PDA

View Full Version : Need help with ranged/crit build

JosephBHZ
2013-01-21, 11:05 PM
Hello, everyone.
I'll play a campaign starting from level 15 and I want to play with a crit/bow based character, but I have no idea about how to do it.:smallfrown:

gorfnab
2013-01-21, 11:15 PM
Hand Crossbow Focus (DotU) feat + Aptitude (ToB) weapon enhancement + Blood in the Water (ToB) stance + Lightning Mace (CW) feat + Splitting (CoR) weapon enhancement = :smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2013-01-21, 11:45 PM
Hello, everyone.
I'll play a campaign starting from level 15 and I want to play with a crit/bow based character, but I have no idea about how to do it.:smallfrown:

Strictly bow, or crossbow? Bows have the worst possible crit range, so it would be a little odd to do this with a bow (though I've heard Deepwood Sniper can help).

Snowbluff
2013-01-21, 11:49 PM
Hand Crossbow Focus (DotU) feat + Aptitude (ToB) weapon enhancement + Blood in the Water (ToB) stance + Lightning Mace (CW) feat + Splitting (CoR) weapon enhancement = :smallbiggrin:

I think this covers it.

If you want to ditch the bow, I would suggest a Bloodstorm Blade to throw scimitars, possibly going into Disciple of Dispater for the bonus crit.

Curmudgeon
2013-01-22, 12:08 AM
... possibly going into Disciple of Dispater for the bonus crit.
That's a 3.0 prestige class, and its expansion of threat range applies only with 3.0 Improved Critical. In a 3.5 game the DoD Iron Power ability is trumped by the 3.5 restriction on Improved Critical.

Snowbluff
2013-01-22, 12:11 AM
That's a 3.0 prestige class, and its expansion of threat range applies only with 3.0 Improved Critical. In a 3.5 game the DoD Iron Power ability is trumped by the 3.5 restriction on Improved Critical.

It's an issue of specific trumps general. The name of the feat hasn't changed, but 3.0 version doesn't exist anymore, and therefore the Disciple's bonus stacks explicitly with the 3.5 feat. Ask your DM.

Here's an unsalted cracker, Curmudgeon. (::)

Curmudgeon
2013-01-22, 12:19 AM
It's an issue of specific trumps general.
It's an issue of specific trumps general only in a 3.0 game. It's impossible for a 3.0 class feature to be designed to trump a general 3.5 rule which hadn't been written at the time.

Snowbluff
2013-01-22, 12:34 AM
It's an issue of specific trumps general only in a 3.0 game. It's impossible for a 3.0 class feature to be designed to trump a general 3.5 rule which hadn't been written at the time.

So if we have a specific rule in an older 3.5 book, it can not trump a general rule in a later book? Doesn't sound sound.

TuggyNE
2013-01-22, 01:48 AM

Just make sure you don't get hit by death urge....

Olo Demonsbane
2013-01-22, 02:28 AM
Just make sure you don't get hit by death urge....

Heheheh :smallamused:

Also, make sure you get one of those quivers of infinite ammunition. Otherwise you may run out in the first fight.

JosephBHZ
2013-01-23, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the ideas, guys :smallsmile:

I wonder if a targeteer (fighter DMag variation)/ranger/deepwood sniper/peerless archer would work...