PDA

View Full Version : Weapon properties questions [3.5/PF]

Hyde
2013-01-21, 01:04 AM
I'm looking at stacking iterative attacks with natural attacks, specifically via multiweapon fighting. In the 3.5 rules, the RAI interpretation that you couldn't use a claw and a weapon in that claw was something one could typically bypass by merely dropping the weapon in question. It was at least solid enough reasoning for us, anyway.

The problem is that pathfinder felt it was necessary to append this little gem to their natural attacks entry:

"Creatures with natural attacks and attacks made with weapons can use both as part of a full attack action (although often a creature must forgo one natural attack for each weapon clutched in that limb, be it a claw, tentacle, or slam). Such creatures attack with their weapons normally but treat all of their available natural attacks as secondary attacks during that attack, regardless of the attack’s original type."

There's an "often" and the offending remark is in quotations, so there might still be grounds for "just drop it" still being viable.

I'm interested in hearing the Playground's opinions on that, but more importantly, I'm curious as to if there's a weapon property that exists anywhere where one can wield a weapon without specifically holding it, like a directed "dancing" enchantment.

Thoughts?

Hyde
2013-01-21, 03:43 AM
Honestly, it just seems irresponsible, the way they phrased it.

Be definitive, we already have "specific beats general" so you don't have to use words like "often" Say it outright: If you're holding something, you can't use natural attacks with that hand, if for some reason you're not holding something anymore, have fun. Or: for some mystical reason, using a sword in a hand locks down natural attacks with that appendage for a round, for whatever reason. Eat a d**k.

Sigh.

andromax
2013-01-21, 03:51 AM
There's the flying property in Magic of Faerun.. +1.. makes your weapon a floating animated object that attacks on it's own.

Hyde
2013-01-21, 04:03 AM
Somehow, that just seems like a cheaper version of Dancing.

Edit: I suppose the biggest difference is that Dancing gets bonus, where flying gets jack.