PDA

View Full Version : Bring the Litch to Life

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-21, 02:29 PM
What happens if you cast raise dead on a litch? Does it return to life, and if so what happens to the phylanctry?

Maquise
2013-01-21, 02:33 PM
Nothing happens; Raise Dead specifically says undead cannot be raised until they are destroyed. Liches don't have Resurrection Vulnerability like, say, wights.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-21, 02:43 PM
Is there a spell that can raise a dead creature while it is still undead? Wish? What if you destroy the litch and then res him before his phylacntry can?

I have an awesome plot based on a Elan wizard VS his litch self.

jindra34
2013-01-21, 02:47 PM
Is there a spell that can raise a dead creature while it is still undead? Wish? What if you destroy the litch and then res him before his phylacntry can?

I have an awesome plot based on a Elan wizard VS his litch self.

One its lich(E) not litch. Two they aren't destroyed until (at least, some DMs also require destroying the body) the phylactery is destroyed. And remember the willing clause of all ressurection spells. So no.

erikun
2013-01-21, 02:51 PM
If you can somehow target an undead with a resurrection effect, then yes, they become alive. The tricky part is getting the spell to work on the intended target; most won't work if it is still a character (that is, undead) or if the soul is somewhere else (such as in a phylactery).

One its lich(E) not litch.
Litch and liche are correct spellings for the word as well, although the D&D game term is "Lich".

The Viscount
2013-01-21, 03:03 PM
You cannot resurrect a lich, at least how I see it. The spell states that it works like animate dead, which requires that the soul of the living creature want to return to life. Liches become undead entirely through their own volition and actions, and as such, for the most part, do not want to return to life.

Demidos
2013-01-21, 03:05 PM
I Believe its called...spark of life (SpC spell)? Something along those lines. Makes creature living, for a while, but not too long.

Edit: There we go (http://dndtools.eu/spells/libris-mortis-the-book-of-the-dead--71/spark-of-life--1498/)

Starbuck_II
2013-01-21, 03:05 PM
Wish will work. Unlike the other spells it doesn't require willing.

"•Revive the dead. A wish can bring a dead creature back to life by duplicating a resurrection spell. A wish can revive a dead creature whose body has been destroyed, but the task takes two wishes, one to recreate the body and another to infuse the body with life again. A wish cannot prevent a character who was brought back to life from losing an experience level."

So resurrect says: You can resurrect someone killed by a death effect or someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed.

So you can restore with Wish.

Zubrowka74
2013-01-21, 03:14 PM
Litch and liche are correct spellings for the word as well, although the D&D game term is "Lich".

"Lich" is the correct term in English, with the plural "Liches". "Liche" is in french and "Leiche" ("corpse") is the german origin of the word.

"Licht" is german for "light". "Litch" is one letter short of an asian fruit.

Starbuck_II
2013-01-21, 03:25 PM
"Lich" is the correct term in English, with the plural "Liches". "Liche" is in french and "Leiche" ("corpse") is the german origin of the word.

"Licht" is german for "light". "Litch" is one letter short of an asian fruit.

So Litch is okay as a slur toward a Lich?
I always pronounce it "Le itch" not "leech" personally.

Zubrowka74
2013-01-21, 04:16 PM
So Litch is okay as a slur toward a Lich?
I always pronounce it "Le itch" not "leech" personally.

Oh but unless I'm mistaken it is pronounced "Li-tch" in English. "Leech" is closer to the French word.

Arcanist
2013-01-21, 04:29 PM
Wish will work. Unlike the other spells it doesn't require willing.

"•Revive the dead. A wish can bring a dead creature back to life by duplicating a resurrection spell. A wish can revive a dead creature whose body has been destroyed, but the task takes two wishes, one to recreate the body and another to infuse the body with life again. A wish cannot prevent a character who was brought back to life from losing an experience level."

So resurrect says: You can resurrect someone killed by a death effect or someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed.

So you can restore with Wish.

I beg to differ. It specifically says that it duplicates a resurrection spell which cites Raise Dead.

Regardless, Wishing for the dead body of someone who isn't dead (technically?) is kind of a waste of a wish now isn't it? :smalltongue:

Invader
2013-01-21, 05:02 PM
I beg to differ. It specifically says that it duplicates a resurrection spell which cites Raise Dead.

Regardless, Wishing for the dead body of someone who isn't dead (technically?) is kind of a waste of a wish now isn't it? :smalltongue:

Even if it did work and you managed to bring a lich back to life with a wish what do you suppose would happen after the prerequisite waiting period for the phylactery?

Kills the living human and raises the lich as normal, slowly turns the human back into a lich, nothing at all?

The Viscount
2013-01-21, 05:54 PM
I suppose in that situation you could also simply destroy the phylactery before trying to return the lich to living status. Perhaps wish for the lich to want to be human again, which would then allow for true resurrection. However, even that spell has the limit of 10 years per caster level, and some liches are older than that. If that is the case, the problem is much larger. Also note that there is nothing stopping the lich from re-creating the process one he or she is human again.