PDA

View Full Version : Need Build Help

ddude987
2013-01-21, 07:28 PM
Hello all,
I am playing in a campaign and am currently level 8. The rest of the party is between 7-8. So far I have been the primary damage dealer with power attack and warshaper. The party is very un-optimized. Even still, I am noticing a clear and very fast decrease in power as compared to the magic users. Here is my build so far:

Changling w/ Arctic and Dragonspawn(White) templates
Stats - 24/18/24/12/12/8
stats are from templates, warshaper bonus, and the two level bonuses are in Str
2 Fighter/2 Barbarian/3 Warshaper/1 Monk
Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Weapon Focus(2 Claws), Leap Attack
The plan was to continue the build with: 1 Wiz/2 Abjurant Champion/1 Soul Eater/ 1 Spellsword/ 3 Adj Champ/4 Unknown
I want to be able to cast 5th level spells by level 20 meaning 3 of the 4 unknown levels need to be arcane advancement. I was also debating taking another level in monk but that would have to be next level. In addition to all that I was considering 1 more level in Monk for Combat Reflexes and Evasion. I am going to be asking my DM to retrain improved bull rush and Leap Attack to the Improved Trip tree. I've been trying to find another PRC to advance my build in arcane casting but have come up without results. So I am writing this thread to try and have the community help me out and maybe critique the build as well. Any critiques on what I am considering doing as well as any help with my casting dilemma is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-01-21, 08:04 PM
FYI, White Dragonspawn was updated in the book Dragons of Krynn, if you don't remain dominated by the dragon that created you the level adjustment is higher. It's either +2 LA total, or an extra +2 on top of what's listed, I don't actually have that book so I'm not sure.

Your mental stats don't really support spellcasting, a 12 can only cast 2nd level spells. White dragonspawn already gives you Sorcerer 1 casting, so you should have gone with a higher Cha. That still allows you to use Wands of any Sorcerer spells, namely Wraithstrike and Wings of Cover. Maybe get a quarterstaff with two Wand Chambers and just carry it with out to activate either one whenever you need to.

HunterOfJello
2013-01-21, 08:11 PM
Monk requires you to be Lawful. Barbarian requires you to not be Lawful. You'd need to change the class to Chaos Monk to be able to multiclass both of those classes.

ddude987
2013-01-21, 08:11 PM
Well in the current campaign I am using the un-updated version. Also the sorc casting, breath weapon, and death throes have been eliminated and the flight mechanics were nerfed to 40ft and act like a raptoran except the come online at 10hd and then upgrade at 15hd as opposed to the 5/10 raptorans have. Also raising my int isn't a big deal, we rolled for stats and I had a ridiculous pb so my DM had me give some of my points to other players so he'll allow me to grab some back.

ddude987
2013-01-21, 08:13 PM
Monk requires you to be Lawful. Barbarian requires you to not be Lawful. You'd need to change the class to Chaos Monk to be able to multiclass both of those classes.

My alignment has changed throughout the campaign.

GenericMook
2013-01-21, 08:29 PM
You're going to lose your ability to rage if you become lawful. You can't progress as a Monk if you're Chaotic.

So using the normal Monk isn't possible if you want to keep your abilities.

ddude987
2013-01-21, 08:30 PM
You're going to lose your ability to rage if you become lawful. You can't progress as a Monk if you're Chaotic.

So using the normal Monk isn't possible if you want to keep your abilities.

So what are my options? I already have levels in Monk and Barbarian and got it okayd by the DM to rage and use unarmed strikes and whatnot.

GenericMook
2013-01-21, 08:33 PM
Ask your DM to waive the lawful requirement for the monk.

ddude987
2013-01-21, 08:37 PM
Ask your DM to waive the lawful requirement for the monk.

He has already waived it. Sorry for the confusion.