PDA

View Full Version : [4E]Demon Queen - IC

Pages : [1] 2

WaffleLord
2013-01-21, 11:50 PM
Grai

Honored friend,
Many times I have thought of you these past years, but could not bring myself to put pen to paper and write. Most dread receiving my letters, with good cause. Far too many have I asked to take up arms have not returned. Good’s work has been done, I do not doubt, but I, also, do not deny its cost. Even at your most controlled, you still only half-jokingly referred to me as “the death merchant”. I accept that.

And yet, even with these reservations, needs be that I must call upon you again. It seems these dances with the troubles of our lands were only the overture to something far worse. It grows deep beneath the Vale, faster than I can fathom. This is not a trivial matter of fruit gone bad or cities under siege. This is the awakening of true demonic evil with a mind to take over all we know. The Prince of Evil seeks to put his right hand in our lands, shake his bloodied fist, and put us under his thumb. The end of the free Nentir Vale.

I have sent word to three others whom I feel I can rely on. Two humans of notable record, a wall of a man and a dragonslayer, and a Hengeyokai who leads more than he follows but cares more than he shows. However, my resources are tapped. I have called in every last favor, last deal, last promise, to assemble those I think could succeed. But I have come up short.

I need you. Even as you chuckle at my gall to ask yet again, I double the offense by asking for more. I need your contacts, as well. I know of no others that can handle a task of this size. I listened to the stories you told at the tables of victory and sorrow in the past. There must be those you can call on to protect the Vale from the demons and undead that threaten it.

Gather any who would come to your side and meet me at Halfmoon Inn in the Seven Pillared Hall beneath Thunderspire Mountain when Sehanine’s second moon falls.

With great respect,
Donal Mercathy

PS. I’m sorry I was not present at the remembrance of the Captain. I did not think it appropriate, seeing how he and I parted ways. Despite his opinions of me, I always considered and respected Garithak’s suggestions, except, of course, his final one: Next time I should remove my head from the wrong way through an otyugh’s digestive track before voicing my ill-informed, parent-violating, fornicating advice. I paraphrase.

WaffleLord
2013-01-22, 02:20 AM
Boulder

Hail, Bugbear!!

Have these last few months of rest served you well?
Are the crowds still cheering your name in Hammerfast?
Does the dwarven ale still flow?
or
Has the itch returned to your clutches?
Have the voices quieted?
Are they asking you to pay for damages?

Fear not! Adventure calls!
Evil to be vanquished!
Lackeys to be throttled!
Save the Vale and BE A HERO…MORE!

Come to the Halfmoon Inn in the Seven Pillared Hall under Thunderspire Mountain in two moons’ time.

FOR FUN! FOR GLORY! FOR PROFIT!

-Donal Mercathy

WaffleLord
2013-01-22, 02:21 AM
Sim

Well, this is new.

Sure, you’ve made a couple of runs to the Seven Pillared Hall before. A quick jaunt through the old Reavers' side passage puts you at the Road of Shadows, away from 'tourist' traffic and watchful eyes. A nod to Kedhira, a subtle shift of packages and away you go. Shiny.

This time, however, it’s a new mark. Grengar vouches for him. Middle aged, non-descript human, male, subtle smile never leaves his lips. Needs a package taken to the Halfmoon Inn in the Hall. Fair price. No trouble.

It’s two days to the mount, in through the labyrinth, out the Road of Lanterns, and across to the Inn. Ask Erraat the bar for this 'Donal' fellow and head to the side room. It’s set up for a meeting. A few adventuring types sitting around and at the head of the table, the smiley guy. Donal, apparently.

He gestures to an empty chair in invitation. All right. Let’s see what’s going on.

WaffleLord
2013-01-22, 02:22 AM
Linnea

Grai!! Grai?

It is rare to receive written messages from your old friend Grai. She usually stops by any time she’s passing through. The fact that she has sent this paper instead of a hug immediately seems odd.

The words are even more confusing. ‘Evil’, ‘Orcus’, ‘exarch’. These things don’t enter your world. ‘Undead threat’! That rings your bell.

Are you willing to travel to the Seven Pillared Hall? For adventure? For undead? For Grai?

WaffleLord
2013-01-22, 02:24 AM
Garr

It must be a season for change.

When the messenger came, you didn’t even threaten him to leave no trace. You took the note and retreated to your loft in the trees to read. A short meal came first, although you’d eaten not long ago, almost sensing you’d need strength to deal with its contents. Second oddity: Grai. That half-orc from a while back had sent you an invitation to leave the forest to fight a great evil. She says several flattering things. Out of place.

Strangest of all, your mind wandered through the different routes to the Seven Pillared Hall.

WaffleLord
2013-01-22, 02:25 AM
Adrik

Geetings Lord Adrik,
My name is Donal Mercathy. I’m a tradesman by nature, but these times have brought other responsibilities to my plate. Where before I exchanged harvests for goods, corn for livery, now I trade information for services. Where there’s need of help, I find the talent to solve the problem. Think of me as a middleman, a talent agent, of sorts.

I do not presume that you have heard of me, but I have heard of you. Your deeds in this land and in your own lands to the north tell a story of triumph and of pain. Your experience in victory and near-defeat have tempered what once was forged steel and made it more than it was, sharper, stronger. It is that blade I am in need of.

There is a threat to our world. One of supreme evil that will burn the Vale to ash then spread to other lands. The Blood Lord, the Prince of Evil, is trying to send forth his reach in the form of a new exarch. We know where he shall come, and when. We wish to stop his influence from coming into our world.

You have lead before those who believed in you, trusted in you, bound by blood and loyalty. I ask you now to lead those who are only bound by cause. They may not listen unfailingly, unquestionably, without hesitation.

But what is adventure without challenge?

Outside, in the morning, you will find paid passage to the Seven Pillared Hall, a long days journey. At the Halfmoon Inn, ask for me. I will be waiting.

The lands need you.

With great respect,
Donal Mercathy

Ridai
2013-01-22, 03:57 AM
Mercathy,

next time, cut to the chase and stuff your lies and flowery bull**** up where the sun don't shine.

You need me and my buddies 'cause it'll be your ass and everyone else's if I don't help, 'cause there's no one else who can do it.

You're not hiring us. You might as well be crawling before us to beg us to do something. It should come naturally to a snake.

Grai

Also, I'm gathering my people myself. I have a certain feeling. If I'm right, I'll let it slide once. If I hear about it again, from anyone, it'll be your head.

--------------

In the Harken Forest

It feels like coming home, once again seeing the familiar woods again. She doesn't try to hide her footsteps, knowing they will be recognized. Once Linnea reveals herself, Grai greets her with a grin and open arms. "Hey Linny, come 'n' give 'is ol' lass a hug." Cheerful as ever and not taking her age too seriously. Same ol' Grai. Still, the years have brought a new warmth to her, especially towards the beautiful hamadryad who has been her friend her whole life. "Adventure's call'n'. Oh, 'n' chuck tha' lett'r 'way. Ain't gonna pull a no-show."

--------------

The messenger who brought the message to Linnea returns with another letter.

Mercathy,

I am disappointed.

--------------

It's a strange day when a half-orc knocks on Garr's door. This one, however, he knows. Grai, still as strong and lively as ever, is grinning up at him. "Ha, damn, ev'rytime I see ya, y' look bigg'r 'n' mean'r. 'Ts up?" Grai fondly remembers their sparring. Good times, good times. "That lett'r ya got," she shakes her head. "ya know me, I like it close 'n' personal. 'N' I wanna intr'duce some ****heads real closely ta yer mitts."

--------------

And another letter.

I am very disappointed.

--------------

At the Halfmoon Inn

It hasn't been that long since Grai's been here. Must have been after that romp through the mines. Of course, that evening is all blurry, drinking dwarves under the table and all. Bet they never thought they'd celebrate a half-orc lass. The owners already know her by name and what she usually has, so the ale ain't far once she flops down in a chair at a free table, waiting for the others. Even in casual surroundings, her armor is damn comfortable to her. The first mug is emptied in one go, but the second isn't far, though that one gets saved for a while. Brushing back a small braided strand of silvery hair, the muscular half-orc awaits the merry fellowship. Oh, and Mercathy. Good thing she has briefed Linnea and Garr on that two-faced bastard.

Thought I might play up the "seasoned adventurer" and "goddamn Paragon character" aspects.

As for Garr and Linnea, feel free to RP a little with Grai in those small scenes in the past, if you want. :smallsmile:

Phrenologist
2013-01-22, 04:25 AM
In the Harken Forest

The sunlight shining through the trees dapples the forest floor as Linnea enfolds her friend in a hug, the accent of Grai's voice still unique to ageless ears. Seperating, she smiles and tries not to notice the new lines on Grai's face since the last time they have met.

"I received your letter - I was, in fact, just preparing to leave and wing my way to Thunderspire, not expecting your arrival. It may take longer, but perhaps you would consent to travel with me?"

--------------

At the Halfmoon Inn

She sits in the form of a silvery white ermine and watching from Grai's shoulder, listening and observing before she feels comfortable enough to partake in the community spirit. Occasionally she whispers questions into Grai's ears - she has rarely seen a dwarf and not in their native habitat. She, too, waits for Mercathy and the others.

Ridai
2013-01-22, 05:00 AM
"Was hop'n' ya'd say that. I'm always up fer qual'ty time wi' my fav'rite gal." Grai's grin only widens, wrapping an arm around her back. "By th' way, that lett'r ain't mine, was writt'n by the bast'rd tha' tries t' hire us t' save th' day."

Silence.

Grai's loud laughter is as deep, rough, yet energetic as her normal voice, though obviously not as slurred. The thought of someone wanting hire for something only they can do in the first place or the Vale will go down the drain real quick. There is no end to her amusement. One does wonder if he will try to pay them with a few gold pieces.

"We gonna pick some'n' up 'long th' way. Ya'll like him, big upstand'n' were-guy."

-------------

Grai quietly quenches Linnea's thirst for knowledge, also chucklingly relating one or two anecdotes that cross her mind or stroking two fingers down the ermine's back to calm her friend. "Real nice fellas, once ya get t' know 'em. Bit uptight, but eh, diff'rent strokes. Th' lasses got fire, though, mmh." Another chuckle as Grai reminisces about her dwarven battle-sisters and the "after-hours" activities.

sournote103
2013-01-22, 07:54 AM
Definitely alarmed by the contents of the letter he received (and, admittedly, eager for the chance to adventure again, though he felt slightly guilty at the thought of being excited that people might be in danger), Adrik could hardly even think to turn down the offer. He followed the instructions in the letter he had received as quickly as he could. Not entirely knowing what to expect, he dressed fully in his armor, which, in conjunction with his tendency to remain in his hybrid form, drew odd looks from more than a few people, though he cared little about seeming strange; if he got worked up about how people saw him, he'd have just stayed home and played at politics like his parents had wanted him to do.
As he arrived at the inn, he, as the letter instructed him to, asked for Donal Mercathy, then took a seat, figuring that his informant would have no trouble picking him out of a crowd.
As he waited, he read an old war journal he picked up in his travels, and couldn't help but think of how much better a strategy the commanding officer could have implemented, though he supposed that in most places, even his own homeland, commanding offers were often put in their positions not due to merit, but rather due to their families being wealthy.

Irish Musician
2013-01-22, 01:28 PM
Garr (http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchQLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhj1z8QHDA), Rage of the Forest
Garr say up in a tree, one of his many spots int he forest he would sleep in, though you might wonder how the tree could handle his size, even as big as it is. He saw the worried messenger slowly walking through the woods, scared he might run into the "scary bear-man." Garr chuckled and leaped from the tree, right behind the messenger, making him jump quite a bit. The messenger finally gave over the letter, and ran away as fast as he could without looking disrespectful. That is just how Garr liked it.

Garr jumped back into his tree and munched on some berries and jerky as he looked over the letter. Only a few people know where I am or where to find me......I wonder....., but then dismissed it. He went on patrol for a while, and bedded down for the night in the village.

The next morning a knock came to his door, though he let the person knock a few times longer the normal because he wasn't ready to talk just yet. When he did open the door he saw someone he hadn't seen in a couple of years, though remembered quite well. Grai, the half-orc woman warrior who Garr has grown to like, trust, and respect though he would never say it out loud, was at his door. He welcomed her in and offered her drink and some jerky if she liked and listened to her story. "I will come, for you, Grai. I have not left the forest in a long time. It is quiet here, and I am getting restless. If I can help you, I will."

He gathered up his things, grabbed his axe, and started off with Grai, following her to where they need to be to meet this, man.

MiketheMountain
2013-01-23, 10:33 AM
Bugbear - Fighter (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=502036)
Bugbear Boulder, once-famous performer with the Wild Wrestlers of Faerûn, slumps in an old wooden chair under a tent, surrounded by the sounds of a birthday party for some wealthy noble's little brat. He's not sure what is more humiliating: being paid to lose "wrestling" matches to spoiled ten-year-olds, or that none of the kids even recognize him. They're more interested in a Halfling Bard who sneaks their names into adventure ballads (of course, the birthday boy always ends up as the hero). When the Bard starts into the third verse of "The Heroes of Halmaren", Bugbear can't take it any longer and heads to the food tent, hoping to find something to drink. "sigh... I twisted the head off of a dragon once." he mumbles to himself.

After drowning his self-pity in a couple pints of brew (smuggled in by the cooks), Bugbear shuffles back towards the tent with his mis-spelled name hanging over top. Waiting on his seat is a letter. Bugbear stuffs it in his pocket with a another resigned sigh. "Wonder what this job will be," he thinks, "Another bodyguard gig for some fat duke nobody cares about, but wants to look like he's really important? Or maybe some young "hero" found a another treasure map that leads no where, and he's too scared to go without some muscle. Oh well, long as it pays."

Another hour goes by, the damned Bard finally puts his bandore away and the kids run off to stuff themselves on cake. Since Bugbear's not going to be able to sneak more brew out of the kitchen for a while, he fiddles with the letter out of boredom for a bit before finally opening it up. The old grappler jumps to his feet when he sees who sent the note: Donal Mercathy! There's a name that always comes with the promise of adventure!

Hail, Bugbear!!

Have these last few months of rest served you well?
Are the crowds still cheering your name in Hammerfast?
Does the dwarven ale still flow?
or
Has the itch returned to your clutches?
Have the voices quieted?
Are they asking you to pay for damages?

Fear not! Adventure calls!
Evil to be vanquished!
Lackeys to be throttled!
Save the Vale and BE A HERO…MORE!

Come to the Halfmoon Inn in the Seven Pillared Hall under Thunderspire Mountain in two moons’ time.

FOR FUN! FOR GLORY! FOR PROFIT!

-Donal Mercathy

Bugbear shoulders his pack, tucks the letter back into his vest, stops by the house's accountant to collect his pay (the clerk briefly considered only giving him half, considering Bugbear hadn't actually had a single performance all day, but wisely decided against upsetting the excited brawler), and heads to town to jump on the first caravan heading towards Thunderspire Mountain.

Tegu8788
2013-01-24, 10:04 PM
Sim - Halfmoon Inn

"Why can't it ever be simple. Just for once, I'd like things to go according to plan..." The short man mumbles as he enters the bar. The quiver on his hip looks a bit empty to anyone familiar with archers, and there was a reason for that. Things had gotten, complicated, during his trip. "I told him if his hand touched metal, I'd end him." Grengar had failed to mention anything about bandits being keen on taking what was his, something Sim would have to factor into the next deal they made.

He looked around the bar, adjusting the brown leather coat he wore and placing his fingers in his suspenders. A brief conversation with the barman pointed him towards a private room. Perfect, nice and private. The Donal character appeared to be leading a gathering of some sort. If the man felt like he needed muscle to receive a package, that did not bode well the deal.

Pulling out his classic smile, he did his best to dissuade any tension in the room. Taking a deep breath and arching his back, he made sure his dagger was still in it's place. "I take it you must be Donal. A mutual friend of ours, by the name of Grengar, asked me to bring something out this way. Said you'd be mighty greatful to have this here package. I believe the arrangements have already been made, so if it's all the same with you, I'd like to take what's mine and be on my way."

WaffleLord
2013-01-26, 03:33 AM
Adrik

Not long after starting to read the war journal, the inn door opens, and in walks a human male of middle age. He stands about 5'10", greying hair and slight build. His weather-worn grey cloak waves weakly behind as he begins to stride towards the bar. At a nod from the barman, he turns in your direction. A smile of reassurance lights his face as he approaches. "Lord Adrik," he says in a warm and genuine tone, "welcome, welcome. I glad you were able to accept my invitation. This is a good sign. I am Donal Mercathy. I am told others have arrived as well. Won't you please..." He gestures to towards the hallway leading to the back rooms.

Grai, Garr, Linnae...

You sit in the backroom, visited infrequently by a visibly nervous server bringing what you request. On his last trip out, the door pauses in closing. A middle-aged man with slivered hair and a beaten grey cloak enters, followed by an attrative two-tone grey wolfish man in armor. The human looks with open pleasure around the room, greeting Garr and Linnea with offers of handshakes and smiles. His good nature sobers upon meeting eyes with Grai. He lowers his gaze and and closes to within eight feet of her. He offers no hand, but bows slightly and mumbles in a low voice "Thank you."

Donal seats himself at the long side of the table, taking a few sheet of vellum from a side pocket. As he unpacks, a man in leather armor appears at the door. His smile puts you at ease, but his movements and subtle weapon check tells you that this is no ordinary messenger. He approaches Donal, delivers a small package, and asks for payment.

...and Sim

Donal put the package absently into a belt pouch with taking his eyes from the bearer. "To speak true, this bauble was not what I really needed brought here. It was your talents and abilities. I have your payment here, as promised," he drops a small coin bag on the table in front of Sim, "but if you give me a moment or two of your time, there is another proposition I would like to tempt you with. Please, have a drink and, perhaps, a snack. If you would indulge me for a short while, I am expecting one more."

CUE: Bugbear entrance!

sournote103
2013-01-26, 09:11 AM
"Of course," replied Adrik as he stood up and followed Mercathy. "So what's this about? And if I might, what sort of people would you have me work with?"

Irish Musician
2013-01-26, 10:53 AM
Garr (http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchQLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhj1z8QHDA), Rage of the Forest
Garr eyed his surroundings wearily, he did not like being in towns and cities....they unnerved him. He walked through the city with Grai, and though she was the half-orc, he got most of the stares. Being as big as he was he tended to get a lot of stares from a lot of people. Especially if they recognized him from the forest, unless of course he was a bear at the time.

They eventually reached the inn and went in and got a table at the back of the room. Garr ordered an ale and started the night off right with Grai, toasting to old friends and seeing who could finish their first ale the fastest......and of course she won.....but only because he let her. At least that is what he told himself. They sat around and talked for a little while, drinking ale, when two men walked in the Inn. One was obviously Donal, but the other one Garr did not know and got a very shrange vibe from, making the hairs on the back of his neck stand up straight. He let out a very, very low growl for a moment, but then it was gone, not changing from his stoic facial expression once. Then another walked in looking dashing and confident......Garr was not impressed. He then waited for Donal to speak up and tell him what was so damned important.

MiketheMountain
2013-01-26, 01:18 PM

Suddenly the front door of the tavern flies open with a loud bang, and a huge (for a human) man ducks through the door and strikes a pose befitting a child's hero in a bad painting. Closed fist on each hip, craggy bald head turned up and to the side, and a beaming smile framed by long, scraggly sideburns, Bugbear pauses for an awkward (to everyone else, that is) second before throwing his hands up in the air, taking another couple steps into the bar, and announcing: "That's right folks: BUGBEAR BOULDER IS BACK IN TOWN!!"

Laughing boisterously, Bugbear smacks his meaty fists into his bare (and oddly well-oiled) chest and stomps up to the stunned bartender. "Tap the Bard and summon the barrel, there's going to be a celebration tonight! Now where's my good man Donal? Ah, there he is! DONAL!" The big Brawler grabs a mug of ale off the bar and marches over to the table at the back of the bar, where his friend is waiting with a very diverse and intimidating group of obviously seasoned adventurers.

