PDA

View Full Version : Fate Core

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-01-21, 08:07 PM
Fate core is a universal RPG system designed on crafting a narrative and emulating the nature of fiction. There are still a few days left in its phenomenally successful kickstater. It looks promising.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/fate-core

Hiro Protagonest
2013-01-21, 08:28 PM
Hopefully core will drum up interest for non-Dresden Files RPG games of FATE.

Also, wrong section. *points to subforums*

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-01-21, 08:36 PM
Hopefully core will drum up interest for non-Dresden Files RPG games of FATE.
I plan on running at least one. A fantasy game set in mythic medieval Britain.

Also, wrong section. *points to subforums*
Sorry. My bad. Hopefully, a mod will move it.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-01-21, 09:26 PM
I plan on running at least one. A fantasy game set in mythic medieval Britain.
My current idea for a fantasy game I'd like to play in is one based off the old computer game King of Dragon Pass (available on gog.com). It has unexplored territory, full of artifacts and magical sites. And there's monsters and dinosaurs. Who doesn't love monsters and dinosaurs? Especially triceratops, who the humans in the game call earthshakers. Earthshaker cavalry! Man, I really need to get KoDP. In the meantime, I'll watch Grimith's playthroughs. Maybe I'll also watch the rest of Deatheven's... eventually (he said he wouldn't get earthshaker cavalry, and there's also the fact that he lost in the end. Still, the exploration and the events and the raids are very interesting).

Anyway, what do you mean by "mythic"? Like, straight-up fantasy with wizards and dragons and ogres? Something like the Six Viziers system is the Magic Systems Toolkit, with great heroes that have the power to slay entire armies or do incredible feats of strength? Landbound drakes with the ability to breathe fire and giant boars with incredibly tough hides? There's a difference between mythic and fantastical.

Sorry. My bad. Hopefully, a mod will move it.

Just report first post, say it should go in Older D&D And Other Systems.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-01-21, 09:37 PM
Anyway, what do you mean by "mythic"? Like, straight-up fantasy with wizards and dragons and ogres? Something like the Six Viziers system is the Magic Systems Toolkit, with great heroes that have the power to slay entire armies or do incredible feats of strength? Landbound drakes with the ability to breathe fire and giant boars with incredibly tough hides? There's a difference between mythic and fantastical.

I meant a King Arthur Pendragon type universe. No really widespread magic or fantasy creatures everywhere, but epic scope all the same, with heroic protagonists.

erikun
2013-01-21, 09:51 PM
I backed this project myself, for the core rulebook and magic system. I am not too sure about the Compilation Books; they might be something I'm interested in picking up, but could be iffy and I'm not that inclined to be throwing on another $30 right now.

And huh, I just noticed the Fate Accelerated Edition Book. That would be very nice, as something that can be handed around the table for quick reference. Too bad it only seems available as part of a $85+ package, though.

Mewtarthio
2013-01-22, 12:08 AM
And huh, I just noticed the Fate Accelerated Edition Book. That would be very nice, as something that can be handed around the table for quick reference. Too bad it only seems available as part of a $85+ package, though.

From what I can tell, you get the PDF as part of the "Digital Expansions" at the $10 level. The addons section is a little tough to parse, but I think that you can add $5 to any level that ships physical books to get a physical copy of Accelerated as well.

obryn
2013-01-22, 01:09 AM
I've been backing this one for a while; I'm at the Gadgeteer + extra shipping right now.

Quite simply, this looks to be both one of the best-run Kickstarters I've ever seen and one of the most amazing deals in gaming - the Reaper Minis of RPG Rules. :smallsmile: What's more, we've gotten previews of the core book, the magic system, and the lion's share of the settings/adventures posted as stretch goals - so you can be pretty sure none of the above is going to be vaporware or drag on forever like some kickstarters can.

Edit:

You can add a physical copy to any level for $5, but the PDF is included for everything $10 and up. All the PDFs are included at the $10+ level.

-O

Xefas
2013-01-22, 05:21 AM
As much as I want the Toolkit, $60 is a little much for me to commit to at the moment =/. Still, I've been backing for the core book for a while, which means my email inbox is absolutely stuffed with all their updates about each new setting and what-not that gets added every few days.

