PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Escape from the Myst (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-19, 11:48 PM
You currently stand on the main street of the Port Town Perth of the Kingdom Dansheil, just entering the main gate. Sights and smells threaten to overwhelm the parties senses as you all find yourselves assaulted on all sides by venders trying to sell you what seems to be a thousand different things.

Raven, the Cleric of Wee Jus, has lead you to this place in hopes of finding an underground library that was spoken of in some of her clergies' books. If you can find it, it would mean monetary gifts from the Church.

So, what do you do Hero's?

Chilingsworth
2013-01-20, 12:34 AM
Peilion reaches into his pack and withdraws a book titled "Sights and Attractions of the Realms."

(quietly, to Raven his party):

Before we begin our quest, we should probably find a place to base ourselves out of for the time being.

He then flips through the pages of the book, looking for tips on chosing an inn, or perhaps the location of the local temple of We Jas (if there is one.)

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-20, 12:47 AM
Raven nods and looks about at the wide assortment of vendors. Sindri is waving off a man trying to sell him a heavily gilded sword, and Wyrd is just gone, as in you can't see where the Changling has left to..

It takes but a moment to find the entry on Perth;

Sea of Coral, Port Perth
This is the Kingdoms eighth largest port and holds a number of inns of decent, in this humble writers opinion, smell and repute. The most Noteable among these fair Inns is the Damsel's Cry a fine inn, this Inn is the one noted on the Map.
For the more religious readers the town itself is a host to over seven churches of awe inspiring workmanship found further towards the center of the town.
The towns main trade is...
There is no more relevant data after this point.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-20, 12:59 AM
Roll Listen (DC 11)

Chilingsworth
2013-01-20, 01:07 AM
He returns the book to his pack.

(quietly, to the party members in earshot):

Well, the guidebook recomends Damsel's Cry Inn. It also mentions the temple district is near the center of town. I'm more inclined to trust the followers of We Jas than an innkeeper. Besides which, they may have leads to offer on our quest. What do you guys think?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-20, 01:22 AM
Raven nods her head, completely fine with going to whatever her faith uses for a sanctuary. She turns towards Sindri to call him over, but he seems to be getting into a rather heated debate with a... sword? A heavily guilded sword of elven make, and quite a bit smaller than the

"Now listen here you hunk of rust you will let me go or I'll..." The Half-Orge seems especially aggravated and keeps shooting the vender very dirty looks. The vender is just say how fine a choice that sword would be, it looks like a longsword but you really can't tell from this distance. Although there is a sparkle about the sword that makes you want to go over and look at it.
Will Save

Chilingsworth
2013-01-20, 01:30 AM
What the... Sindri, are you alright?

Approaches Sindri to see what's going on.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-20, 01:42 AM
The effects of whatever is on that sword don't even get a chance with either you or Raven. Both casters shake off the effects easily, but for a moment you wanted to go over and buy that outrageous sword that Sindri seems to be... He hasn't let go you note, and with the way he's pawing at his hand between anger mutterings at the blade and its vender it seems like he can't!

Raven starts over as well towards Sindri when the vender drops a fireball. (Not really, figure of speech.)

"Only 1500 Gold my intrepid adventurer, and you can have this fine blade." The salesman says with all the grease of bard with Glibness active. Sindri scowls for a moment and shakes his head. The vender smiles and says with an odd glimmer in his eye. "Then just set that fine blade down my good sir."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-20, 01:45 AM
Peilion wracks his mind to figure out exactly what's going on. (also to identify if any spell was just cast.)

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-20, 01:57 AM
It takes a moment all the while the vender seems to slowly be losing his calm face, but you remember a thesis on cursed items you read once, an excerpt was in the Almanac you recall. This sword is showing all of the signs of being a cursed item, which would explain Sindri staring at the blade and muttering about 'chewing his own arm off, after all Raven can probably heal that...'

He seems to seriously be contemplating do as such.

Raven is glowering at the man.

"I won't be intimidated by these strong arm tactic." He says, that odd glimmer seems to shine in his eyes. "If you don't let go of my best sword I'll have to call the guards."

Roll Sense Motive

Chilingsworth
2013-01-20, 02:08 AM
Sir, that "finest sword" of yours is clearly cursed. I strongly suggest you get it purified immediately. Sindri, try to stay calm, we'll do everything can to help you!

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-20, 02:15 AM
The vender scowls at you and mutters something, you are not sure but it sounded awfully like 'Fraking Elves'. Sindri still at the word cursed and seems to go into the same hyper alert state he enters during battle, at you're assurances he doesn't do anything but seems ready for everything. Raven nods and pulls a jewelers lope out of her belt pouch along with a thin book and begins looking over the weapon in detail.

Something about this guys voice rings untrue to you.

He rolled a two. I laughed so hard.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-20, 02:20 AM
(Ignoring the racial slurr, and showing true concern)

Sir, that sword is cursed or worse. If you don't realise it, then you may also have been affected. Please, for the sakes of both our friend and yourself, let's get to a healer.

Raven, what do you make of that thing?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-20, 02:33 AM
Raven turns to you and sighs. Her voice is even and she seems to be holding back something. She takes a few steps away from the vender before speaking.

"All the guilding is getting in the way but this thing isn't worth the amount he's," she waves at the man who even now is scowling at your back, "asking for. It's a masterwork of junk, the metal used is horrid where you can see it. I've never seen such a bad sword in my life."

She shakes her head and puts away her book and lope.

"He's either caught in the enchantment like you said or trying to sell Sindri a bag of everfull gold coins, if you catch my meaning." She glances over to the man. "Let's just take them both to a temple for a remove curse, at his expense."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-20, 02:39 AM
Hmm.. I trust your analysis, Raven. Sir, please accompany us to the temple of We Jas. For your own good and our friend's.

*Moves so he is adjacent to the vendor, in as nonthreatening a manner as he can.*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-20, 02:49 AM
Sindri mutters to himself and looks irritable but he agrees with you both.

"I can trust you guys on the field why not this?" He says after a moment. "Seems to make me easier to anger too. I feel... not calm."

The vender looks downright insulted, and calls for the guard. As soon as he starts to yell a young man in the uniform of the guard places a hand on the venders shoulder. He looks over the group and gives you and Raven a wink.

"What's the problem here, sir." He asks in a think coastal accent.

"They say my wares are cursed. I won't have it!" The man looks like he's going to rile himself into a fit.

"That's a pretty hard accusation, sirs. Do any of you have any proof, or a way to get proof?" The says as he casually slides his eyes over you all.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-20, 03:12 AM
(Not turning his back on the vendor, but answering the guard)

Sir, my companion is a cleric of We Jas *indicates Raven* I am a wizard of the family Ventinans, or Windwalker in the common tounge. My name is Peilion, and my companion is Raven. In addition to the obvious symptoms of distress our friend Sindri there is displaying, he normally distains longswords and would have been extremely unlikely to consider one for purchase of his own volition.

To be clear, I am not sure that the good vendor is intentionally trying to scam anyone. It is entirely possible that he has been affected by whatever is wrong with the sword.

As for proof, we have our own analysis of the situation. As I can understand your reasons not to trust those, we would be more than willing to seek the advice of a priest or arcanist whose credentials you recognise. Indeed, we would like to take our friend, this sword, and the likely similarly afflicted vendor here to the temple of We Jas for a more thorough analysis and any nessicary treatment.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-20, 03:23 AM
The guard smiles slightly. The vender on the other hand seems to be ready to bolt.

"Well since you are all being such good sports about it," the guard says and in that moment you notice his eyes are two different colors, "we'll just take this down to the Temple of the Crimson Sisterhood, the local clergy of Wee Jus you see. Names Jack by the way, Captain of the Perth City Water-Watcher Militia."

He seems to have a darn good grip on the Vender who is now sweating heavily.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-20, 03:33 AM
(Peilion considers what he knows/has heard about the Crimsion Sisterhood)

Thank you, Jack. A pleasure to meet you, though I would wish it were under better circumstances *bows politely*

Also, in case you aren't aware, victims of cursed objects can behave oddly. Also, our friend has indicated that the sword is interfering with his emotions to some extent. If this object behaves as many such objects do, extended exposure and contact with it is likely to cause such effects to worsen. As such, our vendor friend may lose control of his actions. Would you like Raven and or I to keep ready to assist you in restraining him should that happen?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-20, 03:45 AM
The Crimson Sisterhood is indeed a local variation of the standard Wee Jas religion, and the only differences are that the Sisterhood believes that Wee Jas and Baccob are allies, some go to the extreme of saying lovers but that is only in the most extreme Sisters.

Jack shakes his head and taps the handle of his blackjack.

"When it comes with dealing with runners just leave it up to me." He says as he begins to guide you towards the center of the city. He thanks a street rat nearby for the quick info.

As you look at the street rat you see his bones seemingly shift of their own accord.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-20, 03:48 AM
(shift like I maybe have seen Wyrd's before?) :smallamused:

As you wish. Just thought it was a good idea to offer, just in case.

*when they head off, Peilion stays near the captain and the vendor*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-20, 03:54 AM
(shift like I maybe have seen Wyrd's before?) :smallamused:

Indeed.

You are currently headed toward the Temple District when the man tries to run. Jack blurs and slams his Blackjack into the venders skull knocking the man unconscious.

"There's your answer." Jack says with a slightly labored breath.

Readied action, quickdraw iaijutsu focus called shot to the head. Rolled a 19 on hit for +2d6 dmg. Nonlethal cause a Blackjack is a Longer version of a Sap. Wow, he did way better than I thought he would.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-20, 04:08 AM
Impressive. He still might be a victim here, though. Raven, since Sindri is disabled for the moment, shall we help the vendor get to the temple?

*Peilion props up the vendor by an arm.* (13 strength)

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-20, 04:18 AM
Your Martial Lore tells you quite a few things about what just happened. First it wasn't a maneuver but it was practiced to the point of perfection. (Max ranks Iaijustsu Focus) Second the style comes from off continent, from where exactly you'd have to get your books out and actually look. Third, if this man had been hit by anything other than a glorified billy club he'd be very dead right now.

Fourth, the vender is two-hundred and sixty-six pounds measured in fat @$$ needs to diet. (While this isn't usually true in our world the only way to weigh in that heavy in D&D is to be made of muscle or fat) You find yourself staggering at his weight.

Jack stops Raven before she takes up the other side and takes up the weight to help you out. (14 str) It takes a few minutes longer but you get to the Church.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-20, 04:24 AM
Hmm... Yes, very impressive, Jack. I suspect Sindri would enjoy conversing with you once we get him cured. You'd likely be able to learn alot from eachother. Now, would someone please help me carry this oaf? I could just drag him, but I wouldn't want to cause him any further harm from being dragged over the ground. He's either a victim or a suspect. If he's a victim, then we should take care. If he's a suspect, I wouldn't want to cause you to go through any more paperwork than nessicary on acount of his condition when he's taken in, Jack.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-20, 04:37 AM
Sindri nods enthusiastically as he seems to have mastered himself. You finally get to the steps of the small church. Jack aids you with the vender and you see a familarly dressed street rat dart into the church ahead of you.

You may use Marital Lore to figure out Sindri's recovery. Review what you know of this Church with Knowledge (Local).

Chilingsworth
2013-01-20, 04:43 AM
Right, we're here. Lady willing, we'll be able to get you cured, Sindri, and some answers. Are you holding up alright, buddy?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-20, 04:57 AM
Sindri nods his head and continues to concentrate on maintaining what you identify as the Moment of Perfect Mind concentration technique to beat off the cursed blades powers.

"It caught me off guard. Took a bit for me to counter the opening damage, but I'm not giving it an inch any longer." He says his voice barely different from it's usual tone even while concentrating hard enough to beat the curse.

"Is the blade alive, an Item familiar?" Raven asks as she is greeted by several Sisters. "These are my companions, we've come in contact with a Cursed blade, and request aid from this temple."

"Not alive," Sindri says as he scowls at the blade, "the curse is... uh persistent. It keeps trying over and over to make me want it. It's a strange feeling."

As the Sisters move about speaking on one thing or another, you go over what you know of this Temple. The Sisters of this Temple are known for generosity to the people, an example of which is the fact that they send their most minor priestesses out among the beggars to create good water free of impurities, but even with these good deeds the general popular of Perth seems to be stuck on the stereotype that the Ruby Lady is a Goddess of Death.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-20, 05:09 AM
*Peilion nods politely to the Sisters (this being the most he can do while carrying the lardy vendor)* This man *indicates vendor* was the proximal source of the blade. It's almost certain he's either a victim of some aspect of its curse as well, or a scammer. We'd greatly appreciate it if you could help us determine which.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-21, 11:11 PM
After a few moments the Sister have sent for one of the better priestesses and it takes a few minutes before the woman stands before you. Raven takes a moment to get into a quick conversation with the woman in hushed tones. After a second the two separate and the Sister mutters an incantation for a spell. Her eyes shimmer from the pale green irises to pools of silver with a compass rose in startling violet pupil. She then seems to stare straight through the vender, as if she were looking at something far past him.

After about sixteen seconds she turns her head from the vender's body. "This one is unaffected by any form of curse magic, although he is using some form of enchantment, a potion perhaps." She says as she turns her eyes towards Sindri where he had settled on a bench whilst looking around at the fresco's with a mildly interested eye. He seems content speaking with Jack in low tones. Jack stands after a moment or two and scowls at the vender's body. "Your friends will is strong, but this curse is a curse that persistently renews itself and undermines the will of those under it's snare. I have seen it's work before."