Ignoring the others for the moment, Bugbear chugs back the last mouth-full of ale, slams the empty mug on the table, and lifts Donal out of his chair in an enthusiastic bear hug. Dropping his now-winded friend, Bugbear clasps Donal's shoulder and smiles. "It's good to see you again my friend."

Ridai
2013-01-26, 04:27 PM
Grai fixes a cold, piercing look on Mercathy, but eventually nods. Despite her muscular appearance, Grai greets Adrik and Sim with a gentle smile, almost looking like some sort of warrior matron. Eventually, Grai leans back, closing her eyes for a moment. Then Bugbear happens. Another smile appears on her face as she just listens to the whole thing, able to very vividly visualize what is happening. "Already feel'n' bett'r."

Opening her eyes, she looks up to Bugbear with a grin. "Oy, how's my fav'rite rock doin'?"

WaffleLord
2013-01-27, 02:07 AM
"Of course," replied Adrik as he stood up and followed Mercathy. "So what's this about? And if I might, what sort of people would you have me work with?"

Donal raises his eyebrows, looks skyward and answers as they enter the room, "Perhaps you should experience them for yourself."

----
Adrik

After Bugbear's entrance, while Bugbear and Grai reacquaint, Donal readjusts himself and catches his breath, then leans towards Adrik. "I've only employed Grai and Bugbear before today, though I've heard stories enough of Garr," he gestures towards the seated giant," and Linnea," gesturing towards the ermine desperately clinging to Grai's twisting shoulders as the half orc greets the wrestler. "Grai speaks well of them, their skills and reliability. The wild card over there is Sim. My network tells tale of his honor and work despite his chosen trade. Don't brand him a simple errand boy or you'll find yourself in a world of hurt. Treat them with respect and trust their instincts. I'll think you'll find yourself the head of a capable team."

sournote103
2013-01-27, 09:19 AM
Adrik took a few moments to consider the others in the room.
Bugbear looked like was not wanting for strength or... enthusiam. Adrik didn't notice him carrying much in the way of weaponry, though he did spot a set of spiked gauntlets, which indicated to him that the large human might be a brawler of sorts.
Grai looked to be about as strong as Bugbear, with agility to match. He noticed that the half-orc carried a spear, which did not indicate a specific battlefield position, but did mean that she tended to fight near the front.
Garr looked tough, and just as strong as the others Adrik had observed thus far. His large axe and choice of light armor indicated a great deal about his fighting style, though Adrik had seen his type before, and it was not his experience that they tended to follow orders.
Adrik could tell little of Linnea, as, for all he knew, she was a simple animal, though he was certain that there must be more going on, be it a transformation spell, therianthropy, or be it that the animal was intelligent and had some extraordinary ability. He made a mental note to keep an eye on the ermine.
Finally, Sim looked to be of an agile build, and his bow indicated that he was an archer.
All in all, the group assembled looked at least passable, given that Adrik knew little about Linnea. He would certainly have to talk to each member of the group to ascertain more about their strengths and weaknesses, but for now, he was confident that he could work with the group.

After taking a moment for his observations, Adrik smiled at the group, and said, "Hello, I'm Adrik Ratrin. Mister Mercathy says we'll be working together."

Phrenologist
2013-01-27, 11:22 AM
Linnea observes the group as they enter, one by one.

In her opinion, Bugbear seems to be the strangest of the group so far, although she doesn't realise that she herself is probably just as unique if not more. She feels somewhat unfriendly vibes coming from the brusque man named Garr, although again she doesn't realise that he is probably just as uncomfortable as she is and has no convenient ability to shapeshift into a harmless and practically invisible small animal. Sim was somehow more interesting then the others, a pull of similarity to the small man that she couldn't quite explain, and Adrik... well he seems nice enough so far.

She decides to meet formal greetings with the same in return, and bounds onto the table before rising in a strangely humanoid pose for such an animal as the common ermine. "Pleased to meet you, Adrik. My name is Linnea, of the forest you know as Harken." Suddenly realising that nobody else has said anything, and that a number of dwarves if not some of the members of the group are staring at the small animal speaking in perfectly passable common in a female voice, Linnea leaps back to Grai and whispers hurriedly in her ear. "I did say that right, didn't I? I thought that was how you introduced yourself in your language."

sournote103
2013-01-27, 11:37 AM
"Actually," Adrik replied to the small animal, "I'm not particularly familiar with this area, so I don't know of that forest. If I might, I'd like to inquire about your abilities, particularly in terms of combat."

Phrenologist
2013-01-27, 12:05 PM
Linnea turns from Grai's ear. "Oh, er, um, I'm sorry, it's to the south a bit, the forest that is. I'm, umm, not usually like this," she says as she gestures at her form with one small paw. "I am a dryad torn from her tree in the, err" - here she struggles for the right word - "the gravest of circumstances, but I'm not very comfortable in, ummm... new situations. I've never really left my forest before, but when I heard... Ah, but what you want to know is how I might help, yes? In battle I can call upon primal spirits of the moon and the forest to aid me, and I have profi fy hun mewn brwydr... what is your phrasing in Common? Ah, yes - proven myself in battle against the goblin hordes of the Daggerburg fort that raze my forest out of greed. Grai, my friend, will surely vouch for me in this regard."

She is obviously flustered at being the first person to answer a question, but rallies valiantly later in her answer despite language difficulties.

Ridai
2013-01-27, 01:27 PM
"Sure will. C'mon lad, siddown, get'cher self some'n' t' drink." Grai answers Adrik while gesturing him towards the table.

"Ya did, folks jus' ain't used ta talk'n' an'mals," she says in response to Linnea's question before turning back to Adrik.

"She's a real force o' nature. Can ruin a lotta bad fellas' day in one go from a distance."

MiketheMountain
2013-01-27, 05:25 PM

Bugbear and Grai lock eyes and squeeze each other's forearm, half in greeting and half in their usual test of strength, trying to pull the other off their balance without losing their own. A traditional greeting among their type, and one usually left at a respectful draw after a second or two. When Linnea speaks out loud, though, Bugbear turns his head in surprise, distracted enough for Grai to smile and give his arm a shove, almost knocking the grappler on his backside.

Bugbear catches himself and laughs heartily once more, loud enough to rattle the mugs on the table. "Well Donal, you always did say I ran with a bunch of animals, looks like this time it's more true than ever! HA!"

Without pausing for breath, he drops down on a bench and turns towards Linnea and Adrik, "No offense, friends; heck, people have long said I was more bear than man myself. I got more hair on my chest than some of the creatures I used to wrestle up in the north ranges. Never knew my daddy, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out there was a bit o' grizzly in him! Or maybe Yeti; I always have liked the mountains. Hey Donal! There anything to eat around here?"

sournote103
2013-01-27, 07:00 PM
"Oh, you're a dryad," replied Adrik. "I've met a few dryads before, though I haven't really been able to acquaint myself with them very well." With that, Adrik took Grai's invitation to sit and ordered a drink.
"Now, down to business: Mister Mercathy, what, specifically, did you call us all here for?"

Irish Musician
2013-01-27, 09:59 PM
Garr listened to the little ermine talk, but didn't at all seem surprised that she did. He had, in fact, suspected that the little one on Grai's shoulder was more than just a little fuzzy animal. Garr smiled at the large man that walked through the door and that seemed quite familiar with Grai.

For the first time in this meeting, Garr spoke up in a low, solid voice, "You do look like a bear of a man, but I wander how you would fair against a man that is a bear," Garr ends with a smile. He places his hand on the table for everyone to see, especally Bugbear. As they looked on, the saw Garr's hand start to change. It grew quite a bit in size, his nails turned into thick claws, and a dark, dark brown fur covered it. And then, it was his normal hand again, "You see, little dryad, you are not the only one here who takes animal form. Though my form may a bit bigger, I share you uncomfort in the city." Holding out his hand for the little ermine to sniff, and if she wished, to hop up his arm.

sournote103
2013-01-27, 10:04 PM
Adrik smiled slightly at finding that another member of the group was a therianthrope; despite his best efforts, he had never managed to meet another therianthrope outside of his own family, and he was the only one in his family to ever take anything other than a fully human form unless if proved absolutely necessary.
"I definitely agree that the city is quite boring; everyone playing at politics or trying to get rich. I'd much rather run around the woods," he said as he hopped out of his chair, fully quadrupedal by the time his paws touched the ground.

Tegu8788
2013-01-28, 12:05 AM
Sim - Halfmoon Inn

...and Sim
Donal put the package absently into a belt pouch with taking his eyes from the bearer. "To speak true, this bauble was not what I really needed brought here. It was your talents and abilities. I have your payment here, as promised," he drops a small coin bag on the table in front of Sim, "but if you give me a moment or two of your time, there is another proposition I would like to tempt you with. Please, have a drink and, perhaps, a snack. If you would indulge me for a short while, I am expecting one more."

Feeling the heft of the purse, he slips the coin into his belt before moving his brownish coat around, hiding it and his armament. "Here's how it is. I do the job, I get paid. You understand. You got a job, I can do it, don't much care what it is." He excepts a small cup of an alcohol produced from a fermented rice, and sips from it. Picking up a knife from the table, he stabs and apple, slicing small wedges and eating them as he watches the others chatter. Clearly he was intended to join this crew for some job. He'd have to watch his back until he could see what kind of folk they were.

Suddenly the front door of the tavern flies open with a loud bang, and a huge (for a human) man ducks through the door and strikes a pose befitting a child's hero in a bad painting. "That's right folks: BUGBEAR BOULDER IS BACK IN TOWN!! Tap the Bard and summon the barrel, there's going to be a celebration tonight! Now where's my good man Donal? Ah, there he is! DONAL!" The big Brawler grabs a mug of ale off the bar and marches over to the table at the back of the bar, where his friend is waiting with a very diverse and intimidating group of obviously seasoned adventurers.

Ignoring the others for the moment, Bugbear chugs back the last mouth-full of ale, slams the empty mug on the table, and lifts Donal out of his chair in an enthusiastic bear hug. Dropping his now-winded friend, Bugbear clasps Donal's shoulder and smiles. "It's good to see you again my friend."

With his back to the door, the dramatic entrance of the large human caught him by surprise. Ducking for a moment, he mutters to himself as he sees the bald man march over and join the group. Pinching the bridge of his nose with his free hand. "When a man engages in clandestine dealings, he has his preference for things going smooth. He will make things not be smooth. How come it can never go smooth?"

Watching as the various members around the table display their bestial abilities, and listens to them gripe about the city. He certainly had no love for cities, but not for the reasons they gave. Cities tended to have a standing military force somewhere nearby, and we was more than happy to stay just beyond the edge of their reach. If this group had a job that took him away, that was good. They weren't his people, but perhaps they could be.

MiketheMountain
2013-01-30, 10:15 PM

Bugbear watches first Garr then Adrik transform into animals before his eyes, and a massive smile full of child-like wonder appears on his craggy face. After a moment, he cracks up laughing and applauds. In between gasping breaths and howls of laughter, he manages to spit out, "That... that... that explains it! You're my daddy, Garr!!" Bugbear collapses once again into hysterical laughter, tears streaming down his face as he sprawls across the table, fist pounding on the wood.

When he finally gets himself under control, Bugbear wipes his eyes, grabs another swig of beer, and turns to their host. "OK, this everybody? Donal's Dogpack? Mercathy's Menagerie? The Furious Furballs? Bah, we'll come up with something better later. What's the gig? And more importantly, where's the food?"

Phrenologist
2013-01-31, 04:51 AM
Linnea watches the two in only mild surprise, her nature senses having alerted her two something about the two in advance. Sim similarly seems different, but she is unsure of the proper mortal customs involved in asking him, and decides to refrain from pursuing it.

As Garr's hand is offered, Linnea tilts her head in confusion before reaching forward and grasping it in her best approximation of a handshake in such a form. "Pleased to meet you too?" she hazards.

WaffleLord
2013-02-01, 01:03 AM
Donal

“It warms me to see that you are finding commonalities. I am reassured that I may have found a group that will work well together. I broke a few rules of polite society and abused some friendships to bring you here.” He turns to Grai. “For that I apologize, but this group has some rather unique talents that I believe will make a difference.”

“As your reputations’ tales tell, you know of the evils that have befallen our lands.” He glances in turn to various members of the party.
Bugbear: “Violations of the tiefling Empress’ tomb to the south in the Moon Hills”
Garr: “Looting and necromancy in the crypts of Westfield”
Grai and Linnae: “Evil, unspeakable, demonic business in the Harkenwold”
Sim and Adrik: ”Undead presence in the Shadowfell Keep”

“All these incidents, covering the Vale, threatened Nentir in very real ways. Each was put down, most by some of you present, with heroic efforts and deeds that have been celebrated” glancing towards Bugbear, “and, my, were they celebrated.”

WaffleLord
2013-02-01, 01:05 AM
“However, a larger game has begun. Yes, each of those battles was won and the evil plan put to ruin, but each time they fell, another brush stroke was added to a larger picture. In the Moon Hills and Westfield, the undead plans were undone but the leaders in each escaped with knowledge gained. The High Priest Kalarel failed to breach the wall between worlds in Shadowfell Keep, but the path to our world was found. In the Harkenwold, terrible experiments in demonic transfer were ended, but I believe it was merely a trial for things to come.”

“The Saruun Mages who rule here in the Seven Pillared Hall are convinced the events in the night sky foretell the rising of a great evil: a new exach of Orcus. His ascension would bring ruin and devastation to the Vale and beyond. No army could stop his evil juggernaut once started. He would blacken the forests, raze the cities, and leave a swath of devastation in the name of his Lord.”

WaffleLord
2013-02-01, 01:06 AM
“Normally, the Mages would not concern themselves with such troubles. The labyrinths of Saruun Khel have kept this city safe for thousands of years. It could withstand the holocaust outside and still provide trade with the winners and the Underdark. If the outside pushed too much, the drow would stand with them in defense of their most accessible connection to the outside world. That accessibility is the Saruun problem.”

“Divinations have revealed that the exarch’s arrival to our world would be a point far below the Thunderspire Mountains, the very stones that rest above our heads. The Mages believe the threat to be manifesting near the base of the Miser’s Pit, a shaft that extends deep into the Underdark. If trouble were begin there, it would be no time until this city would become the conduit of Orcus to the outside world. Not good for business.”

WaffleLord
2013-02-01, 01:08 AM
“Their offer is generous: 15,000 gold up front, 45,000 more on completion, each. Guaranteed safe passage into the Underdark and, possibly, a…uh” looking downward, he continues, “…second chance for those who do not ..completely…return. Of course, there are free salvage rights. Whatever you find is yours. They ask only for physical evidence of your completed task. They have ways of validating such things.”

He lets the words hang for a minute as he looks from face to face.

“What say you?”

Tegu8788
2013-02-01, 01:39 AM
Sim

Finishing his apple, slamming back the rest of his rice alcohol, he places his cup on the table, and looks Donal in the eye. "Well, maybe I'm not a fancy gentleman like you, with your... very fine hat. But I do business. I'm here for business." Placing his hands on his hips, thumbs through his suspenders, he stands with feet spread shoulder-width apart. He looks around to the others getting set to join him. they seemed like able bodied folk, if a bit rough around the edges.

Just how he liked it.

Ridai
2013-02-01, 04:08 AM
"Guess 'ey feel bett'r when 'ey can pay some'n'." Grai shrugs. She wouldn't be there if she wasn't in. "Hope th' gloomy-elfies 'n' undead fellas 're ready t' get 'nother spank'n'." It hasn't been that long since her last large fight against those. The drow are probably mighty pissed about Grai killing one of Lolth's champions.

sournote103
2013-02-01, 08:00 AM
"There's really no question," replied Adrik as he shifted back to a bipedal stance. "I'll take the job. Just tell me when to leave."

Irish Musician
2013-02-01, 12:11 PM
At the sound of Orcus' name, Garr lets out quite a low, low growl that usually only comes in some sort of his various bear forms, and his eyes narrow. After Donal's speech, he looks at Grai and nods. "They will know the Rage of the Forest soon, when do we leave?" With that he takes his giant axe off his back and a stone from his pouch and starts sharpening the massive weapon.

MiketheMountain
2013-02-01, 01:18 PM

Bugbear leans back and chortles, reminiscing on some of the truly epic celebrations in which he has played a central role. To this day, he has no idea how that horse carriage ended up sticking out the window of his second-floor room above the Soaring Hippogriph.

The brawler wrinkles his nose a bit at the mention of the Underdark and Drow. They're a humourless people, not much for ballads of heroism or wild victory parties. But stopping the rise of a new exarch of Orcus? Such a tale would be sung across the Realms! Their names would enter legends!

Cracking the knuckles of one fist into his palm, Bugbear's grin changes from light-hearted silliness to almost predatory anticipation. "Sounds like my kind of show. You got yourself a Grappler!"

WaffleLord
2013-02-04, 01:54 AM
Donal

Looking to each, a smile crawls slowly across his face. "Bless you, one and all." Reaching inside the satchel at his side, he walks around the table placing a small pouch and a necklace in front of each of you. "Here is the agreed upon amount along with a pendant. This baubble will identify you as a bearer of trading rights from The Seven Pillared Hall. That should help smooth the way with any neutral drow you may encounter. Lodging here at the Halfmoon has been arranged and a guide will meet you in this room at the second chiming tomorrow, about 18 hours from now. May the fates speed your return." With a deep bow, he leaves the room.

Ridai
2013-02-04, 07:48 AM
"Well, lads 'n' lass," Grai says, getting up from her seat, swiftly letting her bag of money disappear in her well-worn sling bag and putting the necklace on. "dunno 'bout ya'll, but I'm gonna go shop'n', sparr'n', dinin', drink'n' an' get some comp'ny for th' night. Ya'll free ta join at any point." Smiling without a care in the world, Grai rolls her unoccupied shoulder. There's a real fancy pair of dice that caught her eye when she was last there, maybe they still have something like them. Got a lot of things to do, no time to waste in making this a great damn day.

Whoever decides to join her is soon brought to her favorite shop, namely one carrying a lot of magicky things that kill things dead as well as other fun stuff. Feeling adequately equipped and not really needing the money, burning a couple of thousand gold pieces on some lucky dice sounds quite alright to her. As does getting her fine companions something fancy.

Specifically, Grai is looking for Dice of Auspicious Fortune (Lv 11, 9000gp if I remember correctly, Dragon 381). And some more sunsticks.

If she'll be able to get the dice, she'll still have 7000gp lying around that I'm willing to spend on you fine folks. If the dice are a no go, then I'll be able to spend 16k on you. I pretty much got all the essentials and the most I'd get out of upgrades would be another +2 damage or +1d6 damage on a charge or +1 to NADs and the like, so nothing crucial. Feel free to ask Grai in character.

Also, tell me if you feel like playing out any of the other parts. :smallsmile:

Ridai
2013-02-06, 02:08 PM
Grai is laughing a lot these days. Well, she did the same when she was younger, but just seems to come from a more gentle place, living and laughing with the world around her. Looking at her having a good time chatting with her old friends, it is hard to think of her as truly old.

Her luck holds true as she finds exactly the pair of dice she has been looking for. They have a fancy look to them, cost quite a bit, but "a wee lucky charm" is worth just that to Grai. A good bunch of sunsticks and a torch or two are also on the shopping list. Peanuts. Garr is the one shopping smartly, she cheerfully comments as she sees what he is getting. Looking over at Bugbear, she sees him look at bracers quite like her own.

"Those're real charm'n' things, served me well fo' years," Grai says, standing beside Bugbear, holding up one arm to show her own bracer that has seen dozens of battles, if not hundreds. What also doesn't escape her gaze is that Bugbear is eyeing his own moneybag rather worriedly. Smiling warmly, she takes her own moneysack and gently puts it into Bugbear's hand. "I hope 't's enough. Don' worry, it's a gift, sweetie." A quick kiss on the cheek underlines her words, happy to give what she has to make her friends happy. "Jus' leave me 'nough for th' rounds I'm gonna buy." Just as she came by, Grai is going over to Garr again, but also not without a look with that mischievous sparkle in her eyes towards the wrestler. Still good ol' Grai.

