PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing a character built around Cloud of Knives.

Cranthis
2013-01-21, 05:14 AM
As the title says. However, I can't even decide on a starting point. I could go Wizard/Metaphysical spellshaper/Incantatrix for all kinds of metamagic tricks, or I could go Cleric/Whatever for Divine Metamagic persist, or even Cleric 1/Archivist x for that bag of goodies. Its all good options, but I'm mostly stuck between the Wizard and Cleric on this one.

Azoth
2013-01-21, 05:48 AM
Rogue1/wiz5/Unseen Seer10

Grab the spell that adds 1/3CL d6 SA damage with advanced learning.
Grab Invisible spell, extend spell, and persist spell.
Grab Craven feat.

4d6 base SA+1/3CL d6 SA+your level SA damage as an invisible free action attack 1/round.

Combine the same trick with Persistant Blade for a second free attack a round.

Bakkan
2013-01-21, 05:51 AM
Obviously, you want Persist. The next thing you want is Invisible Spell. First, a bunch of knives flying through the air tends to be distracting. Second, it is entirely reasonable to rule that invisible knives would cause their targets to be flat-footed. If this is the case at your table (or if we're assuming a permissive DM), I suggest Archivist in order to pick up Hunter's Eye (PHB II) which gives you sneak attack on all your Cloud of Knives attacks, and is persistable.

I would conider something like Cloistered Cleric 1/Archivist 11. Get the Planning and Undeath domains for Extend Spell and Extra Turning. For feats, choose Persist Spell, Divine Metamagic (Persist), Invisible Spell, Twin Spell, and Craven (qualify with Hunter's Eye), and swap out your Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion. Spend 2 skill points on Collector of Stories. You should be able to guarantee at least a +2 bonus from Knowledge devotion on all attacks. Pick up a +1 caster level from somewhere so you have CL 12 for Archivist. Get a Nightstick and at least 16 Charisma (or some other combination) so you have 14 turn attempts and can persist both Twinned Invisible Cloud of Knives and Hunter's Eye.

Now you can, using two free actions every round, make two touch attacks against flat-footed AC, each dealing 1d6 + 4 (base spell) + 4d6 (Sneak Attack) + 12 (Craven) + 2-5 (Knowledge Devotion) = 5d6 + 18 to 5d6 + 21.

Now enjoy your entire collection of actions every round in addition to your 10d6+36 (avg 71) damage per round.

Story
2013-01-21, 11:31 AM
Don't forget to get Fell Drain too.

Talionis
2013-01-21, 02:15 PM
Spellthief works pretty well with Cloud of Knives. There are a lot of ways to sneak attack with the knives and sneak attacks do a lot of wicked stuff for Spellthieves. Its not just stealing spells, but also reducing defenses and buffs.

Masterspell Theft lets you not spend all your levels in Spellthief.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-21, 02:36 PM
You want something with native sneak attack so you can get craven for +20 damage to each knife.

Fell drain, Fell weaken, Fell frighten, and Fell animate are funny on cloud of knives. Being able to throw out -6 penelties to strength, the shaken condition, and negative levels all with no save is great. Then they become zombies under your control.

Deny your foe their dex to ac for great fun. Now you are hitting their flatfooted touch AC, normally a 10. Greater invisibility, wait you already have persist? Fun times.

Necroticplague
2013-01-21, 04:29 PM
also, try seeing if you can't pick up a few symbionts. They share any self-buffs, so the could multiply your damage for you by using their own actions with cloud of knives duplicated on them. Of course, they won't benefit from your feats like craven.

Spuddles
2013-01-21, 08:07 PM
If you have feats to burn, spend them on martial study for assassin's stance. That gets you 2d6 SA. You can also get their with the heroics spell, for bonus feats. Hell a dip in unseen seer for hunter's eye gets you SA dice based on CL. Persist that and nab craven.

Combine with persisted gravestrike, etc for maximum goodness.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-01-21, 08:29 PM
Right here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10891237#post10891237), and I didn't even mention there that having a Familiar to share those spells will actually double the number of knives you launch per round.

If your DM rules that you can only have one casting of Cloud of Knives on you at a time, make it Persistent Fell Drain Twinned Repeated and share it with your familiar. That's eight knives launched per round, and each one deals a negative level.

Magnera
2013-01-21, 08:32 PM
I had made up an Improved Cloud of Knives spell a while ago. Ill see if I can find the thread.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-01-21, 08:37 PM
I didn't see anyone here suggest this so I just want to make sure you know of arcane thesis that increases caster level and makes metamagic cheaper.

TiaC
2013-01-21, 08:44 PM
There's also a spell called channel the void in DR304 that causes any spell or ability you use that drains levels to drain one more. Clr 5/Sor/Wiz 5.

I recommend Spellthief 1/Wizard 5/Spelldancer 1/Unseen seer X for Maximum power.

drack
2013-01-21, 09:54 PM
I didn't see anyone here suggest this so I just want to make sure you know of arcane thesis that increases caster level and makes metamagic cheaper.

Yup, that' the one. Only applies to one spell, but I'd suggest to DMs to put a +1 effective spell level cap on the -1 to all effective spell levels otherwise people get silly with thoughts of free metamagic and the occasional negative metamagic. (hence why that feat isn't touched as often)

But in essence yes you want effects like the fell stuff and black mole to ad heaps of damage on them, and be able to do them at higher levels too right?