I certainly hope the Fate Toolkit is available as a pdf afterward for some lower price. IIRC, the core book is going to be up as a pay-what-you-like pdf?

Zaggab
2013-01-22, 06:10 AM
As much as I want the Toolkit, $60 is a little much for me to commit to at the moment =/. Still, I've been backing for the core book for a while, which means my email inbox is absolutely stuffed with all their updates about each new setting and what-not that gets added every few days.

I certainly hope the Fate Toolkit is available as a pdf afterward for some lower price. IIRC, the core book is going to be up as a pay-what-you-like pdf?

As you can read on the kickstarter, and as has already been said in this thread, if you pledge 10$, you get the pdf files for ALL books and expansions funded through this kickstarter. It's a ridiculously good deal.

obryn
2013-01-22, 08:53 AM
As you can read on the kickstarter, and as has already been said in this thread, if you pledge 10$, you get the pdf files for ALL books and expansions funded through this kickstarter. It's a ridiculously good deal.
Yep, this.

To be clear:

At $10 or higher, you get absolutely everything included under this kickstarter - including core rules, settings/worlds, toolkit, fiction, and the Accelerated Edition. Higher tiers get physical books in some combination.

So no worries, Xefas - it's available for $0 in pdf form to you. :smallsmile:

-O

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-01-22, 12:59 PM
So far, I've only pledged the $1 needed to get the draft. Probably going to up my pledge to $10.

Draz74
2013-01-22, 01:35 PM
I'm probably leaving my backing at the $1 level, because honestly I'm unlikely to play rules-medium/narrativist systems like Fate.

But as narrativist systems go, it looks like a good one.

obryn
2013-01-22, 01:42 PM
I'm probably leaving my backing at the $1 level, because honestly I'm unlikely to play rules-medium/narrativist systems like Fate.

But as narrativist systems go, it looks like a good one.
It may be a hard sell for my table, too, but I know I can get them to give it a shot, at least; having a physical book will help. Even then, I'd say the wealth of setting detail at the $10 level is easily worth it even if I never get to play the actual game. YMMV, of course. :)

-O

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-01-22, 01:57 PM
$10 for umpteen game supplements is the best deal I've seen in a long time.

obryn
2013-01-22, 02:17 PM
Just announced: If they can hit $400k (which is admittedly a long ways off, and very possibly not happening) they're adding a "Lite" version of the Dresden Files RPG, using Fate Accelerated, for 2014 sometime.

And backers $10 and up get that PDF for free, too.

EDIT: The one I'm really looking forward to was unlocked like $15k ago - The Day After Ragnarok. It sounds like a beautiful take on a post-apocalyptic setting.

-O

Grinner
2013-01-23, 11:59 PM
Well, this is it. The final stretch. :smallbiggrin:

Con_Brio1993
2013-01-29, 04:13 PM
Decided to back this today. I remembered the Dresden Files RPG and decided to check the Fate website and then found out about Fate Core.

I probably won't be able to find people willing to play, or if I do find people willing to play I'll probably have to DM for a system nobody knows, but whatever I like reading RPG systems. Gave 30 dollars since I want a hardcover.

Eric Tolle
2013-01-29, 04:37 PM
They've hit the 400K mark, and so there'll be an accellerated Dresdin Files book.

And last six hours of the kickstarter!

Con_Brio1993
2013-01-29, 05:33 PM
I'm probably going to spend hours coming up with characters I'll never get to actually play. Maybe I can come up with a setting and story for a short campaign and beg my friends to give it a shot.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-01-29, 05:42 PM
I'm probably going to spend hours coming up with characters I'll never get to actually play. Maybe I can come up with a setting and story for a short campaign and beg my friends to give it a shot.
Accelerated should help. I know that one of the barriers most players have is "I don't understand, this is all terribly confusing", and even I personally read Risus, Wushu Open, FUDGE, and FATE 2.0 before learning the current edition.

Con_Brio1993
2013-01-29, 05:48 PM
Accelerated should help. I know that one of the barriers most players have is "I don't understand, this is all terribly confusing", and even I personally read Risus, Wushu Open, FUDGE, and FATE 2.0 before learning the current edition.