Tegu8788
2013-02-06, 04:48 PM
Sim

Collecting the pendant from Donal, he follows along as the group leaves the bar. Joining in the shopping, he lifts a brick shaped loaf to his nose, and sniffs it. "Genuine "A" grade foodstuffs." Further perusing the wares being sold, he runs his fingers across a soft, fancy, embroidered bag. It reminded him of an old fried, the deep reds and golds and the soft silky feel taking him back. Handing over some of his part of the profit, he purchases it. Sipping a few parcels into it, he is pleased to discover more and more space inside it. He slips more and more items inside, until almost everything is hidden inside. Securing it firmly to his belt, he follows the humans to another fine drinking establishment.

4 Stonemeal biscuits, so we never go hungry, and grabbed a Bag of Holding.

Irish Musician
2013-02-06, 05:50 PM
Garr, shopping along with the rest, wasn't quite as sure what to do as some. Taking some direction from Grai, Garr started to really shop for the first time in his life. Most of his prizes were either given to him or won from bandits, he has never really "shopped" before. Given what his patron had said, Garr thinks about the Underdark and what he might face....along with the undead. Potions to help him see in the dark like a drow, and to resist the necrotic touch of the undead. He also trades out his bracers for bracers he thinks might be better suited for the undead, which let him let loose fire upon his enemies.

Garr finds some other trinkets and jewels to help him. He sees Sim's bag and takes a look at one very much like it, and is in awe of how much he is able to place in it, everything save his weapon and the gear he is wearing fits. He too latches it securely to his belt. He then follows Grai out for, as she put it, "sparr'n', dinin', drink'n' an' get some comp'ny for th' night."

MiketheMountain
2013-02-06, 10:03 PM

Bugbear leaps to his feet with a cheer. "I guess that might cover our drink bill tonight, if I take it easy! HA!" Stuffing the pouch of coins and Drow sigil in his pocket, he follows Grai out the door, laughing along with the Half-Orc's enthusiasm for the night's adventures.

As Bugbear wanders through the shop with his new companions, the coins start burning a hole in his pocket. First he trades the gauntlets he had enchanted by Wagneri (the famous Eladrin Knight) for a set blessed by a powerful Cleric of the Raven Queen. Then he picks up a new pair of Dwarven-made heavy boots; expensive, but with really good grips that should come in useful in the dank underground caverns. Finally some over-sized fur-lined gloves with thick bone claws on the knuckles that slide right inside his new spiked gauntlets.

After stowing his new toys, Bugbear is just about to head back to the tavern when he spots a pair of forearm guards in his size. Well-balanced, looks like they'd leave a nice dent in the right skull. Then he looks at the price, and weighs his coin pouch with a frown...

"Those're real charm'n' things, served me well fo' years," Grai says, standing beside Bugbear, holding up one arm to show her own bracer that has seen dozens of battles, if not hundreds. What also doesn't escape her gaze is that Bugbear is eyeing his own moneybag rather worriedly. Smiling warmly, she takes her own moneysack and gently puts it into Bugbear's hand. "I hope 't's enough. Don' worry, it's a gift, sweetie." A quick kiss on the cheek underlines her words, happy to give what she has to make her friends happy. "Jus' leave me 'nough for th' rounds I'm gonna buy."

Uncharacteristically at a loss for words, the blushing Bugbear shuffles in place for a moment before grabbing the bracers, tossing the coins on the shopkeep's counter, and skipping out the door with an excited "Woo!"

Arms wide, Bugbear spins in a circle in the center of the street and assumes his best center-ring announcer voice, calling out to all within earshot: "Undead from the Underdark! Deadly and deceitful Drow! Bugbear and the Beastmen versus the Mystery of the Miser's Pit!"

"The Thunderspire thunders! The Seven Pillars shake! Howl at the Halfmoon Inn with us tonight! Send us off to face the evil in style! Tell your children you shook the hand that strangled the exarch of Orcus! Buy a brew for Bugbear and the Beastmen!! WOO!!"

Ridai
2013-02-07, 03:19 PM
It's a day filled with activity, getting to spar with old friends, eat together, drink copious amounts of alcohol together. When the morning comes, Grai is ready and in good spirits, awaiting their descent into the Underdark.

WaffleLord
2013-02-10, 01:56 AM
Waiting along the bar downstairs, you find Vadriar the sage, a slender, short man with a shaved head. He wears simple brown robes and has a heavy backpack slung across the seat beside him overflowing with books and scrolls. He raises a shaky glass with two hands slowly to his mouth and sips gingerly before lowering the glass. Vadriar turns with a startled jerk and eyes you up and down before standing and offering his hand. “M-m-m-m-morning. I am to be your guide. D-D-Donal sent me.” He spins and looks quickly behind himself then turns back just as sharply. Seeing your quizzical looks, he smirks, “An old troglodyte curse. Keeps me on my” quickly looks left and right, “toes. If you’re ready…..”

Simulated sunrise lights the cavern walls as you leave the Halfmoon Inn. The cavern walls of the Seven Pillared Hall swallow any ambient sound, making the awakening city silent save for the sounds of the merchants setting up the open market you pass on your way. Vadriar, glancing at every dark corner, turns south and walks directly towards and engraved archway built into the wall face. Shapes of minotaurs line the passage as it twists twice then begins to spiral down a ten foot wide staircase hewn out of the mountain.

WaffleLord
2013-02-10, 01:57 AM
Down and down the stairway descends. After what seems an hour, it opens into a moderate cavern lit by torches. Vadriar moves directly to one of three exiting tunnels, glancing once furtively behind him and lighting a sunrod. As you walk along behind him, he leads you through strange, almost alien, vistas. One corridor is lined with alcoves containing crudely carved figures of creatures or gods worn unidentifiable by age. Small dried or dead offerings lie at the base of some. Another cavern of solid obsidian, mined smooth, stretched upward past the reach of vision and torches while narrowing to only feet. One cavern filed with glowing mushrooms and towering stalagmites thrummed with rhythmic vibrations as if from some behemoth’s heartbeat.

At last you come to the Miser’s Pit, a near perfectly cylindrical tunnel descending straight down into darkness. Fifty feet in diameter, it has a solid looking wooden staircase built into its side. Vadriar gestures to the pit, “It’s your trip form here. At the bottom of the staircase you’ll find a single tunnel. When that tunnel ends, one turn to the right and three hundred feet along you’ll find the bridge to Phaervorul, the drow city. I see he gave your peddlers’ pendants. That will get you in the front door as valued merchants. If you need help on your return, place one of these stones here in the holes of this wall” He indicates a small pile of smooth rocks against the entry and a small niche in the side wall. “This will let me know you are here. I’ll be down in three hours to retrieve you. You could try to get back on your own, but these are not called the Minotaurs’ Labyrinths for nothing.
Happy hunting.”

WaffleLord
2013-02-10, 01:59 AM
The trip down is precarious but uneventful. Indeed at the end there is a narrow passage leading through the wall of the shaft. Sixty feet along it joins a larger tunnel. Turning right you see a long tunnel with soft light at the end. As you get closer to the end, you see it opens up into a tremendously large cavern, easily four times larger than the Seven Pillared Hall. Across a gapping chasm lies a city of short, blocky buildings and tall spires. Small trails of smoke rise from different parts of the city, mingling in the crevices of the ceiling of the cavern hundreds of feet above. The entire space seems to be lit from a glowing light from the entire ceiling giving the area a sickly yellowish tint. In the center, a fortress sits upon a hill looking down upon the rest of the city. From where you stand a twenty foot wide bridge stretches nearly two hundred feet across the chasm to Phaervorul.

Ridai
2013-02-10, 05:03 AM
In good spirits thanks to the last night, Grai heads across the bridge to the drow city she can't remember how to pronounce anymore, so it'll be Drowsytown from now on. No idea where to start looking, but perhaps something will come up. Besides, there are much smarter folks with her. Grai, personally, just makes sure that they are safe and that heads that need to be smashed will get smashed properly.

sournote103
2013-02-10, 08:34 AM
Adrik cautiously made his way across the bridge, stepping lightly just in case any sections were old or rotted. As he did so, he kept an eye out for anything of interest or note.

[roll0]

Irish Musician
2013-02-10, 09:29 AM
Gar crosses the bridge carefully, but doesn't break his stride, as if he is used to placing his feet around places that a foot needs not go. He keeps his eyes open and looks for anything that might be "hunting" the group. Gar does not know where to begin looking for this evil exarch in a city, but he is pretty sure he might be able to hunt him down once they venture more into the underdark.

Perception check [roll0]

Tegu8788
2013-02-10, 10:23 AM
Sim

Following behind Grai and Garr across the bridge, he walks with confidence behind the bruisers. He slips his hand into his new money-purse, pulling the pendant out, keeping it grasped tightly in his palm. He'd had dealings with Drow before, and well, most he dealt with were in the ground now. He had kept his head down, and with that pendant, he felt confident he wouldn't have any trouble getting into, and more importantly, out of, the Drows' city. "We stick to the plan. Get in, get out, keep going. Nice and simple."

MiketheMountain
2013-02-10, 09:41 PM

The battle between Bugbear's excitement over starting an epic adventure, and his equally epic hangover from last night's revelry, raged on well into the morning. Conversation stayed at a minimum as he followed his younger and more energetic new friends through the labyrinth.

As they approached the great bridge, adrenaline washed away the last of the old grappler's pains. Humming an old tune the bards used to play as he approached a ring, Bugbear marches ahead of the group with an excited grin. The Drow were no doubt waiting to greet their approaching heroes, and a good showman knows to make a proper entrance.

Phrenologist
2013-02-11, 08:07 AM
Down in the dark depths, Linnea shivers slightly around Grai's neck, despite the warm fur of her ermine form, her main comfort is her precise knowledge of the path back to the surface - a boon of her fey heritage. A blur is all that remains of the night before - consuming her first drink while still in the small animal form was probably not a wise idea, but there's not much point in thinking about that now. Instead, she tries to keep her mind off it by carefully watching the surrounds.

Perception Check: [roll0]

Ridai
2013-02-11, 09:08 AM
Feeling Linnea shiver around her neck (as well as enjoying the warm fuzziness), Grai gently caresses the ermine's back to calm her down a little, understanding her discomfort at being underground, surrounded by stone. "Shh, easy. I'm with ya, don' worry." Her voice is soft and comforting, a tone that only in the last couple of years has been added to her otherwise rather loud repertoire. Grai should have watched the dryad's alcohol intake a bit more, knowing how foreign that kind of drink is to her (and how low her tolerance is). Still, her trusted special anti-hangover recipes will need another little while to fully kick in.

WaffleLord
2013-02-12, 11:55 PM
The sturdy stone bridge makes faint thumping noises as you step across it, audible over even Bugbear's humming. With a slight grunt, Garr points to the outer edge of the bridge. Faint anchor lines of webs are seen along the entire length you've traversed so far. Linnea whispers to Grai, who tightens her grip on her gouge. "Keep yer heads, lads, somethin's comin."

At the far end of the bridge, first one leg, then another, and another, followed by a huge arachnid body, climbs slowly out from under the bridge. It stands at the far side, waiting.

sournote103
2013-02-13, 07:48 AM
Seing the spider, Adrik drew his sword and shield, and tried to spot any other hazards. Once he had done that, he attempted to identify what sort of spider this might be.

Perception-[roll0]
Nature- [roll1]

MiketheMountain
2013-02-13, 11:45 AM

Bugbear skids to a stop as the giant spider emerges from beneath the bridge. With one eyebrow quizzically raised, he turns and whispers to his companions, "Uhh, Drow like spiders, right? Do you think it's a friendly spider?"

Stepping forward a bit, he puts on a big smile and offers a hesitant wave of greeting to the creature.

Irish Musician
2013-02-13, 06:29 PM
Garr had dealt with some large beasts before, and on a couple of occasions spiders, that he drove out of his forest. Most of the animals he had dealt with were perfectly nice, but sometimes they were bad and wanted nothing more than to harm people. Though, in time, Garr has learned not to judge things based purely on their looks.

In an odd gesture by the big man, Gar puts his arms out and walks very slowly towards the spider, not showing any signs of aggression. He tried to gauge the spiders mood and what it was feeling as he walked to it, speaking, "We come to trade in the city, my companion has a trinket to prove it. Will you please allow us entrance into your great city, spider?"

Nature roll to find out what the spider is, along with showing it that I am not trying to harm it [roll0]

Tegu8788
2013-02-13, 07:10 PM
Sim

Seeing the giant spider, he watches has his cohorts take very different actions in response to it's presence. Happy to watch Garr take the lead and calmly approach the arachnid, the smile disappeared when the brute signaled for him to move ahead on his own. "This is exactly what I didn't want. I wanted simple, I wanted in-and-out, I wanted easy money." Drawing the pendant from his enchanted bag, he cautiously but confidently walks forward, holding the item he hopes to protect him in an easy to see way, but with each step he prepares to pull a Crazy Ivan.

Ridai
2013-02-14, 01:06 AM
Grai keeps walking, albeit at a more leisurely pace. If nothing else, to close the distance enough to intercept the spider early.

Berserker's Charge activated.

Readied action to charge (speed 12) at the spider if it turns hostile and comes into range.

WaffleLord
2013-02-15, 12:00 AM
Adrik
That is one big neck tickler. Never seen its like before, but it sure looks capable.Stepping forward cautiously, eyes everywhere, you catch a flicker of motion of the web anchors Garr had pointed out earlier. Something's down there still, hiding. Trouble.

Garr
The arachnid's size and shape do not surprise you but the colorations do not match any you've seen before. That concerns you. Variety in species is not unheard of, but something out of your experience is unusual.

WaffleLord
2013-02-15, 12:38 AM
Seemingly in response to your to Bugbear and Garr's greeting the huge spider raises two of its forelegs in similar gesture.

However, as you reach the center of the bridge its posture changes. Its forelegs drop as it lowers its entire body towards the ground, seemingly to get ready to pounce.

You hear the scurrying of what sounds to be hundreds of spiders as furred legs erupt over the edges of the bridge. The creatures appear to be nothing but legs, as if a double spider without a body. One, two three, four scuttle over the edge of the bridge behind Bugbear and Adrik.

Unless Adrik alerts others to his suspicions, he is the only one not surprised. As Grai was readied, if you think the spider's posturing would have triggered your charge, have at it. If not, your 36 is probably going first after the leggies surprise anyway, but the spider already looks "readied".
Let's roll!
Big ass spider - [roll0]
Leggies - [roll1]

EDIT: Let's assume Adrik would have called out, experienced leader and all that. And it was pointed out that charging out of range would be useless.

Ridai
2013-02-16, 02:11 PM
Grai grins, her leg muscles tense, ready. Just a little closer, little spider. Just a little closer.

Grai stays readied with her charge. Once the big spider can be reached with 12 squares of movement, she'll charge. If possible, she'll stay as much in the middle of the bridge as possible.

Attack [roll0] vs. Reflex
Hit: Power Strike and Furious Assault are triggered. [roll1] radiant damage (brutal 1) and knock prone.
Brutal dice: [roll2]

When attacked and missed, Counterstrike Guards are triggered and Grai attacks the enemy with an MBA.
When attacked and hit, Strikebacks are triggered and Grai attacks the enemy with an MBA.
When first bloodied, Backlash Tattoo is triggered and Grai makes an MBA.

WaffleLord
2013-02-16, 08:29 PM
The huge arachnid scurries forward, its long legs covering the distance quickly. At almost the same moment, Grai charges forward yelling with a combination of rage and laughter. They meet in a flash of legs, teeth, and flying blades. The spider's nimble legs just miss being chopped in twain. The entire body lunges forward to get its head closer to the half-orc. Fangs flash as it strikes at Grai. Blood and poison drip from where its teeth make contact. She feels its venom surging through her body, slowing her mind and burning.

Spider bite - [roll0] vs AC - hit
Damage - [roll1], ongoing 10 poison and slowed(one save ends both)

INIT
BA SPIDER
Grai
Adrik
Sim
Garr
Linnea
LEGGIES
Bugbear

Tegu8788
2013-02-16, 10:10 PM
Sim

His hand flying to his hip, he pulls his bow from it's holster. Pointer and forefinger pinch an arrow, he lifts the bow over his head, he draws the string while notching it, smoothly leveling his weapon at the large arachnid before him. With a deep breath, he extends his awareness, honing his mind to the situation at hand. The spider's attack had just brought it within optimal range, and with a grin, he quickly looses his arrow.

Watching the shaft sink into the soft flesh of the spider's joints, he grins as the spider suffers from toxic sting itself. He glances at the rest of his crew, eager to see how they handle themselves in combat. "Look alive people, things are likely to get mighty interesting here in a moment."

Minor: Activate Skald Aura
Effect: You activate an aura 5 that lasts until the end of the encounter. If the aura ends prematurely for any reason, you can reactivate it during the encounter as a minor action.
Once an encounter, you or any ally in the aura can use a minor action to spend a healing surge and regain 4d6 additional hit points. Alternatively, you or any ally can use a minor action to allow an adjacent ally to spend a healing surge and regain the additional hit points.

Minor: Bolstering Speech
Effect: Until the end of the encounter or until you use another bard at-will attack power, your skald’s aura gains the following effect: Each time you hit an enemy with a basic attack, one of your allies (Bugbear) in the aura gains temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier (6).

Standard: RBA versus the BA Spider's AC
Attack: [roll0]
Hit: [roll1] damage.

If I hit, use Assassin Strike (7d10 damage), Flash of Distraction (dazed/-2 attack rolls EoNT), and Venom Hand Assassin (2d8 poison damage).
If able, use Shield of Devotion.
Prep Smoke Bomb to to run away, triggering Shadow Walk.

Also, let it be known I am an educator, who regularly handles tarantulas. I will keep my bio-physics mouth shut, and apologizes if I fail to do so.

Irish Musician
2013-02-17, 01:32 AM
Those that notice Garr before he attacks, sees a big grin on his face. Noticing the spiders behind them, he yells, "They look lonely, I shall give them some company!!!" Then he charges them, and all at once he seems to turn into something. He isn't fully a bear, but nor is he fully a man. Quickly, hair sprouts from his body, his hands and feet turn into those of a bear's but with greater dexterity, and his face contorts into that of a bear, but still with his features underneath. This mighty beast charges past Bugbear and Adrik, letting out a mighty roar, and swinging his axe at the first bit of legs he comes to on the bridge.

Actions
Minor - Bear form (Hybrid) +1 to AC and Fort while in the form.
Free - Daily power from Boots of Mighty Charge, use any at-will or encounter attack power
Standard - Charge legs at I15 and landing at J16, against AC and using Vigorous Strike
[roll0]
Damage - [roll1] [roll2] for my helm (rolled with the Brutal 2 for my d12's in mind, 1d10, with 2 added to damage for each 1[W], +21 for charging with +6 for the "brutal fix". Don't want to roll all over again for brutals, so this is how I am going to roll it), and I gain 21 THP's

Also, When I charge, I gain a +2 bonus to AC until the end of your next turn, due to my armor.

Ridai
2013-02-17, 09:26 AM
Age does seem to slow Grai down in that very moment, missing her big target and getting hit herself. Laughing it off, Grai swings right back at the spider, not simply letting that attack stand.

Trigger Strikebacks as an immediate reaction to the hit for a MBA (prior to Linnea's bonuses).

Attack [roll0] vs. Reflex
Hit: Power Strike and Furious Assault are triggered. [roll1] radiant damage (brutal 1) and knock prone.
Grai's gouge slams into the spider in a thunderous collision, slamming it's body right onto the stone bridge.

WaffleLord
2013-02-18, 01:31 AM
Leggies

Skittering forward with a flurry of legs, the cursed creatures pounce on those nearest them, stabbing with the pointed end of their furry legs. The bear is lanced with two legs of the nearest thing and thrown towards the side of the bridge while the second aberration digs in and wraps him up on the edge. Adrik, too, is impaled and thrown towards the edge, but the second attack fails and Adrik regains his guard and freedom.

Leg01 - Claw vs Garr AC(34) - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1] and slid to I14.

Leg02 -Shift to I15
Claw vs Garr AC(34) - [roll2]
Damage - [roll3] and grabbed.

Leg03 - Move to M17
Claw vs Adrik AC(33) - [roll4]
Damage - [roll5] and slid to N18.

