PDA

View Full Version : AvB - The Called One

Pages : [1] 2

Monodominant
2013-01-20, 03:49 PM
Bobthe6th and DMs only. Tresspassers will be dumped at the Docks at Midnight.

Walking west...

You were correct after all! I just rechecked the map.

he arrives at the King's Causeway which bridges the city with the island on which the Fortress stands and then extends beyond it towards the Docks and later the slums.

There is a gatehouse right in front of you and you can see another one at the end of the causeway blocking entrance to the Docks.

Imagine something like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/St_Michaels_Mount_from_the_Causeway_-_geograph.org.uk_-_167799.jpg

The causeway though continues past the island and towards the docks.

bobthe6th
2013-01-20, 04:22 PM
The source of the compulsion is definitely coming from this way...
Does the gate house have an actual gate on the bridge? If so, he will walk up to it and see if there is anyone to talk to. If there isn't he will just try to cross the bridge.

So much water... This was a proper river. The small stream that fed the town pond was a trickle compared with this. He looked at it with trepidation, but he felt the pull come from across it...

Also, out of curiosity, how wide is the river? Also, how high is the wall?

Monodominant
2013-01-20, 05:53 PM
At this time the gatehouse that is at the start of the causeway is not guarded.

In the distant you do see figures standing just outside the gatehouse that blocks access to the Docks.

At this point the river would be around 100 meters wide (ala Danube in Budapest).

The wall is also of varying height. Its 30 feet high at the dockside.

bobthe6th
2013-01-20, 06:01 PM
It was mostly to see if shadow jaunting across the river was an option.

James starts across the bridge, Stopping when he gets to 40ft from the far shore.

Monodominant
2013-01-21, 05:46 AM
You walk the bridge until you arrive 40 feet away.

From here you can clearly see 6 heavily armed guards just outside the gate that enters the docks. The gate itself is closed but from time to time it is opened for what little traffic there is.

bobthe6th
2013-01-21, 11:53 AM
James tries to finish crossing the bridge and get through the gate.

Monodominant
2013-01-22, 03:09 AM
You reach the gate and the six guards. They all turn towards you as you approach.

Their sergeant addresses you firmly.

"Halt Citizen! This gate leads to the Docks. What business do you have there?"

bobthe6th
2013-01-22, 07:36 AM
James is taken aback by the question... what buisness does he have in the docks?

"I am new come to the city, and wish to see all of it. So I guess my business is exploration."

If that goes as badly as I think it will, James will use cloak of deception, then shadow jaunt up and over the wall, just to the far side. Then as he falls he will catch himself on the wall? he does have a climb speed, so I would think he could. Or he could just tank 3-4d6 damage.

Monodominant
2013-01-22, 07:58 AM
The sergeant frowns.

"Its not that entry is not allowed sir... its that the Docks is a very dangerous area right now. I must strongly advise that you turn back to avoid harm or death... the Guard right now does not maintain a force beyond this point and we cannot be held responsible for your safety if you decide to go forward...

Especially a human like you should really reconsider it..." he says with concern on his voice.

"That said however if you want to go through you may do so... but by Pelor's light make sure you are out before nightfall..." he adds.

bobthe6th
2013-01-22, 09:48 AM
"Thank you for the warning. I will be extreemly careful, but I really must go this way."

James sees if the guard will let him pass
Now to try to use some manuver to stealth through the area... hope that wasn't a hint that going this way will kill him...

Hope jumping from ally to ally and avoiding eye conact will help...

Monodominant
2013-01-22, 09:55 AM
"Very well... just stay out of the shadows!" he says and moves aside.

The other guards do the same avoiding eye contact with you as you walk past them.

bobthe6th
2013-01-22, 12:34 PM
James walks through there ranks, and enters the docs with a strong sense of caution. Somthing had scared the guards... good.

He looks about himself, and tries to figure out a plan to get through the docs...

ok, james isn't scared. On the other hand, I totally am. Near wetting pants level. Hope a 50ft teleport+invisabilaty can pull his ass out of the fire.

Monodominant
2013-01-23, 09:44 AM
At first look the scene in front of you is disappointing considering the way the guards presented it.

The area is somewhat deserted with only few figures in the distance. Houses and stores, some of which have boarded up doors or windows, cover the right side while on the left side you see the piers. Small alleys and side streets like those you saw in Old Town are present here as well and signs of life, like clothes drying between building etc are also visible.

Few ships are actually docked at this time though you do see a rather large river-skiff that is unloading crates under the watchfull eye of captain, crew and 6 men that are blocking the entrance to Pier 5.

bobthe6th
2013-01-23, 04:54 PM
James starts carefully walking down the street, watching all around him for funny movement.

It is always the quiet places that are the most dangerous. He thinks to himself.

Monodominant
2013-01-23, 06:24 PM
You do notice 'funny' movement as some of the figures approach your way.

As they come closer you see 3 well built hobgoblins, armed and armoured though not brandishing their weapons, with blue tattoos of a hand on their chest, coming your way.

bobthe6th
2013-01-23, 07:21 PM
James calmly approaches them, Holding his scythe nonchalantly over one shoulder.

As he approaches them, he calls out genially. "Hello friend, how are you on this fine day? I was just passing through your lovely city, but I must admit I like this street the best. So much character!"

Ok, just checking... would it be legal to ready a standard and swift action as one readied action? The idea would be to shadow jaunt away after using cloak of deception...

How tall are the surounding buildings? Could I get some kind of map of the area, a rogue like map of the street would be perfect.

Monodominant
2013-01-24, 03:57 AM
We try to be slightly more freeform than getting bogged down with maps and the hustle of updating them constantly round by round but since you asked here goes:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8334/8410966802_624043bc3e_b.jpg

Buildings in the docks are mostly 1 story with a few bigger ones (like taverns and some residences) so most are between 15 and 20 feet tall with the occasional 25 footer.

The map I gave is just next to the water, the Docks go 'further in' with various backstreets etc. Also the alleys you see between buildings go further in before meeting other roads.

The hobgoblins dont seem bothered by your scythe, armor or the fact that you approach them.

Getting closer you get the smell of alchohol from the leading hobgoblin as it addresses you. He is battle scarred and seems to intimidate the other two as they stay a few feet behind him at all times.

"'sgood. But it has toll for Blue Hand Clan! You come through here you pay!"

bobthe6th
2013-01-24, 09:08 AM
Thank you... sorry I just expect I will have to figure were and how fast to book it. Other question, are the buildings made with a A shaped roof, a /| shaped roof or a flat roof? Also would spider climb let him stick to such buildings without a balance checks?

"Oh a toll... you would do this to such a poor traveler? So be it, what are your rates?"

James sighs theatrically, waiting for the numbers.

Monodominant
2013-01-24, 09:24 AM
Most roofs are indeed like that. Some (few) are flat. Spider climb would work... balance check would be needed in stressful situations (being shot at or running for example)

"If you so poor why you have armor and scythe?" he asks and his comrades chime in agreeing with him.

"Toll is 50 gold. You give and you can pass!"

bobthe6th
2013-01-24, 10:05 AM
"Well ok, as I guess I have to..."

James seems to reach for his pack to get some gold... whips his scythe down at the leaders legs.

Ok, so I actually looked up the surprise round rules... So does he only get a standard action if he initiates combat? If so, he uses that to make a trip attack on the leader in front of him with his scythe.
touch attack to hit [roll0]
opposed trip attempt(with +4 from improved trip) [roll1]

and if that works, an automatic attack for non lethal damage.
[roll2]
damage [roll3]

Monodominant
2013-01-24, 10:24 AM
They are not expecting combat so they are indeed surprised.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Your blow takes the leader by surprise and you hit his legs before he even has time to understand he is under attack.

However your blow, perhaps due to misjudging his strength, is not enough to make him fall and he manages to stay on his feet and look at you angrily.

"Seize him!" he yells.

Initiative, if you beat 11 you can also go first.

bobthe6th
2013-01-24, 10:38 AM
Sigh, was betting that it wouldn't work... hope he can get out of here without blowing a rage... Ah **** it, rage time.

[roll0]

Monodominant
2013-01-24, 10:51 AM
The leading hobgoblin draws his longsword in a fluid motion and brings it down on you with both hands.

[roll0] - crit confirm [roll1]
damage [roll2] - crit damage [roll3]

The other two move around making sure they dont pass through an area you can hit them as they rush to you and attack you with their weapons

The first one (battleaxe) one handed.

[roll4] - crit confirm [roll5]
damage [roll6] - crit confirm [roll7]

Second one (heavy flail) two handed. Gets flanking bonus.

[roll8] - crit confirm [roll9]
damage [roll10] - crit confirm [roll11]

bobthe6th
2013-01-24, 04:20 PM
James smirks as the blows barley slip past his guard, and his nearly dead flesh deadens the impact.

He Speeds up his movement, and quickly whips of two slashes at the minions.

I think none of those attacks were magic and bludgeoning? if so he only took 16 from all those attacks. DR 2 is very nice right now... definitely worth the dip.

On Jame's turn, he spends free action to enter a whirling frenzy, boosting AC to 20. He then makes two trip attempts, starting with the fail carrying minion and then the other minion if he trips the first one(otherwise he just tries to trip the first one again.)

so:
touch attack 1:[roll0]
opposed str check 1:[roll1]
Free attack 1:[roll2]
Damage 1:[roll3]

touch attack 2:[roll4]
opposed str check 2:[roll5]
Free attack 2:[roll6]
Damage 2:[roll7]

edit:If he gets an attack of opportunity when a tripped opponent stands, use it in preference of the guy using the flail. High damage and High Str is not a nice combination.

Monodominant
2013-01-24, 05:26 PM
The flail is bludgeoning but not magic.

You manage to unbalance the flail wielding hobgoblin and also you strike him just as he falls opening a bloody gash on his chest. He is still alive though and he tries to roll away and then stand up.

5 foot step to move away and then standard action to stand up so he doesnt provoke. He has no further actions though.

You fail though to push the other hobgoblin down perhaps because he expects it, having seen you do it twice, and braces himself.

Your still standing opponents do not stay static. They move around you to recreate the advantage of having you between them and then stike at you.

Basically the leader and the battle-axe wielder move 5 foot step left and right (respectively) to flank you. Only the leader (who moves second) gets the benefit.

Battle axe guy
[roll0] - crit [roll1]
damage [roll2] - crit [roll3]

Leader
[roll4] - crit [roll5]
damage [roll6] - crit [roll7]

Indeed the head hobgoblin manages another blow that bypasses your defenses and armor and hacks at your shoulder. You easily parry against the other one.

bobthe6th
2013-01-24, 05:48 PM
James bleeding from some nasty cuts quickly moves to strike his current target. He quickly slashes again at his legs.
5ft step tp put him adjacent to the flail user. Then full attack to trip him and try to trip the leader(use the second trip on the flail guy if the first try fails.)

rolls:
to hit with trip 1[roll0]
to trip[roll1]
to hit with bonus attack[roll2]
for damage[roll3]
crit[roll4]
for damage[roll5]

to hit with trip 2[roll6]
to trip[roll7]
to hit with bonus attack[roll8]
for damage[roll9]
crit[roll10]
for damage[roll11]

edit:
Ok, I am not all that experienced with D&D combat... how badly is this fight going? Being down to nearly halve HP is not fun... but now his AC should be stopping the majority of their swings. Is it just a string of good rolls, or is James really overmatched?

Monodominant
2013-01-25, 03:31 AM
As a rule I roll openly so you can see their rolls as well... I let the dice fall where they may. Occasionally I will roll hidden rolls but combat is mostly done in the open (though maybe I will just roll the D20s and keep their modifiers to myself).

But I can indeed say I have been lucky with my own rolls and you have been pretty unlucky with yours... meaning that I have been hitting your AC of 20 and you have been missing their AC of 13-15 or failing your trips... still you just downed one.

Thing is you have heard the docks are dangerous and those these guys are not a push over James does not think THEY are what he has been warned against... so if you become too weak you may end up getting killed by something else.

Your first attack is blocked but your rapid second goes through and you drop the flail wielding hobgoblin down. You finish him off with a good blow to the chest.

The leader growls and presses on his attack but this time he cannot maneuver to flank you with his surviving comrade.

Their anger though makes them make predictable mistakes and you deflect both blows. Still they are in a position that next round they will be able to both flank you if you stay stationary.

