PDA

View Full Version : [PF+3.X] Immunity to mind-affecting effects

Darius Kane
2013-01-20, 01:45 PM
What ways are there for gaining immunity to mind-affecting effects, but without items, spells or outside help?
I know about Occult Slayer. I will have the 5 levels to spare and Slayer's other class features aren't that bad for the character I'm making (they will be useful), but of course there are better options for those levels so I'm looking for alternatives.

Corlindale
2013-01-20, 01:59 PM
It's pretty hard in PF, at least. You could try to become an undead creature, but that tends to require GM-help.

Nature oracles can give themselves the plant type at level 20, getting the associated immunities, but that's VERY late in the game.

Darius Kane
2013-01-20, 02:03 PM
I'm not limited to PF. I know that there are ways to do it in 3.X, I just don't remember them.

I forgot to add, Undead won't work for me, the character will lose his Regeneration.

20 levels is too much. I'm already debating if 5 is okay.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-01-20, 02:17 PM
Hmm... it might help if you could tell us what the character already has and what he's supposed to do. As it is, I'm not sure what's stopping you from going straight Occult Slayer or even just cranking up your will save.

I'd suggest taking a single level of cleric and using the cheesy mind-control-blocking power of protection from evil, but you even ruled out spells for some reason.

Jack_Simth
2013-01-20, 02:41 PM
I'm not limited to PF. I know that there are ways to do it in 3.X, I just don't remember them.

I forgot to add, Undead won't work for me, the character will lose his Regeneration.

20 levels is too much. I'm already debating if 5 is okay.

So... you want a dip class that grants immunity to mind-affecting abilities? Good luck with that. You want to keep your regeneration, so changing to construct is out. Plant and Ooze types get it. Not sure of any templates that'll get there for less LA than 8. Although if you're using Pathfinder, it's CR, not LA, in which case, the Greenbound template (Lost Empires of Faerun) *might* work for you; it's an LA of +8, but a CR of only +2.

I'm guessing you are making yourself an Ikea Tarrasque?

Slipperychicken
2013-01-20, 03:57 PM
Willing Deformity (Insanity), from either Elder Evils or Heroes of Horror. Scores you (Ex) immunity to mind affecting, reduces your Wisdom by 4, and gives a 1/minute:smallyuk: boost to Will saves equal to HD. Requires the feat Willing Deformity, which requires you to be Evil. It's [Vile], so you can get it I'm exchange for allegiance to an Elder Evil.

You should be able to find this in the Lists of Stuff.

Darius Kane
2013-01-20, 03:57 PM
As it is, I'm not sure what's stopping you from going straight Occult Slayer or even just cranking up your will save.
As I said, I'm looking for alternatives. Maybe there's something better than 5 levels in a prc, I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

So... you want a dip class that grants immunity to mind-affecting abilities?
No, I'm looking for alternatives to 5 levels of Occult Slayer.

Willing Deformity (Insanity), from either Elder Evils or Heroes of Horror. Scores you (Ex) immunity to mind affecting, reduces your Wisdom by 4, and gives a 1/minute:smallyuk: boost to Will saves equal to HD. Requires the feat Willing Deformity, which requires you to be Evil.

It's Willing Deformity (madness), actually, and it gives 1/2 HD to Will saves.
Hm. If I'm immune to mind-affecting effects then what other effects are there that need Will saves?

Slipperychicken
2013-01-20, 04:23 PM
It's Willing Deformity (madness), actually, and it gives 1/2 HD to Will saves.
Hm. If I'm immune to mind-affecting effects then what other effects are there that need Will saves?

Not many, and the 1/minute boost should cover you most of the time. Things like Glitterdust, Plane Shift, some Transmutations like Slow. There might be one or two Fear effects without the Mind-Affecting tag, but those are definitely a fringe case. Even when you face these, you're only operating at a net -2 after you pop the 1/minute boost.

Jack_Simth
2013-01-20, 04:25 PM
Most scrying effects, many illusion effects, Plane Shift, Trap the Soul, a few others.