PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer spell selection

Spuddles
2013-01-20, 09:59 PM
Trying to decide on 3rd level spells for a level 6 sorcerer. Can pick from all 3.5, except core, which are replaced with pathfinder versions of spells.

Because of feats/ houserules, I get 3 3rd levels known. Will be taking sandshaper next level, which adds the following to my spell list:

control sand, desiccate, dispel magic, dominate animal, haboob, slipsand, summon desert ally III, sunstroke, tormenting thirst, wind wall.

Current spell list:
0th
Sample, presto, detect magic, launch bolt, disrupt undead, quick boost

1st
Charm person, mage armor, grease, unseen servant, disguise self, acidic curse, hail of stone, magic missile, benign transposition, power word pain, hypnotism, flame hands

2nd
Pyrotechnics, create pit, wings of cover, delay poison, web, ray of stupidity, command undead

Some relevant info:
All my feats are eaten up on learning more spells and are non-negotiable
Thanks to apprentice feat, I can pick up another feat this level

Likely gaining cerebrosis feat in near future.

Flame hands is to recharge a staff of fire we found. Which means I usually get 5 fireballs a day, at CL8. Been super amazing.

Current spell load out has been amazing so far (minus delay poison and hypnotism from serpentine bloodline)

Serpentine bloodline lets my enchantments work on animals, monsteous humanoids, and like one other monster type.

Have a little trouble vs single tough opponents, like a higher level monk. Buffs might be better than picking up a single target blast spell.

Party consists of surprisingly well played druid (played by a never played an rpg or videogame in their life player), a classically built VoP clericzilla, a well built paladin (pathfinder T3 variety), and a rogue that can't roll above 10.

Thinking of getting fly, haste (good for druid, cleric, paladin, animal companion, any summoned critters, and rogue), and shrink item.

Our combats are difficult, involved, and tend to involve a lot of humanoids with class levels and undead.

Fairly heavy roleplaying, too. Having two exalted characters in the party means we often take the difficult path. We capture a lot of enemies, usually at risk and cost to us. Sometimes we'll go for 3 hours of a 5 hour session without resorting to violence. Just talk it out, you know?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this.

Agincourt
2013-01-21, 02:06 AM
It sounds like you have 3 very good 3rd level spells in mind already. With Dispel Magic from Sandshaper, you have a pretty good base. You might consider swapping Major Image for Shrink Item, although both are very good spells. In or out of combat, Major Image can create just about anything you can imagine. In combat, it can be used to divide those large groups of humanoids or maybe even send them running from whatever fearsome creature you "conjure."

ericgrau
2013-01-21, 03:42 AM
Sleet storm, haste and fireball are the top 3 PHB sells to get at level 6, and you already have fireball. Once you have enough 3rd level spells per day then I'd start picking up utility and hour/levels or 10 min/levels to burn your extra slots.

Sleet storm is pretty amazing battlefield control. I'm surprised it doesn't get used a lot more. IMO pick up haste and sleet storm, then use the rest (present and future) for w/e utility or long duration spells you want.

If you face large numbers of foes in tight yet easily visible spaces then you might get slow, but generally I'd prefer sleet storm.

docnessuno
2013-01-21, 09:03 AM
Your spell selection is solid, but i'd add a no-save singe target debuff to the mix (Ray of dizzyness is is a very god choice despite the mind-affecting descriptor).

Spuddles
2013-01-21, 03:15 PM
It sounds like you have 3 very good 3rd level spells in mind already. With Dispel Magic from Sandshaper, you have a pretty good base. You might consider swapping Major Image for Shrink Item, although both are very good spells. In or out of combat, Major Image can create just about anything you can imagine. In combat, it can be used to divide those large groups of humanoids or maybe even send them running from whatever fearsome creature you "conjure."

I tend to shy away from illusions cause I am never certain how the DM will interpret them. It could be a really good pick next level, for utility, especially as a passive disguise.

The duration leaves a little to be desired, though.

Sleet storm, haste and fireball are the top 3 PHB sells to get at level 6, and you already have fireball. Once you have enough 3rd level spells per day then I'd start picking up utility and hour/levels or 10 min/levels to burn your extra slots.

Sleet storm is pretty amazing battlefield control. I'm surprised it doesn't get used a lot more. IMO pick up haste and sleet storm, then use the rest (present and future) for w/e utility or long duration spells you want.

If you face large numbers of foes in tight yet easily visible spaces then you might get slow, but generally I'd prefer sleet storm.

The druid has been using sleet storm & call lightning to great effect. PF monsters, esp ones with class levels, tend to have a lot more ranks in acrobatics than 3.5 had balance.

I'd pick it up as 3rd level BFC, but the druid has it under control, and she likes being useful.

Your spell selection is solid, but i'd add a no-save singe target debuff to the mix (Ray of dizzyness is is a very god choice despite the mind-affecting descriptor).

I do have ray of stupidity and we just found a lesser metamagic rod of empower. One shotted a hill giant with it. Where is ray of dizziness? SpC?

I was thinking of picking up ray of enfeeble at some point, but shooting into melee really blows.

Single target debuff or single target heavy damage would be good, esp. if it didn't have mind affecting tag.

docnessuno
2013-01-21, 03:30 PM
I do have ray of stupidity and we just found a lesser metamagic rod of empower. One shotted a hill giant with it. Where is ray of dizziness? SpC?

I was thinking of picking up ray of enfeeble at some point, but shooting into melee really blows.

Single target debuff or single target heavy damage would be good, esp. if it didn't have mind affecting tag.

Sound lance is a solid single-target 3rd level damage spell (1d8/level sonic damage, fort halves)

Ray of dizzyness is in the SpC, it's pretty much a no-save slow, and one of the best debuff spells around if the opponent id not immune to mind-affecting spells.

ericgrau
2013-01-21, 03:55 PM
I had a precise shot caster that got much more mileage out of ray of enfeeblement, ya. You might be too low level for ranged touch spells without it. Without sleet storm this is getting tougher...

Aha I got it. Protection from energy. Every time you enter a dungeon or other suspicious place tag the 2-3 most major melee with protection from fire and tell the rest to take 5 and stay back (or cast or use a backup ranged weapon or w/e). Or else pick up resist energy ASAP so you can tag everybody with one spell or the other. Give PfE to the most fragile if that's the case and let the others put up with the ~5 damage per round leftover after resist. Haste round 1, then rounds 2-3 layeth down the smack with your 8d6 fireballs. Pummel the foes with pain until there's only 1 or 2 left and then stop and let the rest of the melee rejoin the fight and clean up. That staff is only going to be spectacular for 2-3 more levels, so you might as well get the most mileage out of it and blow up all your fights.

Spuddles
2013-01-21, 04:34 PM
Oh yeah, I use the fireball a lot. It's great, especially with two melee'rs that have evasion. A little risky, but so far has worked great. I've ended 3 encounters that could have gone nasty (wight packs, swarms of dread zombies) with a single fireball.

Magical Missile has been absolutely pivotal in dealing with incorporeal undead. Shadows and Wraiths are nasty, and trading melee with them is insane. Our cleric got drained to 10 con and 13 str by shadows and wraiths in the first two rooms of a dungeon.

Prot Energy is a great idea, though resist energy comes with sandshaper. We were lvel 4 when that staff showed up. For some reason it never went off, I think the DM was too busy doing gross **** with the witch like vomitting swarms of spiders. Ever since I've been a little spooked about enemy casters melting us with twice our CL worth of energy damage.

Convince me that Prot Energy is worth it and shouldn't be left to the cleric or druid.