Battle Axe guy
[roll0] - crit confirm [roll1]
damage [roll2] - crit damage [roll3]

Leader
[roll4] - crit confirm [roll5]
damage [roll6] - crit damage [roll7]

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 03:56 AM
James smirks as he finally starts to whittle down their numbers.

He will 5ft step to were he is next to only the battle axe wielding minion, and lets fly with another flurry of slashes.

ok, so trying to trip the first minion. If that works, just make a normal attack for damage.

trip 1:[roll0]
opposed:[roll1]
free attack:[roll2]
damage:[roll3]
crit:[roll4]
damage:[roll5]

trip 2:[roll6]
opposed:[roll7]
free attack:[roll8]
damage:[roll9]
crit:[roll10]
damage:[roll11]

Well, hopefuly he can steal 30 rounds after combat to heal... James knows that as long as he survives, he can revive... though the fatigue effect will suck so much.

Monodominant
2013-01-25, 04:22 AM
You advance against the hobgoblin and you manage to trip him and slash him. Then as he is struggling to get up from the ground you finish him with a decapitating blow.

The leader seems uncertain for a moment but does not back down. He steps back and draws a small pouch from his neck and blows on it. A whistle like sound comes from it, high pitched and loud.

He then also brings forth a strapped wooden shield from his back and waits for your attack.

5 foot step back,
move equivalent (blow signal whistle)
standard -> draw shield.

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 04:36 AM
James sighs long... this is definitely going to suck.

He quickly rushes his foe, trying to hit him with one solid blow and end the fight before more opponents appear.

forgot the whole "still in rage" issue. this is round 4 of 7 I think?

anyways, James charges his opponent, power attacking 4. He then makes a trip attempt followed by a free attack.

touch to trip[roll0]
opposed trip[roll1]
attack[roll2]
damage[roll3]
crit[roll4]
damage[roll5]

Monodominant
2013-01-25, 04:52 AM
Your attack drops the man to the ground and you almost slice of his head but his shield, still clutched, blocks part of the blow so that he only get a very bad blow but doesnt die.

Slightly confused... are you missing one attack there or did you mean that the charge was the trip attempt?

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 04:57 AM
Oh... I thought he moved out of 5ft step range. my mistake.

here is a spare attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Monodominant
2013-01-25, 05:20 AM
Unfortunately your second attack is blocked by the shield and it fails to penetrate it.

The hobgoblin realises you will strike him if he tries to get up so he instead tries to slash at your feet but only manages to scratch you.

[roll0] - [roll1]
[roll2] - crit [roll3]
Hit but unconfirmed crit.

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 05:28 AM
James quickly strikes at the goblin.

Ok full attack one last time...

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Monodominant
2013-01-25, 05:44 AM
Your first attack manages to hit only because he is on the ground and unable to be fully mobile.

Your second attack breaks his shield in two and impales him to the ground dead.

Its been about 40 seconds since all this started and you are now the only one standing as around you the three hobgoblins are dead or dieing in pools of their own blood.

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 05:51 AM
Sweet, no new random foes have appeared yet.

James lets out a sigh, and stops focusing so much on his speed.

He looks over the bodies for anything valuable, then chucks the bodies into the river.

Monodominant
2013-01-25, 06:16 AM
Ok, for the shake of time keeping I will turn the below that you did into actions.

Tell me if I am mistaken somehow...

3 rounds searching the 3 bodies (moving to them and searching them as standard)

3 rounds tossing them into the water.

You find [roll0] gold and [roll1] silver on the leader. You also find that peculiar whistle on him. His longsword is masterwork and has some kind of bright blue crystal on its pommel that seems magical. Lastly his boots are of the finest quality and magic in nature.

The other two are obviously not as wealthy as he had been and they carry [roll2] gold with them each and [roll3] silver. None of their gear is magical or masterwork.

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 06:22 AM
James checks to see if the crystal detaches, then adds his swag to his pack.

He will start walking along the road healing himself with his necrotic touch carrying his scythe in one hand.

Monodominant
2013-01-25, 06:36 AM
The crystal detaches easily when you push it with your index finger firmly.

You have been walking for less than a minute (7 rounds) when two groups of 4 armed hobgoblins each come running to the promenade.

They immidiatetly look around the area and break into 2 groups of 2 each. The first two heads towards Pier 5 where the group of men are unloading the ship, while another 2 rush towards the blood stained area of your fight.

Another 2 move towards you while the last two bang the door of the nearby store.

You specified you are walking, not running...

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 06:46 AM
James slips the weapon crystal into his pocket.

He keeps walking and healing, ignoring the approaching hobs.

Remember what Dan always said, never run from a fight. Walk away nonchalantly, and people tend not to bother you.

Can I ret con having dumped 4 sun rods with the bodies? I just finished the acounting of his back pack, and a medium load is a pain...

Monodominant
2013-01-25, 07:59 AM
Yes, thats fine.

Whatever Dan might have said he clearly didnt tell it to the hobgoblins. Seeing an armed and armored figure walking away from the area of an obvious attack they pursue. Worst case scenario the 'bystander' might have seen what happened.

You hear their fast approaching heavy footsteps as they run towards you. Not charging, just approaching.

"Halt!" one of them yells.

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 08:21 AM
Well, guess this calls for plan b...

James starts running hard down the street.

So 40ft movement speed x4 for running... should be outdistancing the goblins.

Monodominant
2013-01-25, 09:01 AM
Your casual pace now turns into a full running stride.

The two that were heading your way also start running and they yell as well. The various other groups of two turn to see what is going and prepare to run as well.

You are around 340 feet away from them with your last round of running. How many rounds do you plan to keep running and are you going through any alleys to lose them or you keep on going straight?

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 09:12 AM
lose them? I have FIRE BALLS! Why did I forget that?

James turns, and starts running back at his pursuers. He cackles aboriasly as he remembers his ace in the hole.

Also, did James get any XP for the three hobs?

Monodominant
2013-01-25, 10:35 AM
Yep, sorry forgot about that!

You gain 900 xp for taking out the three man team.

You turn around and head their way. The two hobgoblins also head your way at top speed. Further behind me are other groups of hobgoblins.

they move at 80 feet and you move at 160 which makes the distance 100 feet.

The other groups are at 150, 170 and 240 feet respectively.

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 10:52 AM
Wait... their in medium armor? wow, sucks to be them. any how...

James slows down for a moment, going 20ft forward. He then draws back his huge scythe and prepares for the rushing monsters.

"Come to me little flames, I have enough death for all of you!"

Ready action to trip the first hob goblin to reach Jame's melee reach. PA 2.

to hit[roll0]
to trip[roll1]
free attack[roll2]
damage[roll3]
crit[roll4]
damage[roll5]

Monodominant
2013-01-25, 11:09 AM
These guys are wearing medium armor... the ones you fought before wore light armor (studded leather)

Also... I hope you know what you are doing...

The two hobgoblins advance but they dont just rush you. They approach carefully drawing their weapons.

Meanwhile other hobgoblins also advance, some running some slowing down and you see that the next group draws crossbows.

So just so you have 'ranges' in mind it is as follows.

Group 1: You moved 20, they moved 60 and draw weapons so you are 20 feet away.
Group 2: They move 40 feet and draw crossbows so you are 90 feet away
Group 3: They move 80 feet and draw weapons are 70 feet away
Group 4: They move 80 feet and are 140 feet away

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 11:17 AM
James see they are now armed... and with some ranged capacity aswell... concerning.

He quickly moves back, trying to get at least 10ft into an ally way with a single move. He then casts a spell of dark power, reinvigorating himself.

Cast inflict light wound on self, heal [roll0] damage... hope this is enough...
edit: that was the perfect time for a maximum heal.

Monodominant
2013-01-25, 04:47 PM
You are within reach of an alley that is 10 feet wide and between a one story and a two story building. It is luckily not a dead end but rather exits on a back street, 60 feet down. You manage to get there and cast your spell.

The hobgoblins approach cautiously and the first group enters the mouth of the alley but do not advance to attack you.

You lose sight of other hobgoblins as you enter the alley.

The two hobgoblins are basically blocking the entrance to the alley. You still hear the running and yelling hobgoblins but have no sight of them.

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 05:04 PM
James keeps distance with his foes, heals himself again, and reaches into his pocket for a feather token.
I'll need some fortifications to hold them off...

So, if the foes are adjacent take a 5ft step to avoid aoos. If they are at least 5ft away, he just stand still.

also, inflict minor wounds [roll0]

and yeah, drawing a tree feather token.

Monodominant
2013-01-28, 03:23 AM
You are forced to move 5 feet back to avoid any of your opponents attacking you and you prepare yourself.

The two hobgoblins with the crossbows arrive but they do not come right at the mouth of the alley but rather 20 feet behind their companions and they take aim.

The other 4 hobgoblins are nowhere to be seen.

Listen check

What you find strange is that you are not being attacked by the two hobgoblins. They take a few careful steps forward and seem to be ready for an attack.

Sense motive as well.

bobthe6th
2013-01-28, 03:33 AM
Quick question, do they have the blue mark on their armor? This could decide what James is going to do...
Listen:[roll0]
Sense motive[roll1]

Monodominant
2013-01-28, 03:58 AM
These hobgoblins, better armed and armored, do not only have the mark on their armor but actually have a blue hand tattooed on their faces.

In the stressful moments of combat you cant hear anything additional though you do realise you are no longer hearing the running feet of the other 4 hobgoblins.

You can also tell that the opponents right in front of you are prepared for something.

i.e. they have readied actions.

More importantly, and in a rare moment of clarity, you realise that the 2 hoboglinbs in front of you seem really worried or even scared... and its pretty clear by the situation that it is not you that they are scared off.

Its your turn basically.

bobthe6th
2013-01-28, 04:13 AM
Hmm... running is still not an option as there are witnesses alive. Though it is worrying that a bigger fish is probably around...

Still, on with the semi plan.

James tosses down his token to his side, and steps behind the resulting tree. He then tries to climb 20ft up the tree facing away from his foes.

Monodominant
2013-01-28, 04:28 AM
Just to clarify. The tree from the token has 5 foot diameter so it doesnt... completely block the alley (as it is 10 feet wide).

Also I will need a climb check for your climbing.

bobthe6th
2013-01-28, 04:39 AM
Yah, that is half the problem... but working on it.
Should clarify, he has a climb speed so his base 7+8+ a take ten=25.

Also, can I noticed calling for both a 5ft step and a move... so can he use 5ft of normal movement, then climb 15ft?

Monodominant
2013-01-28, 05:12 AM
Ah yes forgot about the climbing speed!

And yes thats not a problem... unfortunately someone's ready goes before you...

You drop the feather and move to climb the freshly created oak.

The hobgoblins are indeed surprised by this happening as the tree sprouts high and big and you to climb on it. The crossbow holding Hobs fire but miss you and the two bolts bite deep on the three.

Meanwhile the sword wielding ones move to intercept you.

Two things happen at once almost in 'slow' motion.

From the shadows cast by the building to the right, a pair of hairless, gray-skinned creatures naked save for a dirty loincloth close in to the hobgoblins from behind and stab them with wicked looking daggers dropping one and wounding the other badly. The hobgoblin gives a cry of fear as he turns to face them.

You have little time to think about the hobs though as when you have just reached 20 feet up the tree you feel a hot burning sensation from your back as a dagger thrown from the darkness shed by the tree you have just created buries deep inside you. Another dagger hits a branch to your left missing you for less than 3 inches.

You suffer a total of [roll0] + [roll1] sneak + [roll2] from humanbane ((DR applies))

bobthe6th
2013-01-28, 11:36 AM
James curses at the wound. damn, how could I forget about the guards warning... now to drive out the shadows.

He quickly draws a iron rod from his back, and strikes the golden tip against the nearby building. The rod springs into golden light, shedding radiance in a wide circle. James quickly drops the rod, to free up his fighting hand.

Draw sun rod, strike sunrod, free action drop it. Should catch guy who got James as SA doesn't reach farther then 30ft...

Monodominant
2013-01-28, 05:15 PM
Out of curiosity does sunrod burn someone holding it? Cause what stops them from taking it and tossing it away or even putting it in a bag?

bobthe6th
2013-01-28, 05:19 PM
It dosn't say... So their probably isn't, except spending an entier round to do it. Though I could see argument that as the item is alchemical, therefore nonmagical, it must produce some heat... I would be fine either way. Having no SA for a full round is a fine use of a turn, especially if the hobs get to shoot the bastards to hell for a round as it happens.