Listen checks to see if you can hear Raven and priestess? Spellcraft to Identify the spell? Listen check for Sindri and Jack's conversation? All of the above?

Chilingsworth
2013-01-21, 11:36 PM
Relieved at being able to release the vendor, Peilion lets go of him.

Not being a particularly attentive man, he is barely aware of the conversations around him. However, he watches the Priestess' magic with intense interest.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-23, 05:13 PM
The spell is a variant of Detect Magic, which you remember being one of the most adaptable spell lines in divination magic, a magic known for adaptability. Where a normal Detect Magic would tell the Priestess what magics were being used this seems to be a way of actually reading a spell already cast and from the way she is writing in her own little notebook she can identify the spell quite easily.

As you are completely entrapped by what you believe to be a custom spell you don't hear either Wyrd until s/he taps your shoiler.

"Did I do good, oh great leader?" s/he says ending with a smile, now in the shape of a comely young woman. The great leader bit is a running joke that most of the good ideas come from the leader, and you have a run of them often enough.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-23, 05:19 PM
*Pielion gives a slight start, but quickly realises who's speaking to him*

Yes, very well. It was good to know you were near at hand should things have gone awry. Well, more awry.

*he smiles*

Chilingsworth
2013-01-23, 05:45 PM
Turning to the Priestess:

Pardon me, eldest *bows ploitely* What needs to be done to free our friend from this item? Also,

*turns to Captain Jack*

Should that man's stock be siezed for examination? Afterall, if he's trying to sell one cursed item, he might be trying to sell others. I also doubt it would be a good idea to let possibly cursed items to be left unguarded.

Lastly, what are we going to do with him? I'm guessing between you eldest, and your sisters, and the enchantments I can offer, we could make a decent job of interrogating him, if it comes to that. And we had guard approval, of course. *Looks to Captain Jack*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-24, 01:50 AM
"The use of Enchantment, is strictly restricted to temple grounds, or under the sight of a Justicar." Jack says, he looks to be about to say more, when a guard enters rushing at a respectful pace.

"Captain, you are needed at the docks, a huge ship is on the way. It isn't hailing the Wardens or anything it's just sitting outside the Coral Gate." The guard seemed a bit panicked.

"Calm down, respectfully Eldest, I'll leave this in your capable hands." Jack leaves swiftly with the guard. Eldest Waves at the body and two sisters walk over and drag the vender slightly away.

"The curse is something that can be broken with some effort. We are capable of it, but it will take a little while. You may wish to go out and do something else." The Eldest says as she is still looking over the blade. "I'll have some sister's try to find the venders wares."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 01:56 AM
Thank you Eldest. Sindri, you'll be ok. Hmm, do you have a cell for this fellow, and if so, would you like us to put him there?

*indicating the vendor*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-24, 02:05 AM
Sindri, glances about at the fresco's and looks over at Raven and Wyrd.

"Just leave Raven with me. She can explain all this stuff while I'm getting unstuck." He waves at all of the rhing about hear.

The Eldest casts a glowing eye in the vender's direction.

"Sister's have him Held and then place him in a guest room for now. Make sure to have someone glaze the lock." She smiles over at you. "Well go on, Child."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 02:07 AM
Yes, Eldest. *bows*

Wyrd, care to join me in seeing what that ship's about?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-24, 02:12 AM
Wyrd, nods his/her head and both of you exit the temple.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 02:14 AM
*We head to the docks*

(do we encounter anything of note in route? If not, what do we enounter when there?)

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-24, 02:31 AM
As you make your way down towards the docks you find yourself swept up in a crowd headed in the same direction. It seems a lot of the common people are interested in the same thing you are. Once you find yourself at the docks you see the boat that he guard spoke of.

It is a massive ship with at least two floors of window-things. It's odd that the massive ship has no sails that you can see.

spot check for more details. a Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) check could tell you more about the ship itself.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 02:35 AM
Looking around, Pielion is unusually observant, this despite his interest in the ship warranting his inspection of his copy of the book "Righting the Angles, Building the Towers."

(He returns his book to his pack when he is finished with it.)

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-24, 02:39 AM
You note the Water-Warden's getting into their small skiffs to go over to the boat, but something makes you tense as you look at the boat. You are forced to pull out your books, and after a moment you find the page with the relevant page. A drawing of a ship seen in the western sea during a war between the Kingdoms of Dul Shel and another continent.

Broadside, Cannons...

Oh noes...

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 02:45 AM
whorelice, he curses under his breath.

Wyrd, that's a likely hostile warship. We have to warn the Wardens!

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 02:48 AM
Pielion is far too distracted by the crowd and his growing concern to spot any Warden.

Wyrd, do you see a Warden we can warn?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-24, 02:55 AM
Wyrd's eyes grow a little, not widen grow, and his/her hair goes white. If it's enough to get your normally calm self cursing, s/he begins rushing down the through crowds and as you watch s/he reform his/her face in flowing change that no one seems to note save you.

Wyrd gets to the docks proper and solders past the last of the civilians. S/he calls out for someone to help him/her, and points at you from a distance while talking fast to the guard.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 03:00 AM
*Pielion follows Wyrd and meets the guard*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-24, 03:07 AM
How Wyrd did this you have no idea the body press is insane and you can't get far there than fifteen feet every few moments. (Crowds are considered difficult terrain)

You see the guards coming towards you, maybe you can meet in the middle.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 03:10 AM
(I figured that might happen)

*I try to meet the guard in the middle*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-24, 03:14 AM
It takes a few moments, but you you finally meet with the guard.

"The young man said you had some info on the mystery ship?" The guard asks, as he glances back at the skiffs that are currently signaling the ship.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 03:17 AM
*nods*

Yes, sir. I believe that ship to be a warship similiar in design to ones used against kingdoms of this continent in the last intercontinental war. At least, it has desgin elements conisistent with such... and, a large number of guns.

*pulls out his book and shows him the relevant passage(s)*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-24, 03:24 AM
"The heck are 'guns'?" The guard says and takes a look at the book before muttering. "Thunder cannons... Oh Smite me, Gods." The guard turns toward the docks "EVERYONE OUT OF THE WAY! EMERGENCY!"

When the guard started yelling the people parted and you note something.

Spot Check.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 03:29 AM
(What do I note?)

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-24, 03:39 AM
You barely see the bottom windows open, but not to reveal Thunder Cannons. The holes begin leaking a strange green mist. The Wardens look like they may get caught in it when a man gestures with a staff. The Mist hits something invisible and stops it's advance.

Without even consulting your books you know what it is. Cloudkill, worse by the almost human way the spell is shrouding the port it's a bunch of Living Spell Cloudkills. A chill grips your spine. (Magic of Ebberon. Welcome to the Myst.)

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 03:49 AM
Pielion yells as loudly as he can:

STAY CLEAR OF THOSE CLOUDS, THEY'RE DEADLY POSION!

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-26, 07:34 PM
People look toward you after your statement and for a few moments there is not but silence. Then a peasant man runs full sprint from the crowd and like the flak of snow that sat wrong atop the mountain everything begins to crumble. Before another word is spoken dozens of commoners are rushing about with blind panic lighting their eyes.

Screams and pleas to over a dozen gods rend the air as you are swept up in the rapids of humanity.

Balance Check, please.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-26, 07:37 PM
Of the guard groups I see, which seems to be the most effective? How far away from me is that group?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-26, 07:43 PM
You manage to keep your footing as the crowd surges, and pushes against you. Your eyes seek out the nearest guard unit, but they have been compromised in the worst of ways, a few of their men got caught in the initial surge and they are trying to recover those that are getting trampled.

Spot Check

Chilingsworth
2013-01-26, 07:44 PM
A peak inside Pielion's Mind:

If I had had a couple months to prepare, a hundred archers at my command, and a dispel ward wand, I might be able to sink that ship with explosive rune-laced arrows. As it is, Wyrd and I will have to flee. Maybe I can give at least a few guards a better chance before I go.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-26, 07:51 PM
Wyrd, I don't think there's anything we can do here. We should flee to the temple to warn the Sisters and Sindri. Let's make haste!

*Cast Haste, Impromptu Extending it, affecting Wyrd, myself, and as many bystanders as I can get within 30ft of both of us.*

Then flees.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-26, 08:08 PM
Wyrd grins at you as the magic spreads out into him/her and others. S/he grabs you by your cloak and takes a step. For a moment the world shimmers in an odd way, and then both you and Wyrd are on a nearby roof.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-26, 08:31 PM
Thanks, Wyrd. Though, what did you just do? Maybe we can talk about it later? Now, then... how to get to the temple.

I look around, trying to get my barings.

made spot and knowledge (local) checks, figuring those are the appropriate skills.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-29, 09:57 PM
You notice that you are near the docks, on a roof of a building that sits near the harbor, below is the writhing mass of the peasantry as they flee in masse. You barely note the changling next to you picking up a small coin of some ferrous metal but you do manage to catch it. Wyrd swings his/her crimson locks out of her/his face and smiles somewhat wearily at you.

"Later, perhaps. The high-ground is a highway for us right now." S/he says as s/he indicates the rooftops. You are startled to note that the buildings are close enough together to create an almost literal road all the way to the small church of the Sisterhood. You know this wasn't intended, as you've read up that the cities small alleyways and grid-like street system were an innovation when the Duke who founded this city set down the ground work. The system was supposed to create a city with as many defensible points as possible, which the many small streets help do so. "We could make good time by using it."

Bonus
The city has a defensive system that activates a wall of force that rings itself around the entire city. Your Knowledge (Local) let's you remember this and the fact it can only be activated by casters given special permissions from the local Duke.

Also this City itself is 450 years old. Just FYI.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-29, 10:11 PM
Alright, let's go!

I make my way to the sisterhood's church as swiftly as possible.
(movement rate 30 ft, 60 ft for the first minute - while the extended haste lasts jump mod +1, +13 while haste lasts)

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-29, 10:25 PM
For the first minute you cover much of the ground that took you much longer last time. You move as the crow flies over the roofs of the many buildings and make much better time. By the time you feel the magic in your limbs fade to normal levels and you begin to slow down you are well over half way across the distance and it only takes you two more minutes to make it.

Make three Spot Checks; 1 for each minute spent in the skyline. 20 ft above ground level.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-29, 10:30 PM
Peek inside Pielion's Mind:

Those cloudkills would... kill me on contact for sure. I don't have the spell loadout to fight them effectively, either. The wardens are probably all at the docks. The only people I know of around here that might be able to help are the Sisterhood. Besides which, I have to make sure Sindri and Raven will be alright.

As per usual, and possibly exasperated by the situation, Pielion is not particularly perceptive. Though, he does get somewhat moreso as the haste spell wears off.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-29, 10:48 PM
You can make out the Cloudkills moving about the harbor and it is only after three minutes of solid glancing about every now and again lost in thought that you note the three small armies on the land side of the city. Each is barely large enough to be called an army of any sort, barely a hundred solders each, but the fact that they are also releasing Living Cloudkills from their ranks shows they are at least in league with those on the ship.

There are a force of gobliniods lead by several hobgoblins who have a large lumbering thing following in their wake. Another force seems to be of normal folk, lots of half-elves and humans. The final force is smaller than all of them you note nothing unusual but a large banner barring a skull imposed upon a scythe, followers of Nerull.

The point of the game will be made clear soon...

Chilingsworth
2013-01-29, 11:11 PM
Upon reaching the church:

Sisters! Sindri! Raven! Nerull worshipers are attacking! The ship released living cloudkill spells, three regiments are attacking from from the land supported by some sort of large warbeast and more living cloudkills!

"regiment" is just my best guess at the proper name for units of that size.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-29, 11:42 PM
Raven seems completely taken aback by this new information and she stays silent as she processes it. Sindri grins like a beast of carnage and stops starring appreciatively at the fresco's. The Eldest, however, has a buisnesslike look upon her face.

"I know of the attack Windwalker, I felt the Wall drop as would any who is a part of it, but the news you bring..." The womans composure is flawless even though you are sure she must be worried, she quickly fishes a set of tarot cards from her robes and gives them a quick shuffle. "Well or woe, I wonder."

In the distance there is the sound of thunder shattering the clear skies.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-29, 11:50 PM
Peilion watches the Eldest's use of the cards with interest, but does his best not to interrupt or distract her.

made a spellcraft check to determine if she's actually casting some form of divination.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 12:06 AM
Augury is a relatively basic spell, but as far as divination goes it is one of the more effective. As the priestess casts for answers from a higher power Raven shakes herself from her shock and rushes over to you.

"You can't leave me hanging on such little information you two! Debrief me now!" She all but shouts.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 12:15 AM
*Pelion nods, then looks about for a map of the city. If he can't easily find one, he looks for a convienent clear patch of floor and uses prestidigitation to draw a basic map for use as a visual aid.*

Right. As I mentioned, the ship, which appears to be a warship similiar in build to ones used in the last intercontinental war, disgourged a significant number of living cloudkills. *adds symbols to map to indicate this* When Wyrd teleported us to a nearby roof to ease our travel here, I noticed three addtional forces attacking from the landward approaches. *adds symbols to indicate these forces' positions and composition* This one looked to be composed mostly of goblinoids, lead by hobgoblins. They had some kind of large warbeast, or maybe siege engine- I didn't get a proper look at it- with them. This force seemed like a unit from a conventional army. Composed of humans and half elves. That unit seemed similiar to the second, except that it was flying Nerull's banner. Each seems to be roughly a hundred troops in strength, except for the banner bearers, which seemed to be somewhat smaller. All three seemed to be releasing additional living cloudkills. I couldn't determine anything more.

