PDA

View Full Version : barbarian all must die stereotype?

silverwolfer
2013-01-20, 03:24 AM
Can a barbarian get past the shocktropper sterotype combat, or is it stuck in that role?

Deca4531
2013-01-20, 03:31 AM
Can a barbarian get past the shocktropper sterotype combat, or is it stuck in that role?

i see most of the things in D&D in WOW terms. Barbs make for good tank and good dps, but they arent the most versatile of classes. through, i dont think many expect them to be.

ArcturusV
2013-01-20, 03:32 AM
Never really seen anything that gets them around it (Though I by no means know or have all the books). I mean there should be a flavor of Barbarian that's more about a cunning, tough survivalist. But I think they feared that would step on Ranger turf too much so eliminated it.

I do agree with you that it's something of a hole.

Kobold Esq
2013-01-20, 03:49 AM

Most barbarians (meaning less civilized, less urbanized, possibly nomadic, etc) people would not necessarily be of the barbarian class. Many could be rangers, scouts, druids, wilderness rogues, spirit shamans, etc. The villagers would still be commoners and experts.

The barbarian class represents a very specific mechanical niche, which is not necessarily linked in any way to "barbaric" people.

Diovid
2013-01-20, 04:58 AM
With alternative class features, it can get past the stereotype somewhat. There are several variants which give the Barbarian a more Ranger-y feel, there are a few variants which make a Barbarian a tough guy to kill, there are a few variants aimed at grappling and there are a few variants dealing with intimidation and fear. But in the end the main strength of the Barbarian lies in charging and power attacking.

Waddacku
2013-01-20, 05:34 AM
There's that UA variant that replaces Rage (and improvements) with Favored Enemy and the Archery Combat Style (and improvements). I'm not certain what particular use it could be put to, though. Maybe in conjunction with other ACFs it can go places.

(if you allow ACF chaining and let Archery Combat Style count for Combat Style in general, it could pick up the Wildshape Ranger ACF)

Juntao112
2013-01-20, 05:37 AM

Allow me to answer your question in a suitably unique manner. (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?303807-The-Hao-Han)

Doorhandle
2013-01-20, 05:57 AM
Easier to get past this in pathfinder, as they are less options for charging and power-attacking (best options still present in barbarian though...)

Generally speaking, they can take up roles including "World's scariest man," "combat maneuver-master that can suplex a train" and "guy who breaks magic with his face."

Uncle Pine
2013-01-20, 05:58 AM
There was a wonderful handbook by Solo on brilliantgameologists, but the site is down at the moment so I can't link it :smallannoyed:
However, as an alternative to shocktrooper or the favored enemy, Dragon Magazine #349 has the city brawler ACF, that replaces proficiency with martial weapons, medium armor and shields with Improved Unarmed Strike, Two-Weapon Fighting when fighting unarmed and at 6th and 11th, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting respectively. You also take only -2 to hit with an improvised weapon instead of -4. Enjoy being a better unarmed fighter than the monk itself! :smallbiggrin:

Juntao112
2013-01-20, 06:00 AM
Link to this one. (http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,653.0.html)

Vaz
2013-01-20, 06:56 AM
Archerbarian?

Frantic Rage, Whirling Frenzy, Haste = 6. Ranged Attacks at +8 Dex a turn. Other tricks and stuff.

Flickerdart
2013-01-20, 11:22 AM
Barbarians make pretty good trippers - that strength bonus and the size increase from Mountain Rage really help, especially in the early game.