PDA

View Full Version : Crusader Random-Rolling Granted Maneuvers (and alternate options)

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-20, 04:28 PM
So, I'm playing a Crusader in a game at present - really enjoying the class, it's a lot of fun... but it has one distinct issue that drives me up the wall. It's not a question of power or utility, but of simple bookkeeping:

I hate randomly rolling my maneuevers. Not because of the random aspect or anything like I said this isn't about power - but rather because the book doesn't actually provide a specific method for doing this.

That leaves me doing this a lot:

1-2 Revitalizing Strike
3-4 Stone Bones
5-6 Leading the Attack
7-8 Vanguard Strike
9-10 Foehammer

<roll>1d10</roll>

<roll>1d10</roll>

<roll>1d10</roll>

----

Fairly routinely those rolls turn up the same number. Now if this were a face-to-face game that'd be OK, but since it's a play-by-post game that means I need to make 2 posts for each of my actions - one to roll for maneuvers, and the other to execute said action; and I have to clutter up the roll post with a bunch of back-up rolls in case I get duplicates.

There's got to be a better way to handle this. Anyone have any ideas? Normally I think I'd make up some cards to draw; but again, this is a play-by-post campaign so there's no way my DM can allow that since it'd be easy to cheat.*

Another option I was considering was giving up 1 Readied Maneuver and my Extra Granted Maneuver feat (if the DM will let me) in order to have all Readied Maneuvers available like a Warblade, and use the Warblade recovery method. That said I don't know if I'm over or under-costing such an ability, and I want to be fair about it since Crusader is pretty darn powerful as-is.

So yeah... thoughts? >.< Squirrel is going a bit nuts here.

*I'd never do so, but I don't want it to even be a consideration for a lot of reasons.

Fortuna
2013-01-20, 04:32 PM
You could roll descending die sizes?

Bear in mind that if this is PbP, you have any die size you need. So roll 1d5, 1d4, and 1d3, removing each manoeuvre from consideration as it's granted. In your example, if you roll 1, 3, 2 then that would correspond to Revitalizing Strike, then Vanguard Strike, then Leading The Attack. Easy!

The dice rolling thing is trickier, but might I suggest establishing a separate dice rolls thread for the game so you can make your double-posted rolls without clogging up the game thread?

only1doug
2013-01-20, 04:59 PM
The best solution is to use a deck of cards, that you draw until it's empty, and then shuffle and redraw.

Did you read the OP at all?

You could roll descending die sizes?

Bear in mind that if this is PbP, you have any die size you need. So roll 1d5, 1d4, and 1d3, removing each manoeuvre from consideration as it's granted. In your example, if you roll 1, 3, 2 then that would correspond to Revitalizing Strike, then Vanguard Strike, then Leading The Attack. Easy!

The dice rolling thing is trickier, but might I suggest establishing a separate dice rolls thread for the game so you can make your double-posted rolls without clogging up the game thread?

I agree with Random Person, use descending dice sizes as he describes. (I have done so, it works OK, I edited the posts afterwards to give better detail of the results and add spoilers around the rolls).

TuggyNE
2013-01-20, 06:20 PM
You might try stuffing next turn's maneuver roll(s) into the end of this turn's action post.

Gigas Breaker
2013-01-20, 07:02 PM
Number your readied maneuvers one through five. Use playing cards ace through five. Shuffle them up. Draw your granted maneuvers. Cards that are ungranted remain in your 'deck'. Cards you have expended are put in your 'discard pile'.

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-20, 07:11 PM
You might try stuffing next turn's maneuver roll(s) into the end of this turn's action post.

That is a really good idea, and I'm not sure why I didn't think of it myself...

I'm going to try this and the descending dice thing, see if those solve my issue. Thank you all very much <^_^>m It's been the only barrier to enjoying an otherwise superb class.