armour bonus wrong. Dry Lich is +5 as well.

Dry Liches also have a huge advantage in the fact they have 5 phylacteries. A Lich needs an Epic Spell (Aumvaror's Fragmented Phylactery) in order to gain more than one.

Valdis
2013-01-19, 12:33 PM
I think you might have the Natural Armour bonus wrong. Dry Lich is +5 as well.

Dry Liches also have a huge advantage in the fact they have 5 phylacteries. A Lich needs an Epic Spell (Aumvaror's Fragmented Phylactery) in order to gain more than one.

I have a book called The Complete Guide to Liches and it has a method of creating a Phylactery that sounds very interesting.

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o676/wichitadisciple/Phylactery_zpsb7b23f1f.png

silverwolfer
2013-01-19, 12:54 PM
read

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869746/Walker_in_the_Waste_Handbook

Urpriest
2013-01-19, 01:03 PM
- Better in melee (base attack)

...what?

I don't think you understand how templates work. As a Lich, your base attack bonus is as it was when you were living. Becoming undead only gives you the Traits of the Undead type. The d12 hit dice are a special effect of that particular template, you don't gain all the Undead Features. If you don't understand templates, you probably shouldn't be using them without either reading the rules for them or reading my Monster Handbook (link in sig).

Also, Dry Lich gets Cha to hp, which is the main reason people argue it's better. d12 hp are somewhat worthless when you can't add a Con bonus to them.

silverwolfer
2013-01-19, 01:05 PM
If you are a caster at d4 going into lich that d12 on average gives you the con bonus of +4

Jack_Simth
2013-01-19, 01:13 PM
Oh.. so then the d6 hit dice must be for levels 1-8 in the Walker PrC, then when you hit 9/Undead it changes to d12

Would "level adjustment buyoff" be a viable solution.. I'm not sure what all will be involved in this. Example, how much XP does it cost to "buy" a level?

I have no idea if the pros outweight the cons in that situation.

I found this quote about LA buyoff and it doesn't look like something I want to do. It's my understanding that by doing this I would basically be draining myself 1 level of XP each time I bought a level of LA.
You do. However, if you're actually going through those levels, it's still a good idea - especially as it never actually stops you from leveling up.

Suppose you've got a +2 LA. When you would otherwise hit your 6th class level (ECL 8, 28,000 xp), you pay 1 level's worth of XP (7,000 xp), making you have enough XP for ECL 7 (21,000), and reducing your LA by 1. So you now have 7 levels worth of XP, and 1 LA, meaning you've got 6 class levels anyway. Buying off the level did not stop you from leveling up by even one encounter.

However: If you start the game with a largish set number of XP, which can be spent however you want (class levels, crafting, LA buyoff, spells, et cetera), and you don't expect the game to go more than a couple of levels, then it's not really worthwhile to buy off an LA above about two points.

If you are a caster at d4 going into lich that d12 on average gives you the con bonus of +4
Note that a +4 con bonus equivalent isn't very good for the levels we're talking about; additionally, as it's much easier to enter Walker in the Waste as a Cleric than it is any other route, you're going from a d8 to a d12, which really is only the equivalent of a +2 Con bonus.

Valdis
2013-01-19, 01:32 PM
...what?

I don't think you understand how templates work. As a Lich, your base attack bonus is as it was when you were living. Becoming undead only gives you the Traits of the Undead type. The d12 hit dice are a special effect of that particular template, you don't gain all the Undead Features. If you don't understand templates, you probably shouldn't be using them without either reading the rules for them or reading my Monster Handbook (link in sig).

Also, Dry Lich gets Cha to hp, which is the main reason people argue it's better. d12 hp are somewhat worthless when you can't add a Con bonus to them.

