PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Question about movement in hazardous terrain

Lord of Shadows
2013-01-20, 08:21 PM
Two-part question for an encounter under construction:

Picture a maze-like environment where characters can either follow the "maze" - and be safe from it (though not necessarily safe from nearby enemies or other effects) - OR they can move right through it and suffer some effect or penalty from passing through. For the sake of argument, say that the "maze" is made up of Prismatic Walls (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/prismatic-wall) (not the actual encounter I am working on, but it gets the idea across).

Q1) What would be the top movement speed through such an environment if one follows the maze? (Lots of left-turn, right-turn, etc...). I think this would be Tactical Movement (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/exploration-movement#TOC-Tactical-Movement) (you move your base speed per round) perhaps with the Hampered modifier.

Q2) If the "maze" were invisible, or not immediately perceptible, and a creature makes a move into it, how far would their momentum carry them once they realized they were in a hazardous area? (I assume this would change based on the movement at the time of entry; for example charging would carry one farther into the hazard than a single 30 ft move action).

Thanks in advance.

Drglenn
2013-01-20, 08:37 PM
For 1: regular movement should do, just make sure that they can't cross the maze in one round if they ignore the walls (i.e. make the entrance to the maze further from the exit than 5x the highest party member's speed)

2: I personally would just let them stop whenever they wanted, people can stop pretty quickly when they want to IRL. Also don't try to bring momentum into a system that doesn't have anyway that way madness and commoner railguns lies. If you really want to do something in that vein, maybe make them take a reflex/acrobatics check to not fall over if they stop suddenly.

Also I would only run this for a low-level party, once they start getting access to Dispel Magic (to disrupt the walls), teleportation (to bypass the maze) and/or the ability to fly (to go over the maze) then it's pretty much just going to be a joke.

Lord of Shadows
2013-01-20, 08:48 PM
Thanks Drglenn. Actually, I was thinking of making it a 3-dimensional maze just so those who can fly don't feel left out.. :smallcool:

Drglenn
2013-01-20, 08:58 PM
I'm assuming involving multiple exits so that the people who can't fly can get out.
Also don't make your walls acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic damage so that they can't just use Resist Energy to ignore it.