PDA

View Full Version : Turning 3.0 Rokugan Nagas to 3.5

Siltharon
2013-01-21, 01:39 PM
Well the title says it. I need your help forum.
For an upcoming game I want to play a Naga (the RCS version) who is adventuring out of his homecountry. The books I'm referring to are Rokugan Campaign Setting and Oriental Adventures for those who don't know.
I'm planning on taking up the Greensnake Bloodline ... mainly because (according to OA) it is medium instead of large

informations about the Greensnake Bloodline from RCS and OA

General Racial Traits (RCS p27-28):
- +2 Con +2 Wis -2 Cha
- Large therefor -1 to armor and hit
- 40 feet movement
- Immunity to the Shadowlands taint
- +2 racial bonus to Ch and Dipl. when interacting with other Naga
- +2 to Wilderness lore
- -4 to Handle Animal, Ride and Animal Empathy
+ women of every bloodline can change their lower body to feet at will

Greensnake traits:
- +4 Skillpoints at firstlevel
- Charismamalus reduced to -1

OA (p173-174) (listing relevant inf. here):
- Medium size Humanoid (reptilian)
- Poison (Ex): Fort 12 bite-> 1d3 first and sec. const.-dmg

My thoughts about all together and how to change it for 3.5:
- changing type to monstrous humanoid
- remove one attr.-bonus
- remove immunity to Shadowlands taint (settingspec.)
- Giving all Greensnakes (since they are the smallest and interact with humans and other species the most) the ability to change between legs and tail as a move or even a swift action (Ex)
[probably remove the ability from female of other bloodlines or give it every bloodline? / just of minor importance now but just saying]
that leads to two forms of mm: 1. tail: 40 feet but I'd suggest giving a -1 to armorclass because you are easier to hit (Greensnakes are like 10-15 feet long that way) ..... 2. feet: 30 feet like most humanoids
- (Greensnake) removing the 4 free skillpoints and maybe give them a racial bonus to Disguise (to pass as another race) or Diplomacy or whatever?
- (Greensnake) remove the Ch-Malus or shift the Malus to another attribute? (might not be the best idea though since the Ch fits good into the flavour and they already get better socialskills if you change the point mentioned above)
- giving a biteattack that deal 1d2 dmg and applies a poison which deals 1d3 Con dmg (first and sec.) -> Savedc: 10+Con

So here you got it guys ... would be great if you could help me finish this

Siltharon
2013-01-22, 03:26 AM
bump

any help or suggestions appreciated

Larkas
2013-01-22, 06:33 AM
There was an official update in one of the Dragon Magazines. I'll try digging it up for you.

EDIT: issue #318.

Siltharon
2013-01-22, 06:36 AM
There was an official update in one of the Dragon Magazines. I'll try digging it up for you.

really? would be great. I was looking through some forums and googled but couldn't find anything.

Larkas
2013-01-22, 06:45 AM
really? would be great. I was looking through some forums and googled but couldn't find anything.

Yep. And it even updates the naga! You're on the right track by turning them into Monstrous Humanoids, IIRC. :smallwink:

Siltharon
2013-01-22, 06:56 AM
ok .... that's the OA update but the Naga I'm talking about are from RCS. There it is stated that they are different and weaker from the OA Naga to make them a playable race.

So problem still isn't solved. Take this Thread as an opportunity to fix the race for 3.5! (I sill insist on Greensnakes being medium sized due to the OA description and them being smaller than all the other Naga)

Larkas
2013-01-22, 07:06 AM
Aw, damn, reading comprehension fail on my part, sorry :smallfrown: I'll take a closer look at it when I get home tonight!

Siltharon
2013-01-23, 01:50 PM
bump

anyone else has suggestions? preferably somebody who knows about balancing races .... otherwise I'm gonna start my poor try to find a balance for the race :smallsigh:

Larkas
2013-01-23, 01:57 PM
Eep, totally forgot about this! Have you tried using Pathfinder's guidelines for balanced races? They should work for 3.5 with very minor tweaks, just aim for a lower point total!