*looks to Wyrd*

Did you notice anything more of note?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 12:25 AM
Raven stares at the map for a few moments and nods at the surprisingly comprehensive debrief she'd just gotten. Sindri glances over the map and swiftly walks over. Once he is next to all of you he devotes more time to looking over the map. Sindri opens his mouth but is quickly interrupted by the Eldest's voice.

"Woe betide they who fight this seige directly. Well betide those who do battle indirectly. Woe betide past the seventh day of this seige. Well betide the forth day."

Bonus
+200 xp! Inventive use of Prestidigitation, VR maps for the win.

Wyrd nods to your question.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 12:47 AM
*I turn to the Eldest*

So, atacking the invaders directly is nearly certain suicide. I would have guessed that given the crawling clouds of health burning death they're throwing around. But if what you say is correct, we have hope for a chance to do something in three days, assuming today is counted as the first day of the siege. Also, if we haven't broken the siege or rendered it moot in six days, we'll be even more screwed, not to put too fine a point on it, than we seem to be now.

Eldest, given the intell Wyrd and I just offered, and the knowledge your spells and position give you, what's the likeliest amount of time you think we have to prepare any response? Can we afford to prepare ourselves for the fourth day, or will every inactive moment cost us?

Oh, almost forgot, and I am very sorry for so nearly forgetting, have you been cured, Sindri? *seems more than alittle ashamed for forgetting the wellfare of a friend, even under dire circumstances.*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 01:13 AM
Sindri looks up from where he is scutenizing the map and gives a harty laugh.

"No worries, the kind ladies of the temple broke the curse swiftly after you left. All on that trash vender's purse I'm told." He then turns to the map. "Inderect battle, eh? Give me a few moments to tumble this in my mind, guess it's time for this old thing to come out." Sindri pulls out a thick tome from his backpack, across it's spine it bares the title in flaking gold leaf, Strategic Considerations for Future Conflicts. Without a moments thought he begins flipping through the book quickly.

"The omens say as you have summered Windwalker. Tomorrow will be the first day, think of this as the prequel to a story." The Eldest says as she places the cards away. "Any follower of the Death God Nerull would not have joined unless the plan involved wholesale slaughter on a deplorable level. The Goblins are most likely the Far Fang tribe of the Worry Ways, a large mountain range to the north east. The others are most likely a mercenary company. The ship is the most worrying, Kelthorn ships are impressive in their sustainability and the arms they carry, and are sometimes called 'Floating Fortresses' with good reason."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 01:27 AM
The ship is the most worrisome? From what you know, how well is that ship likely to be warded against magical attack?

*pauses before continuing*

I hope I'm not being too presumptive in offering suggestions for the defense of this city. If nothing else, please use the questions I ask and suggestions I offer as a means of organising the information we have.

Right, to wit:

What resources do we have available, in terms of stores and personel, and how quickly can they be assembled? I'm particularly interested in spellcasters and archers. Depending on what we have, I have an idea that might enable us to take out that ship.

Is there a way for noncombatants to be equipem to contribute to the effort, evacuated, or sheltered to minimize their risk of casulties?

Lastly, can the forceward be raised in sections, to lure the foe to attempt an entry at a point of our choosing?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 02:06 AM
The Eldest takes a deep breath.

"No you are not being presumptuous young man, but I will give my answers and counter arguments.

Captain 'Black'Jack Redav and the Water Wardens are 150 men strong, all are trained in a method of nonlethal combat that was created for taking a ship.

Captain Aurora of the Duke's Guard has about that many standard foot solders and about half so many Longbow men. That is the sum of the cities military forces without the aid of casters and clerics.

On our side we have about sixty initiates in various stages of training but I am the only Named among this Temple. Sixty level 1 or 2, yeah it's alot I know but it was a chance on the dice.

None of the other Temples have such a... Numerous following although I believe that the followers of Baccob have an artificer among them. As for stores our Ladies and Baccob's teachings are to create and make magic flourish, we have many a minor magical item in our inventory.

I find it strange that no real evacuation plan has ever been made, but there is none. There might be a way to get out but it would be dangerous.

The Wall is Solid and can't be manipulated in such a way.

The reason I say Kelthorn ships are most worrying is because of something that not many know. I was a part of this last war, so I know from experience. The ships have a place somewhere in their depths where one can place a magical item and it will effect the entire ship. Smart Captains placed a Hand of Glory with a Ring of Spell Turning in that place. Kelthorn was known for having a lot of practitioners who studied anti-magic tactics."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 02:26 AM
Thank you, Eldest

Well, given that information, my plan for the ship likely wouldn't work. Still, I'll present it incase I'm incorrect in this:

Essentially, my idea was to use mass castings of explosive runes to turn a large quantity of arrows into bombs. If these were fired at the ship in a specifically designated area (achieved by seperating our archers into squads with asigned areas to target, these areas being indicated by overlaying a slient image on the ship to color code the relevant areas.) In any case, if we got enough such bombs stuck to, or near the ship, then triggered them with a dispel ward scroll (to maximize the chance of dispel failure and thus rune detonation) we would be very likely to blast a large hole in the ship and sink it. If we had the resources to accomplish this, we at least wouldn't have to worry about spell turning. We might also be able to use such a tactic to eliminate at least some of our foes' weapons and more formidible creatures.

Regardless, can we assemble the relevant principles to coordinate our defenses and response?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 02:40 AM
"Peilion," Sindri cuts in, "if I may Eldest?"

The Eldest looks over to the Half-Orge and seems confused for a second, but let's the warblade speak.

"Friend, you must understand that it's not impossible to fight this battle, but as the Priestess said Woe to fight this battle directly. Fate itself is against us on such a footing. Indirect means we need to fight them without fighting them." He taps the tome in his hand. "There are three main ways to do this; Fighting in the Political Arena, Striking Supplies While Ignoring the Army, or Getting Another Army to Fight Your Enemy." He heaves a sigh. "You don't know how much I want to fight this battle, but if we try everything that can will go wrong. From what I've read even if we win we will end up losing. I hope you understand."

Raven is currently having a hushed conversation with Wyrd.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 02:51 AM
But, how do we do any of those things?

We're functionally trapped in the city, aren't we? That makes attacking their supplies difficult at the least. As for fighting them in the political arena, I somehow doubt they would be in any way affected by such attempts. Getting another army, how do we get the word out... Wait, Eldest, can you send to other local rulers, or some representative of theirs? Regardless of what we end up doing, that would likely be a good idea: on the chance we fall, we should do what we can to prevent others being similiarly caught by surprise.

*considers further options*

Also, you said there might be a way to escape the city, though a dangerous one? Would it be too dangerous for the elite forces to use as a means of egress?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 03:12 AM
Sindri nods at your points, Raven finishes with Wyrd, and the Eldest turns to you.

"A Sending is quite out of our reach, we have no one who could cast the spell. Perhaps you are thinking of Message?" Sending is 5th level bro. The Eldest is only level 8

She shifts a little.

"The library that Raven has most likely told you about does in fact have an exit outside the city, many miles outside the city in fact." She seems somewhat reluctant to speak further, but Raven motions to continue. "It is an ancient respiratory of knowledge for the faithful. It holds a huge amount of knowledge both benign and black as the ink in which it written. It hasn't been used since about 454 years ago, when a spell found within those tomes was used to make this cities harbor."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 03:21 AM
Begging your pardon, Eldest, but I was thinking of sending. I had thought it was an easier spell for those who used divine magic than for arcanists. Was I incorrect in this? Or was I incorrect in my impression that you were a priestess in the literal sense? Again, begging your pardon.

*seems very confused*

see my ooc post

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 04:38 AM
The Eldest flushes lightly at your accusations. Raven looks like you've dealt the other woman a grave insult.

"I am of course a woman of the cloth, Windwalker, but one doesn't worship our Lady without having a," she seems to think for a moment, "relationship with the arcane practices."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 04:57 AM
*Pielion realises what he just said and looks appalled at himself, eyes widening in shock*

I do apologize, Eldest. I wont attempt to excuse my thoughtlessness and will accept any penance for it you wish to impose, assuming I remain in a condition capable of recieving and accepting penance when this is over.

*comes as close to kowtowing as is acceptable in this culture*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 05:06 AM
The Eldest's eyes linger on you for a moment.

"Tch, you are caught in what is most likely the first siege of your life, and Raven has told me of you verbal slips from before. I really wish to hear much more about this 'Cake Story' she speaks of, but she will not shed light on it." You really don't want to either... really it wasn't your best day.I don't really care what you make up in you head for the Cake Story, but it will be an example of your social skills utterly failing. Like asking a young adult black dragon to let you go in exchange for cake. Something like that.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 05:15 AM
*seeming very relieved, but still shaken*

Thank you, Eldest. If you wish to hear of that tale, I'll accept recounting it as proper penance. May I have your permission to defer the telling until after we've survived what you correctly guessed to be my first siege, though?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 05:23 AM
She thinks about it for but a moment before nodding.

"Of course, such things are coppers to platinum in this climate." She says.

Raven nods slightly, but still takes a moment to glare at you. Wyrd is sitting at the steps and Sindri seems to be contemplating his book.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 05:31 AM
*still shaking his head at his own stupidity (as he thinks of it), then pulls out Sights and Attractions of the Realms both to give himself something to bury his nose in, and to see if it has any useful information about possible allies or other potentially useful information.*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 05:58 AM
It takes but a moment to find the entry on Perth;

Sea of Coral, Port Perth
This is the Kingdoms eighth largest port and holds a number of inns... you've read this part so you turn the page.

Ah, here we are. You have the most current volume of this book, only ten years old, so nothing should be too out of date.

Notable Faces of Perth.
There are many faces that can be placed within this section but I will review, as always, only my main three thematic people. Royalty, Magic/Supernatural Guru, and Social Leaders.

Royalty of Perth
The Duke himself doesn't, in fact, live in the large fort at the very northeast of the city. His second son does though. Alekzandier Ash is a charismatic leader for a man so young, only seventeen, and has many things to boast his popularity to the city, such as the founding of the Water Wardens. His popularity is so well founded that his father and older brother have agreed to bequeath the fort and port over to him as a lesser fife. Other than Alekzandier there is his sister, of fourteen years, whom is currently studying magic.

Magic/Supernatural Guru
Samos the Sage is one of the most knowledgeable wizards in the entire Dukedom. He is a startlingly intelligent man capable of some truly amazing magic. He now occupies the old Lighthouse on the southeast portions of the harbor area. He has been know by many names, Samos the Grail Seeker, the Sage, The Fool of Ciltriat, and the Mentor Mage just to name a few.

Social Leaders
By far the most dynamic political element is the half-elf Vespa Tenlinia a woman who has claim to the only remaining blood tie to the Tenlinia line of Wood Elves. She is quite a spit fire and is known as Vespa the Firelance. She is quite well known for having a tame wyvern that she rides into battle.

Knowledge (History) check if you wish to learn more about the Tenlinia line.

Knowledge (Nobility&Royalty) check to learn the name of the Alekzandier's sister.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 06:32 AM
*replaces the book in his pack*

(quietly, to himself)
You'll have time to beat yourself up, later. Right now, survival for your friends, the city, and yourself.

*aloud*

Right! So, do I understand things correctly: We're basically surrounded, can expect disaster if we attempt direct action against our besiegers, and can expect disaster if we let the siege continue for seven days, yes? On the bright side, we have cause to hope for a break in our favor in four days.

For potential local allies, we have the luminaries in this church, a smaller number of casters, and possibly an artificer in Boccob's temple, and varrious groups of casters at the other local temples. Add to this 150 or so Wardens, lead capably by good Captain Jack, but trained primarily for policework rather than war, another 150 or so soildiers, and 75 archers.

My book also mentions the Sage, Samos and Mistress Tenlinia and her wyvern. Also, is there a way to get the intell wyrd and I found to the Duke, or rather his guard captain, perhaps?

In any case, we also have a city that was built with defense in mind, including buildings that can be used as individual redoubts and an outer wall composed of force.

Attacking us, we have at least 250 assorted Nerull worshipers, goblinoids, and mercenaries, supported by a very large... something and an unknown but significant number of roiling clouds of death. In addtion, the harbor is occupied by a likely well warded and heavily armed warship that also brought an unknown but significant number of additional roiling clouds of death to the party.

As far as what we are personally capable of, our two best options appear to be attempting to raise an army to relieve the city from our allies, and/or harrassing the enemy's logistics train. Attempting either of these requires we seek egress from the city through a presumably heavily warded respoitory of potentially dangerous and certainly priceless arcane lore. Which happens to be the main reason my friends and I came to town.

Do I have it about right?

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 06:43 AM
Oh, I almost forgot:

We also have an almost certainly criminal vendor who somehow came in posession of a rather powerful cursed item, and (probably) at least one potion of glibness. Now normally, scamartists, while loathesome, wouldn't concern me this much. However, given the resources he apparently aquired, is it possible he was acting as an agent for our foes? Either willingly or as a dupe? And, is he still secure? Afterall, even if he wasn't originally a spy, I'd would be surprised very little if he turnedcoat at the first opportunity now. Also, where is that cursed item? Raven, didn't you say it was shielded against your detection spells? I wonder, might it be so shielded to conceal a scrying beacon of some sort? Afterall, few would suspect such a thing, and putting a scrying beacon in a cursed item would be a likely way of getting it into a temple when the victim went there to be cured, wouldn't it?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 06:54 AM
As the people about you shift you lock eyes with each one of them. Sindri looks at the fresco's of ancient hero's long past and just returns your look with a grin. Raven Seems to shake under the weight of all the information she's learned today, you've seen her like this before when she just suddenly start spouting information on how to do/kill something of an insidious nature. Wyrd seems to be cycling through hair colors, but somehow manages to wordlessly convey a sense of rising danger or anticipation. The entire temple seems to cease for a moment as all the clerics of your god look to you. Then suddenly the world turns red.