Though... unless the bag is really think, the fact the rod is glowing that bright should leak through.

Monodominant
2013-01-29, 04:29 AM
I will rule that touching it causes 1 hp damage (which is as much as the splash damage from alchemist fire on surrounding squares).

The creature below you does not seem bothered or scared by the light. With ease it picks it up, though its features distort from the burn and throws it away towards the hobgoblins outside the alley. It then uses the lower branches of the tree as cover and disappears in the shadows.

Meanwhile the two other pale skinned humanoids gang up on the surviving hobgoblin in melee and bring it down with savage blows. The two crossbowmen fire bolts at those two, wounding the left one on the shoulder, and then run away! The two pale skinned humanoids slink towards the other side of the tree and disappear from your sight...

bobthe6th
2013-01-29, 08:19 AM
James smiles as some of his foes meet an untimely demise... then quickly tries to fry his foes. He climbs 20ft further up teh tree, then pulls one of the beads from his necklace and throws it at the base of the tree.

20ft radius fire ball, [roll0] DC 14 for half.

Monodominant
2013-01-29, 08:30 AM
You fired a fireball at a tree against foes with evasion?

The bead erupts in fire and you see one of the almost naked humanoids jump out yelling as the fire hits it.

There is no other sign of having hit them...

There are signs of the tree, or rather small branches so far, catching on fire from the flames though not right away due to the instanteous effect.

Nothing else happens this round.

bobthe6th
2013-01-29, 10:47 PM
Now to burn out the monsters...

James hops to a nearby roof
the one farthest from the tree. If it is a 35ft building he just jumps, otherwise he will climb down to be level with it then jump across the gap. Either way, I think it is one move action?

Jump check:[roll0] DC10?

Then quickly pitches another fire ball at the trees base.
another 2d6 fire ball... hope this gets at least one.
[roll1]

Monodominant
2013-01-30, 03:42 AM
You manage to jump easily to the roof of the building accross.

You drop the small bead that turns once more to a flaming ball and explodes at the base of the tree.

Noone comes out screaming this time but that does not mean they are not harmed by the flames.

The alley below is now deadly silent and from up here in the roof you can see the Slums clearer... two buildings seem be rise above the rest in that part of the city, a large glass building and another that looks like a multiple story inn.

From the distance you also here another whistle blow.

bobthe6th
2013-01-31, 07:59 AM
How high is the roof he's on?

Monodominant
2013-01-31, 08:37 AM
The roof you are standing on is 31 feet, the one across you, on the other side of the alley is 25 feet.

bobthe6th
2013-01-31, 05:35 PM
James focuses, and heals himself again.
Then he will chance fate and jump down from the roof, hoping that the fall won't do more damage then being around for an extra few seconds.

First, cast inflict light wounds...
[roll0] been using this alot... that 2 level dip was so worth it.

Ok, so going to try a jump check to jump down from the roof... here's hoping...
jump:[roll1]
fall damage: [roll2]

Monodominant
2013-01-31, 06:05 PM
Jump check means you suffer 1d6 less... so 10hp of damage.

You first close some of the wounds that the last attacks have caused and then jump of the roof reopening some of them and cause a shudder of force to go through you.

There is still no sight of the pale grey humanoids that attack you but with some surprise you notice the two daggers that had been thrown at you are gone.

bobthe6th
2013-01-31, 06:18 PM
If the hobgoblin bodies are still there, James will quickly strip them for gold or expensive looking equipment, then he will start jogging back the way he came. If he ever has a moment, he will heal himself one more time, but only if it dosn't interfear with getting away as quickly as possible.

Monodominant
2013-02-01, 06:30 AM
You search the first body and retrieve a magical sword and [roll0] gold coins.

You are leaning over the second hobgoblin body when you feel the burning hot sensation from your kidney as a dagger plunges in your sides held by one of those horrible grey humanoids. Now that you are closer you can see it has pale blue eyes without irises and a manic grin on its face. Its also the one you hit with your fireball judging from the burned skin it has.

You suffer [roll1] + [roll2] sneak + [roll3] bane damage.

Another knife hits you from the front, near the heart, but is stopped by your armor and doesnt penetrate your skin.

"Stupid dominari, thought you could get out that easily?"

bobthe6th
2013-02-01, 07:50 AM
yeah, the gold ain't worth it...

James quickly turns invisable and starts running for the doks gate.

Monodominant
2013-02-01, 08:02 AM
Dont have access to your sheet right now, how do you turn invisible? Is it a spell/magic item or...?

bobthe6th
2013-02-01, 08:13 AM
ah sorry, that was from my phone. cloak of disception manuver. extrordinary greater invisabilaty until the end of his turn.

Monodominant
2013-02-01, 08:23 AM
I am a bit rusty on my ToB... I recall that normally maneuvers do not provoke attacks of opportunity but I am not sure about abilities like that.

Regardless you get AoO while moving through threatened areas as they knew where you were and also hear you running away, albeit with miss chance

creature 1
[roll0]
miss chance [roll1] 51+ is a hit
[roll2] + [roll3] sneak + [roll4] humanbane

creature 2
[roll5]
miss chance [roll6] 51+ is a hit
[roll7] + [roll8] sneak + [roll9] humanbane

Edit: Actually disregard the sneak... you are invisible hence no visible anatomy.

You turn invisible and are ready to spring forth and escape your attackers.

Unfortunately they both take passing swipes at your previous position and both manage to luckily wound you. Their usually more precise blows do not find your more vulnurable body parts this time though and you only suffer wounds from the cuts and from the magic on the blades that seem particularly nasty to humans.

You suffer a total of 17 points of damage as you run away (21 - 4 for the DR)

You exit back on the main street and your improved speed carries you forward. You do not hear anyone following you but by now you take a good look at every alley and shadow patch knowing what may lurk there. No hobgoblins are on your path fortunately.

You need 2 rounds of running to reach the gate...

bobthe6th
2013-02-01, 08:34 AM
didn't the 2nd one miss due to his 18 AC(10+6 armor+2DEX)?

James will just flat out run to the gate.

Monodominant
2013-02-01, 08:52 AM
They are not at +0 to attack... the bane alone is +2 on the base roll.

You are closer and closer to the gate as you sprint towards it.

To your left and 30 feet ahead you notice a sewer grate opening at the mouth of an alley...

bobthe6th
2013-02-01, 09:07 AM
James will keep running to the gate... if the gate is closed, he will shadow jaunt to the top and spider climb down the other side.

Monodominant
2013-02-01, 04:44 PM
The gate is in fact open as the merchant has just entered.

You think for a second that you see movement from the sewer entrance side but despite looking you cant discern something out of the ordinary.

You make it to the gate just as the guards are preparing to close it. Their sergeant rises an eyebrow seeing the wounds you have taken.

"I did tell you, didnt I?" he says with a tone that combines seriousness and mirth.

bobthe6th
2013-02-01, 04:55 PM
James stops to breath, and starts healing himself with charnel touch.
Between gasps he says.
"Yes, you did... and I am glad to be alive right now. Damn... I have fought in wars less insane then that mess. What are those gray skinned creatures? Their blades felt like they were filled with hatred...

Honestly though, has their been a concerted attempt to clear out the area? Even to fight the things in the shadows?"

Just updated his HP... he was down to 1. Holy **** that was close. DR+ILW for the win!

Just to ask, what was the CR for that encounter? Or even the rogue/soul knife skulks(my best guess at the moment.)?

Last but not least... any XP for escaping the docks/that encounter? I mean, James spent most of it missing/running away, but still... he survived.

Monodominant
2013-02-03, 09:44 AM
The guard stiffens up as you mentioned concentrated effort.

"Well... all this started when the hobgoblins decided to 'invade' the docks and take over from the skulks. The skulks had been involved in a gang warfare attack that destroyed the Jacks, the formerly most powerful crime gang in the city.

As things became tense the ArchDuke hired mercenaries to pacify both parties... the mercenaries were cut down and ousted from skulks and hobgoblins... though they didnt work together each group had its own resources.

Thankfully we have been asked not to interfere until skulks and hobgoblins drain each other of their manpower and resources so we sweep them both."

Lets say you gain 450 xp for 'experience' as a whole... you did get the XP for the hobs you defeated on your own... the hobs vs skulks defeated each other with little participation from your side towards the combat result...

And no I wont tell you the CR of the encounter... but as mentioned multiple times in the OOC and recruitment thread noone said CRs are tailored to the PC... they are tailored to the area...

bobthe6th
2013-02-03, 11:18 AM
James looks shocked at the explanation. They just abandon a section of the city to the gangs so easily...
"Does anyone still live in there then? It took me all of a minute to get into a fight with both groups, and I doubt others would do better."

Can I just assume James has had the 50 rounds he needs to fully heal? Also, I was mostly curious to know the CR to see how outclassed he was in that last fight.
I was mostly wondering if escaping 6 hobs and 3 skulks counted for any XP... but I will take the 450 and be happy. just 4650XP to level.

Monodominant
2013-02-03, 11:34 AM
"You are armed, armored and I guess if you messed with the hobgoblins you did not comply." the sergeant says matter of factly.

"The docks are unsafe at night and dark corners are unsafe for humans during the day... well mostly humans anyway. But if you mouth off to the hobs you are also in danger. There are still establishments and some shops running in the docks but they either pay protection money to the hobs or keep their heads down.

There is a new group masquareding as a guard force called Extra City watch but we believe they are thugs as well...

The other option is to have a group of guards of your own which is what most transportation companies are doing nowdays... anyway, this thing will blow over soon and no more guardlives need be lost. We are understaff as it is anyway!" he gripes.

You are out of combat so you can heal fully... Are you doing it right in front of them though?

bobthe6th
2013-02-03, 01:50 PM
"Ain't that always the way of it... Actually, is the guard recruiting? I figure I might be spending some time in the city, and fighting is the only thing I really know..."

James tries to look somwhat martial and impressive as he says this, but the effect is ruind by the fact he still has a hand shoved under his breastplate.

Yes(James like having multiple HP), but he is doing it semi covertly, with a hand shoved under his breastplate.

Monodominant
2013-02-04, 02:47 AM
Given the rarity of your ability none of the guards seem to realise what you are doing as you restore yourself.

The sergeant nods and this time gives you a sincere smile.

"Yes. The guard is pretty much always recruiting... its not just about fighting though... head over to the Fortress and indicate your interest to join and they will short you out!"

bobthe6th
2013-02-05, 06:19 PM
James pauses for a moment and recenters himself. Then he nods chearaly to the captain.
"Thank you. By the way do you know how vengeful the gangs tend to be? Might be good to know if they have a eye for an eye view of justice."

Whatever the answer, James thanks him, and nods good by as he heads for the fortress.

Recover manuvers. Also, sorry for not posting for a bit... I was uncertain what to do. Stop for a night to refresh spell slots/rage? Press on with the chance of joining the guard? Guess he might as well find out what his options are...

Monodominant
2013-02-06, 03:42 PM
"The skulks hate humans... I dont think you can become more offensive to them by doing anything more than existing though I guess if you aggravate them enough they might try to hunt you down...

The hobs are not as insane so I doubt they would come to the city proper to get you... still keep an eye out if you ever head to the Docks or Slums... slums especially is where their leader, Khan Drogo, has the most power..." explains the sergeant in charge of the group at the gate.

They greet you as you depart towards the Fortress.

A few minutes later you stand before the gate of the Fortress and are standing in front of a corporal.

"Good day sir. Whats your business in the Fortress? Come to hunt beavers?" he asks.

bobthe6th
2013-02-06, 04:06 PM
James puts on a genuine smile, thinking for a moment of killing some animals.
"Good day to yourself, Sir. I was looking at joining the guard, but beavers do sound intriguing. Though the first issue first, I was directed here by the Docks gate guard to inquier here about possible employment as a part of the guard."

Monodominant
2013-02-07, 04:27 PM
He rises an eyebrow but then shrugs.

"Most people who talk with the guardsmen down there tend to have the opposite reaction..." he comments as he waves you through.

