PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Aegis?

Drelua
2013-01-20, 09:22 AM
I've been considering playing an Aegis for an upcoming campaign, but I had a few concerns. It seems like an interesting class, but I'm worried I won't have very many options in combat. I thought about dipping into another class for some offensive power and more class skills, but I'm not sure which one. Novawurmson's guide had some good advice, but didn't seem very detailed.Whatever I choose, I'll probably take Practiced Manifester for the bonus PP.

We play with Pathfinder Core, but we pretty much use 3.5 splats just as freely as those from PF. This game's E12, starting at level 3. Our point buy is pretty powerful, using the costs from 3rd but starting with all 10s using 25 points. Equivalent to 37 PB, but we figure starting with 10s instead of 8s prevents min-maxing, whereas Pathfinder's system practically encourages you to play something like a Dwarf with 5 charisma.

The first build that occurred to me was Tashalatora, but that's fairly feat intensive and, of course, MAD. I'd need Monastic Training + Tashalatora, and Kung Fu Genius would be good. I'd probably end up with Monk 3/Aegis 9, since Aegis 10 is about as close as it gets to a dead level without being one. I'm not sure what Monk archetype to use, but I considered Wanderer, partly for the exotic weapon. I know it kind of clashes with the whole Astral Suit thing, but I thought it might be cool to focus on the Astral Skin, plus I generally like to play high-DEX characters.

I also thought about playing a Metaforge, which pretty much builds itself, but sadly enough this might be a bit too deadly for my group. I played a level 12 Soulknife once and completely outclassed the Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple, to give you an idea of how optimized my group is. Believe me, that is a very mild example.

TL;DR I want to play an Aegis, but I'm worried they might lack combat options. I'm looking for build ideas that might help with this; nothing optimal, just something fun.

Oh, and ToB is allowed, but I'm not sure I like it for this particular character.