PDA

View Full Version : Sloth-like race for ... hanging around.

zabbarot
2013-01-20, 11:05 PM
Foreword: I'm helping with another campaign setting and we're in the process of populating the bottom side of a flat world. You can fall off the world so everything on the bottom side needs to hold on tight or learn to fly. Also there are forests over there... it's a work in progress.

Mostly I'm just wondering if this looks like it carries enough benefit for a player to consider using. They have a base move speed of 20 despite being medium.

Anyways,
Brakumi! A race of peaceful sloth-people.

http://0.tqn.com/d/gocentralamerica/1/0/M/S/-/-/sloths04.jpg

Personality
Slow and steady wins the race, or at least it would if Brakumi believed in racing. Brakumi are careful and slow to act in most cases, preferring to talk things out when they can. They are often found in quiet contemplation, but they do enjoy company and can be down right gregarious at times. They don't have a good understanding of personal boundaries, partially because they spend most of their childhood clinging to their mother or fathers stomach as they travel the forests.
Physical Description
Both male and female Brakumi tend to be between 4'10" and 5'8" tall and around 110-160lbs. Brakumi tend to be very lanky. They are covered in fur that often has plants growing in it or even woven into it as decoration. When Brakumi do go to battle they wear woven and plant based armors.
Relations
dunno yet
Alignment
Tend towards Neutral Good
Lands
The forests of the underside?
Language
Common, Brakumi
Names
eh?
Brakumi Racial Traits

-2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, +2 Inteligence
Humanoid
Size: Medium
Brakumi base land speed is 20ft and climb speed is 25ft.
Brakumi gain the Brachiation feat at first level.
+4 racial bonus on Hide checks: While moving in forested areas a Brakumi can move up to her full movement speed with no penalty to stay hidden.
Scent(Ex): Brakumi have the scent extraordinary feature.
Automatic Languages: Common, Brakumi
Favored Class: Druid

Yitzi
2013-01-20, 11:25 PM
They should probably have an explicit climb speed.
Even so, a DEX penalty plus a slow speed means they probably won't be a common PC race. That said, you could just make them not one of the official PC races, and if someone wants to play one (very possible, as some builds could probably use it), they can.

zabbarot
2013-01-20, 11:33 PM
Is there anything you can think of that might make them more appetizing to players? I'm considering adding a spell like ability or something.

Turns out if a creature has a climb speed it gets a natural +8 to climb checks and can always take 10. Found here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040622a) So yeah I'll just add that.

Bhu
2013-01-21, 01:29 AM
Sloths should have Scent. That could make them more attractive. Plus they're Druids. With their shapeshifting abilities the limited speed and dex wont matter.