"Look for Sergeant Nerets. He is in charge of recruitement and you can find him at the large drum tower to the east." he explains

bobthe6th
2013-02-07, 04:40 PM
"Figure the guard is an honest living at the least..." He nods polity to the man as he passes through.

James makes a educated guess at which way is east, and starts looking for the supposed drum tower.

Monodominant
2013-02-07, 05:02 PM
You find the place and know you have the right one as there is a steady stream of younger guardsmen in and out.

After asking you are shown into a small cramped office full of dossiers and an aged dwarf in battered grey gold armor.

He looks up as you walk inside and rises an eyebrow at the scythe.

"I dont think its my time yet Mr Death..."

bobthe6th
2013-02-07, 05:42 PM
"Many a man has said that, and the majority tends to be right. But I fear my blade has been used far to often for harvesting grain rather then lives. I hear you are the man to talk to about entering the guard? I am newcome to your fine city, and lacking any talents outside of those I picked up as a castle guard for my lord... I have few other honest options."

James smirks at his own wise crack, then puts on a more serious face as he asks the man about a job.

Monodominant
2013-02-08, 02:24 AM
He looks at you up and down and nods.

"Fair enough... do you know how to read and right? If yes please fill this form.

There is a four week training course where we take you through the laws of Aldhaven and the standard Guard procedures along with weapon training though I doubt you will need much of that since you seem experienced enough." he tells you as he hands you a simple one page document.

"Pay is not great, hours are long but at least you know you get to do whats best for the city and we have right of conquest on anything not stolen and not vital for a case.

After your four week training you are assigned to a precinct in the city and you start working there.

Given your previous experience, though this WILL be assessed, you will probably start as a corporal."

bobthe6th
2013-02-08, 07:59 AM
James starts reading through the form, and requests a pen to start filling it out.
"Is their any pay during the training period. Either way, does the guard provide barracks or should I go looking for long term housing? If so, can you direct me to some."

Monodominant
2013-02-08, 08:31 AM
You are given a quill pen and inkwell.

The form asks about your information basically. Name, family name, age, gender, race etc as well as some background information on experience, history of medical issues and past employment.

"While you are a recruit you get paid 3 silver a day. This goes up to 6 silver a day for a private... a corporal gets a gold and a half a day.

This is on top of food and board which are provided. In most precincts there is a barracks, as there is here, where you can stay. As quite a few folk live in the city there is always room in the barracks these days. Generally many stores will also give discounts for Guardsmen and all precincts have a Quartermaster that can procure magic items, weapons and armor at reduced cost.

You also get given armor and weapons though I see you are covered there. The guard also has affiliated clerics that can provide healing and general healthcare for Guardsmen and in case of your death we take on the funeral charges" he says quite sternly.

"Oh and off course Guardsmen that want to become citizens get fast tracked through the procedure and both witnesses required tend to be your commanding officer and direct superior.

Lastly you have 7 days free a month that you can do whatever you wish."

bobthe6th
2013-02-08, 09:10 AM
"Those terms seem aminable."
James fills out the forms, including a mildly censored version of his service to his lord, failing to mention that he was a necromancer. In the medical section he mentions his positive energy alergy.

After he finishes, he hands the form back to the sargent

You want a more then that? I would be willing to fill out an actual form if you want.

Monodominant
2013-02-08, 09:33 AM
Nop, not needed :D

The dwarf looks it over nodding at parts and looks up when he is done.

"You are not an undead critter are ya? Only this allergy you mention here tends to be common among the living dead and its not something we tend to accept in the city..."

bobthe6th
2013-02-08, 10:01 AM
"Nope, I yet live. The alergy is from long term exposure as I grew up... we have had some undead problems for generatins. I mostly mention it as I have nearly died a few times when people tried to heal me. Luckly I can heal myself to a degree."

Monodominant
2013-02-09, 07:52 AM
"Interesting to know. You realise that as part of the background check and given this very strange alergy you will have to pass a small interview with one of our clerics to make sure that is the case...

Intelligent undead are banned from the city and so is the creation of mindless ones... it is in fact a capital offence..." he explains and looks at you carefully to see your reaction.

bobthe6th
2013-02-09, 12:20 PM
James nods at the law. "It would make sense to ban a lot of the undead, as they tend to be insane and fairly destructive. I continue to have never died, so I should be ok. I do request that the interview be performed by a cleric of any god beside Palor... I have a standing enmity with the church."

Monodominant
2013-02-10, 11:23 AM
"That could potentially be an issue as the strongest Church in the city is that of the Lightbringer and they are generally tasked with sending acolytes to support the guards healing needs. Still there are a couple of priests of Helm that work with us so we can arrange it.

Is there a reason you and the Pelorites have enmity?"

bobthe6th
2013-02-10, 12:09 PM
"Most of it is without proof, and half the reason I came to the city is to find out if my suspicions were correct. The accusations as of now would be supported solely by my own account, and by the interpretation of the aftermath of a siege. Still I feel certain enough not to trust any one Palorian cleric with my examination. Don't worry though, the enmity would not extend to my work."

Here's hoping that the guard won't string him up for this...
Just to ask, is the whole "Palor is a arch-devil" thing going to be a viable character goal? I can also just play it as a misunderstanding, but it was kinda the plan with this character...

Monodominant
2013-02-10, 08:59 PM
Your PC can have whatever suspisions he wishes to have... what is the truth for the setting is not relevant since you dont have a way of knowing...

"I guess we will have to see. Anyway, if you are done with this document report to the main building in the Fortress with this slip. They will handle you from there."

bobthe6th
2013-02-10, 09:15 PM
James takes the slip after thanking the dwarf. He then goes to find the "main building."

Monodominant
2013-02-12, 08:32 AM
You have passed by that building and now that you head there you go through big, reinforced double doors. Inside there are guardsmen as well as civilians going about their business to different offices and functions.

There is a general hubub from further inside and you catch a glimpse of a canteen as guardsmen walk out carrying food.

Without much difficulty you find an officer that seems to be talking to two other recruits, judging by the slips of paper similar to yours.

"Oh! It seems we have another late joiner. Step up son!" speaks the junior officer.

"First thing first, we shall outfit you and assign you a CO and give you beds in the barracks here for the duration of the training!" he continues happily.

Question from my side...

Do you want to fully RP your training or just go through a few of the main points and I can narrate the time faster?

bobthe6th
2013-02-12, 10:11 AM
Feel free to just speed through, though I would be intrested to go through the combat training as my expirience with D&D combat has been really vague. Also a synopsis of Aldhaven law would be awsome. Beyond those point I would be happy with you narating through it.

James mutters some vague platitudes and joins the group.

Monodominant
2013-02-14, 08:44 AM
You pass from a series of rooms and given a standard uniform, which comprises of a cape and tunic with the guard coat of arms, chainmail armor and helmet, a spear,a longsword, a mace and a large steel shield. You are also given a lantern, a whistle and a signet ring indicating your rank and name.

If you wish to keep your own weapon and armor you may do so but you are required to have them inspected by the Guard armorsmith and weaponsmith to ensure they are within regulations.

The group then splits and each of you are sent to different waiting rooms. You have been in such a room for the past half hour along with two more young men waiting on a bench on their own. They seem pleased with themselves but for now they stay quiet as you join them.

Approximately 10 minutes later a young woman also joins your group and you see one of the other two raise an eyebrow. Finally 25 minutes later, a young tiefling boy of no more than 18 years of age also joins giving polite nods to all of you.

You have scarcely gotten time to get bored of waiting more when a middle aged dwarf wih greying hair turns around the corner and looks at all of you.

"GET UP MAGGOTS! YOU THINK LOUNGING IN A BENCH LOITERING IS WHAT BEING IN THE GUARD IS ALL ABOUT?" he screams at the top of his voice sending the girl and the tiefling on their feet in a split second. The other two men slowly rise at attention.

"YOU! WHATS YOUR NAME!" he yells and points a finger at you.

bobthe6th
2013-02-14, 05:22 PM
It feels like a few weeks just got compressed to one post. most grateful.

Can have passed his own equipment passed the armorers? His breast plate is chain but better, he has a magic longsword from that one hob, his scythe is so much more baddass then a non magical spear. The shield is nice to work with the long sword... though he will as for a flail, as it is cheaper and better for what he does.

James snaps to attention, and barks back.
"SIR, JAMES DARK-CHILD, SIR!"
Inside James sighs at having to go through this again... steady employment is worth more then a few weeks of irritation. Still he boils with rage inside at this man and the system he represents. Knowing that if you die the lord would just animate you as part of the legion served as a much better, more natural way to breed humility.

Monodominant
2013-02-15, 05:02 AM
Your weapons and armor pass the check but they are marked with a magical mark.

"Just a formality to indicate that these were a guardsmans gear... easier to track if someone tries to sell them after killing you or stealing them" he says and sends you on your way.

-=-

The Corporal nods in appreciation of your quick manner and proper response and turns his inquisitive look at the two others.

"And you LADIES? You think you can ease up when an Officer approaches? I will break your legs next time it takes you more than two seconds to get to your feet and snap a salute!" he calls out.

You see that one of them indeed snaps to attention while the others gets an annoyed look and looks at the dwarf with some disdain.

"So! Call out your names! Dark-Child here has already gifted us with his pretty name. How about you boy?" he asks the Tiefling.

"Nathan Sir! No last name Sir! Just Nathan Sir!" the youth calls out. The dwarf raises an eyebrow and moves his gaze down the line.

"Surini Sir! Karin Surini!" she calls out also standing to attention.

"Giacomo Sir!" calls out the man that was scolded and snapped to attention.

"Erik, Erik von Styrm" says the last on the line with perhaps a bit too much satisfaction.

For just a second the dwarf seems taken aback but he rallies quickly.

"Very well then Maggots. I am Corporal Ulf Reyson but you can call me God. For the next four weeks, five for those of you who will be given a corporals stripe, we will work together. I demand of you nothing less than a dogs obedience and determination... if all goes well you will all get your accepted and end up being proud members of the City Guard" he says loudly and he turns to move out.

"Now follow me! I will take you to your barracks. Pay attention that you will be in the same room as older members of the Guard. You ARE NOT to interact or fraternize with them. Older recruits tend to play games with new fishes like yourselves and though not official Seniority is automatically considered to give precedence..."

You do indeed after a couple of minutes arrive in a large spacious room. Dozens of bunk beds are set about each made from fine wood and with a decent mattress and beddings. There are two small chests set at the bottom of each bed.

"Today there is nothing more. Take some time to get to know each other, follow the crowd to the mess hall when you see them leaving and select empty beds next to each other. Back there..." he says and points towards the eastern corner of the room "...there are usually free beds since in the winter the fireplace doesnt reach and people freeze. But you should be okay for the next couple of months... Stay together and learn to trust each other, you are all you have. I will be back on first light so that we start your training. ANY QUESTIONS?" he screams as he finishes.

bobthe6th
2013-02-15, 09:14 AM
"SIR NO SIR!" James yells back with equal volume.

He turns and takes an empty bottem bunk, opening the chest and dumping his overful pack into it. He turns to the group with a thin smile, "So as you all know by now, I'm James Dark-Child, former servant of Robert the IV and resident of the Village in the Dell. Care to give me more then a name to remeber you by?"

Monodominant
2013-02-18, 04:10 AM
Nathan and Surini are both from the city. They actually know each other as they grew up in the same neighbourhood in Old Town and decided to join the guard in an effort to avoid poverty.

Giacomo is from Brunsgrove one of the City States allied with Aldhaven. He says he actually came to the city a few days ago with the express purpose of joining the Guard.

Erik is not as open as the others. When his turn comes to share he looks at all of you with some distate and simply says "I come from the Noble's Quarter" and then starts unpacking his things having already chosen one of the few single beds.

Nathan and Surini end up picking one of the bunk beds and you end up with Giacomo. He happily takes the top bed and unpacks his things.

bobthe6th
2013-02-18, 10:58 AM
James empties out a large portion of his back into the chest, then puts the pack in on top of the other things. He drops of his bed roll, the masterwork longsword, 107 gold pieces, 75 silver pieces, and 80 copper pieces.

James futzes with his equipment, shifting the enchanted sword to his side and sticking the blue gem to its hilt, the shield to his back, the heavy mace or flail(which is it?) to his side with the sword. He lightly draws the sword to see if the blue gem does what he thinks it does, and to see if he can guess the enchantment on it.

