PDA

View Full Version : Help a DM Brainstorm

rweird
2013-01-20, 02:45 PM
First of all, my players, keep out, this isn't for your eyes. Stop reading now.

I want help brainstorming something for a campaign i'm DMing, this is a Solo game, though ideas mentioned here i may use in other games i run so i don't want any of my players looking.

What happened so far: The PC is a druid 12/Beastmaster 1 (NG), he does pretty well, though he is in the service of a minor noble named Alsan (4th level aristocrat, this entire thing would be pretty much unnoticed excepts for a 13th level character taking interest, LN, wants to advance and power, though wants the city to prosper, he is a lot less moral than the PC), in a city with a bunch of factions opposing each other putting the city in a gridlock.

What's happened so far:
Alsan met with a rival, who attempted to kidnap him, though the PC, who was acting as his body guard stopped the attempt using energy immunity on Alsan before hand and having him carry a bunch of Fire Seeds (they expected troubler), this caused a good deal of property damage and pissed the rival off (he barely escaped the fire with his life). The rival met with another minor house that also was enemies with Alsan. The PC killed the ruling noble of that house after he sent assassins after Alsan (Alsan hasn't given the PC a reason, this is before the PC met Alsan). They decided to try to assassinate Alsan while he met with an ally, the PC neutralized them before Alsan or the other noble were seriously hurt, and managed to put out the fire.

The same day, at night the enemies arranged a full attack on Alsan's house (actual home), they went as far as to commission fiendish mercenaries to help out. The battle hasn't finished yet, though the PC was distracted by two low-level mooks sneaking in the back way. They stalled for time, and with the help of a fiendish mercenary and a few fiendish eagles, delayed the PC 9 rounds (he was wild-shaped into a legendary eagle, and was low-ish on spells, so it took a long time). His Animal Companion and Wild Cohort both were with the main attack, and we are working out what happened before the PC arrives. The session ended on round 4, and the defenders were in full retreat after loosing over half there forces (1st level mainly) to two Large Air elementals summoned from elemental gems, though they managed to kill pretty much all the humanoid attackers. The result i foresee is Alsan is slain, though the PC raises him (he prepared to revive Alsan if he died previously), or the attack fails. Either way, they'd want to end Alsan and the PC for good.

What i want ideas for: How can i use lowish level characters (no higher than 6th level for the most part), to launch effective attacks against a 12th level druid and a 4th level aristocrat (both will need to die, or they'll need to take Alsan's body once they kill him and then track down the PC)? I'm planning on 1-3 more attacks before they call it quits, Alsan & allies' counter-attack destroys them, or they work out a deal. What are you suggestions?

nedz
2013-01-20, 04:57 PM
Basic options, well which stand a chance of working.

Casters
Poison
Traps

I'd forget Stealth unless the two targets are inept at Spot and Listen.
Melee is right out.

rweird
2013-01-20, 04:59 PM
Basic options, well which stand a chance of working.

Casters
Poison
Traps

I'd forget Stealth unless the two targets are inept at Spot and Listen.
Melee is right out.

Druid has a wisdom ~30, stealth still can work if they stay away from him.

Traps: What kind of trap is portable, or able to be set up in a city without hitting other people.

Poison: Good idea. I think i'll try that.

docnessuno
2013-01-20, 05:49 PM
Dominate animal can be nasty if used on the Druid's animal companion and/or wild cohort.

Ray of stupidity instagibs animal companions and/or wild cohorts.

Proper debuffing can also cripple the druid if he doesn't have the correct countermesures memorized. Blinding spittle, Ray of exhaustion, Ray of dizzines, Ray of clumsiness, Ray of enfeeblement (yes, i love rays), Enervation (from a scroll or wand), Escalating Enfeeblement, Fell drain cantrips.

A level 5 duskblade can be a pretty effective one-round wonder (Quickened true strike, full PA with 2h weapon, channelig shocking grasp), able to put a dent in the druid despite his massive armor.

Messing with spellcasting also helps: Mordenkainen's Buzzing Bee, Silence, Kelden's suspended silence, readied actions to interrupt spellcasting.

Overall the main problem of 4th-6th level characters against a 14th level character (and a druid nontheless!) is that mundane combatants are pretty much out of the game, so you will have to rely on spellcasting, cleaver use of traps/terrain/features and other factors.

rweird
2013-01-20, 06:01 PM
Dominate animal can be nasty if used on the Druid's animal companion and/or wild cohort.