Honestly I first found out about the Fate system from the Dresden Files RPG, and I thought it was a brilliantly simple system. The most difficult thing was probably dealing with combat since the three stresses took a couple minutes for people to get. Still it seems a lot simpler than DND 3.5.

erikun
2013-01-29, 08:02 PM
Am I correct in understanding that Fate Accelerated is not out yet?

Sorry, I only backed it recently (probably a week or so ago) and still haven't sorted out where all the free downloadables are quite yet.

Grinner
2013-01-29, 08:13 PM
Am I correct in understanding that Fate Accelerated is not out yet?

Sorry, I only backed it recently (probably a week or so ago) and still haven't sorted out where all the free downloadables are quite yet.

Most of the previews can be accessed from Update #26 (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/fate-core/posts/392943). As for FATE Accelerated, there should be a draft available soonish.

obryn
2013-01-29, 08:47 PM
You still have like 2 hours left to get in on it. :smallbiggrin:

FYI, some of the backers added stretch goals. Once it passed $425k,

Jim Ryan about 1 hour ago
Ah, what the heck. Might as well go nuts. :)
If the Kickstarter hits $425,000, I will write up at least three of the settings we've created on our podcast, Crucible of Realms ( http://www.crucibleofrealms.com/ ) for FATE Accelerated and make them freely available to any backer who wants them!

parmeisan about 8 hours ago
>> a soundfile of a selection of his villainous laughs
Luckily, the one that most needs to happen seems the most likely to be achieved right now.
At $425, I'll finally get around to setting up a page linking to all my Dresden Files PDFs: PC character sheet, major NPC character sheet (minor differences), character creation, city creation, episode creation, initiative tracker, one-page rules, one-page magic flowchart.. that might be all. I've linked a couple of them elsewhere already but it would be good to get them all, and all in one place.

Justin D. Jacobson about 10 hours ago
Inspired by Carrie's lead, I'll announce a "real" silly stretch goal. After a couple of years of patience, I've finally decided to relaunch Dawning Star. And we've decided to use Fate! For those of you who don't know, Dawning Star was the first setting based on the d20 Future ruleset, a four-time Ennie nominee, and featured Helios Rising, which was, at the time, the largest sci-fi setting book ever published.
Here goes: If we reach $925,000, I'll add pdfs of all Dawning Star products to the Fate Core pdf package. That's Operation Quick Launch, Helios Rising, and the Shadow Falling adventure--800 pages of sci-fi awesomesauce and another $20 in value to the already-crazy deal!
More info to come.... (FYI, the website is temporarily down as we get ready for the relaunch.)

If it hits 430k (currently about $4k away)

At 430k I will provide an 11" x 17" mat in PDF to be printed out and placed mid-table for reference during game.

Also, Fred posted the Table of Contents for the Toolkit.

Creator Fred Hicks / Evil Hat Productions about 3 hours ago
Introduction
* Why we're here
* Rules vs Rulings
* The Fate Fractal
Aspects
* Other things to Invoke for
* Genre Aspects
* Gear as Aspects
* Statuses
Skills
* Professions
* Creating a Skill List
* Skills as Aspects
* Pyramid Alternatives
* Other Skill functions (Knowledge, Perception, Contacting)
* Skill Modes a la Atomic Robo
Stunts
* Other Stunt Rubrics
* Pricing and Balancing Stunts
The Big Game
* Alternate/supplementary Chargen Methods
* Pre-Compels as adventure Design
* Designing adventures with Aspects
* “Power Level”
Special Circumstances
* Chases
* Social Conflict
Grab Bag
* Stress
* Consequences
* Zones
* Refresh
* Dial Worksheet
* Modifying the Setting (Making big changes)
* Other Dice
* Scale
* Sidekicks vs Allies
* More interesting Unnamed NPCs
* Wealth
* Armor and Whiffing
* Healing
Magic & Magic Part II
Subsystems
* Kung Fu
* Cyberware
* Gadgets & Gear
* Monsters
* Gritty, Squad Based
* Minis
* Swashbuckling
* Vehicles
* Supers

Grinner
2013-01-29, 09:11 PM
FYI, some of the backers added stretch goals.

I think you're missing what these new stretch goals are really about.