You don't need to take a PrC to become a True Lich... but once you take the Walker PrC your Base Attack Bonuses look like this:
Walker BAB:
1st +0
2nd +1
3rd +1
4th +2
5th +2
6th +3
7th +3
8th +4
9th +4
10th +5

Cleric without taking the Walker PrC
Cleric BAB:
1st +0
2nd +1
3rd +2
4th +3
5th +3
6th +4
7th +5
8th +6/+1
9th +6/+1
10th +7/+2

So, Yes, a player to stays a Cleric until they turn into a Lich has a MUCH better BAB then someone who takes the Dry Lich PrC.

If you took the Walker PrC at level 6, your BAB would look like this...
6th +3
7th +4
8th +4
9th +5
10th +5

thethird
2013-01-19, 01:36 PM
Someone worried about BAB going cleric and not persisting divine power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinePower.htm) sounds weird.

Valdis
2013-01-19, 01:41 PM
Someone worried about BAB going cleric and not persisting divine power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinePower.htm) sounds weird.

Of course I'm persisting Divine Power... duh ::smallamused:

Andezzar
2013-01-19, 01:42 PM
Of course I'm persisting Divine Power... duh ::smallamused:That's an investment of 3 of your 7/8 feats.

Also there is the option of using a fractional BAB.

thethird
2013-01-19, 01:45 PM
Of course I'm persisting Divine Power... duh ::smallamused:

Then what's the difference between a cleric 15/Lich and a cleric 10 / Walker in the waste 10 / Dry Lich?

Valdis
2013-01-19, 01:56 PM
Then what's the difference between a cleric 15/Lich and a cleric 10 / Walker in the waste 10 / Dry Lich?

5 levels

That's an investment of 3 of your 7/8 feats.

Also there is the option of using a fractional BAB.

Yeah, I got:
Extend Spell (Planning Domain)
Extra Turning (Undeath Domain)
Persistant (1st Level, Human)
DMM (1st Level, Human)
Havent picked my 3rd or 6th level feats yet

What's a fractional BAB? When I have time I can look it up.

thethird
2013-01-19, 02:03 PM
5 levels

No... Assuming that you use LA buyoff, with a template that gives +4 LA you would only able to buy back one level.

So assuming LA buyoff the difference would be 3 levels. Meaning that the walker in the waste has 3 levels MORE. 3 levels that among other things give access to more 9th level spell slots, more HP and more BAB.

Valdis
2013-01-19, 02:09 PM
No... Assuming that you use LA buyoff, with a template that gives +4 LA you would only able to buy back one level.

So assuming LA buyoff the difference would be 3 levels. Meaning that the walker in the waste has 3 levels MORE. 3 levels that among other things give access to more 9th level spell slots.

True and that's why I'm leaning towards the Dry Lich. The +4 LA would kill me.
What would you guys recommend for my 3rd and 6th level feats? Was thinking Leadership so I could get my Cohort. Anything that would be a must have? As I mentioned in first post I have not played in 9 years and I've never been a DM. I had the itch to play again and recently bought about $500 in books. I'm having to learn everything over again and then some.

I also find it strange that if you take the Dry Lich PrC it has 0 LA, but if you were to create a Dry Lich the LA is +5.. lol

thethird
2013-01-19, 02:14 PM
Since you are going DMM persist. Extra turning is always nice.

Valdis
2013-01-19, 02:16 PM
Since you are going DMM persist. Extra turning is always nice.

As in getting DMM again so I can apply it to the Extra Turning feat I got from the Undeath Domain?

thethird
2013-01-19, 02:22 PM
No, as in getting more turn attempts. Getting more DMM feats wouldn't really give you anything since you are probably going to expend turn attempts on persisting stuff.

Valdis
2013-01-19, 02:30 PM
No, as in getting more turn attempts. Getting more DMM feats wouldn't really give you anything since you are probably going to expend turn attempts on persisting stuff.

You're right, I got Extra Turning and DMM mixed up. Though I already have Extra Turning... any other suggestions?

Tar Palantir
2013-01-19, 04:24 PM
You're right, I got Extra Turning and DMM mixed up. Though I already have Extra Turning... any other suggestions?

