PDA

View Full Version : Seeking what class to take up in my next level

Kol Korran
2013-01-19, 02:43 AM
Hi folks, I'm in a bit of a conundrum... My character is 6th level, and I'm searching what level to take up next. I'm rarely a player, and we expected this campaign to end sooner, when the group decided to continue the campaign, possibly to quite high levels.

There are quite a few house rules, which may be relevent, I'll detail some later on. the character sheet is here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=475652) (though some things may look odd, trust the numbers on the sheet) But first the concept:

Lynn is a human fighter (we don't go much for optimization) who was part of an organization who hunts arcane casters. in the first adventure she became accused of associating with a sorcerer, and developing a sort of magic herself- she somehow contacted part of the spirit of an old red dragon. (shown in both roleplay, and later taking 1 level of dragon shaman, and 1 level of barbarian, fluffed as draconic rage)

character wise she has been a very obedient, loyal, trustworthy and so up to the hcange, since then she has grown more restless, impulsive, angry, and quite more brutal. i consider this as a sort of "liberation vacation" for her, before she might seek another purpose.

she is currently on the run from hunters from the organization, along with a gnome sorcerer, a halfling rogue (the player may change characters, i don't know to what yet) and a favourd soul of the goddess of love (which might also be changed, not sure). but the character might take influences from any of them.

In the future (8th level or so) I'd like her to start taking Kensai levels (I like the idea of an oath and a personally shaped weapon) I'm not taking itnext level since we're in a bit of a null now where I can't really find a purpose to swear to that i;m sure will last a good part of the campaign, i want it to relate to what the group chooses to do. so i need 1 (maybe 2?) filler levels:
- since it might be just 1 filler level i'd prefer not to go fighter, since that will just be a dead level.
- barbarian i don't think will give me much either.
- i though of maybe take a level of rogue, for skills and sneak attack (bypasses some DR which is very relevant in our campaign, but only the SA damage). but it seems not that related really, and i'd like to keep my BAB climbing. (not a must though)

any suggestions? important rules that may affect choice:
- alignments and anything related (spells, powers, restrictions) are gone. paladins and the like are required to sort of play by their code, but not to the letter of the law.
- most martial classes (Lynn included) can use ToB maneuvers and stances, though in a very altered way than the rules presented in the book. she will continue to get these abilities from similarily martial PrCs, but not ones with mainly a casters themed flavor
- Armor doesn't give AC, but rather DR (equal to it's full rank) which means easy to hit, much harder to penetrate. So far i've tried to stack up damage in small ways.
- don't rely on equipment, especially magical one. in this "hunt the arcane users" world magic is mostly divine, and usually comes at a high price. some of the group got nifty powerful complex magical items, but these are the exception of having not encountered a single magical weapon or armor, and less than a handful of scrolls and potions (not complaining, we like it this way, but it requires self reliance to the extreme).
- skills are sometimes group to a single skill (suche as influence for most social skills, stealth, acrobatics and so on). similar to PF, but not quite.

help? :smallsmile:

Darrin
2013-01-19, 07:56 AM
Ranger. Take the Arcane Hunter ACF for Favored Enemy: Arcanists (Complete Mage). Take the Trap Expert ACF to swap Track for Trapfinding (Dungeonscape) because you know those tricky wizards are going to trap their spellbooks, towers, inner sanctums and whatnot. Take the Spiritual Connection ACF to swap Wild Empathy for speak with animals/plants, because those ubersmart wizards never expect to be betrayed by their house plants.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-01-19, 08:28 AM
I suggest a 2 level dip into Totemist. It helps out with the general lack of magic items and gives you useful abilities like Dimension Door at will as a move action,
a wide variety of skill boosts and you can later invest in a feat to open other chakra binds like shoulders for displacer mantle or phase cloak.

It adds a lot of versatility for a relatively small investment.

only1doug
2013-01-20, 09:22 AM
How about a level of dragon fire adept?

DMVerdandi
2013-01-20, 01:01 PM
Hi folks, I'm in a bit of a conundrum... My character is 6th level, and I'm searching what level to take up next. I'm rarely a player, and we expected this campaign to end sooner, when the group decided to continue the campaign, possibly to quite high levels.

There are quite a few house rules, which may be relevent, I'll detail some later on. the character sheet is here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=475652) (though some things may look odd, trust the numbers on the sheet) But first the concept:

Lynn is a human fighter (we don't go much for optimization) who was part of an organization who hunts arcane casters. in the first adventure she became accused of associating with a sorcerer, and developing a sort of magic herself- she somehow contacted part of the spirit of an old red dragon. (shown in both roleplay, and later taking 1 level of dragon shaman, and 1 level of barbarian, fluffed as draconic rage)

character wise she has been a very obedient, loyal, trustworthy and so up to the hcange, since then she has grown more restless, impulsive, angry, and quite more brutal. i consider this as a sort of "liberation vacation" for her, before she might seek another purpose.

she is currently on the run from hunters from the organization, along with a gnome sorcerer, a halfling rogue (the player may change characters, i don't know to what yet) and a favourd soul of the goddess of love (which might also be changed, not sure). but the character might take influences from any of them.

In the future (8th level or so) I'd like her to start taking Kensai levels (I like the idea of an oath and a personally shaped weapon) I'm not taking itnext level since we're in a bit of a null now where I can't really find a purpose to swear to that i;m sure will last a good part of the campaign, i want it to relate to what the group chooses to do. so i need 1 (maybe 2?) filler levels:
- since it might be just 1 filler level i'd prefer not to go fighter, since that will just be a dead level.
- barbarian i don't think will give me much either.
- i though of maybe take a level of rogue, for skills and sneak attack (bypasses some DR which is very relevant in our campaign, but only the SA damage). but it seems not that related really, and i'd like to keep my BAB climbing. (not a must though)

any suggestions? important rules that may affect choice:
- alignments and anything related (spells, powers, restrictions) are gone. paladins and the like are required to sort of play by their code, but not to the letter of the law.
- most martial classes (Lynn included) can use ToB maneuvers and stances, though in a very altered way than the rules presented in the book. she will continue to get these abilities from similarily martial PrCs, but not ones with mainly a casters themed flavor
- Armor doesn't give AC, but rather DR (equal to it's full rank) which means easy to hit, much harder to penetrate. So far i've tried to stack up damage in small ways.
- don't rely on equipment, especially magical one. in this "hunt the arcane users" world magic is mostly divine, and usually comes at a high price. some of the group got nifty powerful complex magical items, but these are the exception of having not encountered a single magical weapon or armor, and less than a handful of scrolls and potions (not complaining, we like it this way, but it requires self reliance to the extreme).
- skills are sometimes group to a single skill (suche as influence for most social skills, stealth, acrobatics and so on). similar to PF, but not quite.

help? :smallsmile:

Just keep leveling up in fighter honestly.
Or maybe take some Soulborn levels. Incarnum really won't hurt a single bit in a campaign like this.

Two level dip in some incarnum and go back to fighter.

Palanan
2013-01-20, 07:44 PM
If you like the idea of an oathbound weapon, there's the Ancestral Relic feat from Book of Exalted Deeds, which allows you to repeatedly enhance an item without the need for magical crafting. Ordinarily you'd have to be exalted, but if alignment isn't an issue in your campaign, it's worth a look.

Also, since Darrin mentioned ranger, I'll just put in a mention for the mystic ranger from Dragon 336. Your DM might not go for it, but hey, if you're asking about BoED you might as well ask about Dragon content.

:smalltongue: