PDA

View Full Version : Persistent spell+Extended Spell

Alaspada89
2013-01-20, 07:28 AM
Hi guys i have a question for you:
Is this combination possible(with all the easy metamagic cheese included)?
Or there is a Faq or Errata that said it's not possible?

Thanks ^^

Agincourt
2013-01-20, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure there is a definitive answer. I have seen both arguments made. Some say that you persist a spell, then extend it, it is 48 hours long. Others say that by persisting it, it's already extended.

It's probably up to the DM. If you are a player, make your best argument for the answer you want. If you are the DM, it is just a matter of how powerful you want persist to be.

Mato
2013-01-20, 12:11 PM
Persist sets the duration to 24 hours.
Extend doubles duration.
You stack rules in the most favorable order.

In another way of saying things, Critical Hits deal double damage. Does this mean you deal exactly double your base weapon damage plus your strength bonus irregardless of damage reduction and energy vulnerabilities?

Silly readings are silly.

Bakkan
2013-01-20, 12:23 PM
Honestly, it depends on how you want to interpret what exactly metamagic does. The difficulty is the precise wording of Extend Spell:

An extended spell lasts twice as long as normal.

(Bold mine)

Now we have a few ways of interpreting this. Suppose take our Persistable spell, say divine power, and apply Persist Spell to it. We now have a persisted divine power with a duration of 24 hours. Now we apply Extend spell to this. Here's the question: What is the "normal" duration of persisted divine power? On the one hand you have the argument that this is still just a variation of divine power, and so the "normal" duration is 1 round/level, and so Extending it changes the duration to 2 rounds/level, overriding the effect of Persist Spell, which we applied before Extend. The other position is that we should consider persisted divine power to be essentially a new spell, identical in every way to divine power except that its duration is 24 hours. Under this interpretation, the (new) spell extended persisted divine power should last 48 hours, as that is double the "normal" duration of persisted divine power.

Hirax
2013-01-20, 12:29 PM
Bakkan pretty much posted all there is to post. Nobody can claim to have a correct interpretation, there's nothing that points strongly in the direction of one interpretation from a RAW perspective. People claim otherwise, but I still have yet to see anything convincing.

Mato
2013-01-20, 12:42 PM
An extended spell lasts twice as long as normal.
(Bold mine)

Now we have a few ways of interpreting this. It could be discussing length, duration, or even desire. I want to argue about it but also to appear as a neutral and informative party so let me explain the repercussions of reading it in the various ways.

lol. Just kidding.

Vaz
2013-01-20, 12:48 PM
You might well be joking about "long", but "lasts" is fairly comprehensive in that it refers to length of time. While it could be arguest that casting time lasts twice as long, its fairly obviously duration.

Bakkan
2013-01-20, 01:06 PM
(Bold mine)

Now we have a few ways of interpreting this. It could be discussing length, duration, or even desire. I want to argue about it but also to appear as a neutral and informative party so let me explain the repercussions of reading it in the various ways.

lol. Just kidding.

Heh. Yeah, I post neutrally because I honestly haven't arrived at a conclusion for myself yet. I've never had a player want to do this so I've never been forced to make a call.

Mato
2013-01-20, 01:26 PM
Watch me. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON0tUATUeP8#t=04m24s)

Extra Characters.