The he will put everything away except for his scythe, and sit on the bunk.

See sheet for the new version of his stuff formation.

Monodominant
2013-02-27, 04:18 PM
The heavy flail hangs next to the sword but in a tense moment it might cause you trouble wielding so many weapons.

As for the crystal you realise it somehow makes drawing the sword faster and effortless.

Basically gives Quick Draw for that weapon

You cant tell what the enchantment on it is though just by looking at it.

Sitting on bunk bed you get to see the various goings on arround you. The barracks is fairly busy with guardsmen coming and going, chatting and arguing. You and the rest of the new recruits receive a few welcome and a few mocking comments but nothing much.

You are eventually called to the dining hall and dinner is served. There is a weird silence as if everyone is focused in eating quickly and getting out of there and under the watchfull eye of your Corporal your group does the same.

After the meal you are returned to the barracks where the others go to bed quickly to get what sleep they can until the early wake up call. Erik is the exception to this as he leaves the room a few minutes before lights out.

bobthe6th
2013-02-27, 05:28 PM
James has had a long day of nearly dying by hobgoblin and skulk. He falls asleep hard, trying to get some rest for the long day ahead. The fact the pretentious prick is out of the room makes it all the more comfortable. He rolls over the people that are going to be with him for a long time to come.

Nathan and Surini would probably shape up well, but starting from the beginning would make them a liability for some time. Giacomo was odd... James did not entirely trust his story, but he seemed likable enough. Erik was going to be an issue... The corpral was going to break him, which was going to be painful to watch. Still all in time...

yay your back! also, still playing with weights to keep under his light load... fun.

Monodominant
2013-02-27, 06:43 PM
The next few days pass quickly.

You wake up every day at six just before first light and are taken to the mess hall where you and three dozen other Guardsmen are eating breakfast. You are then taken to the training grounds in the inner courtyards of the Fortress and pass through physical training for many hours. In the afternoon you are taken to a large amphitheater where you are taught Aldhaven law as well as how to do your job properly as Guardsman.

Though the indoctrination creates a sense of belonging to all of the new recruits it is not as if you are brain washed. There are frequent pranks between groups of recruits but nothing too malicious or hurtful.

The first three weeks pass and you are given a provisionary Corporals stripe. You realise quickly that this is merely a formality since more than 80% of corporals in the ranks are senior to you and hence officers defer to them and expect you to follow orders.

As part of your final week you are given two distinct tasks to complete. A small investigation and a mock battle. The mock battle takes part in a large auditorium where 12 recruits are gathered in the circle and a sergeant is giving directions. The man fighting against the recruits is a scared, tall man with a wiry built and shaven hair. He beats man after man and woman after woman until you turn comes.

"Dark-Child! Get in there and show us what you know already!" your corporal yells at you.

bobthe6th
2013-02-27, 07:31 PM
James smirks as he steps into the arena, twirling his long scythe. He gives a respectful bow to his opponent, before dropping into a defensive stance with his scythe held ready to strike. Lets see if I can show off a little

James enters the arena with scythe in hand. He readies an action to trip his opponent if he comes into reach.
initiative roll: [roll0]

from seeing the champ fight, does James have any insight into his fighting style? what is he wielding/wearing?

Monodominant
2013-02-28, 04:48 AM
The fighter before you seems to have been fighting with a variety of different styles and techniques. Mostly he has used bludgeoning weapons or his own two hands and brawling.

When you step in the middle of the room and draw your scythe, one of the officers supervising steps up and casts a quick enchantment on it.

"It shall only deal non lethal now" he explains.

bobthe6th
2013-02-28, 08:26 AM
James thanks the caster, and returns to his defensive stance. He waits for his foe to make a move.

Monodominant
2013-03-03, 05:24 PM
Your opponent continues studying you. He moves around in a slow, wide circle as he does so.

bobthe6th
2013-03-03, 08:07 PM
James moves sideways, and figures to take the edge off his foes blows. He points his hand and barks a word in abysal, a crackling ray of negative energy leaps from his outstretched finger at his foes chest.

Move in the same circle, and cast ray of enfeeblement.
Touch attack to hit: [roll0]
Strength penalty: [roll1]

Monodominant
2013-03-05, 04:22 PM
You hit your opponent and he frowns.

He whispers a very soft word as he puts his hand in his pocket and the room grows warmer... he then charges towards you trying to grapple you to the ground.

Spellcraft for the spell he cast
He made his touch attack, give me an opposed grapple check.

bobthe6th
2013-03-05, 05:35 PM
[roll0] spell craft not that it will work.
[roll1] opposed grapple. Also, I am fine with you just rolling for opposed checks... if that speeds up the game.
now waiting on the result.

Monodominant
2013-03-06, 04:50 PM
Surprisingly and despite the fact that it is actually a sort prayer than use of arcanic might you recognise the incantation and the effects. It is a plea to his god (knowledge religion for more on this) to infuse him with Divine might! Furthermore by expending part of his ability to influence the world via positive energy he completed the spell in a quickened manner allowing him to act further!

Unfortunately for you, this gives him enough of an edge to grapple you to the ground succesfully.

Your turn, you are grappled.

bobthe6th
2013-03-06, 06:00 PM
Ok... not sure how to calculate this, so going to make some guesses.
James plan is to initiate cloak of deception, then use shadow jaunt to go 50ft straight up, and drop on his foe. James weighs 264lb with his full kit, and is dropping 50ft.

The SRD is confusing, but i think it means he does 2d6 for weighing over 200lb, and 4d6 extra damage for falling 50ft total. so 6d6? I assume he take full falling damage, but does he get some off for falling on a person?

Will finish the turn after this insane manuver is over.

attack roll for droping self on target?:[roll0]
damage to foe for falling on him: [roll1]
damage to self from falling: [roll2]

This is full of lies. Shadow jaunt out of grasp, and take a move action away. how big is the arena? 90ft of breathing room would be nice...

Monodominant
2013-03-11, 03:28 AM
The room itself is pretty big, 70 by 70, but the circle of trainees is much smaller as they have sat around the mat where the fights are happening... that circle is more or less 30 by 30...

So do you move outside the circle of students?

bobthe6th
2013-03-11, 04:24 PM
He'll shadow jaunt just out of the grapple, 5ft back. He will then drop into a whirling frenzy. He has nothing to do with his move action...

Monodominant
2013-03-12, 06:10 AM
Taking advantage of the fact that you do not press on with an attack and realising you are more talented than most of the other recruits he takes his time.

With a flourish of his hands he brings forth a small parchment which he reads. Its in a language you dont recognize but you can tell its some form of prayer or litany. (spellcraft to recognise the spell)

As soon as the short recital is done you feel a certain weakness overcome you while your opponent seems rejuvenated.

You suffer -2 on attack rolls and saving throws for the next rounds. I will let you know when the effect goes away.

Your opponent then takes a 5 foot step back, increasing the distance between you to 10 feet.

bobthe6th
2013-03-12, 03:20 PM
James would rather not get charged, so he takes a quick step forward. He also would like to keep his tricks, he refocuses his skills.

Take a 5ft step towards his foe, and focus as a full round action to regain manuvers.

Spell craft [roll0]
Knowledge religion [roll1]

Monodominant
2013-03-13, 05:59 AM
You cannot tell what incantation your opponent casts but from the further divine signs you recognize that he is a cleric dedicated to Saint Cuthbert of the Cudgel the combative deity of Wisdom, Dedication and Zeal.

Embolden by what he perceives as hesitation the man moves towards you even though he doesnt have to charge you. Indeed his arms, powered by the divine power from earlier but also embolden by his latest incantation, close around you in a vicious bear-hug.

Opposed grapple check (you need to beat 21)

If you fail roll once more (you need to beat 17)

If you fail the second you also suffer [roll0] point of subdual damage. DR applies

It is then your turn

bobthe6th
2013-03-13, 07:25 AM
Well lets see if james gets a turn...

[roll1]
Sweet, he beats both.

James easily dodges both hug attempt. He figures he might as well try to win now, and enters a whirling frenzy. He takes a pair of slashes at his opponent's legs with his scythe.

touch attack: [roll]1d20+8
opposed trip: 1d20+8
Free attack: 1d20+8
Damage: 2d4+7
touch attack: 1d20+8
opposed trip: 1d20+8
Free attack: 1d20+8
Damage: 2d4+7

bobthe6th
2013-03-13, 07:32 AM
rolls
touch attack: [roll0]
opposed trip: [roll1]
Free attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
touch attack: [roll4]
opposed trip: [roll5]
Free attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

Monodominant
2013-03-13, 07:49 AM
Remember the -2 to attack and saves from what he cast on you. You still hit with the second and miss with the first regardless.

Your first attack misses as he proves too agile for your blow.

Your second one hits and actually manages to drop him to the ground. You follow with your blow and nick him on the chest as he tries to roll away. Red blood stains the floor and the other students gasp.

Your opponent though seems unphased. Instead he smiles and jumps to his feet with a fluid motion denying you any chance for a blow.

Instead he rises very close to you and within the wide arc of your scythe.

His hands flare up now that he stops trying to grapple you and instead tries to harm you notice that there is some residual flare of magic there.

He delivers two strikes that bypass your armor as if guided by the essence of an unseen force and deliver painful blows against you!

Your touch AC is 14 now correct? +2 dex and +2 dodge from frenzy.

His blows do [roll0] and [roll1] and are lethal instead of subdual since you attacked also with lethal.

bobthe6th
2013-03-13, 08:55 AM
wait, I though the scythe was warded and all that... to deal nonlethal.
Also he got a +4 to dex in frenzy, so AC=10+4(dex)+2(dodge)=16.

You mind rolling for me? On my phone, and rolling is a pain... the template is in the first of the above two posts. Thanks!

James sidesteps the strikes, and shifts his footing to tske another pair of strike at his foe.

Monodominant
2013-03-14, 05:10 AM
Whirlind frenzy gives +4 strength, +2 dodge ac and a second attack (but all attacks at -2). Where are you getting the dex from? Regardless +4dex would give +2 ac not +4.

Still even more regardless he hits touch ac 16 with his 2 blows... without wanting to scare you with the spells he cast he currently has +14 to hit...

And yes you are right about the non lethal part... I forgot that! So, scrap that part... his blows are also subdual!

So for your action are you trying to trip him or just attack after all?

bobthe6th
2013-03-14, 07:10 AM
Apparenly I am to tired for this.
So yeah, a pair of hits, 14 AC, and James will start swinging.

Monodominant
2013-03-15, 04:46 AM
He easily sidesteps your first swing as if he knew it was coming.

Your second attack though sweeps his legs from under him and forces him to fall to the floor but at the same time he rolls away from the subsequent attack.

Once more your opponent climbs on his feet managing to not leave any openings for you to take advantage off and he speaks yet another prayer defensively so as not to allow you to disrupt it. Once done you see a corona of healing energy engulf him and his wounds slowly begin closing. ((spellcraft to identify))

He smiles confidently, extends his right hand and motions for you to come at him.

“Out there, you must learn to face any kind of criminal. From the petty thief that just tries to run, to the trained warrior or the sneaky rogue but even a potent wizard gone rogue or a deranged cleric that not only breaks the edicts against necromancy but turns against the city itself. For these threats you must learn to adapt and fight them with whatever gifts you possess of your own. Sure a team of guardsmen might be within a whistle blows reach but what if your opponent has silenced you.” Says the corporal.

bobthe6th
2013-03-15, 07:15 AM
Lets mix things up...

James smiles at the words, and spins his blade like a propeller over his head. He suddenly turns invisible as he steps forward and takes another few chops at his foes legs.

I'm not sure that maneuvers require concentration... so if they can be done in a rage. If you say he can't, he still 5ft steps and full attacks.

Monodominant
2013-03-15, 08:15 AM
You go invisible and you deliver a blow that seems to surprise him. He once more finds himself to the ground as you stand above him, invisible to the naked eye.

Unfortunately fate, or overconfidence, robs you of a decent blow as your scythe strikes the ground next to him!

Basically your trip succeeds but the attack fails... so your second posted attack is kind of null cause he is already on the ground so you need an actual (non touch) attack to hit unless if you are doing something different with it.

bobthe6th
2013-03-15, 09:00 AM
Could you just use the attack roll from the additional attack as it is the same as a normal attack? and as I will be AFK for a bit, and I assume he is going to stand up and either attack or cast another spell, James will do the one thing he is really good at. 5ft step to the foe and full attack

Monodominant
2013-03-15, 04:21 PM
-continuing from before.

