PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Rise up, my countrymen!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-05, 12:16 PM
Peasant Hero

http://images.creatas.com/common/detail/94/56/23245694.jpg

Medium Outsider (native)
Hit Dice: 10d8+40 (85 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (+6 deflection, +3 dex, +3 insight), touch 22, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+19
Attack: Sickle +15/+10 melee (1d6+5), Scythe +15/+10 (2d4+7/x4), or Pitchfork (ranseur) +15/+10 (2d4+7/x3) or unarmed blow +10 melee (1d4+5)
Full Attack: Sickle +15/+10 melee (1d6+5) and unarmed blow +10 melee (1d4+2), or Scythe +15/+10 (2d4+7/x4), or Pitchfork (ranseur) +15/+10 (2d4+7/x3), or 2 unarmed blows +10 melee (1d4+5)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with pitchfork)
Special Attacks: Inspirational, tenacious, tooth and nail
Special Qualities: Blood of the people, brave face, country bred, hidden destiny, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +10
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 13, Wis 17, Cha 23
Skills: Climb +18, Craft (any) +8, Diplomacy +19, Handle Animal +19, Intimidate +19, Jump +18, Listen +16, Profession (any) +10, Ride +15, Spot +16
Feats: Cleave, Combat Expertise, Fearless Destiny (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Fearless_Destiny,RD)(B), Force of Personality (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Force_Of_Personality,CAd)(B), Heroic Destiny (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Heroic_Destiny,RD)(B), Improved Grapple, Power Attack
Environment: Any land
Organization: Village (Peasant Hero, 40–400+ 100% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults, 1 or 2 lieutenants of 4th or 5th level, 10–50 riding dogs, and 6-30 heavy horses and 6-30 light horses)
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic or Neutral Good
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +4

This man doesn't look like much, wearing the same ragged clothes as those surrounding him, hands calloused and nails cracked from a lifetime of hard physical labor. There is a spark to him, a look in his eye and a catch to his voice that one could never forget. You know that if he asked, you would follow him to the end of the world and beyond...

A peasant hero from conception is destined to be something more. The parents are blessed by the Heavens to give birth to a man or woman that will be their people's only hope in the trials they all will soon face. They know nothing of it, not even the child, except perhaps he or she is a bit more strong willed than most, more reckless and prone to getting into trouble. However, in the face of adversity, what they truley are begin to shine forth, and despite their humble beginnings, they find themselves and what they were meant to be.

When an opressive king or lord squeezes its kingdom for taxes until those within it cry out the peasant hero builds up the rebellion. When an enemy army comes to wipe out every man, woman, and child, it is this hero whom somehow leads his untrained peoples to victory. The peasant hero is not only great, but he awakens the greatness inherent in all. He is a symbol of freedom and hope.

The peasant hero rarely differs very much from the standards of his or her race. He speaks whatever common tongue he learned in his childhood.

Combat
A peasant hero's tactics vary wildly, though most fight to win, not shirking underhanded tricks such as laying traps and sabotage. They are absolutely devoted to aiding their people and consider most methods of doing so fair game.

Blood of the People (Ex): For all effects related to race, a peasant hero is considered a member of his people instead of an outsider.

Brave Face (Su): His people's courage often hanging on but a thread, a peasant hero is a steady rock upon which others may brace themselves. He is immune to fear and despair, and all those within 60 feet of him gain a +4 bonus to save against such effect.

Country Bred (Ex): A peasant hero may move through any sort of field or undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect him.

He may also improve the attitude of any domesticated animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check to improve the attitude of a person. The peasant hero rolls 1d20 and adds his HD and his Charisma bonus to determine the wild empathy check result. The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent.

To use this ability the peasant hero and the animal must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal visibility conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute, but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time.

Hidden Destiny (Su): A peasant hero is undetectable by divination (scrying) effects, such as the scrying spell or a crystal ball. Such an attempt automatically fails to perceive the hero.

Inspirational (Su): A peasant hero can inspire his people to accomplish great things with his words alone. As a full round action where he speaks inspiringly, any ally within range of his voice gains a +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +2 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. This affect lasts for as long as the peasant hero speaks and for 1d4 hours afterward. Bonues from multiple speeches do not stack.

Three times per day he may pick a number of people whoes total HD does not exceed twice that of his own to inspire even greater greatness. These people gain 2 bonus Hit Dice (d10s), the commensurate number of temporary hit points (apply the target’s Constitution modifier, if any, to these bonus Hit Dice), a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls, and a +1 competence bonus on Fortitude saves. The bonus Hit Dice count as regular Hit Dice for determining the effect of spells that are Hit Dice dependant. This lasts for as long as he speaks and for 5 minutes afterwards.

Those that are inspired must succeed on a DC 21 will save each round or become Charmed by the peasant hero for as long as the inspiration lasts. These are all mind-affecting abilities. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Tenacious (Ex): A peasant hero continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying. When reduced to between –1 and –9 hit points, he automatically becomes stable. He doesn't have to roll d% to see if he loses 1 hit point each round.

Tooth and Nail (Ex): A peasant hero may use an improvised weapon without taking any penalties.

Delcan
2006-11-05, 10:45 PM
Flavor-wise and RPG-wise, I like this. I'm in favor of any idea of a common man being much more than he seems, especially for the downtrodden in a campaign.

Story-wise, I've always had gripes about the 'born to be awesome' plot point; I'm just not that big a fan of predestination as a story device. But for an RPG, these unsung heroes are great.

I'm not sure about the Hidden Destiny ability, though; granted it suits plot purposes, but it seems a bit on the uber-powerful side. (Then again, when I play I hammer on divination spells until the DM smacks me, so that might just be personal bias. ;) )

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-06, 09:36 AM
Story-wise, I've always had gripes about the 'born to be awesome' plot point; I'm just not that big a fan of predestination as a story device. But for an RPG, these unsung heroes are great.
I dunno, I've always wondered about these 'peasants' that all of a sudden go from being a down-trodden, dirt poor farmer to being able to defeat trained soldiers and inspire their people to war against them. This explains a few things.

I'm not sure about the Hidden Destiny ability, though; granted it suits plot purposes, but it seems a bit on the uber-powerful side. (Then again, when I play I hammer on divination spells until the DM smacks me, so that might just be personal bias. ;) )
Its based on a 3rd level spell and psionic power. A 5th leveler could cast it, and this dude is 10th leveler. All it does is keep you from being scryed. You can still be seen normally. Trying to picture how this is 'uber powerful'. You just can't watch him with a spell.

Delcan
2006-11-06, 09:28 PM
Its based on a 3rd level spell and psionic power. A 5th leveler could cast it, and this dude is 10th leveler. All it does is keep you from being scryed. You can still be seen normally. Trying to picture how this is 'uber powerful'. You just can't watch him with a spell.

Nondetection is a pretty great spell, but it just makes scrying more difficult - it doesn't shunt out scrying entirely.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-08, 01:03 AM
Nondetection is a pretty great spell, but it just makes scrying more difficult - it doesn't shunt out scrying entirely.
Was thinking more of Obscure Object. But it applies to the living instead. You could still, theoretically, scry his belongings I believe.