Extra Turning can be taken more than once.

Jack_Simth
2013-01-19, 05:08 PM
Extra Turning can be taken more than once.
And if you're going the Divine Metamagic route, it can be a good idea to take it repeatedly, even.

Valdis
2013-01-19, 05:21 PM
And if you're going the Divine Metamagic route, it can be a good idea to take it repeatedly, even.

How does DMM and Extra Turning work together.. since I"m going the DMM route?

Sounds like a good idea, though I need to use a feat to gain access to the Walker PrC.. I may go with the sovereign speaker PrC for a few levels so I can gain access to more domains.
I plan on finding someone who worships Bane to mentor my Cleric, so I will also need access to the Evil, Destruction, Hatred, Law, or Tyranny domain.

Anyone have a favorite between the Evil, Destruction, Hatred, Law, Tyranny domains?? I don't have experience with any of them.

Invader
2013-01-19, 08:05 PM
True and that's why I'm leaning towards the Dry Lich. The +4 LA would kill me.
What would you guys recommend for my 3rd and 6th level feats? Was thinking Leadership so I could get my Cohort. Anything that would be a must have? As I mentioned in first post I have not played in 9 years and I've never been a DM. I had the itch to play again and recently bought about $500 in books. I'm having to learn everything over again and then some.

I also find it strange that if you take the Dry Lich PrC it has 0 LA, but if you were to create a Dry Lich the LA is +5.. lol

It's because the cost of becoming a lich is absorbed as the benefit fir taking 10 levels of the PRC. Becoming a lich is an ability of the class and therefor is free. It's the same thing as if you take 10 levels in dragon disciple. At 10th level you don't have to pay the cost of becoming a half dragon.

Andezzar
2013-01-19, 08:17 PM
What's a fractional BAB? When I have time I can look it up.Instead of adding the numbers in the table for your classes, you add +1 for each level of classes with strong BAB (Fighter etc.), +0,75 for each level of classes with medium BAB (cleric etc.) and +0,5 for levels of classes with weak BAB (wizard etc.) and only round down at the end.

Example:
A rouge 1/cleric 1/bard 1 would normally have a BAB of 0
with the variant rule he would have BAB=round down(0,75+0,75+0,75)=2 just like any other character who has a medium BAB

The rules are found on p. 73 of Unearthed Arcana.

Valdis
2013-01-19, 09:23 PM
It's because the cost of becoming a lich is absorbed as the benefit fir taking 10 levels of the PRC. Becoming a lich is an ability of the class and therefor is free. It's the same thing as if you take 10 levels in dragon disciple. At 10th level you don't have to pay the cost of becoming a half dragon.

I'll buy that, sounds logical to me.

Instead of adding the numbers in the table for your classes, you add +1 for each level of classes with strong BAB (Fighter etc.), +0,75 for each level of classes with medium BAB (cleric etc.) and +0,5 for levels of classes with weak BAB (wizard etc.) and only round down at the end.

Example:
A rouge 1/cleric 1/bard 1 would normally have a BAB of 0
with the variant rule he would have BAB=round down(0,75+0,75+0,75)=2 just like any other character who has a medium BAB

The rules are found on p. 73 of Unearthed Arcana.

Thank you for the explanation

Jack_Simth
2013-01-19, 10:43 PM
How does DMM and Extra Turning work together.. since I"m going the DMM route?Well, Divine Metamagic burns turning attempts. Extra Turning gives you an extra 4 turning attempts each time you take it. So repeated copies of Extra Turning gives you more per-day uses of your semi-free metamagic. So with Divine Metamagic(Persistent Spell), every two copies of Extra Turning gives you one more use of Divine Metamagic(Persistent Spell) (plus a small amount).

Seer_of_Heart
2013-01-19, 10:56 PM
Sorry I can't look up the wording of these myself. But would using fairy mysteries initiate on a dry litch let charisma and intelligence stack for the purpose of health? Or is the way they are worded prevent them from stacking.

