PDA

View Full Version : Best use for UA Action Points?

Story
2013-01-21, 01:58 PM
What are the best uses for UA action points? I'm mostly looking from the perspective of Wizards, but feel free to discuss other classes too. The free metamagic option has some potential if used with Persist Spell, but you're unlikely to have that feat unless you're building to abuse free persists anyway.

It looks to me like the emulate a feat option is by far the best. It does have the annoying restriction that you still need the prereqs, but that leaves a lot of good possibilities.

Extra Spell - Combine with Alacritous Cogitation/Uncanny Forethought to spontaneously cast any Wizard spell.

Arcane Disciple - With high wisdom, you can spontaneously cast some non Wizard spells too. Unfortunately, RAW limits you to deities with the same alignment. You can't even pick a cause.

Sudden Maximize - Free maximize if you have any metamagic feat at all.

Martial Study - For when you really need (Ex) teleportation. Also useful with Diamond Mind if you really need to pass a save and have high concentration. Unfortunately, you can't use this with Iron Heart Surge unless you already have an IH maneuver for some reason.

Action Surge - Rather dubious since it combines two different AP systems, but it may allow you to take an extra action.

Any other ideas?

Story
2013-01-22, 11:44 PM
Does anyone else have any suggestions?

andromax
2013-01-22, 11:52 PM
Check out Magic of Ebberon.

Dragon Profecisier + another feat (forget the name)
Let's you empower every spell you cast for free for 3+Wis mod rounds. Prophecy's artifex let's you use a wand you crafted as a swift action.

Heroic metamagic lets u use action points to fuel metamagic

Story
2013-01-23, 02:06 AM
First off, that's a different system, and second, you can only emulate one feat.

andromax
2013-01-23, 03:48 AM
It's the same system, and you can take those feats and get better uses of action points. You can even gain abilities that give you free temporary action points to fuel the feats.

Ranting Fool
2013-01-23, 07:49 AM
Wizard in my group is rather fond of using it to gain the feat Sudden Max (Because, hey it's nice to do max damage)

Very very nice on Caster level checks (which is normally D20 + level, dispel for example is D20 + level (maxing at 10) + Action Points)

The feats that improve summons and stuff is nice.

What my players tend to do is make a list of all the feats they like and meet the pre req for and have it on a little cheat sheet.

Upping the DC of a spell is nice enough too.

RoyVG
2013-01-23, 08:18 AM
Artificers can use Action Points to apply their Infusions as a standard action, instead of 1 minute or more. This allows them to be much more versatile in combat. There is a feat that grants this ability 1/day if you have no AP anymore, or if you neever use AP.