The world is in red tint now and you feel something coming, something big. Like a mountain big.
Will Save

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 07:03 AM
What the--?!

awaiting will save results.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 07:06 AM
Enamel shatteringing, gums bleeding, ice outside, bone-marrow of molten lead, heart of moving glass!

Pain. You thought you understood the word, but now your understanding has... expanded. You have no idea how your still on your feet after the moment of sheer agony you just went through.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 07:10 AM
*screaming in agony, a litany of curses I'm not properly equiped to do justice to. Followed by shocked relief to realise he's still alive.*

I check myself and those around me for injury.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 07:14 AM
Nothing... Not one wound...

"Keep your eyes forward, Faithful." A man's voice says from behind you. "Lest we lose the chance your Loving Lady has given you."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 07:20 AM
*obeys and keeps his eyes forward, while trying to figure out what's going on.*

(I don't recognise the voice as anyone affiliated with the temple, do I?)

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 07:31 AM
"Good," the unfamiliar voice says as you keep your eyes forward your mind burning through information, "now we've only got one go at this," 'dyed red' a term that some faithful priests of Wee Jas use for visions, ", and in all seriousness this couldn't have happened without you, Faithful." As you glance about everyone but yourself is still, unnaturally so. "Devote enough to warrant attention, even if it was the neutral kind. But out of place..." Payment of The Blood an ancient method of ritual magic used by the very first followers of Wee Jas, said to be the 'smallest death' in payment for divine guidance, innuendo aside you think you may have endured it just now.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 07:36 AM
Wh... what... are we to do?

*voice shaking, from a mixture of awe and fear (and how much difference is there between the two, in a circumstance such as this?) Not allowing his eyes to wander away from forward.*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 07:45 AM
"Listen well, Faithful, you were told to do something," the voice isn't truly soothing but it has the tone of a teacher aged but willing to let others learn, "let this be known to you. We're not allowed to tell you who you are working for but know that you are working for someone. Now tell me why would a well established religion with as many followers as your Ladies use such a small temple in such a large city? Just guess..."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 08:07 AM
Well, I would guess that it's because the library under this church might make a larger church risky. At minimum, the library combined with a larger church could be a threat to the primacy of the capital's church within the national hierarchy. At worst, such a concentration of casters might interact with the library in a dangerous manner, somehow.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-30, 08:21 AM
"A fair guess, and in some places correct. The Archive below is the reason why the church is so small. This is actually the first place Wee Jas was ever worshiped in the kingdom." The voice said. "Nerull's Chosen is making a bid for something that your Lady has kept safe from the hands of anyone, at my favor mind you. If this seige is successful you will see the world as you know it will wilt, but this is no Time of Troubles. None of you will be able to fight his Chosen. Indirect battle is the only way, faithful."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-30, 08:36 AM
I will remember your words, inscribe them on my heart. They will be heeded.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-31, 10:02 PM
"Do so, Faithful," The voice says, "because this is not all that I am to intrust to you. But first you must turn to me and see the face of that with which you have spoken so candidly. Turn to me, Faithful."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-31, 10:06 PM
*Turns to face the speaker*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-31, 10:20 PM
You stand looking at a man of indeterminable age, hair only slightly greying at the temples. His face is lined with laughter both hard won and bought. He wears loose purple garments of an unearthly fabric, and shimmering golden arcane runes that move and change with the moment cover his attire. In one hand he holds a simple wizards staff and the other is placed upon a magnificent book, the spine of which reads in an ancient arcane tongue you are sure you can't read The Truth About Magic.

"I needed you to be unbiased during our conversation, Faithful, but tell me how do you feel now?"

Chilingsworth
2013-01-31, 11:34 PM
*Peilion Looks very thoughtful, considers how best to reply, and decides to hold back as little as elvishly possible.*

I think I understand the desire to avoid bias. I'm less sure that its elimination is possible, at the very least from the mortal mind. Possibly from the immortal mind as well. All the same, efforts in that direction always have value.

As to how I'm feeling...
At this particular moment? Fascinated? Intrigued? Maybe alittle confused.
This... effect... is responsible for the fascination and intrigue. Are we pulled out of time, or are my companions paralyzed? How much of this event will they remember? For that matter, how much of it will I remember. I imagine few mortals indeed experience anything like this.
As for the confusion, your appearance is quite similiar to representations of Boccob I've seen. From your entrance, with the ruby light and the toll I paid in pain, I thought We Jas (or one of her servants) had contacted me, perhaps.

Then again, maybe confusion is the wrong word to describe what I feel. It simply means some of my assumptions were wrong. I hope to avoid being so convinced of my own infallibility that such discoveries cause undue distress. Regardless, if I am speaking to Boccob, or one of his higher servants or avatars, does that mean the beliefs of the Crimson Sisterhood are true, or at least close to the truth?

More generally, I'm terrified. I suspect only fools wouldn't be in this situation. I'm facing my first siege. Now I'm told that our foe is a chosen of the reaper, and that should (s)he/it succeed in its mission, the world as we know it will end? Yes... terror seems an appropriate reaction, I think.

Still, the fact that one such as yourself is here gives me hope. And courage was never the absence of fear, but rather its effective management. Its absence indicates foolishness, mindlessness, or paladinhood.

I'm not feeling hopeless, just overwhelmed. Am I correct that your mission here involves something that might make this task seem more doable?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-31, 11:57 PM
A small grin tugs the corners of this beings lips as he listens to you. After hearing your piece he nods.

"I knew you were the best choice. Ansewers! I am no Vecna, old ghoul, and have little care for secrets.
I am a... memory of Baccob from before he/I became The Uncaring God of Magic. Not truly an Avatar but, something fundamentally different from anything ever made before.

The Sisterhood was Founded when I had something Special stored in the Archives below our feet, give anything a few hundred years and everything get's mix up a little. The Reaper, curse his bones, is making a bid for that Speical thing, and I have been forbidden by Powers far stronger than myself to directly use any means to warn my faithful, as if I'd care. But I am not Me I am not the Uncaring One, so I had your Lady set off a little memento that those first worshipers left from the days when they practiced a more... different art. In other words I'm using a loophole to push my agenda, I hope you don't mind.

Time has ceased to have meaning, for a while more at least. None but yourself shall remember any of this, and even you will only... well it's hard to explain to mortal. Basically you have a linear thought pattern and I'm trying to explain wind patterns to you."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-01, 12:42 AM
*whispered in awe*

You're a... memory of Boccob before his/your apotheosis? So, you're a memory of him/yourself as a mortal? Magic can grant that much power?

*shakes his head*

No, that line of thought it likely best left unexplored right now, no matter how amazing and even tantalizing it is... especially because it is so much so.

*does his best to return to the matter at hand*

A 'loophole?' I'm guessing it takes advantage of the "can't warn your faithful." Since I'm not one of them, this prohibition does not apply to me. If that's the basis of this gambit, then I must confess it was fortunate, or I'd guess, likely part of your plan, that you told me you are not Boccob as we know him in this age. If you were, there would be a definately non zero chance that the loophole wouldn't be valid right now, sir.

*again tries to return to the matter at hand*

Right, so be that as it may... What advice can you offer on how to save this city, and with it, the Archive? If your answer to that is "nothing" and actually, even if it is, what can you tell me about this special thing?
Specifically, can the world as we know it survive without it? If it can, would it be within our means to destroy it, as a last resort to keep it out of the reaper's hands? I would be willing to do this even if it resulted in my annhilation: Afterall, as a matter of logic, it would be better that I be annhilated than the world as we know it be destroyed. Especially since the later would presumably include either my own destruction, anyway, or my being left in a world annhilation might well be preferable to.

My companions and I were starting to come up with some possible strategies. Well, my companions had come up with useful information and basic principles, and I was starting to formulate some ideas. Of course, given the information you just gave me, those are likely obsolete. Still, would any of these have any use:

1. Use the passage through the archive to escape the city and seek aid from local allies.

2. Use the passage through the archive to exit the city and execute guerrilla warfare against the enemies' logistics and support system.

3. Use the city's construction to turn the fight into building-by-building urban warfare, to buy time while we perform one of the other options I just mentioned.

Also, I have no actual authority here. I am unsure how much I should try to offer advice to the locals on how to defend their city. I'm quite sure they are unlikely to follow any orders I try to give them, and probably rightly so. Regardless, I'm unsure how much of the local resources I can ask for, and how best to ask for them.

4. An idea that occured to me from the new information you've given: Can the special thing (along with as much of the rest of the archives as possible) be smuggled out of the city to a more secure location?

I'm sure other ideas might come to me, but none to speak of have, yet. Still, another question: How do I best go about convincing others of the origin of any advice you offer me? Also, how much of this should I even try to relate to them?

*seems to be satisfied that he returned to the most pertinant subject at hand, with maybe a touch of pride that he managed to do so with all the fascinating distractions present.*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-01, 01:18 AM
Baccob smiles at you.

"Questions are the path towards understanding. If we do not ask then we shall never know and that is a loss in mine eyes.

The Special thing I speak of is a... Index of sorts. She slumberis in the Archives and her nightmares, and dreams, are all the defense the tomes ever will have need. Other than her there are dozens of mystic traps that are easily bypassed by just being faithful in your Lady, anyone else will have to be personally escorted.

The Archives themselves are a vast network of a little under eight square miles of sub-terrain library and you would need a map just to walk among it's tomes. Unfortunately no map was ever written, a weakness it was seen. At the heart of this place is a Vault, this is where the Index dreams out her days.

Your hope is two fold, the Index has a massive amount of knowledge stored in her soul, information deemed to dangerous or perverse. She will never divulge this information but she can help you in other ways. In her mind is the only map of your Ladies Library. If your retrieve the Index you will have the greatest tactical advantage, control over the target.

Two teams would be needed, at the least though, I would suggest three.

The first would gain entry to the Vault and the Index. Using both you can have a drastic advantage Now. The Vault is actually quite nearby.

The second, should be a diplomatic envoy, I have no idea who you should plead with on this point.

The third and final team I suggest would be to assault and cripple the invaders, if at all possible.

Did I get everything?"

Chilingsworth
2013-02-01, 01:30 AM
Almost.

How much of this should I tell the others? Also, how do I go about convincing them of the origin of my information? Or should I just tell them I was contacted by the Ruby Lady? I'd rather not lie to my friends, though.

Lastly, how should I deal with the local authority figures, apart from the Sisterhood?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-01, 01:41 AM
The God's Memory nods just before he grips the staff with his right hand in a white knuckled fist. A thin line of blood drips down from his eyes.

"He's early.

Visions from the heavenly powers happen. Tell them you gained a vision from your Lady, don't mention me or mine though.

The Sage is like washed canvas, little color but still reliable. The boy, Alekzandier, is young still, and has yet leaned to clean up house. His sister is of my faith, and she has endeared herself to the church.

The Wyvern rider is one of the few who could get word out, her skills are not to be underachieved."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-01, 01:46 AM
I take it your... ward... is under attack?

*bows low*

I thank you, Boccob's carring echo. I wish we could have met under less dire circumstances and that I might ask more of you. Still, I suppose its only under such circumstances that we could meet at all. Given that, our dire circumstance has done some good, I think.

I guess this is goodbye, then?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-01, 01:56 AM
"A word of warning," Baccob says as thin cuts begin to appear across his flesh. Nonlethal points like the knuckles. "The Chosen of The Reaper is called The Voice of Nerull. Yes, this is goodbye. Perhaps someday you will learn enough to call on my aid for information, I really don't get out en.."

Suddenly the world snaps in harsh color. You fall to your knees, the last sight you remember of a bleeding man standing in a pool of his own blood.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-01, 02:07 AM
*Pielion looks dazed as he returns to normal time*

I... I...

*shakes himself to sensibility Becomes harder than his friends have ever seen him.*

I have vital information. Before I dare share it, we must make as sure as possible we are secure. I am still concerned that vendor may have been an agent of our foes. That cursed weapon might also hide an information gathering device. It should be destroyed, if we can.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-01, 02:12 AM
"What in the Nine, weren't you turned the other way just a second ago?" Sindri bellows slightly, surprise enhancing his voice.

Raven is already on the move, headed toward the back area. Wyrd blinks and mutters under his/her voice. Eldest seems the most stricken, she is pale as alabaster.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-01, 02:17 AM
*Turns to face the others*

I can explain, but first I must know we are secure. I will tell you this much: our foe is almost certainly strong enough to threaten that security.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-02, 10:26 PM
"There was something here just now, wasn't there?" Eldest says as she seats herself on a nearby pew. "A force of some-sort, I feel weakened."

Sindri looks confused for a moment and then his eyes harden, seeing his friend so serious has placed him in a focused state that he reserves for battle most of the time. He passes his hand over a belt pouch and then shakes his head. He then shoves his tome into his backpack and slings it over his shoulders.

Wyrd nods to his/her self and moves past everyone.

"I'm going to check on that vender." S/he growls as s/he passes you up. The tone is... scary.

Raven passes Wyrd by as she carries what looks to be an over sized scroll case out. She puts it down and glances back at Wyrds back before oppening the case and sliding the oil cloth wrapped sword free. She glances at those around you all and recites a hymn to Wee Jas that has most of the faithful smiling.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-02, 10:47 PM
*Pielion nods to Wyrd*

Good idea, hmm... has he been disenchanted? I'm fairly sure he had lie concealing magic on him earlier. If he hasn't, trust nothing he says, no matter how truthful he seems.

