PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Storm Bolt [Reserve]

yougi
2013-01-20, 10:04 AM
So I've looked at the Storm Bolt reserve feat (CM, p.47) for my sorcerer, and I wonder if it's missing something. It says (I'm not sure if I can quote, so I'll reword) that as long as I have a lightning spell available to cast (of 3rd level or higher), I can shoot 20ft lines of lightning that cause Xd6, X being the highest level lightning spell I have available.

So, questions:

Is there a save to this? Or a touch attack? Or is it a la magic missile, you eat the damage and screw you?
If I have fireball in my spells known, and energy substitution (electric), does that count?
(Just to make sure, as I think it does, but to be certain) Does the damage affect everyone in the line?

Waddacku
2013-01-20, 10:12 AM
1. The errata adds a Reflex save for half damage.
2. Ask your DM.
3. Yes.

Gotterdammerung
2013-01-20, 10:13 AM
So I've looked at the Storm Bolt reserve feat (CM, p.47) for my sorcerer, and I wonder if it's missing something. It says (I'm not sure if I can quote, so I'll reword) that as long as I have a lightning spell available to cast (of 3rd level or higher), I can shoot 20ft lines of lightning that cause Xd6, X being the highest level lightning spell I have available.

So, questions:

Is there a save to this? Or a touch attack? Or is it a la magic missile, you eat the damage and screw you?
If I have fireball in my spells known, and energy substitution (electric), does that count?
(Just to make sure, as I think it does, but to be certain) Does the damage affect everyone in the line?

1. There is no save to that particular reserve feat. Apparently, there is an errata. So yes it has a save. Some reserve feats do have saves, when they do the save is = to 10+ the level of the spell reserved+ the ability modifier you would use to apply to the DC of the reserved spell.

2. Yes, energy substitution changes the energy descriptor of the spell, which makes it viable to fuel this reserve feat.

3. Yes. a 30ft line is a line 5 ft wide and 30 feet long on the map. Anyone in those squares will take the dmg from the reserve feat.

Also just F.Y.I. Reserve feats are Supernatural abilities, not spells or spell-like abilities.

yougi
2013-01-20, 10:14 AM
1. The errata adds a Reflex save for half damage.
2. Ask your DM.
3. Yes.

Excellent, thank you very much! :)

Seer_of_Heart
2013-01-20, 10:21 AM
You are powering this with circle magic right? Just energy substitute a cantrip to electricity and heighten it to 20th level.

Mr Adventurer
2013-01-20, 10:45 AM
As a sorcerer, you need more than the substitution feat - you would need to be ableto prepare an actually substituted spell, IIRC

yougi
2013-01-20, 10:53 AM
As a sorcerer, you need more than the substitution feat - you would need to be able to prepare an actually substituted spell, IIRC

Hence the "If I have fireball in my spells known" part, since I could cast a "thunderball". Would that be enough, or do you mean I'd need to prepare, as in be a prepared caster?

Jack_Simth
2013-01-20, 10:57 AM
2. Ask your DM.This is definitely a correct answer, and always will be (regardless of the question).

2. Yes, energy substitution changes the energy descriptor of the spell, which makes it viable to fuel this reserve feat.
This one is potentially correct. The possible issues that make it maybe not correct come from the reserve feat header, which treats prepared casters and spontaneous casters differently. For a prepared caster, you have to have the spell prepared that way. For a spontaneous caster, you have to actually know a spell of that level (and have a slot available for it). The determining question then becomes "Does having a metamagic feat that lets you meet the requirements count as knowing a spell that meets the requirements?" - and considering that Sorcerers apply metamagic at casting, and the reserve feat header very explicitly says spells that gain the descriptor at casting don't count (and gives the specific example of the Summon Monster line), the answer may be "no". If it is "yes", however, pick up Heighten spell and all the reserve feats you want, as you can now power all of them with your low level spells known as long as you keep a high level spell slot open.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-01-20, 11:39 AM
Unfortunately by RAW, you would need it *prepared* with energy sub for it to count, by the wording in C.Mage. I think this is complete rubbish, however, and my DM allowed my spont. caster to use a reserve feat just by having an energy spell of [insert level] and the proper energy sub. feat.

So ask your DM nicely.

Mr Adventurer
2013-01-20, 11:40 AM
Yes, Jack Simth is onto what I mean; and AFAIK it does mean you need a spell that is electricity or to actually prepare an electricity spell (using one of the methods of doing so I.e. Arcane Preparation feat or similar), as a Sorcerer.