Leg-4 - Move to L17
Claw vs Adrik AC(33) - [roll6]
Damage - [roll7]

Ridai
2013-02-18, 08:57 AM
Grai, enduring the poison, steps right in front of the downed spider and raises her shining gouge above her head. The next moment, she is savagely hacking down onto it, a bestial grunt accompanying every blow that would turn a normal human into chunky red paste.

Since Ready Action puts the character right before the creature you ready against in the initiative order, I guess I can take my turn now.

All attacks include CA because of the prone spider and the +5 damage against it from Headman's Chop

Minor Switch to Duelist's Stance (+6 damage vs. the spider)

Standard Rain of Blows, three attacks against the spider
Attack 1 [roll0] vs. AC
Hit: [roll1] radiant damage (brutal 1)

Attack 2 [roll3] vs. AC
Hit: [roll4] radiant damage (brutal 1)
Brutal dice: [roll5]

Attack 3 [roll6] vs. AC
Hit: [roll7] radiant damage (brutal 1)
Brutal dice: [roll8]

--------------------
When one of the above attacks hits:

No Action Power Strike
adds [roll9] damage to one attack
Brutal dice: [roll10]

Minor Sohei Flurry
[roll11] vs. AC
Hit: [roll12] radiant damage (brutal 1)
Brutal dice: [roll13]
--------------------

Save against the poison: [roll14]

sournote103
2013-02-18, 09:55 PM
Adrik grimaced at the position into which he had been forced. While not necessarily incapable in single combat, he excelled when he had allies nearby. Nevertheless, it was a simple matter to disengage from the spiders currently nearest to him, and from there he could easily have his choice of target.
For the moment, he slashed at the nearest spider with his sword while altering Garr to an opening in the defenses of the enemy nearest him. Then, he backed away from the smaller spiders and shifted into his quadrupedal form so that he could move to other targets more quickly.

So I'm not 100% sure how to check if an attack hits using the combat tracker, so if someone could just let me know the proper way to do that, that would be good.

Standard action- Surprise Attack on spider 3, granting Garr a free MBA with combat advantage and a +5 bonus against a target of his choice
Move action- Shift to O17
Minor action- Body of the Wolf

Attack roll- [roll0]
Damage roll- [roll1] damage

Phrenologist
2013-02-18, 10:49 PM
A flurry of action around Grai's neck resolves itself into the form of Linnea, appearing for the first time in dryad form dodging backwards from the clash between Grai and the giant spider.

As she moves, a moment of concentration and her hands begin to glow with a pearly radiance. Slowly she begins to spin, each hand moving in short sharp slashes through the air as if attacking a horde of invisible enemies yet each movement leaving a blade-like trail of radiance that fly out and converge around the giant spider, tearing ineffectually at the creature's carapace before dissipating.

Linnea moves to W11 (7 squares) before casting Smiting Blades centered around the giant spider. If a target hit by this ability hits or misses me or an ally before the end of my next turn, it falls prone and is slowed until the end of next turn.

To Hit:[roll0] vs Fortitude
Damage: [roll1] radiant damage

EDIT: And it's a miss. Bugger.

MiketheMountain
2013-02-19, 04:24 PM

The awkward uncertainty of what was expected of the wrestler vanished the moment it became clear that these beasts were not interested in exchanging pleasantries. Bugbear's smile grows even wider as four more creatures appear behind him. The big spider looks like it'd be fun to toss around for a while, but Bugbear doubts there'll be much left to play with after Grai has her way with the poor sucker!

Bugbear his attention back to the strange multi-limbed things scuttling all around him. Pulling down hard on each of his long sideburns, the old scrapper sticks out his tongue, opens his eyes wide, and lets roar with a mighty battle cry. Adrenaline courses through him, and he seems to grow even larger (and somehow hairier?) as he swells with excitement. Reaching into his pack, Bugbear pulls out a thick staff, clawed at one end for a base and a tattered flag unfurling from the top featuring a smiling dragon's face flanked by twin initial "D"'s; Dragon Don's old battle standard, that used to fly proudly above their travelling show.

When Bugbear plants the pole into the bridge, for a brief second a four-posted gladiator's ring flashes into existence around him, and from somewhere far away he hears his old manager's voice echo, "Let's get ready to RUMBLLLLLLE..." The strange creatures, initially occupied with attacking his allies, are compelled to turn and face the warrior, who follows up his challenge with another lustful howl and two mighty swings of his arms.

Tabletop:Minor Action: Bear Shape. Assume human-bear hybrid form, +1 power bonus to AC (35) and Fortitude (40).

Move Action -> Minor Action: Draw Battle Standard of the Hungry Blade

Standard Action: Plant Battle Standard of the Hungry Blade in L15
Burst 3
"Enemies within the zone when it is created or within the zone at the start of your turn are pulled 2 squares toward the battle standard and slowed until the start of your next turn."
Leggy 1 is pulled to K16
Leggy 2 is pulled to K15
Leggy 3 is pulled to M16
Leggy 4 is pulled to L16

Action Point -> Standard Action: Hydra Charge against Leggy 1, 2, 3, 4
Burst 1
Leggy 1: Attack vs AC [roll0]
Leggy 2: Attack vs AC [roll1]
Leggy 3: Attack vs AC [roll2]
Leggy 4: Attack vs AC [roll3]
Hit: [roll4] Damage (Radiant) and the target takes -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn. Target is knocked prone.

EDIT: Reroll on Leggy 4 (hit with 40 vs AC) and critical hit damage (total 31) on Leggy 2 rolled in OOC post here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14744084&postcount=178)

Leggy 1 is marked by Bugbear
Leggy 2 is marked by Bugbear
Leggy 3 is marked by Bugbear
Leggy 4 is marked by Bugbear
Combat Notes:
Whenever Bugbear hits a slowed or immobilized target with an attack, he can knock it prone. (World Serpent's Grasp, feat)
Enemies adjacent to Bugbear can not shift into a square not adjacent to Bugbear. (Whirlwind of Destruction, Paragon Path feature)
Bugbear does not grant Combat Advantage from being flanked. (Eyes in the Back of Your Head, feat)
When Bugbear is pulled, pushed, or slid, he reduces the distance by 2. (Defiant Boots)
Statblock:Bugbear Boulder (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=502036), Human Fighter (Brawler), Gladiator Champion
Init +12 HP 124/124 Bloodied 62 Healing Surge 31 (0 used /10)
AC 35 Fort 40 Reflex 26 Will 28 Speed 6
Str 24 (+7) Con 13 (+1) Dex 14 (+2) Int 9 (-1) Wis 11 (0) Cha 15 (+2)

Temporary Hit Points: 6
Conditions: none

WaffleLord
2013-02-20, 12:24 AM
BA Spider
Flailing on the ground, the spider dizzily attempts to stand and attack, but has no sense of direction and snaps wildly. It regains its feet, seems to find its balance, and turns again to face the half-orc.

Dazed - one action
move action to stand

Go, Sim and Garr!

Irish Musician
2013-02-20, 12:31 PM
Garr, grabbed by the legs, lets out a great roar, and were you to look down his throat during this roar, you would see a faint ember burning in the back of his throat. He tries to break free of the legs, but isn't able to, which frustrates him. You see his great bear's mouth open up again, but instead of sound coming out, you see fire shoot out, engulfing the legs and accidentally singing Bugbear a little. Then Garr raises his mighty axe, "Get off of me you legs of the underworld!!!" He brings down his axe, and the legs somehow get out of the way of it....for a moment. Thinking his axe was done moving they didn't see it coming back and delivering a devastating blow to them, spurting blood everywhere and filling them with radiant energies.

Actions
Move - Escape the grab Athletics vs either a DC for the grab or FORT [roll0], if he escapes he can shift to J15
Minor - Flask of the Dragon's Beath attack vs Ref, close blast 3 stretching from K14 to M17
Bugbear - [roll1]
Leg1 - [roll2]
Leg2 - [roll3]
Leg3 - [roll4]
Leg4 - [roll5]
Damage - [roll6] fire damage
Standard - Rage Strike, using my level 15 rage power on Leg 2 vs AC, [roll7] (Forgot my +2 for it being prone, and I am adding my Heroic Resolve +4 to make the total a 29)
Damage - [roll8] radiant damage, with my brutal dice rework. If I miss, the power isn't expended, but no half damage.

Tegu8788
2013-02-20, 11:10 PM
Sim

Drawing another arrow, he holds the tip for several seconds, then notching it, aims high and fires again at the giant spider, shouting "Here I am, here I am! Come and get me!" as he bounces back several steps, finding some cover next to his ally.

Minor: Greater Echoing Weapon
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, the next weapon attack made with the target weapon deals 3d6 thunder damage to one target of the attack, whether the attack hits or misses.
Standard: RBA against BASpider
Hit: [roll0] vs AC
Damage: [roll1], plus [roll2] thunder damage.
Move: Move to O18, triggering Shadow Walk, gaining concealment.

Edit: Half damage on a miss with at-will attacks (Vital Strike).

WaffleLord
2013-02-21, 11:30 PM
Leggies

A sudden flurry of appendages fly as each beast seems to be going in a different direction.

One reaches for the Standard to dislodge it and end its hindering effects. Bugbear reaches out a meaty mitt to snare the creature. Legs crush and crunch as they twitch in his clutches.

With Garr in its grips, another tries to push its forelegs through his defenses, but glance harmlessly off his armor.

Thinking it sees an opening, one of the beasts jumps to its "feet" and stabs at Bugbear. Chuckling heartily, he steps over the clumsy attack.

Leggy 3
MOVE - Stand
STANDARD -
Bugbear Stranglehold as Opp Att vs Leggy 3 AC - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

Leggy 2
MOVE - Stand
STANDARD -
Claw(-2 marked, -2 Hydra) vs Garr AC (32) - [roll2]
Damage - [roll3]

Leggy 1
MOVE - Stand
STANDARD -
Claw(-2 Hydra) vs Bugbear AC (36) - [roll4]
Damage - [roll5]

WaffleLord
2013-02-21, 11:41 PM
Last leggy

Seeing Bugbear occupied by many distractions, the last leaps in to pierce his mighty hide. The mighty wrestler, reactions honed by countless matches, barely glances as he reaches out to the nearest foe, grabs him, and blocks the attack with his make-shift shield.

Leggy 4
MOVE - Stand
STANDARD -
Claw vs Bugbear AC (36) - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

Possible Bugbear Immediate Interrupt
Body Shield vs Leggy 2 Ref - [roll2]

Bugbear and Leggy 2 each take 9 damage.

Go, Bugbear, Adrik, Linnea, and Grai.

Ridai
2013-02-22, 08:58 AM
Grai misses again. Cursing.
Take 10 poison damage

Standard MBA vs BA Spider
[roll0] vs. Reflex

--------------------
When the above attacks hits: (which it doesn't)

Free Trip Up
[roll3] vs. Reflex
Hit: [roll4] radiant damage (brutal 1) and knocked prone

Minor Sohei Flurry
[roll6] vs. AC (+2 if spider is prone)
Hit: [roll7] radiant damage (brutal 1)
--------------------

Save [roll9]

Phrenologist
2013-02-22, 11:08 AM
Linnea turns from the threat of the giant spider to a situation she is more familiar with; a group of smaller enemies. As she moves, she whispers to the spirits of the cold and stone around her, inhaling their power. She then exhales, breathing a cloud of pale silver sparks that float to land on the strange many-legged creatures. Two of them manage to shake off the radiant sparks, but the other two feel a searing pain and their carapace grows numb and brittle.

Linnea moves to R13.

She then casts Rain of Blood (to be heavily reflavored) in a burst 2 within 10 centred on Bugbear (don't worry, it's friendly).

Attack Roll Leggie 1: [roll0] vs Fortitude HIT
Attack Roll Leggie 2: [roll1] vs Fortitude HIT
Attack Roll Leggie 3: [roll2] vs Fortitude MISS
Attack Roll Leggie 4: [roll3] vs Fortitude MISS

Damage: [roll4]
All targets hit gain vulnerable 5 to all damage until the end of my next turn.

If that hits at least three targets, she then uses an action point to cast Hand of Radiance on the three targets that were hit (or Leggie 1 through 3; rolls are in order from lowest to highest numbered Leggie)

Attack Roll 1: [roll5] vs Reflex
Attack Roll 2: [roll6] vs Reflex
Attack Roll 3: [roll7] vs Reflex

Damage: [roll8] +5 for vulnerability.

MiketheMountain
2013-02-23, 09:53 AM

Ducking, punching, dodging, grabbing, twisting... Bugbear feels more alive than he has in years! Surrounded by enemies, two pinned beneath the giant man's unbreakable grip, his laughs echo as loud as the mighty blows struck by his allies.

Out the corner of his eye, Bugbear sees one of these bizarre beasts still holding fast to Garr's legs. Dropping the other dazed creature into a heap on the stone floor, Bugbear fixes both hands on the first stubborn thing and tries to tear it off his friend. Unfortunately, the mass of flailing legs proves too slippery to get a proper grip, and it remains stuck on the Barbarian's limb.

Tabletop:Minor Action: Maintain grab on Leggy 2
Move Action: none
Standard Action: Opening Ploy against Leggy 2

Attack vs AC (+2 from CA via Prone): [roll0]
Damage (Radiant) (+5 from Linnea's power, +1d10 from Claw Gloves): [roll1] [roll2] Total:
L2 is slid to M15 (breaking it's grab on Garr)
L2 grants Combat Advantage until the end of Bugbear's next turn
Everyone gets a +4 power bonus to damage rolls against enemies adjacent to L2 until EoNT-Bugbear

Leggy 2 is marked by Bugbear
Leggy 1, 2, 3, 4 is slowed until the start of Bugbear's next turn (Battle Standard)Combat Notes:
Grab escape attempts must be made against Bugbear's Fortitude (feat)
A prone enemy that is grabbed by Bugbear must escape the grab before it can stand (feat)
Whenever Bugbear hits a slowed or immobilized target with an attack, he can knock it prone. (feat)
Enemies adjacent to Bugbear can not shift into a square not adjacent to Bugbear. (Whirlwind of Destruction, Paragon Path feature)
Bugbear does not grant Combat Advantage from being flanked. (feat)
When Bugbear is pulled, pushed, or slid, he reduces the distance by 2. (Defiant Boots)
Statblock:Bugbear Boulder (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=502036), Human Fighter (Brawler), Gladiator Champion
Init +12 HP 111/124 Bloodied 62 Healing Surge 31 (0 used /10)

Temporary Hit Points: 0

sournote103
2013-02-25, 07:54 AM
Fairly confident that the four of his allies closest to the small spiders could handle them, Adrik thought it best to focus his attention on the larger spider, which Grai currently faced alone.

Running to W9
Ending wolf form, which allows me to shift one square to X9

WaffleLord
2013-02-26, 12:08 AM
BA Spider

Seeking a tasty morsel, the huge arachnid tries to nibble on the half-orc while eyeing the impending warlord. After taking a snap that Grai easily dodges, it steps back and throws webbing at Adrik, entangling the human and rendering him unable to move anywhere.

Standard
Bite vs Grai AC (33) - [roll0] MISS
Damage - [roll1]

Move
Shift to FF8

Minor
Web vs Adrik Ref (27) - [roll2] HIT
Immobilized (save ends)

Go for Sim and Garr

Ridai
2013-02-26, 12:48 AM
With the spider missing, Grai immediately grasps the chance, fueled by the anger over her previous misses.
Immediate Reaction Activate Counterstrike Guards due to the miss for a MBA vs BA Spider
[roll0] vs. Reflex
Hit: Activate Power Strike. [roll1] radiant damage (brutal 1) and knocked prone
With a grin, Grai finds purchase, brutally beating the monster into the ground.

Irish Musician
2013-02-26, 10:48 AM
Garr, still grabbed by the little legs, swings his axe at them, hoping win his freedom and help Bugbear with the others.

Actions
Move - End grab, Athletics against Fort [roll0]
Standard - Howling Strike vs AC on #2 [roll1] with +2 for him being prone
Damage - [roll2] [roll3]

If I hit with this and kill him, I will do this:
Free - Swift Charge to M15, attack on #3, using Howling Strike [roll4] with +2 to him being prone
Damage - [roll5] [roll6] [roll7]

I also forgot to mention that all my damage is radiant, if that makes even the slightest difference. Which I suspect it doesn't with these guys but thought I should say it anyway :smallwink:

Garr cuts off all the legs holding him, leaving them in a lifeless pile near him. Throwing his arms back, and letting out a bestial roar, Garr charges another group of legs on Bugbear's other side, smashing them with a radiant fury, and delivering a huge blow to them.

Tegu8788
2013-02-27, 08:05 PM
Sim

Watching one leg crumble, Sim quickly draws and fires an arrow into the closest leg, swearing, "Bun tyen-shung duh ee-dway-Ro!", before diving away from the brawny bearish man.

Minor: Curse Leg 3 and Leg 4
Standard: RBA versus Leg 3
Damage: [roll1] damage, grant Bugbear 6 THPs.
Curse [roll2] damage if it hit.
Move: to Q14, activating Shadow Walk.

WaffleLord
2013-02-28, 12:31 AM
BA Spider

As Grai's blade slices through the spider, it nicks one of the spider's venom sacks sending a spray of poison in a wide arc in front of the beast. Grai feels it burn as the venom finds its way into her system. Sluggish and burning, she continues to fight on.

Immediate Reaction once bloodied
Poison spray vs Grai Fort (31) - [roll0] HIT
Ongoing 10 poison damage and SLOWED (save ends both)

WaffleLord
2013-02-28, 12:59 AM
Leggies

Finding one of their number rendered limbless, the remaining three go into a frenzy, attack whatever is nearest them be it human, bear, or flag. Bugbear is skewered by a pair of legs that try to push him towards the edge of the bridge, but are unable to move him. Garr brushes away the flailing legs aimed at him.

Leggie 1
Move stand
Claw attack vs banner
Opp attack for Bugbear. Unless the opp attack prevents it, it will dislodge the banner.

Leggie 3
Move stand
Claw vs Garr AC (32) - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

Leggie 4
Move stand
Claw vs Bugbear AC (36) - [roll2]
Damage - [roll3]

Go Bugbear, Adrik, Linnea, Grai

Ridai
2013-02-28, 02:21 AM
Finally having found her rhythm, Grai closes the distance with a big step and wails on the spider, hacking again and again as if to make the bridge beneath crack from the sheer force.
Move Shift to DD10 (didn't notice the spider moved back).

Standard MBA
[roll0] vs. Reflex (includes CA)
Hit: [roll1] radiant damage (brutal 1) (includes Headman's Chop)
Total damage: 45

-----------
If the attack hits:

Minor Sohei Flurry
[roll3] vs AC (includes CA)
Hit: [roll4] radiant damage (brutal 1) (includes Headman's Chop)
Total damage: 47

Free Trip Up
Minor Sohei Flurry
[roll6] vs Reflex (includes CA)
Hit: [roll7] radiant damage (brutal 1) (includes Headman's Chop) and knocked prone...erer

MiketheMountain
2013-02-28, 11:23 AM

Opportunity Attack
With seemingly dozens of random limbs scurrying all over him, Bugbear notices one leg reaching out and taking hold of the Battle Standard. He brings a heavy gloved fist down upon the creature, but not before it is able to knock the Standard off of it's base. Somewhere in the distance, a bell rings twice, and fades away.

Opportunity Attack -> Grappling Strike against Leggy 1

Attack vs AC: [roll0]
Damage (Radiant): [roll1] EDIT: Critical Hit! Total Damage: 26 (rolled here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14797190#post14797190)) + 5 from Vulnerable 5
Leggy 1 is marked, grabbed, and knocked prone

Bugbear's Turn
Glancing sideways, Bugbear sees his mighty friend about to finish off the wounded thing in front of him. Smiling, the grappler turns his attention back to the other two. Looking down at the bleeding claw marks across his chest, he smiles and says, "I'll be with you in just a second there Snuggles." Bugbear then lifts the other creature in the air, delivers a crushing headbutt into the center of it's writhing mass of legs, followed immediately by a vicious uppercut that launches the beast into the air, and leaving it collapsed on the ground in a quivering, stunned, heap.

Turning slowly and dramatically back to the thing that wounded him a moment before, Bugbear sneers, leans forward, and says in a harsh stage-whisper, "Try that again..."