*he then turns to the Eldest*

Yes... something like that. I dare not speak too much on it until I'm confident in our security. Weakened, you say? Will you be alright?

*concerned*

*He then watches Raven, watching to see if she achieves her aim, and ready to provide aid if asked*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-02, 10:51 PM
Wyrd stops for a moment and then nods as s/he leaves you hear her/him mutter.

"Trust nothing he says, no matter how truthful it may sound."

The Eldest nods, and pulls a thin flask out of her robes. She takes a moment to open and begins sipping lightly at whatever is inside.

"Like I have cast many more spell than I have, and there is a sense of weakness in my body, as if I've only just recovered from the flu or something."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-02, 11:06 PM
Hmm, Let's see.

*Burns a shivering touch to cast an arcane sight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneSight.htm) spell, impomptu extending it Looks everywhere he possibly can, Also looks for more telltale signs of scrying sensors*

(I should note that his scan includes all his own possessions, incase something was slipped on him, including his coins (he's probably aware of the spymaster's coin spell.))

Hmm, maybe I should scan all our possessions like this?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-02, 11:17 PM
Glancing about you note that the auras of the many fresco are vibarant and exude a powerful feel of Conjuration. The sword is covered by the oil cloth, which you now note is a Raiment of Closing, a magical cloth that snuffs out magic it come in contact with. (Buffs/Debuffs/Curses/Blessings that sort of thing.) They are exceedingly rare and only the temple of Wee Jas has the knowledge of how to make them.

Your equipment is clear of anyone elses magic.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-02, 11:25 PM
*I nod appreciatively at Raven and the Rainment*

Ok, I... think... we might be safe. I assure you, I have good reason to withold surity

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-02, 11:39 PM
"Surety is only unbalanced when one seeks to be unsure of it." Wyrd says as s/he comes in dragging a bleeding vender. S/he then deadpans. "He's dead, by the way. Found him like this."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-02, 11:43 PM
What?!

*Turn my glowing blue gaze to the corpse, looking for auras, lingering or active*

*Also, examine the corpse, on the off chance the cause of death is mundane and obvious enough for me to figure it out*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-02, 11:47 PM
You see a scythe come up for a back swing.

Reflex Save.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-02, 11:54 PM
The blade of the scythe cuts clean through from one side to the other. You are now blind. (Take 4 damage)

Chilingsworth
2013-02-02, 11:57 PM
*Having just experienced far, far worse pain, barely scream, but clutch my eyes*

For what it's worth, did I at least get any reading on magical auras either from the scythe or otherwise on the body? Arcane sight provides those instantly.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-03, 12:03 AM
The body had an old Illusion spell on it and some slight necromancy. The scythe was pure necromancy. All of them were Arcane spells.

You feel hands being placed upon your head, and before you can speak your are being healed.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-03, 12:11 AM
The body was trapped! It has residue of illusion and necromancy. That scythe is a necromancy effect and has blinded me!

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-03, 12:18 AM
"We kinda figured that out, Pailion." Sindri's voice says from your right. "What scythe, though? You just suddenly got a huge gash across your face, but now that I look at it this does look kinda like a scythe wound, angles a little off but yeah."

"This will restore his eyes," The Eldest's voice comes from ahead of you, "Tilt his head back and fill the eyes up with it. It will grant him a Troll's regeneration for about a minute, enough to get them back. I think."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-03, 12:31 AM
Thank you, Eldest. I believe we've done all we can to secure ourselves. I suggest we go to the sanctum and rely on its wards. Then I'll do my best to share everything that's recently happened. Oh, and might be a good idea to return that body to lockdown, incase it has a further magics on it to cause it to animate.

(I take it I'm back to full hp?)

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-03, 12:42 AM
(Yes and your sight is slowly being restored over the next four minutes.)

The Eldest leads your group into a room filled with soft pellows. Your hear an odd sound come from Sindri as the Eldest dismisses those who were attending to duties here. Once you hear the door shut you hear Wyrd mutter to His/her self.

"Sheer."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-03, 01:13 AM
*Feeling the the comfortable pillows, I relax somewhat*

Right, So... the odd occurance we experienced a little while ago was a message from our Lady. Specifically, I was visited by... well, the best way I can think to describe it is a sentient magical representation of her. Apparently, this was left here when the temple was founded set to trigger to advise its inhabitants when the Archive is under sufficent threat.

From this entity, I learned the following:

* The foes we're facing have one of their god's chosen with them. (also, I suggest we avoid refering to our foes' patron by name or title, on the likely chance that doing so draws his attention. From here on out, I'll refer to him as "the enemy."

* There is absolutely no chance of fighting this chosen directly.

* The Archive below this temple contains an entity the enemy badly wants. If he gets it, the world as we know it will end. This entity is a sleeping... person who acts as an index to the archive and though her dreams and nightmares, it's most powerful method of defense. She is held in a vault that is apparently relatively nearby. The vault and archive also has other wards.

* Our best chance is a three pronged approach:
- A team to Find the vault and access the index. We can use the information we find there to further aid us
- A team to send word to as many local allies as possible to raise a relief army.
- A team to sally from the city and attack our foe's rear area.

* We would be well advised to involve other powerful locals in our plans; In particular, one Vespa Tenlinia: She has a tame wyvern that should allow her to get word to those in a position to send us relief. The Sage, and the Duke and his people should also be involved. Lastly, the Boccobites may be able to aid us as well. Alekzanier's sister would be a promising contact/liason with them.

*Also, the reason I was so... concerned about security: My conversation with the Lady's messenger ended when she said "He's early" she then seemed to be fighting external magical assault and quickly got cut to bloody ribbons by an invisible force. The last I remember seeing is her body lying in a bloody heap on the floorstones.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-05, 10:45 PM
Actually, now that I think of it, from what I remember, I last saw her in a state similiar to how the vendor was found.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-05, 11:16 PM
Your vision returns and you find yourself in a room that could be called a sanctuary. Crimson sitting pillows litter the floor before a full blown stone altar, the kind that you could lay a maiden upon with room to spare. Low tables litter the area, usually near a clump of pillows, and the walls are covered in resplendent tapestries, each commemorating the Great Crimson Lady in their own way.

Sindri sits upon three pillows, he seems tense as a bowstring drawn to shoulder. His tone starts out low and disbeleaving and as he speaks it grows loader until he is almost shouting.

"You mean they assaulted a messenger of your Goddess in Her Own Temple. Are they insane!?" Raven and the Eldest seem to agree in one way or another.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-05, 11:26 PM
*blinks as his sight returns*

Well, yes, they are probably insane. I don't think the messenger was an independant creature, though. She claimed to be an echo of sorts, left here when the temple was founded as part of the system of protection built around the archive and its index. I'm probably paraphrasing that, but that's the gist of what I remember. Her falling to pieces might have been indicative of a spell ending rather than an attack. Might, I say, but I doubt it. Regardless, if it was because an attack, it was successful, and they managed to leave another trap for us on the vendor's corpse, not to mention managing to kill him without breaching our defenses in any easily detectable sense. So, despite their insanity, they mustn't be taken lightly.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-05, 11:38 PM
"An insane mind sees things from angles that no sane mind could comprehend. It's what makes them so dangerous." Wyrd adds dryly. Raven looks over the slowly fading scar and nods to Wyrd. She speaks in low tones.

"Too true, but we can't take into account that the spell was place upon him while in the church. Too many defenses, we would have at least been notified of that. He may have been respelled the entire time, a redundancy as it may be." For a moment you think you may see written Infernal reflected in her eyes, but it is gone before you even blink.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-05, 11:53 PM
*nods to Wyrd, then tilts his head curiously when he sees maybe sees the writing in Raven's eyes*

Quite true, on both points. Still, what shall we do about it? Maybe we should gather a council of war?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-05, 11:57 PM
"Wait," the Eldest says halting most of the groups nodding heads, "did not the messenger give you the location of the entrance to the Archive?"

Chilingsworth
2013-02-06, 12:25 AM
She said that the vault containing the index was quite near us. She also said that the index has vast information about the archive, including a complete map of the place, that would greatly aid in our defense of it.

As for the location of the Archive entrance, While Raven and I came here to investigate it, all our research could glean was that it was somewhere in this city. So, I don't know where it is, I can try to divine it, though.

*Sits crosslegged, considering his options*

Hmm, for a start, might you have an acurate description of, well any item that should be in the archive?

Chilingsworth
2013-02-06, 12:33 AM
*Shakes his head*

Or, we could start looking in this temple. The messenger told me it was founded to protect the archive and that the vault was very close by.

Wyrd, you and I should start searching likely locations, with your permission, of course, Eldest?

*mutters*
I really need to remember that magic isn't needed for everything.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-06, 12:42 AM
The Eldest seems to think for a moment and then gets up.

"We may have a description of what the entrance looks like, I remember my mentor once talking about maps. It evades me what she was speaking of, but I will look through her old things. Perhaps an aid can be found there. It must be near by, for as you said, this temple was made to protect it."

Wyrd nods to you and gets up from his/her seat, without a sound s/he opens the door and nods towards the outside.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-06, 12:52 AM
That would be useful. Given an adequate description, I can atempt a locate object spell to find the entrance (or to more specific, door.) Failing that, are there any spirits I might try to commune with? (I'd need some incense and a certain offering to atempt that, though.) Before I try those things, though, do Wyrd and I have permission to search the temple, perhaps with an acolyte to guide us? Wyrd could search by mundane means (incase it's warded against divinations), and I could try scanning with a detect secret doors spell.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-06, 01:04 AM
"I will go look through my metor's old notes, and it is indeed a good idea to cover for things of that sort. I'll have Alma guide you around the temple," She claps three times quickly and a girl in her preteens comes forth. "Alma you will be guiding these gen... these two about the temple grounds. Treat them as guests." As the girl nods the Eldest looks to you. "Alma has grown up in this temple, she guides guest on tours sometimes. I hope she is able to aid in your endeavors. Ah, before you go into the Archive proper I will have to speak with all of you. I'll send out messengers to gather those we have listed."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-06, 01:11 AM
*Bows politely*

Of course, Eldest. Assuming we find the entrance, any casters we send would also be wise to prepare spells appropriate to the situation, as best we can determine it.

*Nods politely to Alma*

A pleasure to meet you, miss. I'm Peilion, and this is Wyrd. We're grateful for your expertise and assistance. Shall we get started? Incidentally, about how long do you suppose it would take to properly cover the temple? I ask so I have some idea of how closely I have to husband my detect secret door spells.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-06, 01:20 AM
The girl smiles and gives a curtsy. As she begins talking in a tone that drags you attention in she turns and beings walking lightly through the halls.

"To cover the entire temple will take about forty-five minutes, good Sir. We'll start with the step Enter the main Atrium, take five minutes to search at each stop, and then we will go into the inner court area, where there is a small courtyard for leisure. After that we will visit the Dorms which will have been cleaned and readied for visitors by that time. The final stop will be the kitchens, and bathing area as well."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-06, 01:28 AM
So, I'll need five castings of my detection spells, assuming I extend four of them. I can do that. Let's get started. If I need to pause to renew my magics, I hope we can pause for me to do so.

*Burns a phantasmal assailants to cast a detect secret doors, extending it which increases the casting time to one full round.*

*Looks around the room he's in, then (assuming he finds nothing) indicated he's ready to proceed. Moves slowly enough to scan every space he passes.*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-06, 01:37 AM
"Indeed, good sir, a stop for twelve seconds every sixty feet to maximize your spells usage while stopping every now and again for the recast is easily capable. Would you like to know the history of the Temple as it is told by our Sect?" The girl give a beautiful smile. As if the world couldn't be in danger, ever.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-06, 01:46 AM
*returns the smile and nods, obviously impressed that this girl has managed such a degree of understanding of magical theory at such a young age*

Definately. I'd like to know everything I can about this... remarkable place. *pauses*

*said while they start walking*

Out of curiosity, Alma, have you begun your training in our Lady's service in the arcane or divine arts? You just demonstrated a remarkable understanding of magic for one your age. Surely that's a testament to both your sister's teaching methods and our own abilities. Few children of my people would have such understanding at an equivilant age.

By "such a degree of understanding" I mean, she recognised the spell I mentioned, and knew enough of how it worked to calculate an optimal use schedule.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-06, 02:05 AM
Alama smiles beatifically and twirls on the spot.

"I've grown up in the Sisterhood, and my path was decided by My Lady at birth. Arcane Magic is in my blood, I'm a sorceress, but Eldest Sister Husel once said that such inborn talent can make a lazy girl so I'm also the Temple Hostess, and I even help with Math when we count tithe." She says all of this with a proud grin on her face. "I read every day and someday I will be as good as the High Matron."

She turns a few more times before you and Wyrd find yourselves in the entry hall again. Wyrd looks at the halls with a critical eye.

"This Temple is called The Scarlet Evanescence and was built in memory of the last Great Necromancy Wars end. Each step of the entryway represents a law created to mitigate the misuse of that form of magic, nearly four-hundred fifty years ago. " She waves her hand at the obsidian and jet steps. The black making it exceptionally hard to see that each did indeed have something carved in some archaic form of Common. "Because Wee Jasian spell casters worsened that War Each slab was ordered to be worked by spell casters, using no magic. Each hundred pound slab was carried from a quarry over seven miles away, by hand. This was ordained by our Lady to teach our people the value of Death and Life."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-06, 02:10 AM
*nods solemnly*

Indeed, a vital lesson. And you're truly blessed with understanding to accompany your inborn power. Not all are. Just as many wizards, myself for instance, are not nessicarily blessed with as much foresight as one might wish.

