PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my shapeshift variant Druid.

vageta31
2013-01-20, 08:11 AM
Long story short.. Standard Druid is banned(with good reason) in our current campaign but the shapeshifting variant along with spontaneous rejuvenation is fine. It looks fun to play and I know with spells alone that I'll still be powerful, I'm just looking for any ideas that I'm maybe not considering in regards to building him.

Basic setup:

Forgotten Realms
30 point buy
Starting level 3

Due to size actually mattering in shapeshift forms I'm not too interested in choosing a small race so Strongheart Halfing is out. I'm basically considering either a Human or an Earth Dwarf(already ok'd). Human gives me the extra feat and skill points, Earth Dwarf gives me +str/con, darkvision and some other nice bonuses. The 20ft movement is not an issue due to the free shapeshifting speeds even at level 1 so I'm thinking this is my best option.

Would taking a single level of Monk be worth the loss of a caster level, if only for the ability to get a wisdom bonus to AC and use my unarmed strikes while shifted? It'd only be one level and even though I lose a CL I still get some nice stuff in return. Assuming I get 16 wis and 14 dex that puts me at 19ac while shifted, not to mention barkskin would add +2 and a quick mage armor from our wiz/rogue would be another +4. The cleric buffs could take that even higher if needbe, but the point is would it be worth it for the one level? Wilding clasps and monk belts are well out of range for now so I'm looking for lower level survivability.

I'd be the primary tank in the party since no one else wants to play the BSF guy and shapeshift Druid with buffs seems the best choice. If we fought something that even I wouldn't want to tangle with I still have the option of casting SNA so long as I prepare it, but most of the time I think with buffs I would suffice.

Just looking for some other ideas. I'm not asking for greenbound summoning, just some general ideas I may have not considered that would make the melee portion of the class viable in regards to replacing the fighter/barbarian front man.