Tabletop:Move Action: none
Minor Action: none
Standard Action: Vicious Uppercut against Leggy 1

Attack vs AC (+2 from prone): [roll2]
Damage (Radiant, +1d10 from Claw Gloves): [roll3] [roll4] Total: 23 + 5 from Vulnerable 5
Secondary Attack vs Fortitude (+2 from prone): [roll5]
Damage (Radiant, +1d10 from Claw Gloves): [roll6] [roll7] Total: 25 + 5 from Vulnerable 5
Leggy 1 is marked, prone, and stunned
Leggy 4 got SERVED.:smallcool:

Halo of Destruction: Inflict STR modifier (7) damage to all other adjacent enemies after bloodying enemy.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1437675/Pictures/Games/Bugbear-05.png
Combat Notes:
Whenever Bugbear hits a slowed or immobilized target with an attack, he can knock it prone. (World Serpent's Grasp, feat)
Bugbear does not grant Combat Advantage from being flanked. (Eyes in the Back of Your Head, feat)

Init +12 HP 88/124 Bloodied 62 Healing Surge 31 (0 used /10)

Temporary Hit Points: 6
Conditions: awesome

sournote103
2013-03-02, 11:51 AM
Not seeing anything he could do from his current position, Adrik focused on freeing himself from the webs entangling him.

Saving throw - [roll0]

Phrenologist
2013-03-03, 06:23 AM
Linnea brandishes a conjured whip of cold moonlight at the bundles of legs, striking once, twice, three times. Extremely satisfying cracks issue as they strike the first and the fourth creatures, but the third dances aside just in time.

Going to cast Hand of Radiance on the three leggies
Leggie 1:[roll0] vs Reflex, for 21 (see OOC) damage
Leggie 3:[roll1] vs Reflex
Leggie 4:[roll2] vs Reflex

Also, vulnerability 5 to all damage ends on Leggy 1

Tegu8788
2013-03-04, 11:41 PM
Sim

Drawing another arrow, he notches it, shouting to his comrades, "Keep it together folks, we'll get through this." He fires his arrow at one of the loose legs, aiming to take it down a peg. His anger momentarily sated, he takes a deep breath, feeling better already.

Minor: Mantle of Unity
Target: You and each ally (Bugbear, Linnea, Garr) in the burst
Effect: Determine the highest AC, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will among all the targets, not including any temporary bonuses or penalties (40, Bugbear's Fort). Until the end of your next turn, use these values for the corresponding defenses of all the targets.

Standard: RBA vs Leggy 4's AC
Hit: [roll1] damage, plus [roll2] curse damage, grant Linnnea 6 THPs

Move to N16, triggering Shadow Walk for concealment.

Use Shield of Devotion next time anyone in the aura get's attacked. Just remembered I haven't kept posting that. Sim needs to use what healing he has.

Immediate Reaction Close burst 5
Trigger: An ally within 5 squares of you takes damage from an enemy attack.
Target: The triggering ally
Effect: The target regains hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier or Charisma modifier. Until the end of your next turn, you gain a +2 power bonus to your next attack roll against the enemy that damaged the target.
Level 11: The target regains hit points equal to 5 + your Wisdom modifier or Charisma modifier (6).

WaffleLord
2013-03-06, 01:38 AM
BA Spider

Feeing its life force quickly bleeding away, the arachnid guardian swipes twice more at Grai, solid staggering the half orc, then runs for the edge of the bridge.

Bite attack x 2 (Action Point)
Bite 1 vs Grai AC (33) - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

Bite 2 vs Grai AC (33) - [roll2]
Damage - [roll3]

Move to edge of bridge and over unless Grai's opportunity attack slays it.

Grai?

Ridai
2013-03-06, 02:33 AM
Grai growls in pain at the swipes, blood spilling onto the bridge, though before the spider can get away, the half-orc's furious howl echoes across the bridge, and faster than the spider can manage, her gouge crushes its skull with a sickening crack and screeching from the creature, the legs spasming and bucking as poisonous fluids flood the floor and jet out in thick streams. Not satisfied yet, Grai rips her oversized weapon out only to hammer down again, ending all movement and leaving nothing but gory bits of the head behind.
Gain 10 THP because of being bloodied.

I'm assuming the spider did not get up and thus is crawling away, since there is no indication of it standing up from prone.

Immediate reaction to activate Backlash Tattoo because of being bloodied.
MBA vs. BA Spider
Hit: [roll1] radiant damage (brutal 1) (includes Headman's Chop)

Opportunity attack vs. BA Spider
[roll3] vs. Reflex (includes CA)
Hit: [roll4] radiant damage (brutal 1) (includes Headman's Chop)

edit: The first hit is already enough to kill the spider, so the OA ended up only being there for giggles.

Irish Musician
2013-03-07, 01:45 PM
Seeing the big spider fall, Garr smiles and raises his axe above his head, hoping to dispose of the mass of legs in front of him, and help Bugbear finish off the rest.
Actions
Standard - Fortune's Favor on #3 vs AC [roll0]
Damage - I reroll the attack [roll1], if the second hits I do [roll2] dmg, if the second misses I do [roll3] damage
Move - Shift to M16(since #3 died I shift into its place instead)

Also, since I reduced an enemy to 0, I get +8 on the next attack I make, +3 of which is UEMNT
Garr roars a mighty bellow after splattering the legs blood all over the bridge, and turns his eyes on to the next victim of his attacks.

MiketheMountain
2013-03-07, 06:23 PM

Immediate Reaction, if applicable
If Bugbear is attacked and missed: Immediate Reaction: Counterstrike Guards, or,
If Bugbear is attacked, damaged, and bloodied: Immediate Reaction: Backlash Tattoo

MBA against attacker
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] Radiant Damage
Enemy is marked (hit or miss)
Enemy is knocked prone (hit only)

Bugbear's Turn (takes place after Leggies)
Smiling at his friend's brutal ending of another of these limbed horrors, Bugbear grabs the still-moving one in front of him, tips his head back towards the stunned and bleeding mess quivering on the ground and says to Garr, "There's another one for ya! Give us a good finish!"

Grappling Strike against Leggy 4
Attack: [roll2] vs AC (+2 if it's prone or otherwise granting CA)
Damage (Radiant): [roll3] (+[roll4] if it it's prone or otherwise granting CA)
Leggy 4 is marked (hit or miss)
Leggy 4 is grabbed (hit only)
Leggy 4 is knocked prone (hit only)

Lifting the squirming beast off the ground, Bugbear walks back towards the rest of his party carrying it like a trophy. Dropping it on the ground in front of him, he laughs and says "Garr 'n Grai are having all the fun! Who wants to take a crack at taking care of this fella? C'mon, who's got the big moves tonight!?"

Move Action: Painful Drag
Bugbear moves to R15 (no OA from L4)
Leggy 4 is slid to R16, and grants Combat Advantage until EoNT-Bugbear

Combat Notes:
A prone enemy that is grabbed by Bugbear must escape the grab before it can stand (feat)

WaffleLord
2013-03-10, 05:54 PM
Leggies

Finding their leader rolled of the bridge, the two who remain flail even harder with no other thought than to cause as much damage as they can. Both Bugbear and Garr suffer their wrath but care very little as one is too dizzy to connect at the other cannot get through their magically enhanced armor.

#1 Claw vs Bugbear AC (36) - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]Stunned

#4 Claw vs Garr AC (32) - [roll2]
Damage - [roll3]

WaffleLord
2013-03-10, 06:05 PM

Bugbear's Turn (takes place after Leggies)
Smiling at his friend's brutal ending of another of these limbed horrors, Bugbear grabs the still-moving one in front of him, tips his head back towards the stunned and bleeding mess quivering on the ground and says to Garr, "There's another one for ya! Give us a good finish!"

Grappling Strike against Leggy 4
Attack: (1d20+21)[38] vs AC (+2 if it's prone or otherwise granting CA)
Damage (Radiant): (1d6+13)[19] (+(1d10)[9] if it it's prone or otherwise granting CA)
Leggy 4 is marked (hit or miss)
Leggy 4 is grabbed (hit only)
Leggy 4 is knocked prone (hit only)

Lifting the squirming beast off the ground, Bugbear walks back towards the rest of his party carrying it like a trophy. Dropping it on the ground in front of him, he laughs and says "Garr 'n Grai are having all the fun! Who wants to take a crack at taking care of this fella? C'mon, who's got the big moves tonight!?"

Combat Notes:

Finish them off Adrik, Linnea, Grai

sournote103
2013-03-10, 06:23 PM
Not seeing any way to help deal with the two remaining spiders just yet, Adrik shouted a word of encouragement to Grai.

Move action - Move to Y13
Minor action - Inspiring Word on Grai, letting her spend a healing surge and regain [roll0] extra HP

Phrenologist
2013-03-11, 08:20 AM
With a crack, Linnea strikes again with her shining silver whips. One dodges, but the creature grabbed by Bugbear is unable to struggle aside and the lash tears into the flesh.

Leggie 1: [roll0] vs REF, for [roll1] damage. (MISS)
Leggie 4: [roll2] vs REF, for the same damage. HIT

Leggies hit have their REF reduced by 2 ueont (technically that should have happened last time, but eh)

Ridai
2013-03-11, 10:37 AM
Ripping her gouge from the huge spider body, Grai hears Bugbear call out and wastes not a second, though not before mischievously, but thankfully kissing the air in Adrik's direction. With a ferocious, inhuman speed, the half-orc charges across a good third of the bridge in mere seconds like orcblooded legends personified into one being. Coming to a sudden stop right next to Garr, all the momentum is transferred into Grai's oversized weapon that rises above its wielder's head and comes crashing down onto the legged creature with a deafening crash. The creature is still moving afterwards (in a pool of its own blood), but not for long.

Heal 39 HP due to Adrik's kind help.

Grai frees herself (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14872890#post14872890) of her slowed condition at the start of her turn, also preventing the poison damage.

Move to X14

Minor Switch to Berserker's Charge stance (leading to charge speed 12)

Standard Charge Leggie 1, moving to M17.
[roll0] vs. Ref (includes CA)
Hit: Surprising Charge feat triggered due to having CA. [roll1] + [roll2] radiant damage (brutal 1, Headman's Chop included)
Brutal dice: [roll3]

Tegu8788
2013-03-11, 09:20 PM
Sim

Drawing another arrow, he fires it through a small opening between his allies at one of the remaining legs. As soon as the arrow leaves his bow, he strides forward, swinging around his allies. Despite feeling pretty tough, he still knew better than to expose himself to retaliation.

Standard: RBA vs Leggie 4
Damage: 29 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14876879&postcount=5849) damage, 6 THPs to Linnea
Move: to M18, triggering Shadow Walk.

WaffleLord
2013-03-14, 07:04 PM
Leggy

Alone or not, the many-legged monstrosity has but one thought in its small mind: kill those who intrude. Regaining its feet, it swipes its many claws at the only thing within reach, but finds nothing save empty air and hardened armor.

Claw attack vs Bugbear AC (36) - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

Race to slay the loner!

Irish Musician
2013-03-15, 08:37 AM
For a second everyone is in awe, because Garr seems to be running away. He turns and runs behind him, but then stops on a silver coin and rushes the leggies, bringing down his axe upon them.

Actions
Move - Shift to N16
Standard Charge(Howling Strike) #1 vs AC [roll0]
Damage - [roll1] + [roll2] + [roll3]
Garr's axe splatter's whatever hold the legs together all over himself and bugbear with the mighty swing of his axe. He then lets out quite a vigorous and bestial roar once he has ended the legs. He looks around him, see if there are anymore enemies left. When he is satisfied that there is not, he takes a rest, slowly sinking back into human form, cleaning off himself with a spare rag from his pack....and more importantly his axe.

WaffleLord
2013-03-16, 08:04 PM
As the final creature falls, silence returns to the world. As you pass farther across the bridge, the spires of the city lay in quiet lifelessness. Naught but a stale breeze can be felt. The city gates stand ajar.

Irish Musician
2013-03-17, 12:04 AM
Garr stands up after having a short rest on the bridge, and walks with the others to the gate of the city, and something to him seems amiss. The gate is just sitting there open......

Perception Check, see if I see anything funny [roll0]
Insight to feel any "weird" presences (not that Garr is great at that :smallwink:) [roll1]

Ridai
2013-03-17, 04:09 AM
Once they are done, Grai throws off most of the blood from her gouge with a swing (what little didn't just vaporize because of the radiant force). "Ah, tha' was great! Noth'n' like a good fight 'n' ta feel young 'gain!" And nothing like a bunch of handsome fellows to sweeten the deal.

Sauntering over to Adrik, the half-orc smiles warmly to the werewolf. "Adrik, be a sweetheart 'n' fix me up real quick." Once her wounds are taken care of, Grai rewards the help with a kiss on the cheek, always appreciating someone like him in any group.

"Nice a' 'em ta leave th' door op'n." Shouldering her gouge, Grai begins to move into the city.

sournote103
2013-03-17, 07:37 AM
After the battle, Adrik did what he could to tend to his allies' wounds (as well as his own) before sitting down to rest.

Anyone who wants one can claim an Inspiring Word or a Heal check. I will be using one healing surge myself.

MiketheMountain
2013-03-18, 11:19 AM

Bugbear stretches his arms widely, then with his hands on his rear he leans far back, wincing in relief as his muscles relax and his spine pops loudly. Standing tall, he shakes like a wet bear for a second and then joins his companions as they check each other over for any injuries. Clapping a congratulatory hand on each of his allies' shoulders in turn, the big brawler laughs proudly and nods in agreement with Grai. "Yeah, I needed a little warm-up to get these old joints working again. Them Drow folk like spiders; this was probably their idea of a welcome wagon!"

Spend 1 healing surge +[roll0]

Once everyone has had a chance to patch themselves up, Bugbear marches forward towards the city gates, still fully expecting to be greeted with welcoming arms. He notices Garr's frown and whispers "Something wrong there lumberjack? You look like you're walking into a wolf's den."

Tegu8788
2013-03-20, 09:35 PM
Sim

Feeling fine, the spry archer none the less checks himself for wounds. It never hurts to be careful. Holstering his bow, he continues to pat himself down. Finding a hard rod in his back pocket, he pulls out a wooden tube. Remembering a friend's fun with similar stick, he chuckles at the fool trying to make rain come. Putting the pipe to his lips, he sets out a little tune, traveling music so to speak.

Following the others through the gates, he replaces the woodwind and in the same motion draws a sharp dagger, his other hand resting on the pommel of a short sword. "I'm inclined to agree with Garr. We have the nice trader's pendant and all, but that don't mean much to them. We've already tangled with the doorman, I don't think it likely they will be too pleased to meet us now."

No damages so no surges to spend.
Also, heal anyone that needs it, plus Song of Rest for extra love.
Perception [roll0] for anything amiss (why is the gate open).
Insight [roll1] for anyone laying in wait to ambush the party.

WaffleLord
2013-03-26, 01:00 AM
Phaervorul

As you pass through the city gates, an impressive structure arching thirty feet in the air flanked on both sides by ten foot thick solid walls, you are struck by how alien and strange Phaervorul is constructed. While built in a cavern, just as the Seven Pillared Hall is, the drow city is easily twice its size. No soft gentle lights of dawn, day, or dusk, but a continual harvest sunset red with harsh shadows. Instead of quaint wooden buildings constructed around the natural cavern fixtures, there are stone constructions placed on blasted plateaus where massive stalagmites once stood, creating a tiered cityscape that matches the drow societal hierarchy.

Along the right side of the cavern, buildings on your level appear dirty with long, narrow streets running in orderly straight lines. Obviously, the low quarter, with its unkept signs and dark alleyways of the dark deeds needed to survive.

To your left, running along towards the back, elevated a on a twenty foot high ridge, the religious quarter. Churches reaching towards the ceiling with spires shaped as spiders' legs line the wall, each competing to look more damning, more fear-inspiring than its neighbor, each seeking to portray its aspect of Lolth as the one to be most feared and respected. Chaos, Darkness, Evil, Destruction, Trickery, Revenge, Power, all vying for more followers.

In the center, taking the majority of the space, carved onto a ten foot plateau are the most varied constructions. Two, three, and four storied buildings with lavish signs and meandering streets make up the Commons. Built for business downstairs and living above, nearly every intersection hosts a small bazaar with stands of wares and goods of all kinds.

A main thoroughfare runs straight up the center to the highest plateau, the Houses. To call them houses would demean them greatly. They are mansions, fortresses, edifices of power and intimidation, rivaling the churches for inspiring fear of those living within. Each of the seven largest Houses tries to proclaim its superiority, but only one flies the banner of Phaervorul ruler.

An impressive city where hundreds must live, or may have. Some drow are seen in the streets but they all lie still. No lights flicker from windows, no lanterns from doorways, no sounds of daily life hang in the air, but some smoke wafts from windows as smoldering, burnt husks clear their air. Echoes of fighting, occasional screams of pain reverberate from the walls from undetectable directions. This is a city under siege.

Atop the Commons, a door opens slightly, then flings wide. An elderly drow male leans out. His head is bandaged and one arm is strapped uselessly to his side. His harsh, forced whisper carries on the still air.

"Merchants! Traders! Here, quickly! Take shelter!"

Sim
The gates do not appear to have been forced open, merely unlocked and opened normally. You detect no ambush waiting and the man speaking from the doorway certainly seems to speak in honest urgency.

Garr
The gates do not appear to have been forces by some attacking force. They are not trapped, nor does there seems to be anyone waiting in ambush. You do have a strange feeling, although it is difficult to nail down whether it is something specific or simply that this place is so alien and unnatural compared to what you are used to.

Irish Musician
2013-03-26, 01:51 AM
Garr nods to his companions, "Yes, something about this place is amiss. I cannot tell if it is just the alien nature of this underground city, or if something is actually-" he is stopped short. And old Drow pokes his head out of a house, ushering them to come into his house, for some fear. "Do we go in?"

Garr will do what the others think best. He is so out of place being underground, he isn't really sure what to do with himself.

Ridai
2013-03-26, 01:59 AM
"Hark'n all ov'r," Grai mutters. Quickly, she waves her companions over to the house, making sure nothing sneaks up on them as they head in.

sournote103
2013-03-26, 06:45 AM
Adrik was somewhat surprised by the drow who invited the group in. Before following Grai in, he made sure that his sword and shield were accessible, though he did not wish to invite hostility be drawing them.

Tegu8788
2013-03-26, 11:56 PM
Sim

Taking Grai's lead, Sim ducks his head inside the door, quickly glancing back outside the windows to see if they have been followed. Resting his back against the wall next to the window, Sim looks around the room he finds himself in. Keeping his hands on his pointy implements, though in a less hostile manner. Eyeing the apparent injured owner of the house, he sheathes his dagger without letting go of it. "I take it there has been all kinds of unpleasantness happen around these parts. Would you be so kind as to enlighten us as to what has happened here." The question is implied, though it's not really a request. Sim is clearly someone that is used to having his orders carried out.

Perception for anyone tracking them [roll0]
Another perception for the contents of the room [roll1]
Diplomacy to get information from the Drow [roll2]

And may I say, lovely description of the Drow city.

MiketheMountain
2013-03-28, 02:58 PM

Bugbear looks around, confused and disappointed. Where were the banners proclaiming their arrival? Where were the nobles and politicians, with their promises of honour and riches? Where were the merchants, the bards, the peasants cheering the arrival of their rescuers? Had they arrived too late?

Frowning, Bugbear jogs over to the old Drow and into the house.

And may I say, lovely description of the Drow city.

Seconded. Great job!

Phrenologist
2013-03-28, 09:07 PM
Linnea, now in the form of a small yet sturdy she-hound, trots obediently at the heels of her 'master', Grai. She most definitely likes to observe people before interacting with them only if necessary, like many of her tree-bound kin.

Linnea will sit back and observe the proceedings, likely letting the others do most of the talking.

Perception: [roll0]
Insight: [roll1]

sournote103
2013-03-28, 09:40 PM
Seeing Linnea take the shape of a hound, Adrik assumed his own hound shape and gave a short bark as he wagged his tail at her for a few moments before moving back towards the front of the group and shifting back to a bipedal stance.

