PDA

View Full Version : Relatively new to the game, help me with a Wizard build?

tadkins
2013-01-19, 10:48 PM
I've noticed that there are a lot of Wizard related threads right now already, and that some of you might be sick of hearing about them, so forgive me for putting another up. xD

That said, I had a cool character concept in mind that I'd like to play in a game one day, but being relatively inexperienced I'm not sure of the best way to build him to be an optimal contributor.

He'd be a dwarf wizard, sort of an archaeologist-type character. His interests would lie in lore, magic and artifacts. I think it'd be cool for him to be able to craft items for the group. The Loremaster PrC seems like it'd be perfect, as I would, among other perks of the class, get to focus on knowledge skills, be able to take a couple of craft item feats, along with having Appraise and UMD. At the same time I would probably give him some points in Craft (Gemcutting) and Profession (Mining). He'd be a very earthly character.

Past that, I'm not sure what else I could do, particularly in regards to other feats or strategies to make the most of such a character. Wizard10/Loremaster10 is the best I could come up with on my own and I'm not sure how solid of a choice that'd be.

Lastly, there's one other thing I'm interested in doing, and that is trading out the familiar. I'm currently playing a wizard in another game (a gnome illusionist). The familiar not only seems largely useless, but I'm hesitant to use it for anything but keeping it in her bag for a free Alertness feat. What are some options out there for trading the familiar out?

Thanks in advance for your guys' help. :)

Aharon
2013-01-19, 10:53 PM
Earth Dreamer from Races of Stone gets you into touch with the earth and has the highly useful Earth Sight. It might fit into the build thematically.

DMVerdandi
2013-01-19, 11:30 PM
I've noticed that there are a lot of Wizard related threads right now already, and that some of you might be sick of hearing about them, so forgive me for putting another up. xD

That said, I had a cool character concept in mind that I'd like to play in a game one day, but being relatively inexperienced I'm not sure of the best way to build him to be an optimal contributor.

He'd be a dwarf wizard, sort of an archaeologist-type character. His interests would lie in lore, magic and artifacts. I think it'd be cool for him to be able to craft items for the group. The Loremaster PrC seems like it'd be perfect, as I would, among other perks of the class, get to focus on knowledge skills, be able to take a couple of craft item feats, along with having Appraise and UMD. At the same time I would probably give him some points in Craft (Gemcutting) and Profession (Mining). He'd be a very earthly character.

Past that, I'm not sure what else I could do, particularly in regards to other feats or strategies to make the most of such a character. Wizard10/Loremaster10 is the best I could come up with on my own and I'm not sure how solid of a choice that'd be.

Lastly, there's one other thing I'm interested in doing, and that is trading out the familiar. I'm currently playing a wizard in another game (a gnome illusionist). The familiar not only seems largely useless, but I'm hesitant to use it for anything but keeping it in her bag for a free Alertness feat. What are some options out there for trading the familiar out?

Thanks in advance for your guys' help. :)

Hmm... Loremaster is okay... But you can do better than just that. Add these on.

1. Spontaneous Divination ACF.
Lets you cast spontaneous divination spells for the cost of your fifth level bonus feat.

2. Ancestral Knowledge feat

3.Craft feats.

Story
2013-01-19, 11:54 PM
If you want to focus primary on crafting, go Artificer instead of Wizard (assuming it's allowed).

tadkins
2013-01-20, 12:10 AM
Earth Dreamer from Races of Stone gets you into touch with the earth and has the highly useful Earth Sight. It might fit into the build thematically.

Ah, looks interesting. I just read up on the class and it could work. He could use it's powers to discover the locations of lost, buried artifacts and valuable mining locations.

Past that though, is it actually a decent PrC? I couldn't find any info on it in any of the wizard handbooks.

Hmm... Loremaster is okay... But you can do better than just that. Add these on.

1. Spontaneous Divination ACF.
Lets you cast spontaneous divination spells for the cost of your fifth level bonus feat.

2. Ancestral Knowledge feat

3.Craft feats.

Spontaneous Divination looks cool, as does Ancestral Knowledge. This would mean I need to build the character with a decent WIS as well as INT though, right?

Also, by craft feats, do you mean the ones you need to qualify for Loremaster? I was thinking of going with Craft Wondrous Item and Forge Ring. I picture him being able to work with the gems and metals he'd find.

