PDA

View Full Version : [god] Banjo!

Doglord
2006-11-05, 06:03 AM
Banjo (demigod)
Great god of puppets, he of the clown face.

Domains:Chaos, luck, air and trickery

Typical worhipers: Bards, people who like a laugh

Quests: Worshipers go on quests to make people happy.

Herald and alies: Banjo often sends a very young celestial gold dragon bard level 5 as a herald. Planar allies are often air elementals.

Still under construction, all comments welcome.

mikeejimbo
2006-11-05, 10:43 AM
Huzzah! One of my characters was looking for a good god to worship. I think he's found it.

BardicLasher
2006-11-05, 10:49 AM
Symbol: A Banjo
Home Plane: Material Plane (though ocassionally visits the Far Realms)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Portfolio: Music, Comedy, Puppets, Coffee (Not espresso)
Worshipers: Bards, Sorcerers (Especially those who use electricity), anyone who likes fun, awakened puppets
Cleric Alignments: CG, CN, CE, N
Domains: Choas, Luck, Air, Trickery
Favored Weapon: Pie (or Rapier)

Yes, no, maybe? HAIL BANJO!

kailin
2006-11-05, 12:09 PM
Yay!

Much love for Banjo, he who cares not for expressto.

Arakune
2006-11-05, 02:28 PM
one correction, it's "coffe:expressto"

Doglord
2006-11-05, 02:59 PM
Thanks bardiclasher, thats perfect.

Ill update with some back ground tommorow.
(symbol should puppet)

BardicLasher
2006-11-05, 06:43 PM
Also note that he's "Banjo the Clown" not just "Banjo."

I couldn't think of a good Favored Weapon for him, so I just chose Rapier, the standard Bard weapon.

Doglord
2006-11-06, 07:38 AM
Name: Banjo the clown (demigod)
Symbol: A puppet with a banjo.
Home Plane:Bytopia
Portfolio: Music, Comedy, Puppets, Coffee (Not espresso)
Worshipers: Bards, Sorcerers (Especially those who use electricity), anyone who likes fun, awakened puppets
Cleric Alignments: CG, CN, CE, N
Domains: Choas, Luck, Air, Trickery
Favored Weapon:Rapier
Herald:Very young celestial gold dragon bard 5th.

This is the update.
I will do a background in a couple of hours.

Doglord
2006-11-06, 01:29 PM
History: Banjo was a little glove puppet owned by a human bard called Elan. Banjo was eventually brought to life. The two traveled everywhere together until the death of Elan. Then, for reasons only the gods know, Banjo the clown became a demigod.

He now lives in a castle on bytopia. He has a group of royal carriers for when he decides to travel. ( He is only a glove puppet, he has no legs!)

Doglord
2006-11-07, 01:53 PM
Update: When someone chooses to worship Banjo, they must choose to be ortodox or reformed. The quest of orthodox is to harvest kidneys, the quests of reformed is to throw pies at people in a funny way.

Tibor
2006-11-07, 02:46 PM
I think that Banjo the Clown would be Chaotic Good rather then Chaotic Neutral.

Doglord
2006-11-07, 03:21 PM
I think that Banjo the Clown would be Chaotic Good rather then Chaotic Neutral.

But you forget that ortodox worshipers like to harvest kidneys. I dont find that good.

Grey Knight
2006-11-10, 04:42 PM
I couldn't think of a good Favored Weapon for him, so I just chose Rapier, the standard Bard weapon.

I imagine a suitably-enchanted banjo would make at least a rudimentary bludgeoning weapon.

Mewtarthio
2006-11-10, 04:54 PM
Favored Weapon: Improvised Weapons (banjos, pies, various funny things)

Grey Knight
2006-11-10, 09:10 PM
Seltzer bottles? With (un)holy water, might actually be a halfway useful short-ranged weapon against appropriate opponents. :durkon:

Tibor
2006-11-11, 12:13 PM
But you forget that ortodox worshipers like to harvest kidneys. I dont find that good.

AH...indeed I did forget the Othodox branch of the religion.

Enlong
2006-11-12, 02:08 PM
Hmmm, I can actually imagine an evil assasin banjoist. Imagine, invisible, and silenced, he sneaks up behind his mark, and strangles him with a banjo wire, and leaves him for dead, leaving a pie splattered on his corpse.

Awesome, thanks so much for making this. I actually have a bard who worships Banjo, and you just made it all the more belivable.

Veedrix
2006-11-27, 05:29 AM
Wouldn't Banjo the Clown be part of the Pantheon with Thor? Some obscure Norsk reference has to be made. Perhaps as an alternate favored weapon of a warhammer or maul?

Jades
2006-11-27, 11:41 AM
Banjo is attended by three muses by the name of Macon, Paramount, and Epiphone.

