PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Tropes! (for large groups)

RedCloakLives!
2013-01-20, 04:40 PM
I've been thinking about good inspiration, or source material for adventures. Movies, plays, myths, history and so on.

But since our group is medium to large (fairly diverse - all ages (teens to old fogeys who played 1st ed), m/f, varying motivations for playing), I figure not all source material is appropriate. Ideally, I'd be aiming for equal participation from everyone.

For example, the classic "Defend the Village" scenario would tend to keep everyone involved. (source material: Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven, various zombie attack movies.)

But something like Hamlet. Not sure how I could implement that for a large group, because it features only the one protagonist. Unless it were merely the setting.

While I'm thinking about it, I'll also mention "The Heist/Caper." (source material: Topkapi, Mission Impossible, etc.)

And "Finding Your Way Home." (source material: The Anabasis / The Warriors)

What other ideas do people have?

TheThan
2013-01-20, 05:03 PM
I always wanted to run an RPG, in which the party is part of a circus troupe, traveling around getting into trouble and generally being amusing.

You could have the following
The strongman as a warrior type
The acrobat or gymnast as a thief/acrobatic type
The fortune teller as a spell caster
The ringmaster could act as the face of the part
The animal handler could be the party ranger or druid
the "beast woman" could also be a druid

ArcturusV
2013-01-20, 05:34 PM
Course related to Finding Your Way Home is always the Fetch Journey, one where they gotta find something out there in the world and bring it back home. Food, water, medicines, whatever MacGuffin is laying around.

I always like the Journey of Discovery approach. Not the personal soul searching kind as that tends to have far too many single character focused moments, but I mean adventures which uncover something which speaks of the forgotten past or direct nature of man, the life, the universe, etc.

Of course there is the Homesteader sort of thing, where the characters are newcomers to a harsh land, far removed from civilization and have to find a way not only to conquer the land but to live with it and make the best of their situation that they may or may not have chosen for themselves.

Seharvepernfan
2013-01-21, 06:51 AM
Fetch/Slay Quest - Go somewhere specific, find something/kill-or-capture someone, come back with it.

Exploration Quest - Find someplace or something, but you don't know where it is. This could also be an information/person finding quest.

Courier/Stealth Quest - Get to and fro, perhaps with something important, without losing it or getting stopped. You might need to do it without anyone being the wiser. This can also cover escapes or adventures where the party is hunted.

Siege Quest - Attack or defend a specific location, preferably a structure or otherwise defendable area.

Heist Quest - A noteworthy subset of the siege quest. Get something valuable out of somewhere highly defended, preferably without anyone noticing. You could also do the opposite, like preventing ocean's 11 from getting into the vault.

Battle Quest - Simple. Participate in a battle, whether a gang fight in the alleyways or a clash between two massive armies. Do what it takes to win, such as blocking retreats, killing commanders, holding certain areas, etc.