PDA

View Full Version : PF Unarmed Fighter Archtype?

rollforeigninit
2013-01-19, 06:12 PM
I saw a couple days ago that the is apparently a fighter archetype that give increased unarmed damage. I found Unarmed Fighter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/unarmed-fighter) pretty easily but (after looking) it only grants Imp Unarmed. Is there another option that would be better? I know there's monk but that's not it.

Doorhandle
2013-01-19, 07:28 PM
I saw a couple days ago that the is apparently a fighter archetype that give increased unarmed damage. I found Unarmed Fighter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/unarmed-fighter) pretty easily but (after looking) it only grants Imp Unarmed. Is there another option that would be better? I know there's monk but that's not it.

The martial artist is a monk archetype that is A) completely non-magical, B) can be chaotic and C) can let you get fighter-only feats, but that's probably not what you are after.

Blisstake
2013-01-19, 07:35 PM
Take the Brawler. It doesn't increase your damage dice, but you don't need those. Over 20 levels you get 7 extra damage per punch, and that's on top of Weapon Specialization feats that are fighter only (as an aside, the Martial Artist Monk is allowed to take those feats as well.)

Your hit bonus will also be great, which lets you power attack more often for even greater damage potential.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-01-19, 07:35 PM
There is no Fighter archetype that will boost the base damage of unarmed strike. However, Weapon Training is a nice boost when combined with Gloves of Dueling. Also, there is the Brawler archetype, which gets weapon training 2 levels early and basically gets an extra +2 damage on it over normal weapon training. It is for the close weapons group, of which unarmed strike is a part of.

Also, since you're not a monk and none of your class features rely on not wearing armor, you can benefit from the Brawling armor enhancement from Ultimate Equipment. It can only go on light armor (bracers of armor don't count...which is bs... so monk gets hosed) and gives you an UNTYPED +2 to attack and damage w/ unarmed, as well as +2 on grapple checks, all for only a +1 armor enhancement.

Added together w/ Weapon Specialization feats, and fighter actually outdamages the monk with unarmed strikes by a fair margin, even with only d3 base damage.

Of course, you're also free to dip monk for d6 base unarmed damage, too. The increases after that aren't as big a jump (d6 to d8, d8 to d10) as the d3 to d6 is.

avr
2013-01-19, 07:41 PM
There's ... quite a few options other than fighter or monk for unarmed damage. Simplest is Cleric, cast an unoptimised inflict wounds and watch the monk cry. Then we move on to Druid (use wildshape), synthesist Summoner, Rogue or Ninja (with the Unarmed Combat Training ninja trick), Barbarian with the brutal pugilist archetype, probably some variety of Oracle. Most of these will be better or at least more interesting than fighter or monk IMO.

Did you have any qualifiers other than 'fights with bare hands'?

Hiro Protagonest
2013-01-19, 08:16 PM
...Then we move on to Druid (use wildshape), synthesist Summoner...

Did you have any qualifiers other than 'fights with bare hands'?

Fight with bear hands! :smalltongue:

Slipperychicken
2013-01-19, 09:12 PM
You can also use a Cestus (essentially leather spiked gloves), enhance it just like any weapon, make it out of special materials, deal Piercing or Bludgeoning with your UAS, and ups the damage die to d4. This will allow you to get some snazzy effects like Keen (17-20 crit range will be nice for DPR later on), and not be totally reliant on the party Wizard to bypass DR.

Doorhandle
2013-01-19, 11:37 PM
There is no Fighter archetype that will boost the base damage of unarmed strike. However, Weapon Training is a nice boost when combined with Gloves of Dueling. Also, there is the Brawler archetype, which gets weapon training 2 levels early and basically gets an extra +2 damage on it over normal weapon training. It is for the close weapons group, of which unarmed strike is a part of.

Also, since you're not a monk and none of your class features rely on not wearing armor, you can benefit from the Brawling armor enhancement from Ultimate Equipment. It can only go on light armor (bracers of armor don't count...which is bs... so monk gets hosed) and gives you an UNTYPED +2 to attack and damage w/ unarmed, as well as +2 on grapple checks, all for only a +1 armor enhancement.

Added together w/ Weapon Specialization feats, and fighter actually outdamages the monk with unarmed strikes by a fair margin, even with only d3 base damage.

Of course, you're also free to dip monk for d6 base unarmed damage, too. The increases after that aren't as big a jump (d6 to d8, d8 to d10) as the d3 to d6 is.

...FFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

On the plus side, my dream of a full-plate-clad brawler is now a reality. Also, Is that with or without dragon style/Tiger pounce? Flurrying with what amounts to a 2-handed weapon is still a lot of damage, as is using power-attack with no accuracy penalty. Of course, you could combine the two...

Also, what weapons count as an unarmed strike for the purposes of feats?

Slipperychicken
2013-01-20, 12:38 AM
...FFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

On the plus side, my dream of a full-plate-clad brawler is now a reality. Also, Is that with or without dragon style/Tiger pounce? Flurrying with what amounts to a 2-handed weapon is still a lot of damage, as is using power-attack with no accuracy penalty. Of course, you could combine the two...

I recall some damage calculations, and while the monk can somewhat out-DPR the fighter on a massive nova round, the fighter gets much better damage the rest of the time. Some people tried to defend Monk because it has "utility" (i.e. that mess of useless, non-synergistic class features and good saves)... but come on, the only reason you're giving the Monk so much as a sideward glance is because you want to punch people. But the Fighter does it better.

There aren't many times where you get to say this, so I'll say it again. The fighter does it better.

grarrrg
2013-01-20, 01:57 AM

If you are dipping Monk, then you may as well go for 3 or 4 levels and nab the Monastic Legacy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/monastic-legacy-combat) feat while you're at it (quick note: be careful what Archetype you choose, as you need Still Mind to take the feat).
It counts Non-Monk levels are 1/2-Monk for Unarmed Damage.
So a Monk 4/[something]16 would have a level 12 equivalent punch (2d6)

You'd also get a couple bonus feats, and various class features that may-or-may-not function in Armor. Evasion is worth mentioning, as it will still function in Light Armor.

subject42
2013-01-20, 04:04 PM
It counts Non-Monk levels are 1/2-Monk for Unarmed Damage.
So a Monk 4/[something]16 would have a level 12 equivalent punch (2d6)

You'd also get a couple bonus feats, and various class features that may-or-may-not function in Armor. Evasion is worth mentioning, as it will still function in Light Armor.

I believe that feet also stacks with the static damage increase of the brawler, which means that a monk/brawler hybrid will do more damage on average than a monk.

Slipperychicken
2013-01-20, 05:18 PM
I believe that feet also stacks with the static damage increase of the brawler, which means that a monk/brawler hybrid will do more damage on average than a monk.

Well, you're losing out on at least 3 levels of Brawler (damage from feats, weapon training, and a point or two of BAB). I'm not sure whether that's worth the damage dice increase.