Jack_Simth
2013-01-19, 11:08 PM
Sorry I can't look up the wording of these myself. But would using fairy mysteries initiate on a dry litch let charisma and intelligence stack for the purpose of health? Or is the way they are worded prevent them from stacking.
Technically. The Dry Lich's Unholy Toughness specifies that "A dry lich gains a bonus to its hit points equal to its Charisma bonus (minimum +1) times its Hit Dice." whereas that aspect of Faerie Mysteries Initiate specifies "The ritual leaves both partners invigorated, allowing you to use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Constitution modifier to determine bonus hit points."

Seer_of_Heart
2013-01-19, 11:50 PM
Technically. The Dry Lich's Unholy Toughness specifies that "A dry lich gains a bonus to its hit points equal to its Charisma bonus (minimum +1) times its Hit Dice." whereas that aspect of Faerie Mysteries Initiate specifies "The ritual leaves both partners invigorated, allowing you to use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Constitution modifier to determine bonus hit points."
That's excellent, I now need to convince my dm to run a desert game where we all take that class. And see his expression once he realizes the wording of it technically allows me to gain a massive amount of health on top of my d12.

Jack_Simth
2013-01-20, 12:49 AM
That's excellent, I now need to convince my dm to run a desert game where we all take that class. And see his expression once he realizes the wording of it technically allows me to gain a massive amount of health on top of my d12.

A couple of warnings....

1) You lose caster levels taking Walker in the Waste. Two if you go all the way to 10th.
2) Nothing in RAW explicitly says that you don't suffer the LA of the Dry Litch when you hit class level 10 (character level 15), and the example Dry Lich is listed as having the +5 LA. Additionally, despite lycanthropy being around since the beginning of the game, RAW does not explicitly spell out what happens when you suddenly gain a bunch of LA. DM fiat applies out of necessity, and you may not like what he does to your XP progression.
3) The 10th level capstone says you must undergo the serene right. It doesn't say it's free. As part of the Rite, you have to make five canopic jars - each of which costs 20,000 (although that's market, and YOU have to make them, so that's really 20 days, 10,000 gp, and 800 xp each - total 100 days, 50,000 gp and 4,000 xp - plus you have to take Craft Wondrous Item, although the last is not all that much of a drawback).

Additionally: Unless you're playing Gestalt, you're going to lose some very useful party roles in a party of nothing but Walkers in the Waste.

Valdis
2013-01-20, 01:28 AM
I know this question is not related to the Dry Lich... but since I mentioned earlier that I'm going to take a few levels in a different PrC before starting on the Walker PrC.

What would cause a Cleric or Wizard to NOT be able to cast 9th level spells? I know the obvious reasons, not having enough wisdom for clerics/ intellegence for wizards. Can dipping into too many classes cause you to fall short of 9th level spells?

Invader
2013-01-20, 01:40 AM
2) Nothing in RAW explicitly says that you don't suffer the LA of the Dry Litch when you hit class level 10 (character level 15), and the example Dry Lich is listed as having the +5 LA. Additionally, despite lycanthropy being around since the beginning of the game, RAW does not explicitly spell out what happens when you suddenly gain a bunch of LA.

This isn't true and it's def not RAW or RAI. I won't rehash the argument because its been widely debated here before but you don't have to pay the LA of templates granted by prestige classes.

Jack_Simth
2013-01-20, 01:41 AM
I know this question is not related to the Dry Lich... but since I mentioned earlier that I'm going to take a few levels in a different PrC before starting on the Walker PrC.