*sets to work scanning the room*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-06, 02:31 AM
"Indeed, good sir." Alma says as she sits at one of the pews. "The lessons our Lady teach us are invaluable. Don't mind the caches on the altar, they are for wands and incense."

You note that yes there are small switches to work caches on the altar. other than that there is no door you can find hidden by any means detectable by you. Wyrd also comes up empty handed.

"Would you like to continue the tour?"

Chilingsworth
2013-02-06, 02:33 AM
Looks like this room is clear.

*Then becomes less buisness-like, nodding enthusiastically*

Yes, definately.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-06, 03:07 AM
The girl gets up and sweeps past, her hair moving in odd patterns as she goes.

"The main entryway has no doors to show that Our Lady accepts all to Her Way. The Fresco are all tributes to the many heroic men and women who have aided Her Great Cause in one way or another over the years. Some local heros work for years just to get their forms immortalized upon these walls. Every day the paintings change, cycling through all of the fresco every painted on that wall." She smiles up at the many heroes who halo the massive symbol of Wee Jas that dominates the center of the ceiling. "The altar is new in comparison to most of the temple, but the previous one was moved when it was shattered during a Spell-Battle forty years ago. Moving on we will be going through here to get to Inner Court, a section of the Temple built to specifics passed down from the Eldest of another church at her request."

Wyrd glances up from His/her searching.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-06, 03:12 AM
*Pielion listens with interest*

Fascinating! ...

*Notices Wyrd's gaze*

Wyrd, did you find something?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-06, 03:18 AM
"This catch here. You passed over it without a glance." Wyrd says as s/he pulls a catch that you hadn't found when you were standing there. "Magic ward?" You can hear the question in Wyrd's voice.

"Aw, I hope it's what your looking for, but I also hope it's not." Alma says as she sighs. When Wyrd gives her an odd look she explains. "I don't get to give this tour very often."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-06, 03:36 AM
*considers for a moment*

Tell you what, Alma, we'll take the rest of the tour. Afterall, no one said there would be only one entrance or other location of interest.

*He smiles and winks*

Now, to see about that catch. I should have enough magic left for this to work, just hope I don't need any combat magics today.

*allows his detect secret doors spell to drop, burns his extended rope trick for an impromtu extended arcane sight, examines the catch*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-06, 03:46 AM
The catch doesn't even appear in your vision until Wyrd begins pulling at it. S/he grins at the little girl that is right now cheering, quietly. Wyrd mutters a few words and casts detect magic. S/he blinks a couple of times and lets the latch slid back to the point when it fades from sight under all of the protective enchantments of the floor. S/he then takes a few moments to find the latch again.

"Not hidden," Wyrd mutters to him/her self, "but camouflaged. Neat."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-06, 04:09 AM
Quite. The protection spells drown out any aura of the catch. I wouldn't be surprised if lead lining was also used. Let's make note of it and confirm there isn't anything else noteworthy, other than the history of this place, of course.

*burns his second phantasmal assailants spell for an extended detect secret doors.*

Right, shall we continue, Alma?

Active Spells:
Active divinations:
Arcane Sight (automatic detect magic) ~10 min remaining
Detect Secret Doors (what it says on the tin, requires concentration) 10 min remaining
Active Abjurations:
Endure Elements ~48 hrs remaining.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-07, 10:27 PM
"Yes sir," Alma says with a smile, "now we will be moving towards the Inner Court, after you are done."

Wyrd's and your own efforts come up with something startling. The catch in question is completely none magical, point in fact the only thing keeping your magic from finding it was the fact it was hidden among the auras. It is lead-lined, and quite heavily so, but you can find no more magic in it than that of your Longbow.

"I can't find any traps on it. Do you want me to pull it all the way out, Peilion?" Wyrd asks as s/he looks the latch over, for the fourth time.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-07, 10:31 PM
Not yet, Wyrd. We should return to it once we've finished our examination. You'll be able to find it again, correct?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-07, 10:40 PM
"Yep," s/he says as s/he let's it settle back into place, "now that I know it's whereabouts I could find it whenever I like. Let's continue then, Alma lead the way."

"Yes si... er..." Alma starts but then seems taken of her balance by something.

"What is it?" Wyrd asks as his/her hair lengthens and gains waves, as well as turning a soft honey brown. "Is something the matter?"

"Er, well I usally call people by sir or mam to be polite, but you've switched several times between those two." Alma explains before getting a curious look in her bright violet eyes. "What are you?"

"Sir and mam?" Wyrd looks completely off balance, her/his tone seems to taste the words. S/he shakes his/her head in complete befuddlement. "I'm a changeling, call me Wyrd that's who I am after all"

Chilingsworth
2013-02-07, 10:50 PM
*grins*

Wyrd and I have been working together for long enough that I've forgotten the confusion changelings can cause in those unacustomed to them. In any case, please continue, Alma.

*ponders*

I suppose, if you must use a pronoun, you could use the elven 'kir' roughly translated it means "respected one." It isn't gender specific.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-07, 10:59 PM
"But... Wha..." Alma seems concentrate for a few moments before shaking her head in befuddlement herself. She begins guiding you through the halls. "Yes, Kir, we'll continue through the halls toward the Inner Courtyard. If you will come this way."

Wyrd mutters for a moment before nodding and shifting completely into a comely woman with deep, earthy brown eyes.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-07, 11:13 PM
*follows Alma*

*quietly to Wyrd*

Sometimes people need alittle help adapting, my friend.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-07, 11:15 PM
"Indeed, my good sir." Wyrd answers with a grin and brushes past you to stand near your hostess.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-07, 11:21 PM
*Scans the path to the courtyard and the courtyard itself for magic auras (arcane sight) and secret doors (detect secret doors) while listening to Alma's description of the place, and taking in its sights.*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-07, 11:39 PM
The halls are full of several magnificent tapestries and panting, you even see a rare work of a popular Elven artist who was know to use Magnificent Pigments in his works, which was the case here as your Sight tells you. Other than that the most notable thing, besides what's being said by the young Hostess, is that at every corner of the hall has a set of full plat that have inactive auras of abjuration, conjuration, and transmutation that seem to be linked into the walls via magical threads.

"The halls coming to and from the Inner Courtyard are filled with art collected by various clerics, priests, and laymen. Donations to beautify this place of worship. Over the years the collection has grown quite expansive." Alma explains while looking over one work, a gnomish work that looked different depending on what angle you were looking at it and completely non magical. "Each of the best pieces are sent to the Great Temple in the Capital every six years to have their preservation taken care of. With great care, some of these works will survive even you, Kir Peilion. We are now closing in on the Inner Courtyard."

3d4 minutes off your spells. Roll for me please.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-07, 11:52 PM
Indeed, great art should be preserved so.

*tilts head*

Pardon, my divinations seem to have just run down.

*Burns a Keleor's Grave Mist to cast an extended Detect Secret Doors.*

Right, please continue.

Detect Secret Doors, duration: 10 minutes.
Arcane Sight: ended, no 3rd level spells remaining to renew it.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-08, 12:02 AM
The stone hallways open to a nicely lain out courtyard where several sisters are pleasurably strolling. Alma greets a couple before facing you both as you work.

"Preservation is one of our greatest goals, although never to the point that we pass over our Ladies territory." Alma indicates a stone in the center of the Courtyard it stood out in the bright light with it's obsidian sides, "The stone you see here is a monument to such foolishness, as are many of the monuments of this temple. The sad truth is that people with power are tempted to do things outside the norm, sometimes this is bad but a few have been good."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-08, 12:13 AM
*nods, then examines the stone, looking for any inscription, speaking as he does so*

Quite, I believe it was Sage Asteriali who said "Those who fail to record and learn from the mistakes history are destined to repeat them."

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-08, 12:22 AM
Searing crimson letters grip your mind as you gaze upon the Stone.

Child of the Fair Folk who has willingly turned his gaze towards the Words, and you will find yourself at a crossroads. What is chosen is your choice, but remember the Many affected.

You hear Wyrd hiss under his/her breath.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-08, 12:27 AM
*shocked stare, reads the inscription*

Wyrd... did, er... do... you see that, too?

*pauses*

Alma, is that a prophetic stone, or the like? What is it supposed to memorialize?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-08, 12:36 AM
"The Stone before you is the Black Oracle," Alma says in a kiting tone, "I've heard that it can do odd things to those who try to divine using it, I'm sorry I forgot to warn you, but it never comes up usually."

Wyrd is cursing up a storm in a very old, archaic form of common, and is wiping his/her eyes frantically.

"Saw something, not sure..."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-08, 12:44 AM
I think whatever you saw was actually there, my friend. At least, for you. Are you alright? The things we saw are likely deserving of further analysis.

*rubs his eyes*

Another thing worth noting. This tour continues to prove rewarding. Shall we continue?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-08, 12:53 AM
"Eyes hurt." Wyrd replies, Alma frowns at his/her in concern. "Feels like someone just tried to stuff one of your books into them all at once... sideways."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-08, 01:03 AM
*frowns in extreme concern*

Hmm. We should get you back to the Eldest. Alma, I appologize, but it seems we can't complete the tour right now, afterall. I promise I'll complete your tour at some point in the near future, with the Eldest's permission, of course. If you could lead us back to her, please?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-08, 01:07 AM
Alma nods and smiles a little.

"The best parts are already done, but the dorms have an interesting story, still."

She guides you back to the Sanctuary, where the Eldest is reading through a tome. Next to her are several other tomes. She looks up.

"Oh, done already?"

Chilingsworth
2013-02-08, 01:21 AM
Sadly, no. Though I believe we have likely found the entrance. We continued the tour after finding what we think is it, incase there were other places of interest. One such place, that Alma called "the Oracle Stone," triggered when we examined. I received a message, Wyrd apparently received... something, an overload of information, I think. Also, as a side note, Alma is quite the talented tourguide and I'd like to complete her tour when our situation is less dire, if I may.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-08, 01:29 AM
"I'm glad you found it, as well as liked Alma's tour. Did you take turns at the Black Oracle, perhaps?" The Eldest seems quite mellow, compare to when you met her last, and her face has a light dusting of a blush as she smiles kindly at you.

In the background Sindri is sniffing a bottle suspiciously.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-08, 01:40 AM
I examined it for an inscription, actually. I happened to still have a divination- detect secret doors- up and found the following message:

*recites*

"Child of the Fair Folk who has willingly turned his gaze towards the Words, and you will find yourself at a crossroads. What is chosen is your choice, but remember the Many affected."

Meanwhile, Wyrd saw... somthing... apparently, it felt like "someone had tried shoving one of my books through kir's eyesockets... sideways." That's what caused Wyrd's current condition. It is possible we didn't give Alma enough time to explain what it was before examining it.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-08, 01:48 AM
"No, she explained it the best way we know how. The magic of the Black Oracle isn't well understood, it reacts to divination spells by placing information within your mind. It seems to bypass anything up to Mind Blank spells with no effort, but it is hard to understand, most of the time giving information like the one you gained. Your friend's condition sounds like it tried to place too much in Wyrd's mind at once and it was rejected in.... perhaps it's an Astral reaction." The Eldest seems to get a bit contemplative.

In the background Sindri takes a sip from the bottle.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-08, 01:55 AM
*Tilts head*

'Astral reaction?'

*notices Sindri*

Sindri, what have you found there?

*returns to the more important matter at hand*

Will Wyrd be alright?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-08, 02:14 AM
"Some of the best liquor I've ever had," Sindri hands it to you, "strong enough to take the edge off Eldest's worries."

How... Blunt... The Eldest winches a little. Alma just seems a little sad.

"It doesn't compromise me to have a cup. It calms my nerves and today has been a bit much for anyone."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-08, 02:21 AM
Strong enough to blunt the worries of today? I think I'll pass. Anything that strong would almost certainly knock me out.

*hands the bottle back to Sindri.*

Not that I don't wish I could have today's worries blunted, mind you.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-08, 02:28 AM
"Your Changeling friend leads many lives, if the Oracle reacts on an Astral level then it may has sent many lives worth of information to your friend." Eldest says trying to get back on subject. "Usually it's something more along the lines of what your saw, Windwalker."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-08, 02:35 AM
I... see.

*turns to check on Wyrd*

Are you feeling any better, my friend?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-08, 02:40 AM
"Pain is still an issue, don't really care that you know how I got it. Relive the pain please." Wyrd deadpans.

"Ah," Alma leaves the room yelling back, "I think we have some..."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-08, 02:56 AM
Right, fixing the problem...

*considers*

Wyrd, I'm not sure how much you'll like this, but...

If the problem is caused by the stone's... confusion about which "you" to send information to, maybe you could shed the excess by taking your natural form. That is likely to let the astral uncertainty resolve to a single target. In otherwords, reducing the full spectrum of what might be you into a single point that is you. It's the only thing I can think of that might help.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-08, 03:05 AM
Wyrd takes a moment and seems to actually think about it before s/he begins to change. There are too many things to list that changed. Hair and eye color, things you always note, are the largest but things like the shoulders widening less than an inch surprises you in how different it looks. By the time Alma comes back with a bottle of some sort Wyrd has turned into a completely androgynous person of average height, weight, eye, and hair color. S/he seems to be shuddering in pain quite a bit less.

