PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a fun "navi" (Link's fairy)

Souped
2013-01-20, 07:04 PM
"I'm Navi the fairy! The Great Deku Tree asked me to be your partner from now on! Nice to meet you!"
— Navi

Hey playground! I will soon be playing in a one shot! And the theme is quite original... This is the setting the DM (obviously a girl) gave us.

Witches build houses out of gingerbread. Princesses’ curses are broken by true love’s kiss. Freudian imagery abounds. In a world of fairy tales and enchantment, a group of adventurers has traveled in search of a mythical castle, said to contain riches beyond compare.

I've never played any unconventional characters... (Core warrior, core monk and core rogue) This will be my fourth d&d 3.5 campaign as a player and I really want to create a fun character. I was thinking of playing something in the lign of "navi" from Zelda.

But I also want to have fun... Being annoying is fun... But it's just not enough. I also want to be effective on the gaming table. Any suggestions?

Rules:
Roll 4d6, dropping the lowest, 7 times; discard the lowest score, and assign ability scores as desired. Races and classes may be from any D&D 3.5 sourcebook. You begin at level 6. Your belongings may total up to 13 000 gp.

Rolled:
14-15-12-13-16-16

Role:
- I don't know, I'd like to make it extremely fun to play...

Playground! Please come to my aid!!!

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-20, 07:08 PM
Too small to be a Pixie. Petal, maybe?

Urpriest
2013-01-20, 07:10 PM
It's a bit low level for it...but I think you should consider something along these lines (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19867902/Trixie_the_Party_Booster).

Now, you won't be able to get most of the tricks in that build yet. But you can at least have the main focus, a Pixie party buffer. The same guy who made that build has a handbook for Pixie (and other sprite) characters (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871070/The_Pixie_Handbook).

One thing he doesn't cover is the Petal, from the Monster Manual III. Petals are technically Cohort-only, but they have a lower level adjustment and if you can get your DM to let you play one they're a toned-down Pixie that will allow you to have more levels while still pursuing the base concept.

Darrin
2013-01-20, 07:11 PM
Soulspark Familiar, maybe?

Or an Unbodied?

GenericMook
2013-01-20, 07:14 PM
The closest thing to Navi, as far as I'm aware, is either a Lantern Archon or a Coure Eladrin in its alternate form.

Coure Eladrins are ECL 7, which takes 'em out.

Lantern Archons don't have an LA, so you'd have to talk to the DM.

Low-as-hell Strength score though.

Urpriest
2013-01-20, 08:17 PM
Soulspark Familiar, maybe?

Or an Unbodied?

Unbodied is too high level without a Monster Class or something. Soulspark Familiar is definitely the closest thing to Navi, but it would have to belong to somebody.

nedz
2013-01-20, 08:46 PM
Start with the Half-Fey (either Template or Racial class) and improvise.

Or play an Illusionist (Wizard, Sorcerer or Beguiler) and defeat enemies with your imagination.

Vizzerdrix
2013-01-21, 01:49 AM
Petal warlocks are very fun to play around with.

Metahuman1
2013-01-21, 11:35 AM
Ok, so, see if your DM will allow you to have some construct graphs from MM II and will allow the Half Giant race form one of the psionics supplements, and the Unseelie Fey from dragon compendium. Also make sure you can get Some Artificer Infusions and the Ritual of blood (Re-fluffed.) from your eberron books. You'll pay for this with gold out of starting wealth to pull this trick.

First, play a half Giant with the LA already bought off and the Unseelie Fey Template. That get's you wings, a small Cha boost, and one turn undead attempt a day along with some DR cold iron and the giant sub-type, that's all you care about on this end.

Install the graphs. Two should be plenty, Iron Golem is preferred. Also put a thin shell of Riverine over them to protect them form sunders and the like. This gives you a Str and Con boost to help offset the crazy penalty your about to take too both.