Orthodox Banjoists follow the five tenats (strings) of banjo, while reformists follow only four of them.

(Macon, Paramount, and Epiphone are three of the best banjo makers in the world.)

(The standard banjo as five strings, but Plectrum and Tenor Banjos both only have four.)

XtheYeti
2006-11-27, 11:58 AM
All hail Banjo!!!
i love you man.

Amon Star
2006-11-27, 01:06 PM
HEATHENS!!! YOU HAVE STRAYED FROM THE TRUE PATH! ALL HAIL BANJULHU!!!

Home Plane:Bytopia

Why Bytopia? Sure Ysgard would be a better plane, as it's Chaotic, with a hint of Good.

Balesirion
2006-11-27, 10:26 PM
I agree that it should by Ysgard or Limbo. Banjo just doesn't really belong on Bytopia. Also, he should not be able to have True Neutral clerics. It states in the Players Handbook that a cleric cannot be True Neutral without their deity being True Neutral as well.

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2006-11-28, 12:25 AM
Orthodox Banjoists follow the five tenats (strings) of banjo, while reformists follow only four of them.

Brillance! Now we just have to come up with what the tenets be. Obviously the fifth string represents the "bloodthirsty vengence" bit.

Favored Weapon: Improvised Weapons (banjos, pies, various funny things)

I agree with this too. Cellos, the burnt remnants of a failed baking expedition, pillows...

I see him as condoning and encouraging freedom, self-will, and self-expression ("the consumer knows best"). Maybe even a cool trickster god, in the vein of Hermes or Coyote. After all, he is a clown. God of puppets.

Veedrix
2006-11-28, 11:47 PM
There was something one of my DM's ran as a "bards special" weapon. A fully functional string instrament, that the neck then breaks off, and you have a nice hidden weapon, like a shortsword, or a rapier. When you think about a banjo, that could totally be doable.

As for tennents the only one I care to come up with is Free coffee makers for all.

Jades
2006-11-28, 11:54 PM
Possible, yes. Most banjo necks have at least something that runs down through the head.

knightsaline
2006-11-29, 12:36 AM
As for tennents the only one I care to come up with is Free coffee makers for all.

you mean boxes with the words "expreso mashine" written on them and soiled with coffee. anyway, I didn;t think they even had coffee in what I call fantasy times (medieval with constant paradoxes regarding armor).

Amon Star
2006-11-30, 10:58 AM
anyway, I didn;t think they even had coffee in what I call fantasy times (medieval with constant paradoxes regarding armor).

As :durkon: said, "Tis magic."

Grey Knight
2006-11-30, 01:30 PM
you mean boxes with the words "expreso mashine" written on them and soiled with coffee. anyway, I didn;t think they even had coffee in what I call fantasy times (medieval with constant paradoxes regarding armor).

I added coffee once. Increased saving throws versus sleep, better Spot and Listen checks, but it beats your Move Silently into the nether regions.

Tack122
2006-11-30, 05:10 PM
Hmm... perhaps a substitution level for bards worshiping banjo that allows them to take one of his domains... *wanders off to read through the PHB and DMG again*

Altharis
2006-12-01, 10:19 AM
Why the air and lightning theme? Isn't banjo more of a bardic god?

Grey Knight
2006-12-01, 11:55 PM
Why the air and lightning theme? Isn't banjo more of a bardic god?

Well, Banjo's first official act after he came into existence was to smite someone with a lightning bolt (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0080.html) (albeit a very small one).

Cult_of_the_Raven
2006-12-03, 09:41 PM
:elan: prepare to be smote, infidel!

The_Ferg
2006-12-04, 11:57 AM
So you basically just recreated Olidammara, but less cool, a puppet instead of a person, and gave him the Air Domain? All hail Banjo!

fangthane
2006-12-04, 02:47 PM
I disagree with the favored weapon section (and am still not sure Rich would approve of others giving stats to a deity he created, but let that pass)

Banjo's favored weapon should be the greatclub. Well, the greatstick, really. I can't possibly be the only person here who's heard of Punch and Judy, right?

Mewtarthio
2006-12-04, 07:30 PM
I disagree with the favored weapon section (and am still not sure Rich would approve of others giving stats to a deity he created, but let that pass)

Banjo's favored weapon should be the greatclub. Well, the greatstick, really. I can't possibly be the only person here who's heard of Punch and Judy, right?

Ooh, you mean the Heterodyne Boys' dopey monsters, right?

...Don't worry, I was only kidding. I think I saw them once in some really old movie.

The_Cowinator
2006-12-04, 07:45 PM
:elan: *prays* Yea, though I walk through the valley of Roy being really pissed, I shall fear no thwacking, for my lute and Banjo they comfort me.

StickMan
2006-12-06, 09:32 PM
Must make Cleric of Banjo.