WaffleLord
2013-03-31, 12:31 AM
Duurban's Shop

The wounded drow quickly looks outside and shuts the door behind the last member's entrance. He deadbolts the door and checks the front window coverings. You see now there are thick hides blanketing the windows to prevent light from escaping. He hobbles over to a central table and uses the one candle burning there to light a candelabra. The candles sputter and, giving a gentle light that smells of lavender, slowly reveal the room under their growing light. You see various jars of powders, clays, oils, and lumps of wax. Odors ranging from flowering bouquets to dank, musty caverns seems to crawl out of drawers to assail your sense of smell. Sprigs of dried flowers and herbs tied in bunches hang along moulding along the ceiling.

The elderly man smiles at your glances around the room. "Welcome to Duurban's Ageless Apothecary," he says with a flourish. He waves his good arm in front of you, jangling his many golden bracelets in display. "As you can see I carry favors from all the most powerful Matrons, even Matron Urlvrain herself. I know every Matron's beauty secrets, but I'll never tell," he says with a coy wink that turns into a wince of pain.

"I saw what you did on the bridge, so don't think for a moment I think you're merchants, despite your pendants. While normally I would have alerted the guard, you may have noticed things are not business as usual." As he speaks he walks around the group eyeing you, seeming to appraise you, and mumbles to himself. "You're adventuring types, no doubt, needs exfoliant, snaggle brush. Drawn here by news of our troubles, perhaps? Let me assure you, strong soap, bath salts, stiff wire brush, our city is in trouble. The dead won't stay dead. Strange lights in the sky, pretty coat, curry comb, bring new troubles. Our warriors fight against the dead ones but sometimes they fight each other, masking poultice, lots. I can't say the game of the Houses isn't to blame, but there have been some things on our streets not of our world, well kept, moustache wax. You must have seen the bodies. It's been like that for several days and it's only getting worse, depilatory, several gallons, and a good waxing. The most fortified place in the city is Matron Urlvrain's. She's walled up inside and she's not being subtle about it." He continues talking but strolls about his shop pulling things from drawers and jars, and dropping them into three canvas sacks. "Her personal guard is manning her gates while the city guard is thrown here and there putting out spot of trouble. That tells me she knows what is causing the trouble but is trying to ride it out, reserving her own forces. Good for her, bad for us. If you are the kind of folk I think you are, you'll want to start there, at House Urlvrain. Straight up the main walk, can't miss it. Look for the banners. That will be 265 gold pieces," he finishes placing the three sacks on the counter, "including your favored status discount," he adds with a smile.

Ridai
2013-03-31, 03:12 AM
"Thanks," Grai answers with a grin, then turns around and leaves, gouge in hand. Getting all she needs to know in one concise package, sure would be nice if that was always the case.

Irish Musician
2013-03-31, 10:45 PM
Garr smiles at the drow's odd nature, plopping down 100g towards the group's expenses. Garr has never been one for gold, and he is always willing to help his comrades in whatever transactions they come across. With nothing to say or do, he waits until the rest of the group has concluded their business with the old drow, waiting for any answers to questions, and follows Grai out.

MiketheMountain
2013-04-02, 04:51 PM

Though these days Bugbear usually shared a similar bathing routine as his horse (splash in a trough, roll in some dirt, occasional brushing for a special event), back during the height of his performing fame, he and his associates knew the character-enhancing value of a little stage make-up.

Sniffing the exfoliant, the big grappler nods approvingly. "If you have a little deep-river clay it makes for a great post-scrub mask, really seals in the shine. Do you have any black walnut paste, maybe mixed with just a drop of sumac or red lichen? I wouldn't mind covering up a few grey hairs; much as I got left to worry about, eh? HA! And you know, I'm running low on stonefruit oil; there's nothing like it! Makes you glisten like Corellon's codpiece in torchlight. Oh! And do you have... uh..." Looking around, Bugbear notices that perhaps his companions are not quite as interested in Master Duurban's wares as he is.

Clearing his throat in a manly fashion, Bugbear nods to their host, whispering, "We'll talk more later."

Tegu8788
2013-04-03, 06:31 PM
Sim - [Duurban's Shop]

At the mention of dead that won't stay dead, Sim's expression drops. He had appeared haughty, almost glad to see the Drow having such a vacant city, but hearing of the dead rising, he's clearly frightened. Anger at the thought of politics losing good people their lives, that too plays across his face, a bit furrier than normal. He absorbs as much information as he can, before watching his troop start to leave. At least they were a straightforward bunch.

At least he thought so, before the pretty boy started to go on and on. Drawing the needed coin from his bag, he sets it on the table, before taking the prepared ointments and placing them in his purse. "Thank you Duurban. I'm glad we still have favored status, even if we aren't your regular merchants." He pat's his bow as he says so, before he follows his brutish allies out the door.

WaffleLord
2013-04-05, 12:54 AM
Phaervorul

The streets remain empty as you move out of Duurban's shop. The Main Way through the Commons is a wide, meandering street with a few ruined carts along its sides. To the north, you see what must be House Urlvrain. The banners of Lolth stream from its spires and hang from several balconies of the dark and imposing structure. Walking up the way shouldn't take to long, but it's not the distance that concerns you: it's the company. Sounds can be heard drifting through the still air. Moans, screams, giggles, roars. The sources can't be seen and directions seem unreliable. An uneventful journey would be nice, but appears all too unlikely.

Marching order as you go, please.

Irish Musician
2013-04-05, 08:14 AM
As they walked through the streets Garr got his uneasy feeling again. The place was too deserted. He had always heard the in drow cities, all the action took place in the shadows, but this felt like less action than usual. "I will stay at our rear, to make sure nothing gets us from behind, as the drow are keen on doing." The noises Garr hears are just as disturbing as hearing nothing and as they continued their way into the city, Garr gripped his axe tighter and kept a weary eye out.

Perception to find the baddies [roll0]
Nature to pin down the laughs/noises to see what they are [roll1]

Ridai
2013-04-05, 08:50 AM
Grai marches in the center, Garr and Linnea behind her, her gouge shouldered. Occasionally, she reaches down to caress Linnea's hound head calmingly. Hearing Garr's comment about drow tactics, the half-orc recalls something, making her giggle quietly at some memories of hers, all but answering "Oh yeah, sure are."

Tegu8788
2013-04-05, 01:30 PM
Sim

Looking side to side, Sim is clearly not happy with the situation. "I do not like this. I say we get eyes aloft, get a better idea of what's around us. Would one of you be willing to give me a lift?" Sim pops his knuckles, his neck, shoulders, spine, and tail...

As each joint resets itself, his body shifts. He shrinks, his browncoat melting into his frame, sprouting fur. His bones shift, muscles reattaching themselves to new points, organs folding around each other. Where stood a man, a monkey is now. He looks up at his fellows, raising his hands in the universal up me pose so many small children make.

Minor: Nature's Mask
Gain a climb speed of 7.
At some point this will trigger Shadow Walk.
Stealth to hide from the moaning darkness in the inky shadows [roll0]
Perception to see if Sim can see anything [roll1]

Irish Musician
2013-04-05, 02:42 PM
Garr looks at Sim and smiles, "Of course!". Excited, the large man put down his axe, grabs a hold of his Sim's tight pants, and chunks him up, helping him to the tops of the roofs. He then picks up his axe and keeps his wits about him.

Athletics? [roll0]

WaffleLord
2013-04-07, 11:46 PM
Rooftops

The view from above doesn't improve things much. The irregular and varied heights of buildings and signs of the merchants' Commons give a stealthy fellow many places to hide behind cover but blocks the sight from many different directions. Sim does, however, sees two things: the way to House Urlvrain is clear, and in two different places in the city there are shimmering spheres of crackling energy hanging low over the buildings.

Tegu8788
2013-04-07, 11:52 PM
Sim

Finding a firm place to wedge himself in, he transforms into a hybrid form, using his tail to help hold him in place. Clothes appearing again, he rolls his fingers into a fist and opens them, stretching out his gloves. Directing energy through his palms into his fingers, he creates a small shower of green sparks in front of the party, before creating two more yellow sparks, indicating to the party the direction the spheres of energy are. He fires off one more green spark, before reverting back to his smaller simian shape, waiting to see if the group will continue forwards, or look after the unusual energy signatures.

MiketheMountain
2013-04-09, 01:30 PM

Bugbear marches along in the front of the group, cheered a bit by their short meeting with Duurban. He starts to whistle a little marching tune before some incredulous looks from his allies silences him. The echoing noises are making him both uncomfortable and impatient. Skulking in shadows has never been Bugbear's style; live loud and party hard, that's his way.

When Sim points out the strange lights hovering over some other parts of the city, Bugbear gets excited. Whispering to his friends, "Hey, good job Monkey Man! Let's go see what's happening over there! Might be something we can do, better than knocking on the door of some stuffy noble hiding under her bed."

Ridai
2013-04-10, 11:08 AM
Grai shrugs. "A look can't hurt." And she wanders off into the yellow spark direction.

Tegu8788
2013-04-10, 08:25 PM
Sim - Rooftops

Following their lead, Sim leaps from rooftop to rooftop, scouting ahead of the group, trying to get a better perspective on any possible ambushes, as well as what on earth the energy orbs actually are. The tiny monkey darts from nook to cranny, looking for signs of danger.

Acrobatics for rooftop jumping [roll0]
Arcana on the energy orbs [roll]1d20+9[roll] Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15068489&postcount=6006)
Perception for ambushes [roll1]
Stealth to remain hidden from the ground [roll2]

WaffleLord
2013-04-11, 12:14 AM
Rooftops

Hiding amongst the uneven rooftops and various structures is almost too easy. Almost as if certain building were designed so. Of course, being this small does have its advantages.

The nearest energy orbs is a block to the east and north two blocks. Leaping ahead, vaulting a narrow alley, and shimmying down a narrow column puts Sim nearly at eye level to the orb. It hovers, pulsing slightly, about twenty feet off the ground.

Simian
While its shape is unusual, its consistency is familiar. The pulsing patterns of energy bear strong resemblance to other arcane gateways you have witnessed. It does not seem advanced nor controlled enough to allow passage, but something of the other side is leaking through, evidenced by the flickering tendrils of energy.

MiketheMountain
2013-04-11, 02:38 PM

Bugbear trundles along, oblivious and uncaring of the dangers the strange energy might represent. He does his best to keep an eye on his newly-furry friend, in case Sim runs in to any trouble, or tries to warn the rest of them that they are.

As the group approaches the orb, Bugbear pauses and looks to Linnea with a raised questioning eyebrow. Hopefully her deeper connection with such things will shed a little light on the situation.

sournote103
2013-04-11, 04:02 PM
Adrik followed the others through the streets, though he was somewhat more wary of their surroundings than some of his allies seemed to be.

Perception check to look for anything potentially dangerous - [roll0]
Sorry for not posting sooner!

Tegu8788
2013-04-11, 08:15 PM
Sim

Laying flat against the roof, he shifts himself into his hybrid form. Using his dagger he pries a tile from the roof, and places his palm on it. He imprints on it a symbol, displaying the orb surrounded by what appears to be an arcane gate. He inscribes several tentacles seeping out the bottom, placing skulls with question marks on their forehead in the corners of the tile. Sim shimmies towards the ledge, and tosses the tile down to the group.

Contorting back into his monkey form, he leaps to another building, trying to get another look around, further ahead of the group.

I hope that helps move us forwards some, and spread out the information.
Stealth: [roll0] because he really wants to be hidden
Perception: [roll1] to look around at the area under the orb
Arcana: [roll2] to determine if the energy is necrotic

Ridai
2013-04-12, 04:35 AM
Looking at the tile, Grai's face shows a small frown. "Boys, I ain't th' magicky type. Do we care 'r not?"

WaffleLord
2013-04-15, 12:01 AM
Sim

Under the sphere is an open air market, a slightly larger intersection. Several meandering streets meet here where a statue of Lolth stands twenty feet tall, looking over the plaza with disdain and derision. The energy from the sphere sparks too quickly to get an accurate analysis, but it sure doesn't look friendly-like.

Tegu8788
2013-04-16, 10:15 AM
Sim

Laying down again to reduce his profile, Sim wriggles until his clothes reappear. Placing his hand over another tile, he inscribes his overhead view of the streets, marking the large statue, his location, and where the rest of the party is. Leaping to another roof as a tiny monkey, he drops the tiles where the party can easily find it. He climbs forwards, moving to the side to get a better angle on the market.

Irish Musician
2013-04-16, 12:28 PM
Even with the pointing out of these new lights, Garr wasn't sure what to do. He had grown up around magic in his village but even with that history, he still didn't like magic much. So when these lights were pointed out to him, he was less than excited to go investigate them, "I will do as the group wants, but I never like to go near magics of any sort, especially in this underground world If it is up to me I say we move along....."

MiketheMountain
2013-04-16, 03:27 PM

Bugbear, clearly becoming impatient with all this skulking around and jumping at noises, huffs in bored frustration and steps out into the open plaza. Looking up at the statue, he sticks out his tongue in a childish taunt and then throws his hands up, shouting, "Where is everybody?!"

WaffleLord
2013-04-17, 12:25 AM
Open Plaza

Bugbears words bounce around the buildings, falling on empty doorways, and receives only stoney silence from the figure of Lolth.

However, as the taunt fades, a silent figure charges around a eastern turn. A drow female in armor that has seen some recent wear stumble at first sight and raises her hand crossbow in the wrestler's direction. She pauses less than a blink, then lowers her weapon and runs towards the off-guard grappler. Veering around the statue at the last moment, she harshly grunts, "Run, fool!" as she passes. Behind her, you hear the foot stomps of many less stealthy feet charging after her.

Initiative rolls, please.

Tegu8788
2013-04-17, 12:45 AM
Sim - Open Plaza

Seeing the drow warrior coming from his vantage point, Sim shivers, elongating, his old browncoat covering his still furry body, he draws his bow and notches an arrow, but allows the string to go slack when her weapon is no longer pointed at his boisterous ally. He takes a deep breathe, and lets the air flow out of him, calming his mind as he spreads his awareness out.

Minor: Nature's Mask (hopefully for the last time in a while) to hybrid form.
Minor: Skald's Aura
Percetion: [roll0] is anyone/thing following her?
Initiative: [roll1] +2 from warlord 25
Prepare to use Shield of Devotion on the first ally that get's hit.

Also, is Sim hidden? He's been making stealth checks with concealment from moving around.

Ridai
2013-04-17, 01:08 AM
"Tha's more m'language!" Grai has her radiant gouge already in hand, ready to wreck.

Initiative [roll0] (includes warlord +2 bonus)

(Folks, remember to update the combat tracker! Some of you still have wounds you didn't spend surges on!)

sournote103
2013-04-17, 06:36 AM
Upon hearing the shouted warning, Adrik instinctively drew his weapons before searching for any potential dangers nearby.

Initiative - [roll0]
Perception - [roll1]

Irish Musician
2013-04-17, 11:52 AM
Garr smiles at Bugbear's yell throughout the city, as if taunting the Drow to come out. His keen eyes then see a female Drow come out and point her crossbow at bugbear. Garr tightens his grip on his axe, but as she lowers her weapon, so does he....a least a bit. Then it seems in a flash she is running past them, telling them to run as well, and all Garr can hear is the footsteps of many things coming after them.

Initiative - [roll0] (includes the +2, but if I don't get it, just take it out)
Perception - [roll1], see what is chasing her

MiketheMountain
2013-04-17, 01:45 PM
When he spots the lady Drow, Bugbear waves his hand and smiles, returning what he thinks is a greeting. As the guard runs past and barks her advice, his shoulders slump in disappointment for a moment, until his ears pick up the sound of approaching footsteps. Bugbear opens up his stance, rubs his hands together, and, with an excited grin, quietly says, "Showtime..."

Ridai
2013-04-19, 12:25 AM
Grai moves herself into a better position to have a good, safe look at what's to come.

Grai doublemoves from N4 to U8 so she has a good amount of cover from the lower right and can still see what's going on.

sournote103
2013-04-19, 06:29 AM
Adrik couldn't do a whole lot from his current position, so he transformed into his quadrupedal form and followed Grai.

Minor action for Body of the Wolf
Move action to move to T5

WaffleLord
2013-04-21, 09:56 PM
Linnea

Eager to see what could earn such rapt attention from her companions, Linnea hurries forward to stand near the wrestler. Gazing at the floating orb, she tries to peer through its glowing tendrils to the heart of what is causing it. It is obviously a manifestation of arcane power, with a touch of malevolence, but beyond that its purpose escapes her.

Move to M13

Arcana - [roll0]

WaffleLord
2013-04-21, 10:30 PM
Evil Horde

The sound of unshod feet slapping against the cavern floor gets louder as many figures burst into view from the darkness. Obviously Drow at one time, their features are gnarled and twisted into feral visages of the proud people they once were. Your experience tells you that these poor citizens of the Underdark have been turned to creatures of the midnight feeding: ghouls. While hunched over and moving with great agony, they close the distance with surprising speed, focusing on the visible forms by the statue.

Experience also tells you that they are minions.

Go, Bugbear!

MiketheMountain
2013-04-22, 04:36 PM

Finally noticing the rotten, shambling creatures charging towards him, Bugbear curls his lip in disgust. He's dealt with undead like this before, and the smell takes forever to get out of his clothes!

With practised ease, the grappler steps up on the side of the statue and leaps off like it was a ringpost corner, roaring like a minotaur, and tries to bring two hammering fists down on the soft skulls of the first ghouls that made the mistake of presenting themselves. Sadly, his age has not kept pace with his enthusiasm, and Bugbear lands off balance, failing to connect with his attacks. Nevertheless, there is no doubt that he now has their attention.

Tabletop:Minor Action: Bear Shape (Hybrid)
Move Action: Move to S14 (avoiding OAs if it needs to be said)
Standard Action: Dual Strike against Ghouls in S13 and T14

Ghoul in S13 - Attack vs AC: [roll0] (miss)
Damage (Radiant): [roll1]
Ghoul in T14 - Attack vs AC: [roll2] (miss)
Damage (Radiant): [roll3]

Both ghouls are marked.
Combat Notes:

Init +12 HP 124/124 Bloodied 62 Healing Surge 31 (0 used /10)

WaffleLord
2013-04-29, 11:40 PM
Sim

Your vantage point gives you brief warning of the horde that swarms over the plaza, but something a bit farther away does catch your eye. Two large gray figures rise into the air from a shadowed rooftop several blocks to the south. The shadows wheel about in the air and wing their way in your direction, following the screams and cries of the horde.

Plaza

Behind the drow horde, a muscular creature lumbers into view. It is definitely not Drow. Demonic heritage seems to ooze from this creature like a stagnant fog. It burbles lowly with joyless mirth as it sees new opponents. Gallumphing forwards it sets its sights on the wrestler.

Double move to V14.

Go, Garr!

Tegu8788
2013-04-30, 12:02 AM
Sim

Arrow drawn on one of the nearby oncoming corpse, Sim shivers, muttering to himself. "If they take the plaza, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins into their clothing. And, if we're very, very lucky, they'll do it in that order." Pulling himself back together, he draws the arrow back yet again, but before he can unleash his arrow, a moving blur in the distance catches his eye. Squinting, he makes out two shadows whirling above the buildings, flying behind the undead horde.

Shouting down to his allies, he redirects himself to cover a wider arc with his bow. "We got some kind of unpleasantness headin' our way, from the south. Flyers, chasing the runners. Things are about to get interesting."

Sim has a range of 15/30. Would that put the spinning nasties in his sights?

And is anyone else drawing a parallel with this fight to another, grand cinematic fight of late. Perhaps my cosplay to see IM3 early tomorrow is skewing my perception, but I see fun in our horizon.

Irish Musician
2013-04-30, 08:11 AM
Garr sees the little undead running around....easy pickings....then sees the big, hulk of an undead and smiles, This is going to be fun, he thinks to himself. In a flash he has his axe in his hand and his running towards his enemies. He gets just past the statue when his body changes into his hybrid bear form. Letting out a great roar, eh charges at the first enemy he sees, swinging his axe and hoping to find purchase.

