PDA

View Full Version : Alter Self (3.5)

Xcalibur
2013-01-21, 06:58 PM
Only RAW stuff please.

You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form (such as humanoid or magical beast).

So a human casting alter safe can only take humanoid non-monstrous form.

From the little research I made, I found out lizardman (+5 AC) and those azariel (elf with wings) were something great to get.

Anything else?

Psyren
2013-01-21, 07:02 PM
Troglodyte gets +6 so that's usually the AC form (at least in core.)

There's a handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871862/3.5Forms_for_Alter_Self) for this as well that should answer the rest of your questions.

satorian
2013-01-21, 07:04 PM
Um, just read this.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871862/3.5Forms_for_Alter_Self

Xcalibur
2013-01-21, 07:04 PM
You guys are pro.

I ain't.

Thanks!

Onerai
2013-01-29, 06:24 PM
Okay, so it was mentioned in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246548) a while back that whilst the Dragonblood subtype (as introduced in Dragon Magic and Races Of The Dragon) does not confer the ability to Alter-Self into a dragon.

I was curious however: if Dragonborn of Bahamut are still humanoids (with the dragonblood subtype) can a regular humanoid Alter Self into one? It strikes me that there could be some advantages to this, and maybe I'm wrong but I can't see anything preventing the assumed form from being a templated creature. The handbook on the WotC site doesn't cover this either, though that may be because there simply are better options.

Furthermore, if one can Alter Self into dragonborn (selecting aspect and presumably base race as you go), would the hit dice-specific benefits apply using your hit dice or the spell's 5HD assumed form limit? So, if I chose the wings aspect as a 12th level + character, would I able to fly without tiring like a 12th level + dragonborn, or would I be restricted to gliding like a 5th level dragonborn?

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-29, 06:26 PM
Can't Alter Self into anything with a template!

Onerai
2013-01-29, 06:33 PM
Can't Alter Self into anything with a template!

I don't know how I kept missing that rule, my bad. Ah well, cheers for clearing that up.

Barsoom
2013-01-29, 06:42 PM
Here's something interesting you can do with Alter Self

A familiar is a normal animal that gains new powers and becomes a magical beast when summoned to service by a sorcerer or wizard.

Additionally, the master may cast a spell with a target of "You" on his familiar (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.

So you can transform your familiar into any Magical Beast up to 5HD, within one size category of his size. I'm sure there's something neat that can be done with that. Magical Beasts have way more cool stuff than Humanoids.

Also, there's this variant:

Sorcerer/Wizard
A sorcerer or wizard might desire a more durable companion to accompany him on excursions into the wilderness.

Gain
Animal companion (as druid; treat sorcerer or wizard as a druid of half his class level).

Lose
Familiar.
So now you're a Wizard with an animal companion as Druid, which means the same spell-sharing ability as a familiar. So you can Alter Self your animal companion into any animal up to 5HD. Flight, swimming, burrowing, Pounce (Lion), are all yours for the taking.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-01-29, 07:06 PM
If you're not a Human, you could Alter Self into a Human for (level+3) skill ranks and a bonus feat you qualify for (certain feats can make a given skill a class skill). If you want to switch what skill/feat you get, just Alter Self into a different Human. Yes, you get racial skill bonuses and racial bonus feats when you use Alter Self. This allows you to instantly gain max class-skill ranks in any skill you want whenever you need it.

Cranthis
2013-01-29, 07:14 PM
If you're not a Human, you could Alter Self into a Human for (level+3) skill ranks and a bonus feat you qualify for (certain feats can make a given skill a class skill). If you want to switch what skill/feat you get, just Alter Self into a different Human. Yes, you get racial skill bonuses and racial bonus feats when you use Alter Self. This allows you to instantly gain max class-skill ranks in any skill you want whenever you need it.

And since Skill points aren't retro-active in most cases, this could come in handy.

Wookie-ranger
2013-01-29, 08:00 PM

Alter self give you " racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats" not Extra Feat.
Not sure if this works; but if it does then this spell would effectively replace chamelion2

Just to increase the confusion:
PHB p.13 : humans gain an extra feat at first. Different wording (extra =/= bonus)
However:
PHB p87: "a human character gains a bonus feat...". Same wording (bonus == bonus)

If you gain it or not, you will only have the feat while the spell lasts. which is this broken.

Asheram
2013-01-29, 08:05 PM
Alter self give you " racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats" not Extra Feat.
Not sure if this works; but if it does then this spell would effectively replace chamelion2

Just to increase the confusion:
PHB p.13 : humans gain an extra feat at first. Different wording (extra =/= bonus)
However:
PHB p87: "a human character gains a bonus feat...". Same wording (bonus == bonus)

If you gain it or not, you will only have the feat while the spell lasts. which is this broken.

Here's to wishing that WotC took the same care writing RPG books as when designing magic cards.