As he has fallen on the ground but your first blow has missed you do not let him recover and strike again. This time your scythe finds its mark and the blow is strong.

You are still invisible when he jumps on his feet and focuses right where you are as if sensing your presence or just pin pointing where you are based on the blow.

He attacks, once more with a hammerhand blow on chest level.

50% miss chance [roll0] - 51+ hits [roll1] damage

Following his blows you reappear and swing again trying the same trick as before. Your curved blade pulls at his feet but he plants his strongly on the ground and stays standing this time. Your second blow has a similar fate and you are left with him facing you and deliving two strong kicks on your torso.

The first kick hits and you almost feel bones break from the blow but the second falls short as he seems momentarily distracted.

Damage: [roll2] damage

bobthe6th
2013-03-15, 08:10 PM
James curses bitterly, but he doesn't really have any more options. So back to swinging like a demon.

Two rounds left of flurry.... Well, hope this works.

James will flurry, and try to flurry again next round if nothing prevents it. Just gonna roll both rounds....

touch attack: [roll8]
opposed trip: [roll9]
Free attack: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11]
touch attack: [roll12]
opposed trip: [roll13]
Free attack: [roll14]
Damage: [roll15]

Monodominant
2013-03-17, 02:34 AM
Once more you use the haft of your weapon to make him drop and once more you succeed. This time even better you slice against him and he leaves a yelp of pain but still does not seem to be close to being defeated.

Whats worse some of his wounds have closed ever since he cast this latest spell.

Your second attack falls short as he rolls back. He then proceeds to stand, still in a way that does not allow you to attack him and speaks a few calming words in a beautiful, sing song language.

Spellcraft and will save (against compulsion/mind affecting in case that matters for your abilities).

bobthe6th
2013-03-17, 08:57 AM
This is probably not going to go well...
[roll0]
That enough?

bobthe6th
2013-03-17, 09:03 AM
Seeing his foe still standing, whole and hale, while his limbs begin to tire...
James sees that desperate times call for desperate measures.

He rushes his oponent with a pair of clumsy but heavy slashes.

POWER ATTACK for 2... use previous rolls. so -2 to hit, +4 to damage. Hope that might do something...

Monodominant
2013-03-18, 03:40 PM
You resist whatever compulsion he tried to force on you.

But your decision to go all out actually proves an error in judgement. Both blows go wide as he weaves away.

He then proceeds to lift his hand as if wanting a second of recourse.

"Another thing to learn is to know when to quit. Surrender is an option... not an easy way out but an option when its your life or the possibility to live for another day and report what you have learned..." he tells you.

"Do you surrender?" he then asks you.

bobthe6th
2013-03-18, 04:03 PM
James lets out a gasp as his rush runs out. His blood is angrily pounding in his skull, boiling about.

Gah the headache... shouldn't overdue it that much...

James lets out a grunt and shifts his scythe to a more defensive angle.

"See, I learned long ago that surrender is worse then death. For with death you merely lose your life. With surrender, you give your life to another. I favor a tactical retreat!"

As he says this he steps back slowly to the edge of the circle and uses shadow jaunt to the edge of the building.

Monodominant
2013-03-19, 08:53 AM
Your opponent shakes his head as he bows to the assembled group.

"You forget that as a lawman your duty is to uphold the law and protect the innocent. Though we dont expect heroic sacrifices we do expect efforts to save those present from a menace or threat even if that means risking physical harm to yourself..." the corporal says motioning to you to come back.

bobthe6th
2013-03-19, 09:37 AM
James smiles. "See, a retreate is to get breathing space, which I really need here."
James heals himself, as he steps around the edge of the building.

[roll0]

Monodominant
2013-03-19, 09:57 AM
The corporal shrugs as he gathers all of you together.

"So. Today you all learned a lesson... there is always some meaner and better than you. Each of you fought on your own... not one turned around and asked for help. Why? Cause it wasnt in the rules? As guardsmen you need to know what is a law and what is a rule... you must be ready to do whatever it takes to pursue your duty just as long as you yourself dont break the law for any reason.

Playing fair? Thats for heroes and adventurers. Our job is to protect the city and the citizens and stay alive at the same time... our job is to protect the rule of law and the word of the King and bring justice to the unjust!

We are not vigilantes and we are not murderers but we also are not victims." he concludes.

"Before you go, allow me to now make the introduction. The man you fought is Lieutenant Angron. He is a lieutenant and also cleric of St Cuthbert of the Cudgel. He can break the bones of our foes while he sets and heals yours! So remember his name and pay him the respect he is due!" he says with a smile.

bobthe6th
2013-03-19, 10:46 AM
James staggers back to the group, healing himself with his own touch.

He salutes the lutenent, and waits for further developments.

Monodominant
2013-03-19, 11:16 AM
The rest of the day is calm by comparison.

For the next few days you have similar trainings daily and slowly they are incorporating teams of you fighting against other teams to promote teamwork. The physical exercise actually becomes tiring as it goes on for 10-12 hours a day with few breaks in between but you manage to cope as do most others.

Then, a fine morning you are asked to meet Sergeant Stevens, your corporals superior, for the next assignment that is part of your training.

You have been paired with Erik von Styrm and Giacomo. You are asked to be at the sergeants office at precisely 9 and report together. You and Giacomo are there on time but Erik has not yet arrived...

bobthe6th
2013-03-19, 04:38 PM
Of course he is late... stuck up little ****. Well, guess we have to just solderer on...

James looks at his companion.

"So... if we go in as two, we will probably get chewed out for not finding our companion. If we wait, all three of us might get chewed out for being late. If we wait, he still dosn't show, and then we go in, we get chewed out for being late and not finding our companion.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't stick out my neck for Erik. I figure we might as well go in?"

He says the last part as he moves to open the door, seeing if his friend disagrees.

So... having played this character a bit, how open are you to some rather drastic restructures? Like shedding 2 levels of fighter for 2 levels of Totemist(with some refluffing if you are ok with that). A blink shirt does the teliportation things so much better, and it has better ways to do dance of the spider. I could see going Totemist for a few more levels... as High as James is likely to go.

Monodominant
2013-03-19, 06:03 PM
I do not object on principle but given that Rizban is doing the actual character approval of sheets I will have to ask him. Or you can ask him in PM and copy me...

Giacomo seems more uncertain than you.

"Errr.... I dont know... Erik seems like a nasty piece of work and not waiting for him might have repreccusions beyond those of the sergeant... I dont want to end up guarding the Dock gate when we get our stripes..."

bobthe6th
2013-03-19, 06:12 PM
"Hmm... true, but he is late, and we were told to be there on time. I suspect no less was expected of him... Damn I hate this. The straight answer would be to take the consequences, but pissing Prissyboy McRich off might well be a bad plan. Have you seen him this morning? If we're fast we might be able to grab him and not be that late."

Has James seen Erik this morning?

Also, cool to see you are ok with it. Will PM Riz.

Monodominant
2013-03-20, 03:54 AM
“Yea… I saw him during breakfast. He was chatting with a young red head lieutenant from the Mage Quarter precinct.” he says agreeing with the idea of going to get him.

bobthe6th
2013-03-20, 09:39 PM
"Well, any idea were he might be? If he is in the mages quarter then he is lost to us."

Monodominant
2013-03-21, 03:39 AM
"Lets go have a look downstairs at the mess hall. Maybe he is still there!" he says and rans towards the ground floor where the mess hall is located.

bobthe6th
2013-03-21, 11:00 AM
James quickly follows the other guard to the mess hall.

Monodominant
2013-03-21, 11:19 AM
Your annoyance grows as you indeed arrive at the mess hall panting and see Erik sitting at a corner table with a beautiful red head in guard uniform that is currently with her back turned towards you.

Erik is talking animatedly and laughing and only gives a short glance as the two of you enter.

bobthe6th
2013-03-21, 12:27 PM
James sighs... and walks over to the two of them.

"Sorry mam, but I believe this man has an appointment he is running late for. Hope you don't mind picking this up later." He glances over at G, and motions to pick Erick up by one armpit and his friend grabs the other.

If his message gets across, he will try to frogmarch Erick back to the meeting place.

Monodominant
2013-03-22, 04:41 AM
The woman turns towards you, regarding you with interest. She is a young, no more than mid twenties and with deep grey eyes that send a shiver down your back for some reason. She is wearing a light leather armor with a few decorations that is overall in an impeccable condition but carries no visible weapon.

As she stands up shee moves with a certain animal grace and you have the feeling that she is what one could call 'a natural predator'.

"Does he know? I will have to tell the Captain that our friend here then is not so good with timing... might affect his chances" she says with a smile revealing clean and sharp teeth.

Erik protests initially but then relents, not allowing you to drag him though. When you are out of ear shot he pushes the two of you back and snarls.

"I am working for our future you idiots"

bobthe6th
2013-03-22, 08:06 AM
"A future we might lose if we are any later. Mind talking as we walk, explaining why talking to a beautiful woman was to gain anything besides possibly a date?"

James looks at Erick with mild interest. He motions to start walking to the appointed place.

Monodominant
2013-03-23, 12:06 PM
"I dont think I will.... you forget yourself if you think we are equals Darkchild. My business is my own and you should consider yourself lucky I am kind enough to include you in it. I just hope your rude manner and crashness will not ruin our chances..." he says with wounded pride as he strides ahead of you.

bobthe6th
2013-03-23, 12:57 PM
James rolls his eyes and flips out his scythe as he steps forward. He tries to sweep his opponents legs out from under him and step on his back while hooking the scythe blade under his neck.

Touch attack to hit:[roll0]
Opposed strength:[roll1]

If successful, he says "Ok, so you don't like walking. Now would mind telling me what the **** you were doing?"

Monodominant
2013-03-23, 07:29 PM
You are in the Fortress and attacking someone with the scythe? Interesting...

Giacomo jumps back as you assault your fellow trainee and his eyes go wide with worry.

Erik curses as he falls flat on his face and then yells as you place the scythe on his throat.

"You maniac! Get off me!" he begins to yell.

bobthe6th
2013-03-23, 11:02 PM
"I ain't done anything yet, I just want some explanation of why you were being late. After that we can get back to walking, and we can still be nearly on time."

He says this calmly, with a small smile on his face.

No blood spilled yet. At worst assault... hope James doesn't end up on docks duty for this, but he would not let that slide. He has some small pride left.

Monodominant
2013-03-24, 03:54 AM
"I was arranging to which precinct we end up when our training is done. The Mage Quarter one is the most prestigious and 'easy' assignment and with some effort I could have us all there! But not so sure scythe-boy... how does Old Town or the Docks sound?" he spits out pushing to his feet.

bobthe6th
2013-03-24, 05:33 AM
James flips his blade to his side, and holds out a hand to pull Erick up.
"Now, was that so hard? Thank you for telling me. As for the threat, I honestly don't care... but as part of the same squad I doubt you really want to go there. Place gets a bit hairy honestly."
He keeps up his smile and motions to get back to walking.

Probably going to be a pain in the long term... but had to be done.

Monodominant
2013-03-24, 10:30 AM
Take 150 xp for the roleplaying of the scene.

Erik does not take your hand but he strides away towards the office you are supposed to go to without another word.

Giacomo looks first at him, then at you and shrugs.

"I would be careful if I were you. I hear his father may not be a big time noble but he is still a noble..." he tells you.

bobthe6th
2013-03-24, 10:34 AM
"I will try not to do that again... I just dislike bullies. In any event, we better get going."

James hurries to reach the door, and sees that they are all their before opening the door.

Monodominant
2013-03-24, 10:42 AM
You open the door and Erik enters first.

"Apologies Sergeant! Private Darkchild's stomach couldnt handle the chow last night and we had to wait for him for some time to be out of the privy before we could report all together. We are ready to accept any form of punishment for our delay sir!" He says right away after saluting.

The man you see inside, Sergeant Stephens, is a very old human. Most of his hair is gone, only two puffs of grey hair on the side of his temples and a finely trimmed grey moustache all that remains. He has cold blue eyes and his uniform is in fine condition despite its obvious age.