Actions
Move - to P13
Minor - Bear form (Hybrid) +1 to AC and Fort
Charge - Enemy at S13, using Howling Strike in place of an MBA vs AC [roll0]
Damage - I'll roll it, but its a minion, so if I hit it I kill it
[roll1] + [roll2] radiant damage

If I drop the Minion, I gain 15 THP's, get +8 dmg to my next attack (+3 of which is UEMNT) and activate Swift Charge, charging the new (what I can guess is :smallamused:) non-minion enemy at V14
Charge - [roll3] vs AC
Damage - [roll4] + [roll5] radiant damage

Ridai
2013-04-30, 11:07 AM
Seeing the boys... blunder about spectacularly (Guess I ain't th' only one wi' a bad day, eh?), Grai decides to enter the fray, going directly for the demonic... whatever it is. Storming out of the alley, the orc woman batters down the demon immediately, following with a rain of blows to crush it into paste.

Free Activate radiant damage

Minor Berserker's Charge stance

Standard Charge at demon, moving from U8 to U13 (provoking no OAs)
Grai uses one result from her Dice of Auspicious Fortune (17) for the attack roll.
Thus 43 vs. Reflex
Activate Power Strike and Furious Assault
Hit: [roll0] radiant damage (brutal 1) + [roll1] damage and knock prone.
Final damage: 66

AP: Standard Rain of Blows vs. demon, 3 attacks with CA from prone and +5 damage from Headman's Chop
[roll3] vs. AC, [roll4] radiant damage (brutal 1) Miss
[roll5] vs. AC, [roll6] radiant damage (brutal 1)
[roll7] vs. AC, [roll8] radiant damage (brutal 1)
Brutal dice: [roll9]
Final damage: 37, 34, 37

Total damage: 137

WaffleLord
2013-04-30, 11:43 PM
As Grai's merciless onslaught ravages the creature, its ichor violently sprays all those near with a sickening stench. Grai, catching a full spray in her face fins herself unable to fully focus on the task at hand.

Grai takes 10 necrotic damage and is dazed until the end of the creature's next turn.

Tegu8788
2013-05-01, 08:23 PM
Sim - Plaza Rooftops

Moving towards the edge of the roof, Sim releases the string on his bow, firing a hardened shaft downwards. Finding purchase in a gap opened by Grai's brutal attack, the arrow sinks deep into the demon's thigh. Sighing, Sim looks at his now dead enemy, "I was aiming for his head."

Move: to S11
Minor: Bolstering Speech

Standard: RBA against Demon
Hit: Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15158003&postcount=6097) and Bugbear get's 6 THPs.

Because there is no kill like over kill.

I definitely need to retrain a few things when we get the chance. Hit prone enemies, get back Unicorn's Charge, get a more effective at-will.

sournote103
2013-05-02, 06:24 PM
Adrik made his way over to his allies and instructed them on where to attack the ghouls to best hinder them.

Move to T12
Commander's Strike to have Bugbear make a basic melee attack against the ghoul to his north with a +1 bonus to hit and a +4 bonus to damage.

MiketheMountain
2013-05-03, 10:24 AM
Bugbear's granted attack:
MBA against creature in S13
Attack: [roll0] vs AC
Damage: [roll1] damage (Radiant)

EDIT: Yay, minion crit! :smalltongue:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcgd6vuMEu1rwrucro1_500.gif

WaffleLord
2013-05-04, 05:58 PM
Linnea

Seeing the undead horde fires her blood. Stepping out from behind the statue, she fires radiant bolts at the nearest ghouls. ]"Begone, creatures of death! This place is not for you!"[/B] Pure white light lances forth and pierces the ghouls. They collapse, drained of negative energy. Linnea nods to herself in satisfaction.

Move to o12

Standard
Hand of Radiance vs T14, V13, and X14 Ref
T14 - [roll0]
V13 - [roll1]
X14 - [roll2]

WaffleLord
2013-05-04, 06:09 PM
Horde

The quickly thinning horde show no sign of stopping as they continue forward and slam into Grai. The half-orc chuckles to herself and shes dodges and blocks their attacks with ease.

Moves to V13 and V14

Attacks vs Grai AC - [roll0] and [roll1]

However, from the northern end of the plaza, a howling commotion gains in volume until a second mob bursts around the corner. The drow woman turns and fires her crossbow into the onrushing flood before being buried in bodies. Some stop to feast while other turn their attention to live meat.

Go, Bugbear (if you haven't left yet.)

WaffleLord
2013-05-06, 01:01 AM
Bugbear

Seeing the ghouls nearest him turn to ash makes the wrestler sigh in disappointment. But at the sound of a charging horde behind him, his chest inflates and a wide grin splits his grizzled maw.

"Ladies and gentleman," he calls as he charges into the group, shrugging off one ghouls clumsy attack. "Welcome to the party. No need to push or shove! There's plenty of room for all!." He slams his Battle Standard into the ground at his feet. As the horde is inexorably drawn to him, he cracks the knuckles of his mighty mitts and growls, "Come to Papa Bear!"

Move to M13.
Takes OpAt from one ghoul. [roll0]

Standard
Plant Battle Standard at M13.

WaffleLord
2013-05-06, 01:18 AM
Demon

From behind the second swarm comes another muscular demon. His giggles almost girlishly as he steps closer to the wrestler. Bugbear feels a wave of uneasiness wash over him, as if someone had stepped upon his future grave. It fixes him with its pineal eye and a blast of necrotic energy bathes Bugbear in its un-light, but the wrestler barely takes note of it.

Move to J13
Aura - Enemies within 3 squares suffer -2 to all defenses.

Eye blast vs Bugbear Fort-2 (38) - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]
Recharge - [roll2]

WaffleLord
2013-05-06, 01:40 AM
Flying Demons

Screeching from the south draws your attention. Swooping over the buildings come two large bird humanoid demons with large, feathered wings and sharp talons on their hands and feet. They split as they approach, one flying towards Sim, the other focusing on Grai. Both fly by their prey raking with their claws as they pass. The half-orc blocks the talons with a deft move of her gouge, but Sim finds no place to dodge as the claws dig deeply.

Spotted Sim with a 34 Perception
Flying Demon 1 vs Sim AC(31) - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

Flying Demon 2 vs Grai AC(33) - [roll2]
Damage - [roll3]

Go, all.

Tegu8788
2013-05-06, 06:39 AM
Sim - Plaza Rooftops

Finding himself under attack, Sim shouts at the two flying demons. "He chusheng zajiao de zanghuo!" Finding a better place to stand, the agile archer draws and fires another arrow. Just like I always told them, if something tries to kill you, you kill it right back!"

Minor: Curse Demons
Move: R11->Q11->P11->O10
Trigger Shadow Walk, gain concealment.
Stealth to remain hidden from the rest [roll0]

Standard: RBA against Flying Demon
Attack: [roll1]
Hit: [roll2] damage, plus [roll3] Curse damage, and Garr get's 6 THPs, and Sim get's 3 THPs. (52)

Edit: Crit!
Damage: (14) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15182149&postcount=6122)
No Action: Flash of Distraction
Effect: The enemy you hit is dazed and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

sournote103
2013-05-06, 06:57 AM
Adrik took stock of what was going on around him; the flying creatures were currently too high up for him to hit, so he decided it best to focus on the large group of creatures near Bugbear.
As he reached the formation of enemies, he called out for his allies to attack in a certain manner best suited to knocking their enemies down.

Moving to N3
Using Beat Them Into the Ground
Attack - [roll0] vs. Fortitude on the creature in square N4
Damage - [roll1], and the target is knocked prone.
Each ally within 5 squares of me gets to makes a basic attack (it does not specify basic melee or basic ranged) with a +1 bonus to hit against a target of their choice. They do no damage on a hit, but knock the target prone.

Irish Musician
2013-05-06, 12:47 PM
Frustrated that he was not doing enough to help because the undead were dodging him, Garr went for a smaller of the undead, swinging at it, and then hopefully for the demon, trying to tearing his flesh.

Actions
Standard - Charge to M12, hit M13 [roll0]28 vs AC
Damage - [roll1] + [roll2] radiant
No Action - Heroic effort to make my first hit a 28 - Which will hit it and kill it.

If I drop the Minion, I gain 15 THP's, get +8 dmg to my next attack (+3 of which is UEMNT) and activate Swift Charge, charging the demon (No OA's)
Charge - to L13 with Howling Strike (No OA's) [roll3] vs AC
Damage - [roll4] + [roll5] radiant

Ridai
2013-05-08, 01:29 AM
With the Flying Demon failing miserably at harming the aging half-orc, Grai's retaliation comes as swiftly as the demon came soaring.

Immediate reaction Counterstrike Guards MBA vs. Flying Demon
[roll0] vs. Reflex

If MBA hits:
Free Trip Up vs. Flying Demon
[roll3] vs. Reflex
Hit: [roll4] radiant damage (brutal 1) and knocked prone

Ridai
2013-05-08, 01:40 AM
Sadly, the demon flies away unharmed. Ah well, another demon is still well in reach. "Prep fer a smash'n'!" she shouts menacingly as with several quick steps, Grai is standing besides Garr, hammering down onto the demon standing in front of both.

Move to O11

Minor Single Out vs. Demon
Effect: Demon grants CA to Grai until her EoNT.

Standard Charge at demon, moving to K12
Hit: Activate Power Strike, trigger Surprising Charge. [roll1] + [roll2] radiant damage (brutal 1) and knocked prone.

WaffleLord
2013-05-08, 10:53 PM
As Grai's gouge slice through the demon, its ichor violently sprays all those near with a sickening stench. Both Grai and Garr feel nauseated and unable to fully focus on the task at hand.

Grai and Garr take 10 necrotic damage and are dazed until the end of the demon's next turn.

WaffleLord
2013-05-08, 11:18 PM
Linnea

"Well, I guess I'll clean up the trash," Linnea thinks to herself. Throwing forth beams of pure energy, she tries to erase the evil splotches from the world. The two ghouls dissipate with little fanfare while the flying demon's wing smokes where the beam strikes.

Finding her companions ill-equipped to attacked in the air, she digs deep within her resolve to cook up a little extra surprise for them. Setting free her gift, she lets it flutter up to the winged nasties before it erupts, trying to engulf them in its blossom. One wheels out of its path, but the other, with its wing still smoking from her previous strike, fails to dodge and is caught in its brilliance.
"Hee hee hee."

Standard
Hand of Radiance vs two eastern minions and Flying#2.
Minion V13 Ref - [roll0] HIT
Minion V14 Ref - [roll1] HIT
Flying # 2 Ref - [roll2] HIT
Damage - [roll3]

ACTION POINT
Smiting Blade at Flying #1 + #2
Flying#1 Fort - [roll4] MISS
Flying#2 Fort - [roll5] HIT
Damage - [roll6]

EFFECT: If target hits or misses you or ally before end of your next turn, it falls prone and slowed UEoYNT

Move to M12 for meat shields.

WaffleLord
2013-05-08, 11:39 PM
Sphere

The sphere's tendril's begin to writhe and flail wildly, lashing out, drawn to something. In one final surge, one glowing arms reaches down and strikes the demon. There is a flash of darkness and the demon is no longer seen.

WaffleLord
2013-05-08, 11:47 PM
Minions

The ghouls, hungry for the living flesh of others, attack those nearest them. Each of our attacked heroes find that after the creatures' strike, they are unable to move for their spot.

Attack vs Garr AC(31) - [roll0]
Attack vs Bugbear AC(35) - [roll1]
Attack vs Bugbear AC(35) - [roll2]
Attack vs Adrik AC(33) - [roll3]

Hits for everyone! Immobilization (save ends)

Go, Bugbear (or still on vacation?)

WaffleLord
2013-05-11, 11:36 AM
Bugbear

The wrestler tries to take a mighty step forward for better position but finds his legs unresponsive. Shrugging his Atlasian shoulders, he calls out, "Group hug, my lovelies!" Stretching wide his wing span, he tries to engulf all near him. Without his mobility, the two outside are able to stay out of his reach but the center one has no hope of avoiding the crushing grasp of Bugbear. It's broken body falls to the ground in a motionless lump as the wrestler pounds his legs trying to return feeling to the inert trunks. "Darn stompers! Come on, let's get dancing!"

Hydra Charge vs minions AC
left -
center - [roll1] HIT
right - [roll2]
Attack vs other pulled minion in OC
unnecessary damage - [roll]1d8+!0 wah-wah

save vs immobilized - [roll3]

Apologies for the bad rolling and dialogue.

WaffleLord
2013-05-11, 04:37 PM
Flying

One flying behemoth, seeming to not be in full control, is able to manage a clumsy sweeping attack at Sim.

The other swoops down upon the crowd, shrieking a powerful screech that shakes all that hear it. Grai and Adrik clap their hands to their heads, their brains pierced with unbearable pain. No sooner does it finish its call than a powerful force slows its flight and knocks it to the ground. It crashes into the wall of the building and slumps to the road.

Dazed Flying 1

Flyby attack vs Sim AC(31) at -6 -[roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

End flight at J9

Flying 2
Move to L15.
Stunning Screech, Close burst 3
vs Grai Fort(31) - [roll2] HIT
vs Garr Fort(31) - [roll3]
vs Bugbear Fort(40) - [roll4]
vs Adrik Fort(27) - [roll5] HIT
vs Linnea Fort(28) - [roll6]

Grai and Adrik stunned until end of flying's next turn

recharge - [roll7]
slowed and prone from Linnea Smiting Blade

Go, good guys!

Irish Musician
2013-05-12, 12:51 PM
Garr sees the flying creature on the ground is frustrated he isn't able to move from his spot at the moment to take advantage of its grounding. So he takes his anger out on the nearest minion to him.

Actions
Standard - Vigorous Strike on L14 vs AC [roll0]
Damage - [roll1], I gain 13THP's. If I kill it I gain, 15 THP's, +8 to my next damage (+3 of which stays UEMNT)

Tegu8788
2013-05-15, 07:32 PM
Sim - Plaza Rooftops

Taking a few steps back, before throwing himself off the roof while firing an arrow before landing on the adjacent roof. "Who said you could leave? This shindig is just getting started." The shaft strikes true, a resounding clap resounding through the Plaza.

Move: P9, then running jump (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15242359&postcount=6178) to L9, triggering Shadow Walk.
Minor: Greater Echoing Weapon

Standard: RBA against Demon 1
Hit: [roll1] damage, plus [roll2] thunder damage, and Bugbear gets 6 THPs.

Immediate: Shield of Devotion first ally that has lost more than 11 HP.

WaffleLord
2013-05-17, 12:29 AM
Linnea

"Grai! Adrik! Snap out of it!" Concern for her actionless teammates fills her every word. "Bugbear, help them!"

Raising her staff, she tries to weaken the fiends by summoning a rain of blood that pelts her enemies, burning and distracting them. The drow ghouls writhe and collapse to the ground but the flying beast shrugs it wings and ignore the falling liquid.

Rain of Blood, area burst 1 centered on M14, enemies only
vs minion left Fort - [roll0] HIT
vs minion right Fort - [roll1] HIT
vs flying 2 Fort - [roll2] MISS

Damage - [roll3]

Shift to N11

WaffleLord
2013-05-17, 12:39 AM
Sphere

One, two, three crashes of arcane energy snap through the darkness like the cracking of stone, brilliant flashes accompanying each. With a final crash, the wounded demon reappears, seemingly no worse for wear, but without any indicators of where he had been.

Tendrils begin to unwind from the sphere, waving violently, flailing randomly. One lashes out.......and strikes at the stunned half orc!

Who's next?
Flying1 = 1
Flying2 = 2
Sim = 3
Linnea = 4
Grai = 5
Garr = 6
Bugbear = 7
Adrik = 8

Our winner is - [roll0]

WaffleLord
2013-05-17, 12:44 AM
Sorry. Should have composed that previous entry better.

Attack vs Grai Ref - [roll0]

Damage - [roll1] plus ongoing 10 necrotic (save ends)

The half-orc gives a scream of pain and vanishes from sight!

Go, Bugbear!

MiketheMountain
2013-05-18, 03:06 PM

Bugbear shakes himself like a wet dog, trying to regain some control over his legs. Looking down, he sees one of the flying creatures being dragged towards him; the challenge of the Battle Standard too much for it to ignore. "Hello Birdie!!" the big grappler shouts, before jumping into the air and crashing down head-first onto the prone beast like a ballista's missile. Wrapping his python-like arms around its wings, Bugbear cinches down hard, grinding the creature's face into the stone floor.

Tabletop:Battle Standard of the Hungry Blade: Flying Demon 2 is pulled to L14/M15

Move Action: None
Minor Action: None
Standard Action: Pitiless Grapple against Flying Demon 2
Attack: [roll0] (+2 for CA from Prone included) vs Reflex
Damage: [roll1] (+1d10 from Claw Gloves included)
Flying Demon 2 is Grabbed
Until the grab ends, Bugbear's melee attacks against Flying Demon 2 can score a critical hit on a roll of 18-20

Save vs Immobilized: [roll2]
Combat Notes:
Grab escape attempts must be made against Bugbear's Fortitude (Inescapable Hold feat)
A prone enemy that is grabbed by Bugbear must escape the grab before it can stand (Pin Down feat)
Whenever Bugbear hits a slowed or immobilized target with an attack, he can knock it prone. (World Serpent's Grasp feat)
Bugbear does not grant Combat Advantage from being flanked. (Eyes in the Back of Your Head feat)

Tegu8788
2013-05-19, 10:05 PM
Sim - Plaza Rooftops

Finding himself closer to the winged horror than he would prefer, Sim dashes off back the way he had come from. "Hold it together people. You all are just too pretty to die!" he shouts as he disappears from sight, firing off an arrow. The bolt merely grazes the demon, going straight through the wing, Sim draws a second arrow, this one finding a better hold on Bugbear's playmate.

Minor: Mantle of Unity
Close burst 5
Target: You and each ally in the burst
Effect: Determine the highest AC, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will (40) among all the targets, not including any temporary bonuses or penalties. Until the end of your next turn, use these values for the corresponding defenses of all the targets.

Move: Untraceable Step to P10, jumping [roll0].
Effect: You become invisible and move up to your speed. You remain invisible until the end of your next turn.
Stealth: [roll1] to be hidden.

Standard: RBA vs Demon 1
Attack: [roll2] vs AC
Hit: [roll3] damage, and Adrik get's 6 THPs!

Free: Rebounding Shortbow
RBA vs Demon 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15267456&postcount=6205) and Adrik get's 6 THPs!

WaffleLord
2013-06-03, 11:28 PM
Demon

Returning from his jaunt, he finds himself still on the ground. Standing, he sees the bear of man beside him. With a scream, he tries to gouge the eyes from his hated enemy. Raking the barbarians face with its claws leaves Garr with a stinging wound and a sluggish spirit.

Claw attack vs Garr AC (35) - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1], ongoing 5 damage and slowed (save ends both)

WaffleLord
2013-06-03, 11:41 PM
Flying

The winged horror in the air wheels about, clearing its head and, losing the hengeyokai in the shadows, swoops down on Linnea, clawing and scrapping as it passes. Climbing back to safe height, it turns to survey its handiwork, but sees nothing but a smiling hamadryad

Flyby attack vs Linnea AC (35) - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

Ending move at O7.

WaffleLord
2013-06-03, 11:48 PM
Grai

Chaos.

Raw physical and emotional chaos.

Scenes, real and imagined, fly through the half-orc's semiconscious mind. Birth, death, friends come and gone, an earring, a funeral, a night in the woods in the company of that special friend, all turning to flame, then to ash, first wonderful, then twisted horribly. The mental onslaught continues unabated, tearing at the slayer's sanity and endurance.

Roll Endurance vs DC 25 to prevent losing healing surge
Roll Insight vs DC 25 to prevent dazed

WaffleLord
2013-06-03, 11:58 PM
Flying #2

Pinned beneath the hulking wrestler, the demon flaps and thrashes madly to escape his grasp. Frustrated, it screeches with fierce, harsh harmonics, trying to sap the strength of all around. With Sim's bolstering, no one seems to notice its forlorn cries. It seems to shrink in futility and resignation to its fate.

Talk about crit fishing!