"Here," Alma says as she pulls the stopper on the bottle she brought in, "it's peppermint oil mixed into a tea, it always helps me, and Eldest."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-08, 03:11 AM
*watches to see what effect his idea has, then moves aside to let Alma hand Wyrd the tea.*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-12, 09:03 PM
Wyrd slowly mastered him/her self as s/he sipped on the herbal blend. As the changeling seats her/his self on a set of pillows s/he looks over to you then glances at Sindri.

"Where's Raven?" S/he says in a worn out voice. "Sorry but I don't think we'll be doing a crawl while I'm in this state, unless you guys go on ahead. I should be ready to crawl on the marrow though."

Both Alma and the Eldest seem surprised with Wyrd's words, and the Eldest expressed her doubts about him being able to recover so fast. Wyrd didn't bother to quantify their disbelief as s/he continued to drink at the tea, already gaining a healthier tone, the natural way this time. The Eldest give a bit of huff and turns to you.

"While I have my doubts on your friends predicted recovery I will go get the package that The Seekers sent. I have not an idea what it is that they wish for you to have. Only that they wished for you to not go on without it." She leaves through a small, one-person hall that before had been hidden by a silk hanging. Not hidden, but more like a door than anything.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-12, 09:09 PM
Wait, Raven isn't here?

*looks around, slightly confused, also seeming very relieved at his friend's apparent recovery.*

As for taking a look at the vault (assuming the latch we found allows access to it as we expect,) I'm also unprepared for a proper crawl. Between escaping the initial attack and the search, I'm almost out of magic.

*Then what the Eldest just said registers*

A package, for me? I wonder what it could be?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-12, 09:26 PM
Sindri rolls his shoulders and seems to loosen up a little. He then grips his chin and proceeds to crack his neck to the side. Loudly. Mutiple. Times.

"She said something about finding an old friend and catching up and then left about fifteen minutes ago." He glances over at Alma and then at you and Wyrd. "So, other than your interesting encounter with this Oracle person, rock what-have-you did you get anything out of the Tour?"

Chilingsworth
2013-02-12, 09:32 PM
Well, apart from meeting a probable future archmage, *nods to Alma* we did find an extremely well warded device we believe to be part of the entrance.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-12, 10:01 PM
Alma blushes prettily and scraps her foot against the alabaster floor tiles, she mummers a denial and seems completely embarrassed by your praise. Sindri gets a small, infinitesimal really, amount of entertainment from the byplay and give a great bone rattling laugh.

"Good, we have a plan, perhaps the first elements of a counter strike, and a little time on our side. This is just what we need. I've got something I've been working on for you guys before we start the war council okay." Wyrd nods his assist and as you are about to reply the Eldest comes out. She holds in her hands a large roundish package and a letter. She hands both to you.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-12, 10:12 PM
Indeed. We...
*Turns when the Eldest enters with the items*
Many thanks, Eldest.

*Bows as he accepts the proffered item and letter. Gently sets the item down on one of the pillows. Carefully opens and reads the letter.*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-12, 10:26 PM
Dear Peilion Windwalker;

Some of your fellow Seekers thought that we could augment your Divine Work by giving you something that you may indeed dearly need. It is something of a raw subject but the knowledge on how to make one of these is still out of our grasp, and we doubt to figure out it's workings in the next five years. But our work has allowed us to improve the work that we are sending you. Your Work is but one project that we observe as of import, but we of the Seekers believe that you may have a chance to significantly improve our knowledge of Neo Arcadia, thus we have decided to invest in your Work.

Within the package you have received is a material focus crystal ball, for divination, as well as two hundred gold worth of material components for your other works, but our true investment is the book we leave to your perusal. It has three spell already scribed in it, whiich you will learn to your best we know, and is made from arcane working that are as yet beyond our knowledge.

Do not doubt it's quality, when it was commissioned those who created it were told to only use the best, and they have gone above and beyond our expectations. The details of what went into creating this work of art are written in the back most page, although sadly it does not clue us in on how these items are made.

Faith in Your Work,
Seeker Councilmen Thadus Ravenwind

Chilingsworth
2013-02-12, 10:47 PM
*Refolds the letter, then places it in his haversack.*

Interesting. A scrying focus, some components, and a special spellbook. Let's see...

*Carefully opens the package and examines its contents.*

(using his copy of Abjurations to Transmutations, an Arcanist's Almanac to help in examining the objects, and burning a light spell to cast read magic before examining the spells.)

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-12, 11:30 PM
The package opens to show a crystal ball of rose quartz sitting at the book which itself sits atop a fat pack of components.

The Crystal Ball is a masterwork sphere of unnaturally dense, you can tell by it's weight, rose quartz. The light barely glints off the finish, a necessity as gazing into something really shiny can hurt one's eyes, especially for long periods of time. It looks to be one of larger ones, still easily holdable in one hand but not one of those palm-sized that most non-specialists use.

The components holds a general mix of different things, though you do note that there are a set of Augury Foci slipped in, your Divination teacher must have had a hand in getting this to you.

Finally, the book is something that most wizards covet. A Boccob's Blessed Book, although one edited to a more Wee Jasian style. It's cover is hardened leather that is almost an almond color, and the pages look to be of a higher quality.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-12, 11:35 PM
*nods as he examines the crystal and components, then places them in his haversack.*

*revernently whispers a prayer as he handles the book, opening it to examine the spells within.*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-13, 12:05 AM
Each of the spells is written in Old Arcadian, a tongue you are now well used to as the Seeker's tend to use it as their own personal code*

Cantrip;
Scholar's Touch

2st Circle;
Whiffling
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The subject’s outline appears blurred, shifting and wavering. This is caused by a distortion in space which grants the subject concealment (10% miss chance).

A see invisibility spell does not counteract the blur effect, nor does a True Sight spell as this is a physical effect on the space around you.

-and-

Bull's Strength.

Foot note;
Basic though it may be it's actually very effective. Much like writing in nothing but Old Celtic would do for a civilian cooperation. It wouldn't stand up against military code breakers but anything else and it's gibberish. Oh yeah, Old Arcadian is a language you know note it on your sheet please. 404 ate this post twice. Had to look over your spell list real quick.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-13, 12:54 AM
*Spends the next several minutes examining the three spells, whistling in wonderment at the first two.*

(while reading the cantrip version of scholar's touch)

Well, that's efficent. Apparently the more comon verison had a couple of extrenious incantations. I wonder if the original author put them there intentionally as some sort of protection, or if the original was simply overengineered.

(while reading whiffiling)

*eyes go wide*

That's... quite abit less power than I would have imagined capable of achieving spatial distortion of that duration. And it can achieve and control that distortion by words alone, without recourse to the usual explanatory movements. I wonder, if the principles of this spell were scaled up, would it produce a superior defensive spell, a new form of transport, or an addition to the list of banned incantations?

*He reads and comprehends bull's strength, but barely reacts to it while considering the implication of the principles of the whiffiling spell.*

*After returning to the present, he turns to the back page.*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-13, 01:33 AM
As was requested by our endorsers, we have not held anything back in creating this Blessed Book... (What come next in clinical step by step book binding instruction)

Below this is an odd writing that has the same feel as the Black Oracle's.

There is more to this. Only you Peilion will be able to see this next part. Speak the word Douvshile to read more, Seeker of Knowledge Lost.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-13, 01:40 AM
*eyes go even wider than when he read the whiffiling spell.*

(whispered, revernently)
Douvshile

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-13, 02:07 AM
Words shift and simmer upon the page. For a moment the book warms in your hands. After that you are looking at a completely different page. It reads;

Seeker of Knowledge lost, We of the Order of Arcane Artifice have been given very specific instructions by a very high up individual whom we both, at this point, now know. He has working with the Security for a while as at this point you now know. I know not why but I have been instructed by my superiors to make this book as invincible as I possibly can.

This book is be-spelled to be immune to fire, water, acid, and force damage. The entire book is backed with ivory, and the leather is anything but normal, Nimerean Lion skin is very hard to come by but such creatures are seen in some places that my adventuring brethren have gone to, and I am thankful my brothers could provide.

You will find the leather of this book is impervious to all forms of slashing and piercing attacks, an impressive achievement. Furthermore, the coat is impermeable and all liquids slide off it without staining it, including blood.

The future of a lot of people is settling on the shoulders of your group, but have comfort in the fact that We have also gained a small measure of foreknowledge. Our aid will come IF you can get to us.

Hopes for Better Days,
Chief Gearsnatcher Batnip

P.S. After all of this you may wish to relax for a while before adventuring again. From one Adventurer to another. These End of the World scenarios, they happen more often than one would like to think, will really take it out of you.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-13, 02:20 AM
*speechless*

*Closes the book, then carefully places it in his haversack. Draws out several books from his portable library and searches through them, looking for more information concerning the Order of Arcane Artifice.*

Books retrieved:

Abjurations to Transmutations, an Arcanist's Almanac

Righting the Angles, Building the Towers

Sights and Attractions of the Realms

Reaching the Transfinite

The Ruby Lady's Dictates

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-13, 02:45 AM
After a few moments of nothing you get your first lead.
Abjurations to Transmutations, an Arcanist's Almanac

As with many secular Orders the Order of Arcane Artifice is unusually specialized and often called upon. Unlike the Order of Magic Architects, and other noble Orders of that sort, the Order of Arcane Artifice is one of the few often commented on secular Orders that comes from this Prime. They are known for their incredible works in any number of different fields but are the foremost creators of magical transport, items, Trinkets, and other such novelties.

In Righting the Angles, Building the Towers you read;

Without any doubt the most adventure minded of the Order of Magic Architects have political connections with the Order of Arcane Artifice.

In Sights and Attractions of the Realms you find, a small mention of the Order of Arcane Artifice in relation to places they have found over the years.

Finally, Reaching the Transfinite had this to say;

Whilst the Order of Arcane Artifice was founded on our Prime, it has since expanded it's working instruction. Unlike other Orders that are recorded to be on multiple planes this is not just a sharing of knowledge. The Order of Arcane Artifice has a Guildhall in Sigil itself and is one of the few Orders to own a Permit of Permanent Gate. It is even said that when establishing his life's work, the Order, Guildmaster Vaden Justis met with the Lady of Pain herself. This may explain his lack of a left arm in the Prime and Astral plane, as rumor says that the payment was quite high indeed.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-13, 02:50 AM
*After spending what was surely a nontrivial amount of time in his research, Pielion looks around, somewhat confusidly, to see who is present (while reading he completely blanked the rest of the world out.)*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-13, 03:00 AM
Sindri is sitting next to a new priestess and seems to talking at length about the differences between magic and the Sublime Way, the girl is actually very active in the conversation and what little gets through to you sounds like it's already deep into the inner mechanics of both arts.

Raven is sitting nearby with a thick tome in front of her and Wyrd is conversing with her. They seem to refer to the tome every now and again. Their conversation is much clearer and you hear Wyrd and Raven both drop Black Oracle multiple times.

The Eldest is sitting near Alma, who is currently using Prestidigitation to doddle on the air. The Eldest is looking at you in a bemused manner.

"Whatever it was, it must be important."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-13, 03:06 AM
*Returns his books to his haversack, withdraws the blessed book.*

Yes. First, the book I was sent is a blessed book. Second, I found a message from the its creator on the back page... a message apparently ensorceled to be revealed only to me. That message contained a password which revealed a further message when I spoke it. Eldest, what do you know of the Order of Arcane Artifice?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-13, 03:18 AM
"Hmm," the Eldest took a moment to think, "they are an Order of the Magos Charter, the secular branch with which you trained when you were younger I'm sure. Their order was made by a Hedge Mage, a man by the name of Vaden Justis, only forty years ago, but they have grown quite large since. Their main objective is the understanding of Artifice as a craft, science, and magic. They are incredibly well connected politically, so much so that they were able to weather the fallout of that one incident in Arafu sixteen years ago without trouble."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-13, 03:29 AM
*nods*

I see. So, most of their history has been since my training concluded. Regardless, I think you should all see this. Well, actually, it claims that only I can see it so I guess I'll have to read it to you:

*Reads the hidden messages in full*

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-13, 03:41 AM
Alma seems to quiver a little and the Eldest places her arm about the girls shoulders.

"They know so much." The little one mumbles.

"Indeed though I have to say this Peilion any advice given by Gearsnatcher Batnip is to be taken," she shutters, "he is one of the spell casters that aided in the campaign with the other continent. A Gnome raised Kobold funnily enough. He was known as Gearsnatcher the Flame Serpent during the war, he sunk boats like the one out in our harbor if that tells you anything. His methiods were as dangerous as they get, he was almost Nulled an almost unheard of thing in this day and age."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-13, 03:51 AM
A gnome raised kobold warhero? Well, that's the... actually I think I may have lost track of how many extrodinary things I've encountered today.

*smirks*

In any case, might you know how we can find and contact him him?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-13, 04:04 AM
"I wasn't ever close with him. He had been a Mercenary at the time, one of the many individual names on the Crimson Concord, that is the other continent's surrender." She looks you directly in the eye. "The other continent never surrendered to us, Peilion, they surrendered to twenty men and women who fought in the war. One of them was Nameless, the Blademaster whom Sindri is rumored to have trained under, a man I once had the pleasure of seeing sink a ship with a sword swing. They are a different sort, someday you may join their ranks, all of you."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-13, 04:22 AM
*seems slightly starstruck at that thought, then shakes himself clear*

Perhaps one day. Now though... survival. Wyrd and I believe we have found the entrance to the archive. Niether Wyrd nor I are in the best shape to explore the place today, though.

