PDA

View Full Version : Playing Characters with Low Stat Rolls

Felyndiira
2013-01-21, 09:12 AM
This thread was inspired by the following set of ability rolls I recently obtained on gitp:

4 6 7 11 11 13

For a total modifier of -6. I know that by standard D&D rules I should be allowed to reroll this set, although I actually came up with a very nice backstory and fluff for the character that fits this stat distribution. However, I would probably end up with a huge negative in Con due to the fact that I can't dump mental stats with this char concept; I imagine it would not be a huge problem since the campaign seems heavily RP-based, but having literally 4-6 HP at level 4 is still very unsettling.

I want to take this opportunity to ask, though: has anyone else ever played a character with low stats in a normal campaign before? With normally generated characters in the party? If so, I was wondering what kinds of things you did in the earlier levels to compensate for unfavorable stats, in particular constitution (without necropolitan or other really extreme measures)?

docnessuno
2013-01-21, 09:25 AM
An amulet of tears (MiC) is a cheap way (around 2300 iirc) to boost your HPs to more managable levels. It won't scale very well in the higher levels, but should be a pretty good option in the beginning.

Zanthy1
2013-01-21, 09:28 AM
I've been in parties with characters who have very low stats, although they are generally just 1 stat and not a slew of them. It is really cool to see the Paladin actually play like he has a 5 in intelligence. Very fun

However, as for having like 4 hp at a medium level, best way to compensate is either get a lot of temporary hp from spells or items, or just avoid combat. If the party comes under fire, stay far away, maybe even hide. Play your character as either a pacifist or a coward. Or even cooler, Both!!

ArcturusV
2013-01-21, 11:00 AM
I always play my characters old school, the old "roll 3d6 six times, assign in order" unless my DM explicitly orders otherwise. So I'm used to playing low end stuff like that. It's honestly a lot of fun, least to me. Though I will admit the time I had a 4 Wisdom and tried to play my character off as someone without a lick of good sense most people didn't even notice (His wildly inappropriate plans and ideas all were somewhat normal compared to most of the other Teammate's wildly inappropriate plans even though they had the Wisdom to know better technically).

But yeah. It's a lot of fun. As you saw being less than optimal has already given you RP fodder ideas. The lack of HP isn't quite as crippling as it's often made out to be. Just means you can't be quite as reckless in combat and should never take point/rear guard in any formation, if you have a choice. Then again depending on what you play your group might prefer it, like the vast number of groups I had who wanted me to play a Cleric who just stayed out of the way until it was time to heal after a battle.

only1doug
2013-01-21, 11:16 AM
This thread was inspired by the following set of ability rolls I recently obtained on gitp:

4 6 7 11 11 13

That looks like a warlock to me (as they aren't atribute dependant) you can even put your 13 into Constitution if you want.