His eyes dart from Erik to you and Giacomo and then stay on you.

bobthe6th
2013-03-24, 10:46 AM
James snaps to attention, and gives the man a salute while returning his gaze. He waits to see if the lie is challenged, or if they can just move on with their briefing.

Monodominant
2013-03-24, 10:56 AM
"Good to see your team is cohesent enough to cover each other rather than leave a man behind." the older guardsman says.

"In any case. Here is the exercise. My left boot has been stolen. I need you to find it... consider that during this assignment you are detectives rather than privates... at the same time you dont have a lot of authority even with that title... so you need to get people to listen to you, respond to you and you need to find the perp."

bobthe6th
2013-03-24, 11:10 AM
"I assume we are allowed to ask you a few questions sir? Such as when the crime took place, and who would want your boot? Is there anything special about the boot? Who had access to the boot? Such basic questions..."

James favors the man with a thin smile and keeps up the staring contest.

I assume we have gotten some basic education in investigation? Is it ok if I break out my police procedural knowledge?

Monodominant
2013-03-24, 02:39 PM
"From this moment on you are on the investigation. You can ask questions from any of the involved parties... this includes me as the person that came to you, so to speak, to report the crime. So yea, ask your questions. Keep in mind others might try to avoid you either because they are part of the exercise and have been told to do so or because they dont want to waste time etc... so be insistent but remember you cant do anything without proof."

Erik frowns, already annoyed by the idea of the exercise while Giacomo simply follows your lead.

Yes, you have received such training during the past weeks. Consider Aldhaven a pretty modern and civilised society but with the caveat that people in power are even more above than law than today (so no touching/arresting/accusing nobles etc). Still burden of proof lies with the guard and there is due process... normally though you may be able to get away with a bit of violence in interrogation easier than today.

Feel free to ask many questions to him and I will give you the answers to avoid doing 1 question/answer per post.

bobthe6th
2013-03-24, 04:46 PM
James shrugs, and gets to questioning.
"So sir, when did you become aware the Boot was missing? Was the boot stored in some secure place? Was there any sign of forced entry? Who would have easy access to the boot? Who would want to steal your boot? Is there anything special about the boot except the fact you owned it? Was the right boot also taken? If not, was it stored in the same place as the left boot?"

Monodominant
2013-03-25, 04:07 AM
-When did you become aware the Boot was missing?
Today, just a few hours ago when I woke up and tried to put on my boots

-Was the boot stored in some secure place?
Not particularly. I had them next to the door, outside my room where we all keep our boots so they don’t stink the room up.

-Was there any sign of forced entry?
Why would there be? Everyone keeps boots outside the room. There isn’t really a lock they had to bypass to get to it.

-Who would have easy access to the boot?
Anyone that lives in the same corridor as me. There are 6 more rooms for sergeants, corporals and junior lieutenants where my room is located. The door leading to the corridor does have a lock buts its rarely locked as we are after all in the Fortress.

-Who would want to steal your boot?
Now that’s a good one. Sergeant Ulther and I don’t see eye to eye on many things… he could be behind it. Also, as a sergeant I boss around a lot of corporals and privates… any of them could have a grudge for me. Especially Corporal Norbed and Private Gardo… those are nasty pieces of work and wouldn’t put theft past them.

-Is there anything special about the boot except the fact you owned it? Was the right boot also taken? If not, was it stored in the same place as the left boot?"
No, no and yes. My boots are good, sturdy leather boots issued by the guard. The soles are a bit worn out but no other damage. Only the left boot was taken and yes they were next to each other so they were ‘stored’ at the same place.

bobthe6th
2013-03-25, 07:47 AM
"So the fiends devilish plan for vengeance was to... inconvenience you until you could pick up another boot from the stores? I mean, suffering fear of punishment for that? Seems a bit odd to just take one boot... To those you mentioned with a grudge, was there some special tie to your left boot? Such as making them lick it, or polish it. Something that would make them seek vengeance against it?"

Monodominant
2013-03-25, 08:29 AM
Erik gives a snigger.

"Its an exercise Darkchild. They stole the boot cause thats the exercise... it could have a been a diamond necklase, a wand of fireballs or a tiara but the point here is for us to find the thief, not care about the value of the item!" he says.

The sergeant gives him an annoyed look but he then nods.

"He is correct. As for the grudge holders... not that I can remember. I might have kicked them once or twice but nothing more demeaning than that... its against guard policy..." he says with a smile.

bobthe6th
2013-03-27, 07:36 PM
James turns to Erick.
"Yes it is an exercise, but treating it as such is counter productive. A story is here as with all crime, even if this time the story is a work of fiction. If we can figure the motive for stealing the boot, we can probably work out who did it. Though if you have any great ideas on were to find this boot, feel free to say."

He turns back to the victim of the terrible crime.
"Did you here any odd noises during the night? Was anyone not in their rooms last night? When did you get in last night? did you notice anything odd about any one today or last night, like nervousness or guilt?"

Monodominant
2013-03-28, 03:34 AM
The sergeant seems to appreciate the way you handle the situation and he gives you a rare smile.

“Unfortunately most of the answers to this question are negative. I didn’t hear or see anyone prowling outside… it was done while I was sleeping I assume. I came to my room as usual at around 10 at night and did not go outside again. I also didn’t notice anyone suspicious.”

Giacomo taps his lip and asks “Are we allowed to do a door to door search? My father used to do that when he lost something… I have 5 brothers and 4 sisters and he always found what he was looking for in one of their rooms…”

“Or perhaps we should do things the easy way and simply obtain a scroll with a Locate Object enchantment on it and have it cast with the boot as the focus…” mumbles Eric.

bobthe6th
2013-03-28, 07:37 AM
"Except this is a boot like every other boot in the entire guard tower, and we don't have the original... and I suspect the left boot has significant differences from the right boot in the set. A door to door search sounds viable, but it would be nice to know if it was a nearby thief or someone from outside the hall. We should probably interview each of the men in the hall in turn, possibly at the same time.

I honestly can't think of any other questions at the moment." Here James turns to the other two trannies, and sees if they have any further questions. If not he will bid a polite farewell to the sargent, and lead the way to interview the men in the hall.

Monodominant
2013-03-28, 09:17 AM
Eric pouts as you reject his idea and stays silent.

The sergeant sighs at Giacomos comment.

"You cant force anyone to allow you into their rooms. If they agree then you can search it but not agreeing doesnt prove guilt. Plus some of the people we are talking about have authority so I would be careful how I go about it..." he says explaining guard procedure before you depart.

"By interviewing them at the same time you mean all together or same time different rooms?" Giacomo asks you once you are out.

bobthe6th
2013-03-28, 10:00 PM
"I guess we should do them each in turn, as we want to see if we can catch them in a lie... well, I guess we should start with the sargents neighbors and move outward..."

James will look for objections, then go knock on the door closest to the sargents door.

Monodominant
2013-03-29, 08:30 AM
"You dont think we should check out the people he specifically mentioned then?" asks Eric as you walk towards the hall that the sergeants quarters are.

"Why waste time with neighbors when we have a list of suspects already?"

bobthe6th
2013-03-29, 10:45 AM
"Those we're the vaigest accusations... that they looked a bit shifty. For all we know he is bigoted or something. Though if you want, I'm not stopping you from going to interview them. You are probably better at getting people to talk to you then I am."

Monodominant
2013-04-01, 08:20 AM
"Very well. I shall go and have a chat with Sergeant Ulther and see if I can get anything from him. Shall we meet again in 4 hours and compare what we have?" he says arrogantly.

bobthe6th
2013-04-01, 10:22 AM
"Thank you. Shall we meet in front of Sargent Steven's door? If so, see you in four hours."

If Erick agrees, James will go and knock on the door of the room nearest to the Sargent.

Monodominant
2013-04-02, 03:42 AM
Eric agrees and departs.

Your knock is answered a moment later as a middle aged man opens the door. He is in the process of shaving and half his face is covered in foam. He looks at you and Giacomo curiously.

"Yes? What is it? I am in the middle of something so make it quick."

bobthe6th
2013-04-02, 09:11 AM
"Hello sir, we are inquiring after a stolen boot. If you wouldn't mind answering a few questions, we would be happy to wait for you to finish your ablutions."

James attempts to maintain a respectful distance and keep a reasonable smile on his face.

Monodominant
2013-04-02, 09:37 AM
"A missing boot? What the hell are you on about youn.... oh... oh yes. Now I get it. Yes... yes ok" he says and smiles.

"Give me a second to finish shaving and then I will be right with you." he says and slams the door shut.

Four long minutes later the door is opened and you see the man finishing dressing up in his uniform. He doesnt let you in but looks at you seriously and nods.

"So guardsman. Ask your questions."

bobthe6th
2013-04-02, 10:04 AM
"How late did you get back to your room last night?"

Ok, now I am deliberately giving no solid information as I am trying to see what he knows... though he may know more as he knows about the exercise... not sure if this will work.

Monodominant
2013-04-02, 10:09 AM
"I would say at around midnight... hence my late rise. I had a double shift and then a night patrol with some rookies."

bobthe6th
2013-04-02, 10:21 AM
"when you got in was everyone in their rooms? Were any boots missing that you noticed?"

Monodominant
2013-04-02, 02:20 PM
"Not that noticed. Everyone keeps their boots out of there to avoid the smell so there are a dozen of them out. Last night when I came in almost everyone was here cause there were 4 pairs of boots... plus mine makes it five. Only the pair from the last room, Corporal Figgins, didnt have a pair outside."

bobthe6th
2013-04-03, 11:06 AM
"Thank you for your time sir. Now, if you would excuse me, I have to interview the rest of the hall." James smiles at the man, and turns to go to the next door down the hall.

Should I roll sense motive or whateves, or should I assume for the exercise that no one is lieing?

Monodominant
2013-04-03, 03:18 PM
Noone answers your knocking on the next door. Same aplies for the one across it when you try the same thing.

I am rolling for you sense motives to avoid issues with you knowing what you rolled and making assumptions. I will inform you in the description if you detect someone lieing to you. And no they wont all tell the truth...

bobthe6th
2013-04-03, 04:05 PM
yeah... that would have been a good skill to invest some ranks in...

Well, James will keep going around the room until he has knocked on all the doors.

Monodominant
2013-04-04, 12:23 AM
From the six doors of this corridor you know one is of the sergeant, another is of the man you just spoke to, 2 more are currently not answering and you head towards the last two.

The one to the left actually has two pairs of boots outside but when you knock, nobody responds.

bobthe6th
2013-04-04, 12:31 AM
James asks Giacomos to watch the door to see if anyone comes out, then goes to knock on the final door.

Monodominant
2013-04-04, 03:34 AM
Giacomo nods and stays next to the door so that he is not immediately visible should someone open the door suddenly.

After knocking you have to wait a while. Just as you are about to lose hope you hear shuffling feet from inside. The door is opened and a disheveled looking half-elf stands behind it. He has red eyes and a 3 day beard and reeks of alcohol.

“’wasthiss then? Quit your infernal bangingsgn” he mumbles trying to focus on you.

Monodominant
2013-04-05, 02:27 AM
Bump for great justice.

bobthe6th
2013-04-06, 10:18 PM
James smiles, and speaks in a level and quite voice. "Hello sir, I would like to ask you a few questions as part of an ongoing investigation. Do you have a moment?"

Monodominant
2013-04-08, 03:22 AM
"Whoser... whattser? Dont speak so loud damnyou!" he mumbles.

As he shakes his head to refocus he blinks a few more times and nods.

"Okok... Come inside! Take a seat and ask your questions but by Saint Cuthbert do so quietly!"

The room beyond the door is a mess. Dirty clothes, half-eaten food and bottles of beer and rum are scattered around. A faint smell of damp and rot can also be felt coming from under some soaked clothes.

There are indeed a few chairs, stacked with clothes and a surprisingly clean uniform.

bobthe6th
2013-04-08, 08:33 PM
Ah, rot and damp... how I love the smell. Life and death intermingling, so pleasant. James politly enters, and tries to shift the clothes around so H can have a clear seat.

In a fairly quite voice, a bit above a wispier he says "I would just like to know when you got in last night, and if you noticed who was already in?"

Monodominant
2013-04-09, 02:53 AM
"thas better... see not so loud and all is fine..."he mutters as he looks at you.