If you want to focus primary on crafting, go Artificer instead of Wizard (assuming it's allowed).

Crafting wouldn't be his big focus, but more of a side thing. His main thing would be lost knowledge and magical lore.

Based off what little I know of the Artificer class (even the game in general), and what I've heard about the class, it's probably not one I should tackle quite yet. xD

Flickerdart
2013-01-20, 12:14 AM
You may be better off with Archivist than Wizard - they have a lot of class features based around knowing things.

For a Wizard base, check out Urban Savant, an arcane casting PrC based around knowing things.

tadkins
2013-01-20, 12:34 AM
You may be better off with Archivist than Wizard - they have a lot of class features based around knowing things.

For a Wizard base, check out Urban Savant, an arcane casting PrC based around knowing things.

I could keep Archivist in mind as well. It'd depend on whether the party needs an arcane or divine caster I suppose.

Would the Loremaster PrC work well with the Archivist? Also, can you tell me where the Urban Savant comes from?

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-20, 12:38 AM
Remember, Archivist is a divine class! When making an Archivist crafter, I always like looking at Runecaster (PGtF and FRCS, I believe. I don't think the printings are different).

gorfnab
2013-01-20, 12:40 AM
Also, can you tell me where the Urban Savant comes from?
Cityscape

Wizard (Spontaneous Divination) 5/ Paragnostic Apostle 1/ Urban Savant 10/ Paragnostic Apostle 4

Flickerdart
2013-01-20, 12:41 AM
Urban Savant is I think Cityscape, or possibly Races of Destiny. You'd need a bit of refluffing before it could serve as an archaeologist, though.

Archivists use both Intelligence and Wisdom, so they won't be able to snag all the really high secrets right away and then leave, but if you're planning to stick around in the class, it should work fine. Then again, archivists have actual class features, so you may want to come back to the class after a brief foray into the PrC, or wish to stay the course.

tadkins
2013-01-20, 01:14 AM
Remember, Archivist is a divine class! When making an Archivist crafter, I always like looking at Runecaster (PGtF and FRCS, I believe. I don't think the printings are different).

I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with those acronyms, PGtF and FRCS.

Yep, I could have two builds of the same character ready; one archivist and one wizard, depending on whether the party needs a divine or arcane caster.

Cityscape

Wizard (Spontaneous Divination) 5/ Paragnostic Apostle 1/ Urban Savant 10/ Paragnostic Apostle 4

Looks like a strong build, but I'm not sure it's exactly what I'm looking for. PA and US are both dependent on certain organizations; it looks like it would require a lot of refluffing and DM consultation.

Urban Savant is I think Cityscape, or possibly Races of Destiny. You'd need a bit of refluffing before it could serve as an archaeologist, though.

Archivists use both Intelligence and Wisdom, so they won't be able to snag all the really high secrets right away and then leave, but if you're planning to stick around in the class, it should work fine. Then again, archivists have actual class features, so you may want to come back to the class after a brief foray into the PrC, or wish to stay the course.

I can't explain why but I really like what the loremaster class offers, so I'm leaning toward a build which has that. As an archivist it would be difficult to lose those sweet class features, though. Frankly, I'm torn. xD

Flickerdart
2013-01-20, 01:24 AM
I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with those acronyms, PGtF and FRCS.
Player's Guide to Faerun and Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

I can't explain why but I really like what the loremaster class offers, so I'm leaning toward a build which has that. As an archivist it would be difficult to lose those sweet class features, though. Frankly, I'm torn. xD
Loremaster will probably be easier to get approved, since it and wizard are both core. It also makes referencing it a lot easier (since they're online for free). Heroes of Horror is a bit obscure.

tadkins
2013-01-20, 01:34 AM
Player's Guide to Faerun and Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

Loremaster will probably be easier to get approved, since it and wizard are both core. It also makes referencing it a lot easier (since they're online for free). Heroes of Horror is a bit obscure.

Ah okay, thanks! I knew about those books, my mind just went blank when I saw the acronyms. xD

The fact that Loremaster is core does help, but it's mostly because it has a ton of things that I like. Appraise, UMD, various secrets, and an emphasis on knowledge and lore. I like my characters to be able to figure tough things out.