PDA

View Full Version : Help: Item saving throws

tim01300
2013-01-20, 08:02 PM
Can someone explain item saving throws? My party is going to encounter a gray ooze which has the ability to dissolve metal/wooden armor or weapons that it comes in contact with. I have never used a monster with this ability before.

The item has to make a DC 16 reflex save. The save DCs are constitution-based.

Do items have base saves? Or is it just a d20 roll? If I'm reading the DM book correctly, magic items get a +2?

Any help appreciated.

jindra34
2013-01-20, 08:08 PM
Unattended magic items have a save of half their caster levels. Items in someone's possession use their save. Mundane items just lying around don't make saving throws.

Morcleon
2013-01-20, 08:18 PM
A magic item’s saving throw bonus equals 2 + one-half its caster level (round down). The only exceptions to this are intelligent magic items, which make Will saves based on their own Wisdom scores.

If the magic item is unattended, it uses this save. If it's attended, then it uses either its own save or the wielder's save, whichever is higher.

Thac0 Redeye
2021-11-03, 07:28 PM
what about the when a chara is grappling with the ooze? what all gets the save? armor, shield, weapon? what about all items like bags and potion belts?

Peelee
2021-11-04, 06:50 AM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Threads get no saving throws from death effects.