At 10,000 backers, Fred will post a Vine video of him trying to hit the high note in a very rough karaoke cover of Mr. Roboto! Can he do it?! (Can YOU?!)

:smallamused:

Con_Brio1993
2013-01-29, 09:33 PM
So I MAY be able to sucker a few people into playing a session of this game when it comes out. If I do a good enough job they may be enthralled enough by the system to actually play more sessions.

However, I've never really DM'ed a game seriously before. I DM'ed twice but did no preplanning and to be honest I'm not good at it. I want to plan a big epic campaign but have no idea how.

It will have vampires, zombies, and a slowly spreading global corruption. Are there any forums where DMs can post campaign details and have people critique them? I have a feeling that my plot will have more holes than swiss cheese.

obryn
2013-01-29, 09:58 PM
At 10,000 backers, Fred will post a Vine video of him trying to hit the high note in a very rough karaoke cover of Mr. Roboto! Can he do it?! (Can YOU?!)
We are literally 8 backers short of that goal, with 1 hour to go. (Wait - F5 says it's 7 backers, now)

Edit: 4

Edit: Unlocked. Along with an open source android app, apparently, from one of the backers.

Polish those vocal cords, Fred.

-O

Loki_42
2013-01-29, 10:23 PM
Well, I just managed to get it, at the book level(wanted the Gadgeteer level, but I'm not quite ready to burn $50 right now). I'm really excited, me and my friends are all a little bored of D&D, and I've been trying to get them into playing something more story driven.

Draz74
2013-01-29, 10:59 PM
It may be a hard sell for my table, too, but I know I can get them to give it a shot, at least; having a physical book will help. Even then, I'd say the wealth of setting detail at the $10 level is easily worth it even if I never get to play the actual game. YMMV, of course. :)

Yeah ... I just gave in and bumped up to the $10 level last-minute. You talked me into it. Well, you and the fact that a check on my bank account reveals that I've spent less money this month than I thought.

Con_Brio1993
2013-01-29, 11:41 PM
Hmm, I've been thinking. How well do you guys think the Fate Core system would translate into play-by-post? Considering it highly recommends cooperative story telling and doesn't seem to have complicated combat rules, I think it would suit PBP rather well. Thoughts?

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-01-30, 12:03 AM
Hmm, I've been thinking. How well do you guys think the Fate Core system would translate into play-by-post? Considering it highly recommends cooperative story telling and doesn't seem to have complicated combat rules, I think it would suit PBP rather well. Thoughts?
The only problem is Fate Points. Compels require more back-and-forth between the players and GM.

Grinner
2013-01-30, 12:16 AM

I've been thinking about that as well, and I've come to the conclusion that it depends on the group. While nothing about it intrinsically requires numerous "steps" of communication (i.e. the extensive protocol for resolving conflicts found in some games), some of the rules are problematic when considering the flow of PbP gameplay.

First, Refreshes are reliant upon having the game occur over multiple sessions. A smart GM will determine when the players should receive Refreshes, preferably during some kind of intermission in the action. Butttttt...you can't rely on the GM doing that.

Second, Aspects need a constant flow of communication between the players and GM to be effective for anything other than Invoking and Compelling for bonuses and Fate points. The problem here is that communication in PbP occurs in chunks.

Say one player wants to sneak by a guard. Another player later wants to create a scene aspect called Loud Noise to help him out, but the GM has already made the guard's roll. Who takes priority?

I realize that it's not a great example, but you get my point, right? The smart GM will try to retcon something into existence and do so elegantly. The other guy, on the other hand, will be far more awkward about it.

Con_Brio1993
2013-01-30, 08:52 AM
Yeah it certainly has some complications, but then again what tabletop game doesn't suffer a bit when translated to an online forum?

Maybe players could use Internet Relay Chat in addition or instead of PBP.

Mewtarthio
2013-01-30, 02:31 PM
First, Refreshes are reliant upon having the game occur over multiple sessions. A smart GM will determine when the players should receive Refreshes, preferably during some kind of intermission in the action. Butttttt...you can't rely on the GM doing that.

The milestone system could help in that regard. Normally, a "minor milestone" occurs between sessions. The GM just needs to come up with a different rule for handing out minor milestones and do all the refresh there instead.