"I didnt really... er... sorry what was the question again? Ah last night yea... well I didnt get in last night. I came in early morning. Saw a dodgy fellow going out but was too... er... too tired, yes tired thats it, to ask him any questions!"

bobthe6th
2013-04-14, 03:46 PM
"Was he sombody you knew, or were you to tired to notice? Also, were there boots by all the doors?"

Monodominant
2013-04-14, 05:26 PM
"No... can... cant I mean, cant say I met him before. He just seemed shifty you know... And I didnt really pay attention to the boots... was too...er... burp... tired, yes tired for those details."

bobthe6th
2013-04-14, 06:41 PM
"Well, thank you for your time sir. I will be in touch if we have any further questions." James stands up, nods to the half-elf, and moves toward the door.

Monodominant
2013-04-15, 02:40 AM
"ffcourse" he mutters and doesnt get up relying on you to close the door behind you.

As you step outside you notice that the door you knocked on before is opened just a sliver and someone is looking out. As soon as they spot you, they close the door but you have already seen it.

bobthe6th
2013-04-15, 07:38 AM
James steps over to the door, and gives a rapid knock. He says through the door. "Excuse me, but my compatriot an I are performing a small investigation. Would you mind speaking to us for a moment?"

Monodominant
2013-04-15, 08:11 AM
"Imbusyrightnow" comes a response from behind the door. The voice sounds pretty gruff.

bobthe6th
2013-04-15, 07:58 PM
James sees no reason not to give the man a little space, and seeings as all he has left to do is wait... He leans up against the wall and stares at the door. He'll give the man 10 minutes, then he will knock again.

Monodominant
2013-04-16, 06:55 AM
The ten minutes pass and you knock again.

"I already told you! We... I , I am busy here! Just go bother someone else!"

bobthe6th
2013-04-18, 04:27 PM
James shrugs, and goes back to waiting. He will knock again after 30 minutes.

Monodominant
2013-04-19, 03:20 AM
At around the 20 minutes mark the door opens a little bit and a young and very pretty woman in a corporals uniform, without boots, steps out. She looks at you surprised and confused and goes to return back inside.

bobthe6th
2013-04-22, 05:18 PM
James takes this moment to turn invisible and port out or near to the exit. if that is out of the question, and they arn't many stories up(3 max), he will port out the window.

If his teleportation is insufficient, he will use his normal movement to get out of line o' sight with the door of the probably irate officer.

Monodominant
2013-04-29, 10:39 AM
The woman returns inside and you teleport our of the nearest window, located right next to you as this is the last door on the corridor. You are on the second floor and thus take [roll0] points of damage.

You can try and negate the first of the 2 d6s with a tumble check or make it subdual by rolling a jump check (or both)

You see surprise in the features of your comrade, still at the corridor and next to the door just as your disappear.

bobthe6th
2013-04-29, 05:23 PM
He didn't take the time to fall properly. He just takes it on the chin so to speak.

James shakes his head clear, then move to break line of sight with the window. If he doesn't use all his actions to do so, he will start healing using charnel touch.

Monodominant
2013-04-30, 05:25 PM
You hear some yelling from above. Not battle cries or anything, mostly some cursing and generic yelling from the man that had spoken from behind the door earlier though his voice is now amplified from anger.

You heal your wounds uninterrupted.

bobthe6th
2013-04-30, 11:20 PM
James starts nonchalantly walking away from the building and continues healing. He waits around the yard, and will walk back up to the hall once the time till Erik gets back.

Monodominant
2013-05-03, 05:55 AM
Before Erik you see your companion and fellow trainee returning. He looks like a wet cat with his head hang low and a pained expression on his face. When he sees you he curls his hands into fists and comes over quickly.

"You bastard! You let me hang up there! Lieutenant Garrus said he will tell the corporal and the sergeant that I was a nuissance and a problem!!!" he yells at you.

bobthe6th
2013-05-03, 08:35 PM
James shrugs "...There was a door. I would have got you out if I could, but I can only shift myself also falling two stories was not the most pleasant experience. Though I do apologize, we should have waited out in the hall... but I don't really have a handle on this 'tact' deal. Sadly, there's not much we can do for it now, barring killing him quietly. I think a minor note of disfavor is the better result."

Monodominant
2013-05-06, 02:28 AM
Giacomo still doesnt seem happy but he takes your comment about killing the Lieutenant as a joke thankfully.

You have been waiting for a while when Erik returns with a smug smile.

"So? Did you find the perp yet?"

bobthe6th
2013-05-06, 07:32 AM
"No, though we did narrow down the time for the crime to take place. How did your conversation go?"

Monodominant
2013-05-08, 04:13 PM
"I actually have arrested two individuals and have placed them in holding for interrogation. I need to interrogate them now and I could use your help..." he says calmly.

bobthe6th
2013-05-08, 04:47 PM
"Good work, so to the interrogation rooms?"

Hmm... hope it ain't this obvious. But lets see...

Monodominant
2013-05-09, 02:47 AM
Dont make assumptions...

"Well before we can do that I do have a small issue. I kind of tricked them into coming with me and locking them in a cell. We need to search their rooms while they are away to make sure. I kind of forgot to ask for a 'warrant' to be honest."

bobthe6th
2013-05-09, 05:13 PM
James raises his eyebrows "Ok, retract the previous complement. We got any proof above suspicion that they did it? something that makes a search reasonable? Also, aren't the other guards going to let them out as they aren't in there legally... Though I could get us in the rooms if I could see in."

Fact check, are the warrant laws anywhere near what they are in the USA? As in, would we get thrown out of the guard/our entire case thrown out?

Monodominant
2013-05-13, 10:36 AM
Apologies for delayed response.

So, yea there is a semblance of 'modern' process but corrupted by the fact that we are in a partly medieval setting. So some level of departing from due process is more than acceptable. Still things should be done by the book... albeit a less defined book and less restrictive as you would have today.

"We have the suggestion from the victim of who had motive. I have the fact that I asked them to talk to me and they refused, hence obstructing my investigation. That should count no?" he says calmly and with a laid back attitude of indifference.

"And no, they cant get them out as I locked the door and placed an arcane lock on top of that!" he says and grins.

bobthe6th
2013-05-13, 03:45 PM
"Fine, lets do this. I still have my misgivings, but this should work. So, to the breaking and entering..." James motions for them to go up to the rooms.

their secure up until any of the actually responsible people come along at take 20 on their str check... but enough of these misgivings.

Monodominant
2013-05-14, 02:43 AM
You get up in another area of the Fortress were private rooms for ranking personnel are located.

Eric produces a key and points to a particular door.

"Thats the room. I got the key off of him." he says and unlocks the door entering.

Inside you see a messy two bed room. There is a pile of shoes in the corner, among them there are actually boots. The room has a musky smell but effort has been made to clean the atmosphere by leaving a window open.

bobthe6th
2013-05-14, 07:58 AM
"For the love of... we have serial boot thieves apparently, or deeply addicted shoe shoppers." james moves forward while drawing his long sword and shield. He pokes through the shoes to see if there is anything trying to eat his face within. "So... how are we supposed to know which pair we are after? They are standard issue..."

Monodominant
2013-05-16, 06:51 AM
Nothing jumps out from the pile. As you investigate further you find a total of 8 -pairs- of boots. Some are new and some are old but all boots are in pairs and not singles as you might have hoped.

Eric and Giacomo continue searching the place and Eric looks up to you and smiles.

"Well we have the reason we brought them in... the boot collection. But we still needed cause to enter here. I can take care of that!" he says and produces a small brown stick from his belt. He goes to break it on his knew and unless you want to intervene he does so.

"Cover your mouths and noses boys!" he says excitedly.

bobthe6th
2013-05-16, 07:35 AM
"Because they have a quantity of boots? Is it a crime to own multiple pairs of footware? I'm not seeing a single, so they're looking clean..." James doesn't moov to stop Erick, but takes a breath and cover his face.

Monodominant
2013-05-16, 08:42 AM
The smoke stick goes off and the room fills with smoke. It quickly dissipates through the open window and open door but a thick smell of smoke remains.

"Now we have the reason we had to come in here!" he says very proud of himself

"We thought it was on fire! Thankfully everything was fine but we found the boots. As for the fact they are all pairs thats not something that acquits him. He obviously is stealing boots but for whatever reason didnt get a chance to steal both boots this time!" he says.

bobthe6th
2013-05-16, 01:53 PM
"...And if they use the amazing defense 'we like to have spare pairs of boots'? We have no case unless we have other victims or the left boot..."

Monodominant
2013-05-18, 04:13 PM
"I seem to recall my own boots were stolen. I thought they were lost but I now see one of those pairs and they seem like mine." says Eric with a jaded look on his face.

bobthe6th
2013-05-18, 06:36 PM
"As an exercise they already probably know the truth. Lieing is most likely the worst course of action. Making up evidence is done when we can get away with it. Now, sense we haven't seen any single boots, why not search again and then try the one room we haven't gotten a chance to check?"

Monodominant
2013-05-20, 09:22 AM
"Sure, lets give it a try! I didnt find a key on the second guy but I know his room!" he says and leads you to another room 2 doors down.

"Either of you has a way to open it?"

bobthe6th
2013-05-20, 04:01 PM
"Hmm..."

James will look at the door to see if there are any cracks wide enough to see through. If there are he will go invisable and shadow jaunt through them. Otherwise he will use his scythe blade to slowly cut at the bottom of the door, until he has shaved away enough wood to see under the door. Then he will go invisable and jaunt through the crack.

Monodominant
2013-05-21, 01:34 PM
There is in fact a keylock and you can see inside. Not so much see to see details but enough to be able to teleport inside.

You go invisible and teleport inside. You find yourself in a normal, tidy room. There are stacks of books with information on Aldhaven law and history of the city. There is a complex looking chessboard with ivory chess pieces and other such curious pieces of interest.

Lastly there is a pressed uniform with a Captains stripes hanging on a rack.

Monodominant
2013-05-26, 06:51 AM
Bump just in case you missed it.

bobthe6th
2013-05-26, 11:14 AM
James sees if the door opens from the inside, otherwise he just refreshes his maneuvers and slips back out.

Monodominant
2013-05-27, 03:52 AM
James sees if the door opens from the inside, otherwise he just refreshes his maneuvers and slips back out.

The door is locked but it has the type of lock that does open from the inside without a key. Perhaps as a safety measure or some other reason you cant ascertain right away.

When you exit you see Giacomo looking worried and Eric laughing his butt off but a few feet away.

“Hahaha you tool! You broke in a Captain’s private room! I got you good!” he says in a mean spirited way. He backs off if he see’s you advancing towards him and smiles.

“And now we are even James. Hopefully you will learn not to mess with me and get physical or I will sing to a certain Captain that you went and sniffed his dirty underwear so to say… So lets get to the actual room!” he says and grins.

bobthe6th
2013-05-27, 02:07 PM
"yes, and black mail is all fun and games. Now stop this tom foolery and get us the suspect."

James steps out and wipes off the handle of the door with his sleeve and shuts it behind himself.

note to self: when there is an excuse cu de grace him in his sleep. Luckily, I know where he sleeps, and can turn invisible on a whim. Now to get non magical anti anti lieing capabilities...

Monodominant
2013-05-27, 04:09 PM
The other guardsman laughs a bit more before becoming more serious.

"Very well. Right this way!" he says and you head back down to less auspicious rooms.

"The sergeant did tell us of a corporal and a private. You should have known a private's room wouldnt be up there Darkchild. Dont blame me you didnt use your brain!" he says as you arrive outside a simple wooden door with a basic lock. Many such private rooms are set aside for permanent guards of the Fortress.

bobthe6th
2013-05-28, 09:33 PM
Sadly you will stop using that brain once I get the slightest excuse or opportunity.

James Ignores Erick and tries the door. If locked, he will look at Erick and ask "you got a key this time?"

Monodominant
2013-05-30, 02:58 AM
Anger leads to the dark side... and in a well guarded fortress with alot of magic users part of the guard it probably leads to capture :D

He produces a key from his pocket and unlocks the door. Inside is a pretty standard and plain room. There is no pile of boots this time nor is there much literature.

Eric begins searching the bedroom while Giacomo does the same for the little kitchen area leaving you the main living room and most of the work.

Monodominant
2013-06-07, 09:24 AM
Bump. Are you still around?