PDA

View Full Version : Modules for New Players

Bibliomancer
2013-01-21, 11:37 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm a fairly experienced DM in 3.5, and recently a friend of mine mentioned that he and a bunch of his friends who have never played D&D before would like to try, and they wanted me to DM.

Their collective knowledge of D&D is effectively zero at the moment, and the proposal is to run a self-contained adventure in a long (potentially 10-12 hour long) session as a way to introduce them to the game.

Now, I'm assuming to fit the time limit I'm going to have to give them pregenerated characters, and I was thinking that using an existing adventure module for 1st level players, pared down, would make it easier to fit in the time allotted. Here's where I'd like your help:

Does anyone know of a good module for low (preferably but not necessarily 1st) level characters where you could complete the first portion of the story in a 10 hour session? The module would, if possible, incorporate role-playing and significant player choice, because these are the qualities that make D&D different from video games and that my friends are interested in. I figure I'm going to have to heavily modify the module to tailor for my group's needs, but having a skeleton around which to build would be immensely useful.