So I MAY be able to sucker a few people into playing a session of this game when it comes out. If I do a good enough job they may be enthralled enough by the system to actually play more sessions.

However, I've never really DM'ed a game seriously before. I DM'ed twice but did no preplanning and to be honest I'm not good at it. I want to plan a big epic campaign but have no idea how.

It will have vampires, zombies, and a slowly spreading global corruption. Are there any forums where DMs can post campaign details and have people critique them? I have a feeling that my plot will have more holes than swiss cheese.

Either this forum for general advice or Other Systems for FATE-specific. Or you could post in this thread. FATE seems like a pretty newbie GM-friendly system, what with the amount of player agency involved and the broadness of the rules. Don't forget to really exploit the collaborative setting-building rules; that should make your job quite a bit easier.

Be sure to let us know how it goes!

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-01-30, 02:34 PM
Actually, one thing that does help FATE for PBP: the GM never needs to roll. If they just use NPCs' skills as flat difficulties, the game runs just as smooth, because FATE dice strongly tend towards a result of 0.

obryn
2013-01-30, 02:46 PM
Yeah ... I just gave in and bumped up to the $10 level last-minute. You talked me into it. Well, you and the fact that a check on my bank account reveals that I've spent less money this month than I thought.
Woohoo!

I will say if you haven't checked it out yet, Camelot Trigger is spectacular. No Exit and ... crud, the post-apocalyptic one ... are really intriguing, too. I'm personally waiting for Day After Ragnarok, though.

-O

Con_Brio1993
2013-01-30, 05:29 PM
Either this forum for general advice or Other Systems for FATE-specific. Or you could post in this thread. FATE seems like a pretty newbie GM-friendly system, what with the amount of player agency involved and the broadness of the rules. Don't forget to really exploit the collaborative setting-building rules; that should make your job quite a bit easier.

Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Heh, the collaborative aspect could be my worst nightmare since I already have a general idea of the story I want to do. Maybe I'll have to relent and just let the players come up with what they want to do, and try to guide them in the direction I want to take. It would certainly DM'ing easier.

Draz74
2013-01-30, 06:15 PM
Woohoo!

I will say if you haven't checked it out yet, Camelot Trigger is spectacular. No Exit and ... crud, the post-apocalyptic one ... are really intriguing, too. I'm personally waiting for Day After Ragnarok, though.

Where do I access them?

EDIT: Never mind, found 'em. I already downloaded them, actually, before I upped my pledge to $10. :smallconfused:

Con_Brio1993
2013-01-30, 06:41 PM
I actually didn't like many of the premade magic systems detailed in the Magic System Toolkit. I think I'd rather come up with several schools, and let PCs invest in those schools with some skill points. Maybe make the school really general so a few can cover a wide range of abilities. Ex. Destruction covering making fire/water/wind/etc... and then maybe let players use stunts for specific situation bonuses. (ex. Fine tuned lighting gives player a +2 to use lighting based destruction magic to power or repair electronic devices).

Balance is going to be tough. But given that the game is mostly a group effort, the party could help decide whether an ability needs a nerf or buff.

I'd probably come up with magic disciplines based on player wants and/or story needs. Supernatural powers also exist in the story I want to run, but not for player characters. I'll probably just give the NPCs with supernatural powers some Extra represented by an Aspect or Stunt.

Hmm for magic schools I may just borrow the Morrowind schools of magic with some changes:

Destruction, Illusion, Alteration (will be combined with Mysticism), Restoration. Might throw in Alchemy. And might dump Restoration. Fate Core doesn't seem like the game that even needs a healer. I might just leave it and recommend players take 1 point in it. Or maybe keep it and if a player invests in it significantly make use of it to add drama. Maybe have players lose limbs in really dangerous fights instead of dying. Or eventually have a PC die, and then the player invokes their Heal skill + Stunts + Aspect to revive them.

obryn
2013-01-30, 11:59 PM
Where do I access them?

EDIT: Never mind, found 'em. I already downloaded them, actually, before I upped my pledge to $10. :smallconfused:
Yeah, the final versions will be for $10+ backers only. I expect some rules clarifications and actual art/formatting.

-O