Also, should we have our war council before or after we explore the archive?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-13, 04:25 AM
"Before, I wish for you all to be in the archives while others are taking action up hear, but I also wish for you to know what is going on." The Eldest explained as she stroked her hand through Alma's hair.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-13, 04:45 AM
*nods*

Indeed, Eldest. Another question: Should we contact Mistress Tenlinia to arrange her delivery of messages to our allies, or should that wait until after the council?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-13, 04:49 AM
"No, I wish for there to be no way for some people to 'misunderstand'. This war council is going to be trying as it is." She looked down at Alma significantly, "Very trying."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-13, 05:03 AM
Trying... that's one way to describe it, I expect.

So, tomorrow, we explore the archive, and we have the council the day after?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-13, 05:09 AM
"No, I wish for the council to happen before you go into the Archives, Peilion, my you are a bit dotty sometimes." The Eldest smiles reassuringly at you. "It will happen some time tomorrow, most likely in the morn, so you may be entering the Archive as soon as tomorrow night."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-13, 05:16 AM
Well, I am somewhat used to using my nose as a bookmark, what would you expect?

*chuckles, not entirely uncomfortably.*

In that case, shall we take Master Gearsnatcher's advice and get some rest?

Oh, also any idea what we might face down there? So we know what sort of spells to prepare-- I'm assuming I shouldn't have to prepare any spells with the council in mind.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-13, 05:29 AM
"Oh my how forgetful I am today." The Eldest suddenly shifted moods with whip-lashing effect. "My mentor's journals were quite extensive, and I found the description of the one time the Archive was thought to have been found. She researched the entirety of our personal library and came to a startling conclusion." She moved over to the book that she'd brought out of that hall. "The area below our city is a Planar Node, a place where one or more Planes intersect completely. To be exact the Planes in question are the Plane of Dreams, Air, Shadow, and the edge of an odd dimiplane we have no idea of."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-13, 05:39 AM
Hmm... Interesting combination. Might we use your library? I have a book on the subject of the Planes, but I doubt it has enough information to be of much use in researching this.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-13, 06:15 AM
"I'm sure we have a few books on the wider Planescape in our Library, Alma wouldn't have taken you there normally. Although it is of interest. You understand, right?"

Chilingsworth
2013-02-13, 06:25 AM
Of course, Eldest. In any case, we didn't get to complete the tour. We made it to the Oracle Stone, then had to return to treat Wyrd for the side affects it seems to have on shapechangers.

Right, given the circumstances, might we be able to look through those books? Raven is more knowledgable on planar matters than I am, so she should probably take the lead- if that's acceptable to you, Raven. I'd like to help her and maybe one or two of your acolytes could aid us as well? Depending on the size of your collection, of course.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-13, 06:28 AM
"Yes that sounds fine, I'm sure one or two of the girls would like to aid your party, Peilion, but sadly you must first be introduced to the political side of this fair city."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-13, 06:30 AM
*deadpan*

And I thought today couldn't get any worse.

*smirks to show he's only being... oh, 90% serrious.:smallamused:*

*sighs*

I understand the nessecity. Umm, Wyrd, might you be feeling well enough to do the talking, or at least to cover for me if I stick my foot in my mouth again? I'd rather avoid getting this city doomed by being too blunt or otherwise socially inept.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-13, 06:52 AM
"In some ways far too true." The Eldest says as she places Alma on one of the large pillows. Then, with a chuckle, she says. "The Wizards greatest foe was the one he could never blow up, politics."

"Now that book of yours has given you a good idea of the persons of import but not all of the tapestry is show by a mirror.

Our Duke isn't with us, he lives elsewhere, and in a show of 'faith' to our city he sent his second son and the young man's sister here under our care. The boy is now a man and is considered to be more a ruler of the city by both his father and older brother, a bequithment of land and honor. The city has prospered but with prosperity one must deal with the rats.

The Council of Advisers is one of the most annoying thorns in the day to day running of the city. They have made it so the Duke himself would have to personally discharge them, and he has not the time for his youngest sons trifles, I'm quoting there. They hold weight among the general citizenry alongside the Merchant's Council a bunch of greedy people who have also wedged their interests into the system.

Both of these thorns were made before Alekzandier made his way here, they are the old ruling system used when the Duke just left the Keep, but they have long since been nothing but a thorn. This is what is going on at the Keep."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-14, 07:43 PM
*seems dumbfounded, also the shock of the day seems to be taking its toll.*

Peak inside Pielion's mind:
Will we have to fight the government of this city, too?! Yes, the Eldest is right, diplomatic problems are the worst kind for me to face.

So are you saying that there are elements in this city's government that might chose to prevent us from defending it? That these elements have the authority to succeed in their opposition, and that we effectively have no way to see them overruled?

*sighs heavily*

Right, so what do you know about the individual members of these councils? Do we have any allies among them?

Also, what about the other persons and organisations of interest in town: What about this sage, and Mistress Tenlinia? What about the Boccobites? The messenger said we should work with them all. What other churches have presences in this city? And what more can you tell me of Alekzandier and his sister? Also, might the duke be a good person to send our message to when the time comes?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-14, 10:48 PM
"Alekzandier and his sister are two very powerful individuals, not physically so but politically. Back when Alekzandier first came to the city it had fallen on some hard times, pirates you know. His answer wasn't to tax the peasants, but to instead instate the Water Wardens, a militia that he holds to a very stringent standard. This had won him the hearts of the commoners, but the Advisers and Merchants Council both hold the peasants purse strings." Sindri broke in at this point.

"That doesn't sound right. How are they holding this much control."

"A good question, and one the Temple District's Council of Faith would like to know as well."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-14, 10:56 PM
Are any of the councilors or their close allies magic users, perhaps? Might they be using enchantments to gain influence? Alternatively, perhaps they are using blackmail or some other form of mundane coercion?

How are the Water Wardens funded, if not by tax revenue?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-14, 11:18 PM
"If it were so simple we would have found out by now. The truth of the matter is that of all those I've already mentioned they are known variables to a puzzle that I have yet to find all the pieces for. Both of these council's are moving with a purpose, most of their efforts seem nonsensical until you take all twelve members movements into account. Then a complex web of shadows opens up before us. It's frightening how skilled some of these manipulations can get, even as guarded as we all are they manage to slip past us every time they work in union." The Eldest shudders. "Whomever is pulling the strings is so skilled at this sort of thing I'm sure there are other places, perhaps entire duchies, are already under their control."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-14, 11:23 PM
*obviously concerned*

The messenger said something I just realised might be relevant, when telling me to share the information she gave me, she said "I'm no Vecna, the old bones, to enjoy keeping secrets," or something like that. I wonder, could that secretkeeping... so and so... be allied with our apparent primary foe?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-16, 09:16 PM
"That is not the best revelation, a servant of those old bones would account for a cunning foe able to manipulate from behind the scenes. The Water Warden's are counted as a privateer company and get to use a first come first serve law on the loot of the boats they capture, but for the first two years young Alekzandier payed for the Wardens out of his own pocket." The Eldest replied, Sindri added his two coppers into this conversion.

"So, we've got two politically strong councils moving agenda's we have no idea about and a have a strong hold on their authority? Not to mention the fact that they may or may not be working for a foe of your church, geez "

Chilingsworth
2013-02-16, 09:30 PM
Agreed, Sindri.

Hmm, can we at least exclude them from our initial meeting?

Hmm, or better yet, could we use the meeting as a chance to get information out of them? I could enspell some coins or similarly sized objects with dormant scrying sensors (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-scoundrel--60/spymasters-coin--904/), then activate them at varrious times after the meeting. The spell I'm thinking of offers some protection against discovery, but maybe we could borrow one of our foes' tricks and coat it thin layers of divination-interfearing metal? It should still work as a listening device, though that would probably make it fail as a visual scrying device.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-16, 09:36 PM
"Hm, perhaps, but our current objective isn't to fight these foes, right now." The eldest says as she pulls a book towards her. "They don't know of the Archives and I wish to keep it that way. I plan to tell them you will be an alternate plan, going through a set of catacombs that we may or may not be able to get into after so many years, a necessary deceit."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-16, 10:01 PM
Hmm, having to lie to our actual allies is quite unfortunate. I understand the need, of course.

Still, wouldn't it be wise to try gaining some information out of them? And might we meet with our true allies at some point to tell them the truth, or get them that information by other means?

On another note, Eldest: Might you have access to any quills of scribing (http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/quill-of-scribing) and some scroll scribing supplies I could use? I was thinking of scribing some scrolls of spymaster's coin, so Wyrd can activate them and use kir's far more senitive eyes and ears with them. Also, I was thinking of preparing some scrolls of invisibility for Mistress Tenlinia's flight, to give her and her wyvern a chance to get out of the city without being immediately noticed.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-16, 10:19 PM
"Hm, yes we do have one and it is at your disposal. Though the risk of harming your development does concern me." The Eldest says after a moments thought. "Wyrd-Kir could you do as your companion asks?"

"It is within my abilities." Wyrd replies immediately.

"Here you guys go, I made them my self. I hope you don't need them but better to have and not need and all that." Sindri cuts in as he hands both you, Raven, and Wyrd a necklace each. "They took a bloody long time to get everything for, but they will aid you all greatly. Now why the heck would a bunch of outsiders like us have to know all the political BS anyway."

You have gained a Amulet of Devoted Spirit (Novice).

Ingrained within this Amulet is the knowledge for the Iron Guard's Glare Martial Stance. Use it well.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-16, 10:26 PM
My rate of develoment is unlikely to matter if we fail, though I certainly thank you for your concern, Eldest.
*bows*

Sindri... thank you.

*examines the necklace, taking out his copy of The Way of The Not So Peaceful Warrior and examining what it has to say on the matter.*

*Tries to find the chapter on the relevant stance, but fails. Looks confused*

Umm, Sindri, what excatly does this do?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-16, 10:57 PM
The Eldest waves for the Half-Ogre to go first so he pulls himself to his full height, an intimidating 7' 8".

"This is a teaching aid used for young children on the path, but it can be used to ingrain a skill pattern, specifically the patterns held in the body of a practitioner of the Sublime Way. I used a little known loophole to get skill not my own, and Forged those skills into these items. To this one," He tapped the amulet in your hand, "I have ingrained a set of skills that will allow you to aid us in combat, whilst staying away from the front lines, though I was tempted to go with another I think the Iron Guard's Gaze Stance should aid us all."

"As to why I am telling you all this information, there is a practice that in times of emergencies an informed outsider and a group of their choice would represent the outsiders in the city. I wish for you all to be that Outsider's Council so that the two thrones don't vote one of their puppets in."

Chilingsworth
2013-02-16, 11:36 PM
*nods to Sindri*
I think I understand.

*looks up the mentioned stance*

Ah, I see, basically this necklace allows me to reduce the effectiveness of foes to whom I pose a melee threat, at least when they try to attack anyone other than me.

*looks thoughtful*

Hmm, not sure I like the idea of giving foes more reason to swing at me. Still, I suppose I could make better use of this if I had a reach weapon, right? Granted, I only vaugely know what to do with one, shouldn't matter much. I mean, you've seen me try to use my family sword- a weapon I've actually trained with- I can't use it worth a copper. Hells, if it wasn't an heirloom, I'd probably let it rust in its sheath. So, I doubt my chances of being an effective combatant would be greatly reduced by using a reach weapon I know little about, since I really can't get any worse.

*Chuckles, then goes over what he said*

Not that I mean any disrespect or don't appreciate it, my friend. Indeed, I quite admire the craftman's ship you've shown in this. It's just that, as a... what's the term I'm looking for?... squishy wizard? Yes, as one of those, I really hope I don't end up in a position where it will have any effect.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-16, 11:50 PM
"You are going into a tight, I'm assuming here, Archive full o books. If it's anything like the libraries you and Raven like to coup yourselves in we're not going to have a lot of space, by my assumption." Sindri said calmly.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-17, 12:00 AM
*Nods thoughtfully, then blushes out of embarassment*

Err, point taken. Guess that's the difference between reading about martial matters and being a competent warrior, right there. Heh.

Right, so this outsiders' council... other than us, are there any notable outsiders currently in the city? Also, if we're going to actually represent the outsiders in town, is there anything we should know about them so we can represent them better? I know, it likely doesn't matter in our specific circumstances, but if we're going to act based on the pretense of doing a job, we might as well try to do it, no?

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-17, 12:28 AM
"Ah, yes there are the basic traveler's who come and go with time, and then there are the other adventurers like yourselves." She smiles. "I believe you all understand how they think, but other than yourselves I can only think of old Throkmorn as the only other choice."

Knowledge (Arcana)

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-17, 12:41 AM
Throkmorn's name catches your ear. A wizard of some age he was once called the Logic Mage, known for breaking down how everything worked. He was the original writer of a lot of the normal Reference section found in magical library. His flaws were that he was incredibly dry, with no emotional connection to his work creating books and thesis' that are hard to read through, and he also had a verbose and condescending writing style, in that if he could write it in one word or fifteen he'd chose fifteen. This does not stop him from being an important traveling sage of magic, even though he himself is in fact a weak wizard.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-17, 12:54 AM
Throkmorn? I remember reading his Basic Primer on Magic Arcane when I was in school. From what I remember, I was the only member of my class that could read it for more than a few minutes without falling asleep. Not that I didn't occasionally use it to help me enter trance. Still, I'm sure he could be a valuable information resource, if we can get him to work with us.

'Able' Xanthis
2013-02-17, 12:58 AM
"Yes and whilst most people think he would be more... animated in real life he speaks in the same way he writes. It's hard to be around him without," the Eldest chuckled, "nodding off."