Ray of stupidity instagibs animal companions and/or wild cohorts.

Proper debuffing can also cripple the druid if he doesn't have the correct countermesures memorized. Blinding spittle, Ray of exhaustion, Ray of dizzines, Ray of clumsiness, Ray of enfeeblement (yes, i love rays), Enervation (from a scroll or wand), Escalating Enfeeblement, Fell drain cantrips.

A level 5 duskblade can be a pretty effective one-round wonder (Quickened true strike, full PA with 2h weapon, channelig shocking grasp), able to put a dent in the druid despite his massive armor.

Messing with spellcasting also helps: Mordenkainen's Buzzing Bee, Silence, Kelden's suspended silence, readied actions to interrupt spellcasting.

Overall the main problem of 4th-6th level characters against a 14th level character (and a druid nontheless!) is that mundane combatants are pretty much out of the game, so you will have to rely on spellcasting, cleaver use of traps/terrain/features and other factors.

The problem with dominate is both of the Animal Companion and Wild Cohort have at least +12 on will saves, while the DC would be around 16. Still, good ideas.

Do you have any advice for using level 1-3 things?

docnessuno
2013-01-20, 06:12 PM
Tome of battle can help non-spellcasting lvl 1/3 characters do something before being squished to death by Druidzilla. Mighty throw (on a character with improved trip), Counter charge (chance to deny a charge attack), Fire riposte (4d6 fire as a touch attack), Emerald razor (resolve attack agaisnt touch AC) are all decent options.

Other mundanes will have a very hard time being effective in combat (if a level 3 character can hit a level 14 druid non-touch AC then something is kinda odd)

nedz
2013-01-20, 06:17 PM
The trouble with low level casters is that the scene may look very contrived.

He should have a weak Reflex save, so these are good.

He should also have a low Touch AC, so rays which offer no save should be good.

You might be able to trick him with an illusion, but that could be iffy should he come to suspect a trick — it might buy you a round or two though.

Otherwise it's the standard low level shut-downs.
Web, Sleet Storm, etc.

I wouldn't rely on one tactic: you probably need to be throwing 5 different things at him at once. Expect your attackers to take high casualties though.

OR
you could try an indirect approach.
Poison his Water, Poison his Beer, Poison his Cheese.

rweird
2013-01-20, 06:22 PM
Tome of battle can help non-spellcasting lvl 1/3 characters do something before being squished to death by Druidzilla. Mighty throw (on a character with improved trip), Counter charge (chance to deny a charge attack), Fire riposte (4d6 fire as a touch attack), Emerald razor (resolve attack agaisnt touch AC) are all decent options.

Other mundanes will have a very hard time being effective in combat (if a level 3 character can hit a level 14 druid non-touch AC then something is kinda odd)

When non-wildshaped, the druid's AC is ~13 i think, so if they can get him in non-wildshape, it might work.

nedz: Good ideas, any advice how to get the poison in the food?

docnessuno
2013-01-20, 06:23 PM
OR
you could try an indirect approach.
Poison his Water, Poison his Beer, Poison his Cheese.

Kinda hard

Venom Immunity (Ex)
At 9th level, a druid gains immunity to all poisons.

I am a Druid1 I have special abilities that are more powerful than your entire class!

rweird
2013-01-20, 06:26 PM
Kinda hard

Though it could work on Alsan. They want to kill the druid for what he's done, and Alsan for being the one that got the druid to do such. The food would be bought at a market or whatnot so poisoning it should be rather hard.

docnessuno
2013-01-20, 06:28 PM
Though it could work on Alsan. They want to kill the druid for what he's done, and Alsan for being the one that got the druid to do such. The food would be bought at a market or whatnot so poisoning it should be rather hard.

To be honest killing a 4th level Arisocrat is not the hard part of the problem.
Also few poisons are outright lethal, and using a stat-damaging poision would allow the druid to memorize one of the many option he has remove it. And start casting "detect poison" on supplies.

rweird
2013-01-20, 06:38 PM
To be honest killing a 4th level Arisocrat is not the hard part of the problem.
Also few poisons are outright lethal, and using a stat-damaging poision would allow the druid to memorize one of the many option he has remove it. And start casting "detect poison" on supplies.

I mean how would you poison the food in the first place? It more is getting him to eat the poison. I'm thinking about poisoned weapons on the next attack though.