Next, Tap you Eberron Material, and undergo the Ritual of Blood. From there, you employ the worlds smallest giant trick (look it up.), and go down to fine size. You've just taken a crippling Con and Str Penalty, except most of the con and all the str penalty is offset by the graphs. You now invest a little bit into con, but you really only need a 10 or 12 or so there cause your Cha is boosting your HP now, and you can just dump Str.

From here, you put a little into Con, and a lot into Cha and Dex, the latter getting a massive boost form your new size, and a little into Int and Wis, or just Int if you pick up the keen Intellect feat.

You should also pick up the following feats. Some of them have race requirements, but you can work with your DM about that.

If attacking ranged: Point blank shot and precise shot. If melee, Weapons Finnesse.

Underfoot Combatant, Confound the Big Folk, Learn Martial Stance: Giant Killing Stance (if a none spell caster.), Combat Panache, Travel devotion.

If you have Sneak attack, grab the craven feat. If you have Edlrich blast, grab empowered spell like ability, and if you have bardic music, totally grab two levels in seeker of the song and the Dragon Fire inspiration feat, along with a way to adjust the energy type.

One level dips in the following are also advised. Witch Hunter (For Cha to all saves.), Any Incarnum class that will give you access to the Foot Chakra and Pegusis Sandles (For Perfect Maneuverability fly speed.), And if your gonna be Melee and don't also get Sphinxe Claws on your Incarnum Dip, Spirit Lion totem Barbarian.

Beyond that, Bard, Bard/ Either Warblade or Crusader, Rouge, Factotum, Scout, Scout/Ranger with Swift hunter (and maybe a rouge Dip for swift Ambusher.), Warlock, Sorcerer, or Favored Soul would all be excellent classes with this configuration, given that they play to your strengths and in several cases minimize your weaknesses.

Yes, talking the Dm into this is gonna be a pain. Tell her that a lot of it is mechanical stuff that will be completely re fluffed and happened off camera, so that when the game starts all the party will know is there is a very small thing with faerie wings that zips around all over the place and does what ever ability's your chosen primary class does. A Magic Item that causes permanent Illumination should be able to handle the ball of light angle, and of course the worlds smallest giant with the added template and LA removed is just so that you can do the whole "Pocket sized." thing. the rest, is just making sure your helpful to the party at the table and offsetting the otherwise crippling weaknesses of the build.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-21, 11:40 AM
Do be aware that whoever is the link to your navi may just smite you out of the air.

I know I'd've killed that annoying little git six ways from sunday if the game would've let me and I also know I'm not alone in this.

Metahuman1
2013-01-21, 10:54 PM
Well, the trick to avoiding that is to only talk when there's something worth saying, and to have a broader ways of getting everyone's attention then "Hey heylistenheylistenlistenheylisten!"

Snowbluff
2013-01-21, 10:58 PM
People over exaggerate Navi's annoying behavior. She doesn't really spam that so much.

Eternal Blades come with a guide who knows things. The class is sort of like being Link, right down to the Elf.

Make sure to have knowledge, or have Motivate Intelligence from Marshal so people get to know what's going on while you are around.

talondarkstar
2013-01-22, 07:43 PM
Another great alternative is the Faen race from Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed. There are two Faen to choose from (small sized fay race) and after 3 levels of any class you can 'trade' a feat for an advancement that reduces you to Tiny size and grants a flight speed. This can further be built upon by 3 optional levels in a racial class that gives +2 dex, spell like abilities and perfect flight speed. It still counts as humanoid so you can throw on a ring of reduce person later for Fine sized benefits. Then you can mix and match classes normally to get the Navi feel, and basically trade a feat instead of a level adjustment.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-22, 08:06 PM
Asherati (Sandstorm) PsyWar 5/Elocater 1 with the compression power?

Maybe try and talk your DM around to letting you use the PGtF LA variant to play a Coure Eladrin

DarkEternal
2013-01-22, 08:07 PM
Try adding a level(if possible) of Gibbering Mouther since they both can't shut up and drive people insane.