PDA

View Full Version : Tier 3 Artificer

MukkTB
2013-01-21, 08:17 PM
Given all 3.5 and PF material, what class would make the best builder of magic items without going over tier 3?

Randomguy
2013-01-21, 08:18 PM
Warlock going into chameleon, using the deceive item class feature to craft anything and the floating bonus feat to get whichever item crafting feats you want.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-01-21, 08:24 PM
The 3rd party PF PF Machinesmith (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/louis-porter-jr-design/machinesmith) should fit the bill.

Feralventas
2013-01-21, 09:45 PM
Maybe just translate Artificer, use the craft reserve as GP value instead of XP value for crafting, then just avoid the game-breaking options.

awa
2013-01-21, 10:24 PM
remember the tier system just talks about options an artificer that just makes bad choices would play as if it was a lower tier.
(note i don't know enough about the class to tell you what those bad options would be. I suspect just sticking lousy spells in wands and possibly over specialization)

say a wizard who only memorized fire spells and had meta magicked fire balls in every slot higher then 3 would play as if he was tier 4 or 5.

p.s. of course if you are asking as a dm not a player then ignore me

MukkTB
2013-01-21, 11:10 PM
The Machinesmith looks pretty ideal but 3rd party content is normally where my group draws the line.

Edit - You probably understand I'm trying to be Wizard:Only Weaker. I understand I'm basically doing Wizard:Only weaker. My party is likely to say I'm playing some weird overpowered non legal thing. They don't have a firm grasp of the tier system.

MukkTB
2013-01-21, 11:18 PM
The Artificer might work if you can build it weakly. I don't want to have to play it dumb in order not to be way beyond the high tier 4 average the party currently is at.

Tvtyrant
2013-01-21, 11:36 PM
If you remove spell completion items and wondrous items it would be nerfed there I think. You would be able to make weapons, armor, rings and constructs but nothing else.