PDA

View Full Version : A Noctumancer build

Newoblivion
2013-01-19, 06:58 AM
Hello dear giants. I have started a 1 wizard / 3 shadowcaster / 1 noctumancer, and I am looking for feats or abilities that will aid me in counterspelling and genreally shutting down enemy spellcasters.

My wizard is an illusionist and I can't use evocation and transmuation (I know, I know, I wanted the challenge).

My DM allows for disadventages and I am a human. So my feats are: Shadow weave user, practiced spellcaster (wizard), arcane manuipulation, Collegiate Wizard, and Precocious Apprentice. For my two paths feat I took Shadow Cast.

As it is now the noctumancer is to early to truely use its abilities because I don't have dispell magic yet. And it might take some time (8th level).

I will be glad for any tips and ideas!! :)

Thank you :D

PersonMan
2013-01-19, 07:25 AM
Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell is a combo that lets you get early entry without becoming useless later on like Precocious Apprentice. Basically, you use VS to turn two 1st level spell slots into a 2nd level one, then Heighten a random 1st level spell so it's, for all intents and purposes, second level.

You'd need another feat for it, though, and I'm not sure if you've chosen Prec. Apprentice because of feat slot issues.

Newoblivion
2013-01-19, 08:31 AM
But the prerequisite for vesatile spellcaster is "Ability to spontaneously cast spells". And I am a wizard and shadowcaster. Unless the shadowcaster counts for it. And still I won't be able to use the spell slots of the wizard.

WinWin
2013-01-19, 08:46 AM
Reactive Counterspell is in Magic of Faerun.

The only benefit is that it is a non-action, which means it can be used in addition to a reaction, such as Warp Spell. At a low level, it probably is not viable to waste spell slots on countering enemy actions.

Your best options at an early level are to block line of sight and line of effect. If that is impossible, create diversionary targets or give enemy casters something else to worry about via conjuration or illusion.

Psyren
2013-01-19, 09:38 AM
I would have gone Wizard 3/Shadowcaster 3 myself rather than use early entry tricks. Using the "Creeping Darkness" sidebar (ToM 115) you can progress as a straight wizard, then very rapidly switch over to Shadowcaster, to avoid being behind on your progression. e.g. go to Wizard 4, then at 5th level, you can become a Wiz 3/SC 2, then at 6 you're Wiz 3/SC 3 and ready for Noctumancer.

Once you finish Noctumancer you can continue progressing as a Mystic Theurge, getting dual 9s. This also saves you the feat you'd otherwise have to spend on Precocious Apprentice.

peacenlove
2013-01-19, 11:12 AM
Complete champion has some affiliations that once / day allow you to counter a spell as an immediate action.

There is a dispel magic like spell in complete mage. 2nd level, don't remember its name but if it dispels a spell, it forces a will save or the caster also loses a spell slot. Great for PF games where energy drain no longer threatens casters.
Also look up dweomer vortex in anauroch: empire of shade (the last adventure).
Lastly an (outdated but still useful) guide to counterspelling (http://coboard.wikia.com/wiki/Counterspelling_%26_Dispelling).

Remember that shadowcaster levels add to your overall caster level (last sentence of mystery casting). Clear up with your DM what it means and you may not need a practiced spellcaster feat.

Newoblivion
2013-01-19, 01:41 PM
Remember that shadowcaster levels add to your overall caster level (last sentence of mystery casting). Clear up with your DM what it means and you may not need a practiced spellcaster feat.

:O I can't believe I haven't noticed this!!!!

Also I thought about taking Arcane Mastery for the take 10 on caster level checks which is also great for creatures with SR. Together with Shadow Weave Magic its quite nice.

gorfnab
2013-01-19, 09:06 PM
Well a level of Shadow Adept (PGtF) would make it harder for your spells to be dispelled. It would also be fairly thematic with your build. However with your build you wouldn't be able to take it until level 9. Just make sure the Shadow Adept level advances the wizard spellcasting so that you can still get double 9's, using Mystic Theurge to finish off the build.

Newoblivion
2013-01-19, 10:12 PM
Well a level of Shadow Adept (PGtF) would make it harder for your spells to be dispelled. It would also be fairly thematic with your build. However with your build you wouldn't be able to take it until level 9. Just make sure the Shadow Adept level advances the wizard spellcasting so that you can still get double 9's, using Mystic Theurge to finish off the build.

I am not a fan of taking only 1 level in a class. Doing it with the wizard was already hard enough, and I did it only to make the shadowcaster a bit better. Also I took away transmutaion mainly to nerf myself a bit because I kinda felt bad for this.

Though shadow adept is very tempting. Its a very cool PRC.

Also I siwtched the practice spellcaster (wizard) for shadow familiar and I took a bat :3

Gullara
2013-01-20, 02:22 AM
Since you're getting a familiar from a feat and I believe you can't have multiple familiars from multiple sources, don't forget to trade out the familiar you get for being a wizard for some other ACF.

Telltale
2013-01-20, 03:20 AM
Improved Counterspell, Dampen Spell, come to mind. Also
Divine Defiance, Arcane Mastery.

not sure if your DM has any feat restricts.

Edit: sorry Divine Defiance would not work with your build unless you hit a few cleric levels my bad

Newoblivion
2013-01-20, 05:26 AM
Since you're getting a familiar from a feat and I believe you can't have multiple familiars from multiple sources, don't forget to trade out the familiar you get for being a wizard for some other ACF.

I traded my wizard's familiar for Chains of Disbelief.

Yeah.. I guess I will take Imp. Counterspell. Though right now I can only cast 1st level wizard spells :)