What would cause a Cleric or Wizard to NOT be able to cast 9th level spells? I know the obvious reasons, not having enough wisdom for clerics/ intellegence for wizards. Can dipping into too many classes cause you to fall short of 9th level spells?
Yes, absolutely. At least, if they don't progress spellcasting completely. Walker in the Waste, for instance, has what's often referred to as an 8/10 spellcasting progression (it loses caster levels at 1st and 10th). A Cleric-5/Walker in the Waste-10 casts as a Cleric-13 at character level 15 - which means 7th level spells, rather than 8th. A Cleric-7/Walker in the Waste-10 casts as a 15th level Cleric, with 8th level spells, while the pure-classed cleric (17th) is getting 9th level spells.

If you're dipping things like Contemplative (Complete Divine), Church Inquisitor (Complete Divine), or Loremaster (DMG), that don't lose spellcasting advancement, then dipping doesn't prevent you from getting 9th level spells. If you're dipping into things that do lose you spellcasting advancement - such as Entropomancer (Complete Divine), Hospitaler (Complete Divine), or Shining Blade of Heroneous(Complete Divine), then yes, you're not going to get 9th level spells on schedule. Likewise, if you're taking levels in things that don't progress casting at all, you're not going to get 9th level spells on schedule either.

This isn't true and it's def not RAW or RAI. I won't rehash the argument because its been widely debated here before but you don't have to pay the LA of templates granted by prestige classes.
I said it doesn't explicitly say it's free. As you're using an abbreviations for definite, and flat out saying it's not true, would you please point me to a book or page reference where it is explicit, rather than simply contradicting me with no support?

mattie_p
2013-01-20, 07:58 AM
I'm reviewing the template now, the only way to gain the dry lich template is through the Walker in the Waste PrC.

"Dry lich" is an acquired template that can be added to any living creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature), provided it can create the required canopic jars and undergo the Sere Rite (see below).

Canopic Jar: Strong necromancy; CL 14th; Craft Wondrous Item, 9th-level walker in the waste

Take that for what it is worth.

Invader
2013-01-20, 08:34 AM
If we argued over everything in the rules that didnt explicitly say yes or no on a subjust the game would be unplayable.

Look at dragon disciple. If at 10th level you had to pay the LA why would you not just stop at 9th level and flat out take the half dragon template. You'd still have the LA but you'd double the stats you receive for the same price.

Plus if you took the LA at 10th level you'd effectively lose 5 levels making you not qualify in the first place.

Gotterdammerung
2013-01-20, 08:45 AM
I've always wanted to make a Walker in the wastes + Frost Mage build, lol. Just to be conflicted.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-01-20, 09:44 AM
Additionally: Unless you're playing Gestalt, you're going to lose some very useful party roles in a party of nothing but Walkers in the Waste.

I'm not worried about loosing party roles, if you really need someone with trap finding you just have a kobold cleric with the kobold domain. The other roles can be accomplished with buffing spells or an alternate divine casting class such as druid if you really want a tracker.

Jack_Simth
2013-01-20, 10:38 AM
If we argued over everything in the rules that didnt explicitly say yes or no on a subjust the game would be unplayable.

You seem to miss my intent with the warning.

I'm not saying one method or the other is necessarily strict RAW. I'm saying that because it's not explicit, all the internet arguments in the world don't actually matter; it's up to DM interpretation. And with it not being explicit, the DM could rule either direction quite easily.

Look at dragon disciple. If at 10th level you had to pay the LA why would you not just stop at 9th level and flat out take the half dragon template. You'd still have the LA but you'd double the stats you receive for the same price.

Yes, look at the dragon disciple. Over the course of those levels, you get everything from the half-dragon template except the type (which you get as the capstone). Now look at Walker in the Waste: when you hit the capstone and get undeadified, you get quite a few things that are not in the build-up transformational PrC. Your AC jumps by 5 (or possibly by 3) on the natural armor; you pick up Aura of Despair, Con drain, turn resistance, damage reduction, fast healing, a set of immunities, unholy toughness, water weakness, a few ability boosts, several skill boosts, and the undead type.

The two classes have extremely different approaches. Why would you think they are intended to work the same way?

But that's beside the point. I'm not really arguing that one is necessarily RAW while the other is not. I'm arguing that because it's not explicitly spelled out, a DM could rule either way without being exactly wrong, and that it won't always be in the player's favour like most people on forums seem to expect.

Plus if you took the LA at 10th level you'd effectively lose 5 levels making you not qualify in the first place.
This again goes back to "OK, what happens when you suddenly gain a bunch of LA?" - which also is not spelled out in the rules. There's a reason I mentioned lycanthropy in the original warning - an infected lycanthrope picks up racial hit dice and +2 LA, all at once. But the exact effects of that on your XP total and XP gains are never explicitly spelled out. You just implied that failing a save vs. a werebear's bite should cost you eight class levels (6 racial hit dice, +2 LA). That's a perfectly fine interpretation at your gaming table... but why that interpretation? Why not 'boost your XP total to the minimum for your class levels + the template and then proceed as normal'? Why not 'your XP total remains the same, and you don't lose your class levels - however, you are now gaining XP as though you are at that higher level; it will be a very long time before you level again, unless you get rid of the lycanthropy somehow'?

It's not explicitly spelled out, so every DM will come to their own conclusion. This may or may not line up with what any given player expects. Hence the warning.

Invader
2013-01-20, 10:52 AM
Fair enough I suppose but the difference between gaining a template from lycanthropy and gaining one through a prestige class is one is just acquired without a cost while the other is assumed to paid for through taking the prestige class.

The template is a feature of the class, if you have to pay the cost of this class feature why wouldn't you have to pay the cost of every class feature you get from any class?

Shred-Bot
2013-01-20, 11:23 AM
I've always wanted to make a Walker in the wastes + Frost Mage build, lol. Just to be conflicted.

Deserts actually can get quite chilly at night (though not necessarily cold enough for frost to form, plus the air would need more moisture).

So you could totally pull that off thematically.

Andezzar
2013-01-20, 12:19 PM
Fair enough I suppose but the difference between gaining a template from lycanthropy and gaining one through a prestige class is one is just acquired without a cost while the other is assumed to paid for through taking the prestige class. It's exactly that, an assumption. There is no rule for or against it.

The template is a feature of the class, if you have to pay the cost of this class feature why wouldn't you have to pay the cost of every class feature you get from any class?Because every other class feature does not have a Level Adjustment. Ignoring it is just like ignoring any other class feature like the inability for monks and paladins to freely multiclass.

It is my opinion as well that LAs from templates gained through a PrC should be ignored but the rules never say so.

Starbuck_II
2013-01-20, 12:26 PM
Deserts actually can get quite chilly at night (though not necessarily cold enough for frost to form, plus the air would need more moisture).

I'm going to blow your mind.
Antarctica is a desert.
http://www.4deserts.com/thelastdesert/

Desert are defined by being dry:
"a polar region with little precipitation, no lakes and no rivers. It is, in fact, the driest continent on Earth where visitors can witness vast landscapes of snow, ice, mountains, volcanoes and ocean."

Answerer
2013-01-20, 12:27 PM

The largest desert in the world is Antarctica.

Invader
2013-01-20, 01:35 PM
It's exactly that, an assumption. There is no rule for or against it.

Because every other class feature does not have a Level Adjustment. Ignoring it is just like ignoring any other class feature like the inability for monks and paladins to freely multiclass.

It is my opinion as well that LAs from templates gained through a PrC should be ignored but the rules never say so.

Right my point is that by this logic everything is an assumption.

It's just an assumption that fighters can't shoot laser beans from eyes and fireballs from his ears because there's no explicit rule that says they can't.

Jack_Simth
2013-01-20, 02:05 PM
Right my point is that by this logic everything is an assumption.

It's just an assumption that fighters can't shoot laser beans from eyes and fireballs from his ears because there's no explicit rule that says they can't.
Actually, there kinda is. DMG, page 136, section "Behind the curtain: How real is your fantasy?", first paragraph.

Things like LA don't have real world equivalents, though.