Move
Escape - [roll0]

Stunning Screech
vs Garr Fort (40) - [roll1]
vs Bugbear (40) - [roll2]
vs Adrik (40) - [roll3]
vs Linnea (40) - [roll4]

recharge - [roll5]

Go, Garr, Adrik, and Linnea(?)

sournote103
2013-06-04, 06:25 AM
Each of the other demons further weakened than the one nearest to Adrik, that is where he elected to direct his attention. Waiting until the most opportune moment, he directed Bugbear to strike the flying demon.

Using Commander's Strike to grant Bugbear a free basic melee attack against flying demon 2 with +1 to hit and +4 to damage.

Irish Musician
2013-06-04, 08:45 AM
Garr gets slashed across the face by the demon, and lets a grunt out as it happens. When the demons looks at the damage he has done, he sees Garr smile and slash himself across the chest with his won claws. Then lifting his Axe above his head, he swipes at the demon's belly, trying to spill his guts out onto the stone, letting out a rejuvenating roar as he does it.

Actions
Blood Sacrifice - on Demon vs Fort [roll0]
Damage - [roll1] radiant dmg (as always), rolled 5 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15367309&postcount=335) for the extra damage + 5 for my Con mod =10 extra damage, and also my +8 for killing an enemy last turn.
Minor - Wellspring of Renewal - I gain 13 THP's

Save for Immobilized [roll2]
Save for Damage/slowed [roll3]

Tegu8788
2013-06-05, 07:24 AM
Sim

Demon

Returning from his jaunt, he finds himself still on the ground. Standing, he sees the bear of man beside him. With a scream, he tries to gouge the eyes from his hated enemy. Raking the barbarians face with its claws leaves Garr with a stinging wound and a sluggish spirit.

Claw attack vs Garr AC (35) - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1], ongoing 5 damage and slowed (save ends both)

From his perch Sim watches his friend take a brutal attack to his face. "Ow, that looks like that stings, even if it is a but hilarious. Buck up, and hit him right back!"

Shield of Devotion
Immediate Reaction Close burst 5
Trigger: An ally within 5 squares of you takes damage from an enemy attack.
Target: The triggering ally
Effect: The target regains hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier or Charisma modifier. Until the end of your next turn, you gain a +2 power bonus to your next attack roll against the enemy that damaged the target.
Level 11: The target regains hit points equal to 5 + your Wisdom modifier or Charisma modifier. (11)

WaffleLord
2013-06-06, 01:16 AM
Linnea

Feeling the focus by the flying beast, Linnea presents herself as the smallest target possible while hiding behind the biggest thing around. Slipping into ermine form, she slinks into Bugbear's shadow for protection while avoiding the wrestlers stomping boots.

Shape change and hide

WaffleLord
2013-06-06, 01:23 AM
Sphere

Tendrils of arcane energy snap through the air like furious whips, flashing and crackling. Suddenly, the half-orc reappears! Slightly unsteady and blinking hard, she looks around reorienting herself.

Snakes of chaotic energy slither around everyone in the square. One rears back and snaps at the snowy, fur clad hamadryad. Like the snap of a cobra, she disappears in a flash of light!

Go, Grai and Bugbear.

MiketheMountain
2013-06-06, 11:40 AM

Adrik's Granted Attack:
Grinding the demon's wings against their joints, Bugbear hears his old coach (or was it Adrik?) bark out an order to strike. Without thinking, the brawler twists and swings a vicious backhand into the creature's momentarily exposed groin.

Commander's Strike: MBA against Flying Demon 2 (+1 from CS, +2 from CA via prone)
Attack: [roll0] vs AC (MISS)
Damage: [roll1] (+4 from CS) Radiant + [roll2] (Claw Gloves) = **

Flying Demon 2 is marked by Bugbear

Bugbear's Turn:
As Grai reappears, Bugbear lets out a happy cheer! "Hey! Grai!! Nice of you to join us!" With a grunt and a smile, Bugbear drags the kicking winged beast away from his allies and continues to pummel it into the stones, first with a vicious uppercut then followed quickly with an elbow to what he hopes is the creature's temple.

Tabletop:
Battle Standard: Demon and Flying Demon 2 are slowed.

Move Action: Forceful Drag
Bugbear moves to L15
Flying Demon 2 is slid to M16/N17

Minor Action: none

Standard Action: Vicious Uppercut against Flying Demon 2 (+2 CA from prone)
Primary Attack: [roll3] vs AC
Damage: [roll4] Radiant + [roll5] = 24
Secondary Attack: [roll6] vs Fortitude
Damage: [roll7] Radiant + [roll8] = 26, and Flying Demon 2 is stunned until the end of Bugbear's next turn

Combat Notes:
Bugbear can score a critical hit with melee attacks against Flying Demon 2 on a roll of 18-20 (Pitiless Grapple attack)
Grab escape attempts must be made against Bugbear's Fortitude (Inescapable Hold feat)
A prone enemy that is grabbed by Bugbear must escape the grab before it can stand (Pin Down feat)
Whenever Bugbear hits a slowed or immobilized target with an attack, he can knock it prone. (World Serpent's Grasp feat)
Bugbear does not grant Combat Advantage from being flanked. (Eyes in the Back of Your Head feat)

Ridai
2013-06-06, 12:25 PM
Grai looks shaky as she reappears, trying to get the images out of her head, instead swinging at the demon besides her.
Standard Basic attack vs demon
[roll0] vs. Reflex

WaffleLord
2013-06-07, 01:35 AM
As Grai's gouge slices through the demon, foul energies spill out of the disintegrating beast poisoning those that are near.

Grai and Garr take 10 necrotic

Flying

The winged beast rolling around under Bugbear has barely enough mind to flap half-heartedly, but the one in the air, sensing ridiculous defeat, flies off over the buildings in search of easier meals.

Finish him!!

Ridai
2013-06-10, 03:42 PM
Gathering up her strength, Grai throws herself at the southern grounded demon.

I'm assuming the EoNT daze is gone?

Minor Berserker's Charge

Standard CHAAAAAARGE!
[roll0] vs Ref (includes CA)
Hit: [roll1] + [roll2] radiant damage (brutal 1)

And splatters it all across the floor.

Tegu8788
2013-06-11, 09:12 PM
Sim

Seeing his ally repair, and in apparent pain, Sim shouts out "Welcome back. Now get back up and finish this guy." Firing a bolt to emphasis his point, he leaps back to the adjacent roof, trying to get a better view of the plaza.

Minor: Skald's Aura on Grai, Surge+[roll0]

Standard: RBA vs Flying Demon 1
Attack: [roll1] vs AC
Hit: [roll2] damage, and Grai gets 6 THPs.

Move: To L9, Trigger Shadow Walk
Athletics: [roll3]

WaffleLord
2013-06-16, 01:00 AM
Plaza
With the flight of the last demon, things quiet down. As the last strangling sounds of the grounded creature fade, a final snap of energy flares and the sphere disappears from view, leaving nothing behind but a peaceful hole. Distant fighting and screams can be heard in different directions, but none in the direction of House Urlvrain.

There is no sign of the hamadryad.

Ridai
2013-06-16, 04:29 AM
With the battle over, Grai takes a moment to observe the shape the group is in. "Where's Linnea?" She looks around more, moving across the plaza. "C'mon girl, this ain't funny no more." Reaching where the portal used to be, she looks between the corpses, more and more frantically. Until the realization sets in. With a guttural howl, the half-orc eviscerates the demon corpses lying near her until they are an absolutely revolting pile of blood and guts strewn about. Heaving and breathing like an enraged feral bull when she is done, her voice is hard and severe. "Where to?" A pause. "Where to so c'n gut these *************?"

Irish Musician
2013-06-16, 01:43 PM
After the battle Garr, too, notices that a certain little, fuzzy animal is not with them. He looks around smaller places, crevices, looking for Linnea. He notices Grai's rage coming out and being taken out on the dead corpses of the demons. He doesn't stop her, he knows better, but waits until she is done. "Grai....I know how you feel, but we must keep a level head. If we charge into a situation without thinking, it could get us in trouble. We will find Linnea, I promise, but we can't fly off the handle." He touches her shoulder, "For Linnea we must keep a wise head on our shoulders. Let us take a moment and gather ourselves and make sure no one else is lost to us." Garr looks around confirming that the others are still with them, even the sneak one on the roof.

A five minute rest, I think, would be good.

Ridai
2013-06-16, 02:37 PM
"Don' promise wha' cha can't keep." Grai swats away his hand. "'n' don' cha ******* lecture me, pup." Her words are piercing, but cold instead of boiling with untold anger. She seats herself a bit away from the group, crushing another demon's head underfoot like an overripe melon as if she was stepping on a bug, treating her wounds, waiting to get going.

Irish Musician
2013-06-17, 10:08 AM
Garr took Grai's reaction at face value and didn't take offense. Nor did he press the issue with her either. He looked around at his comrades and then around the square for that drow they had seen. "We should get out of the streets and into somewhere safe, before more of these monsters come and find us."

Tegu8788
2013-06-19, 09:26 AM
Sim - Plaza Rooftops

Watching the carnage down below, Sim pauses, and takes a step back from the edge of the roof. The anger was completely understandable, he had felt it many times before himself. It wasn't the anger, it was how effectively that it was channeled into making an organic soup puddle that frightened him.

Taking a look around, Sim tries to find a safe place for the group to disappear to, and gather themselves.

WaffleLord
2013-06-20, 12:05 AM
Nearly every storefront door is boarded up from the outside, a telltale sign that these stores were closed then abandoned. The building to Sim's east, upon whose roof he spent most of the battle, looks particularly appealing. A raised and narrow entrance limits intruders' passage. No windows aids in defense, although it hinders escape.

Many choices, no obvious right answer. The streets remain, for the moment, empty. A quick slip into a building would probably go unnoticed.

Tegu8788
2013-06-20, 12:14 AM
Sim - Plaza

Shifting into a more agile form, he swings down onto the doorframe of the adjacent building. He waves towards the party of brutes, before ducking inside the doorway itself, standing on the inner doorframe.

Ridai
2013-06-22, 04:31 PM
Grai, while upset, isn't (all that) stupid, so she heads into the building.

Irish Musician
2013-06-22, 04:45 PM
Garr followed the others into the building as well, feeling is best to get out of the open streets before more undead and demons come to attack them.

WaffleLord
2013-06-23, 02:44 PM
Adrik and Bugbear hurry inside as well.

The interior of the shop is gutted. No fixtures hang on the walls, no furniture remains except for one comfortable chair in the southwest area next to a small table. Movable racks, screens, and hangers lay strewn upon the floor. Odd paper shapes lay burned in the northeast corner under a pile of rubble that has fallen from a corner of the roof. With minor investigation, you decide that this was a tailors shop. Not a fortress but defensible enough for a short rest to plan your next move.

Tegu8788
2013-06-23, 08:56 PM
Sim

Dropping down from the doorway as he grows taller, Sim shuts it behind him. Pulling out a simple woodwind instrument, he plays a low, simple, soothing melody. It has dark, somber tones, a song for remembering those no longer with you that were important in the past, that were taken all too quickly. Drawing to a close on a long, low note, Sim returns the instrument to it's carrying bag. Looking up, it can be seen in his eyes that this far from the first time he's played this song.

"So, what do we do now? Continue through the streets, or turn back. While I'm certainly no fan of the Drow, this is just wrong."

Song of Rest, for each surge spent, you get 6 extra HP.

Ridai
2013-06-24, 05:00 AM
"Get t' th' drowsy boss chick 'n' gut demons."

WaffleLord
2013-06-27, 09:36 PM
Bugbear

The wrestler sat cross-legged on the floor nodding forward almost as if asleep for several minutes. Then, slamming his open palms on the ground with a clap as startling as thunder, he launched to his feet as screamed to the heavens, "You'll not keep our friend, even if I must split the ether itself, YOU WILL NOT HAVE HER!"

Energized anew, the man-mountain stomps around the store chomping at the bit. "What are we waiting for? Let's send these demons packing!"

WaffleLord
2013-06-27, 09:45 PM
Adrik

The warlord also seems ready to howl at the loss of his comrade. He shakes his fur twice and with a scratch behind his ear, which may have concealed the wiping of a tear, he says, "We shouldn't wait too long. The fiends have a loose organization but you can bet that flying one is reporting to somebody that we're here. Chaotic doesn't mean stupid. We better get going."

Ridai
2013-06-28, 10:12 AM
"'ve had it 'th sitt'n' 'round." Grai just gets up, gets out of the door and heads to the main drow house.

Irish Musician
2013-06-30, 02:28 PM
Garr listened to everyone, trying to take everything that had happened in for a moment, then his friend Grai decided she was tired of waiting around. "Grai- ", but he knew she was gone already and wouldn't be swayed. "Well, I'm not letting her walk alone out there," and Garr picked up his things and caught up to her.

Tegu8788
2013-07-02, 05:50 PM
Sim

Pulling out his shortbow, he draws a special arrow and knotches it, ready to draw and fire at a moments notice. Moving swiftly from house to house, he quickly moves to the front line, looking for any sign of undead drow in the shadows, or flying demons in the sky.

WaffleLord
2013-07-04, 06:30 PM
As you leave the building with Adrik and Bugbear trailing along, small shadows scurry away from what's left of the undead drow. The demons left little behind but blackened ichor stains on the pavestones.

Garr
Slipping into the shadows next to the fallen drow by the fountain is a larger shadow, man sized, moving with definite purpose but as you move on there is no one around the fountain

The sounds of distant battle are far away and indistinct. No breeze stirs the dust on the streets as you make your way cautiously along the road leading north towards House Urlvrain. Most storefronts fare no better than the one that gave you refuge, but an occasional glint of light from a second story or a rustle of drapery gives you clues to believe that not all have fled or died. Several blocks up the way, a piercing shriek sounds and is abruptly cut off. It would seem that the second flying demon met someone with ranged weapons who finished what you started.

Garr
At several points, you see that same shape and size shadow disappearing stealthy into darkened corners ahead of you only to by empty as you come closer.

Turning a gentle corner you begin to see the face of House Urlvrain. Tall and imposing, its facade extends only fifteen feet from the back wall the cavern, but uses that space to create spires rising towards the roof, small vaulted archways with statues depicting several forms of Lolth, and many small, defensible windows. The banners of leadership hang from two small balconies fifty feet from the street level. Even without the banners, the thirty or so armed drow guards in front of the entrance would be a subtle clue that his was the place.

They are already looking down you street, as if expecting you. The front two ranks in black plate armor have spears at the ready but not prepared to strike. A third rank hold rods, and at the top of the short stairs, standing in the closed doorway with her longsword at her side is the obvious leader of the soldiers. Several times as you come closer, she leans closer to the shadows at her side.

Grai, Garr, Sim
She seems to be listening to a drow hiding in the shadows beside her.
Garr
He appears to be the same size and shape of the shadow that you saw at the fountain and on the way here.

Ridai
2013-07-05, 10:38 AM
"Oy." Grai starts the probably brief conversation. "We wanna fin' where th' demon lil ***** com'n' from."

Irish Musician
2013-07-05, 11:38 AM
Talking low and to his compainions, Garr speaks, "It seems that the Drow's army leader up there is talking to another. And I didn't say anything before, but I think whoever she is talking to has been following us since we left the the empty house. We should be careful here."

Tegu8788
2013-07-05, 04:32 PM
Sim

Coming around the corner and seeing the wave upon wave of Drow warriors at the ready, he finds a place behind the larger of his compatriots. "Be careful at the gate of a heavily armed Drow house that has been spying on us from the time we set foot down here? Yeah, that's some good ideas you've got there. Perhaps I should also avoid shooting myself in the foot while I'm at it.

I've some experience with Drow. Perhaps I should take the lead." Despite his offer, the short man seems in no haste to move back to the front, much less do anything particularly attention seeking.

WaffleLord
2013-07-06, 12:34 AM
Bugbear

The wrestler steps to the forefront. "Don't worry, lads, and miss," he adds giving a nod to Grai. "I've handled adoring masses before. The trick is to give 'em what they want. Show them what they came to see." Bugbear takes a few steps forward, cracking his knuckles and loosening up his shoulders before going into a low crouch. "LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!" he shouts as he launches himself into the air, pumping his massive arms up and down. He circles to the left and right, growling, prowling, and slapping his chest with his fists. The front ranks stirs a bit, a few gripping their spears tighter while some just stare slack jawed.

He stops fifteen feet from the first row, dead center. "Lock up the breakables, tap the finest keg, and hide your women! When the Boulder rolls into to town, he is going to ROCK..YOU..GOOD!" He strikes his three favorite poses: Erupting Volcano, his mentor's trademark, the Coiled Dragon, and his own favorite, the Menacing Bugbear. With a final roar of glorious triumph, he stands, breathing slightly harder than he should be, hands of his hips, beaming.

WaffleLord
2013-07-06, 12:47 AM
The front ranks hold their composure with great effort. One caster in the third row passes out cold, slumping to the ground.

The lead soldier leans one more time to the shadow as if double checking then calls out to the troops in elven. With practiced precision, a ten foot alley appears between the ranks, leading to the front door. The soldiers stand at formal attention. At the top of the stairs, the lead soldier gives a gesture to proceed and says in heavily accented Common, "The Matron would like a word with you....please." The last word coming more quietly than the rest.

Bugbear cracks his neck to each side, looks over his shoulder at the rest of the group and, winking, says, "See? Gotta know your audience," strides forth waving jovially to the soldiers on each side, and slaps the front two on their shoulders as he passes. Their muscles tighten but they do not respond.

Garr, Sim
The leader called out in elven, "Let the idiot and the rest pass. The Matron says to harm them not, unless they are overly foolish. Again."

Ridai
2013-07-06, 02:11 AM
Grai sighs and heads towards the building.

Irish Musician
2013-07-08, 09:33 AM
Garr grips his axe a little tighter as he passes the guards, ready for anything. And as he passes the leader drow, he says something to her in elven.

Those that speak it:
"We are not easily harmed, and do not appreciate threats on our lives when we are here to help."

Tegu8788
2013-07-08, 09:43 PM
Sim

Placing his arrow back in it's quiver and his bow on his back, but places his hands firmly on the hilts of his sword blades as he walks forwards. Just great, we are being taken in by a heavily armed Drow how while their city is under attack, and the meatshield is making threats. We are so humped. For the sake of those around him not familiar with the elven tongue, he adds out loud, "I'd keep the shenanigans to a minimum, these Drow don't seem to be interested in throwing very much of a shindig." Despite his nervousness, he flashes best smile, and mentions out load in Elfish, to no one in particular."Quite the lovely fortress-house you've folks got yourselves here. Well defended, nice ambiance, no nasties walking around."

Diplomacy to make them less hostile: [roll0]

WaffleLord
2013-07-09, 01:26 AM
Garr
As you speak the drow warrior, her eyes widen that a mere human would understand her words. She sets her jaw and strides forward ahead of your group. You look to the shadow by the entrance but that figure has made his escape again.

Sim
You heara light snicker from the back row of casters as you make your way inside.

All
The main hall entrance is much narrower and far less grand than a surface palace would be. While the 25 foot high vaulted ceiling does give you the feeling of grandiose, the hallway in only twenty feet wide with rows of spider statues on both sides, meaning only two can walk side by side.

Garr, Grai, Sim
You notice the tip of a small dart barely protruding from the mouth of each spider, but as none have fired, you assume trap is deactivated.

After fifty feet, the hallway branches left and right for another fifty feet in each direction. Those corridors, while also twenty feet wide, seem more spacious for they only have one statue. At the end of each stands a twenty foot tall drow woman statue carved from obsidian. Tall and regal, the women are shaped in regal robes with scolding, judgmental faces. The leading drow warrior looks neither left nor right but pushes open a pair of double doors in front of her. Before passing through, she turns and says in Common, "Touch nothing."

WaffleLord
2013-07-09, 01:38 AM
A massive torture chamber spreads before you, its stone floor spattered with gore. A pathway leads down the center of the room between two large 20x30 foot pits, filled with implements of torture. In the western pit, sitting on a stool is a drow wearing a grinning mask. His eyes track you as you walk across. In the eastern pit, two ogre guards munch on their mystery meat meals. Whipping posts on the far east wall are hung with bloody manacles. To the west, a throne stitched from humanoid bones stands empty, a vacant viewing seat for the evil festivities. Across the pathway, another set of double doors awaits.

Without a glance to the sides, the drow leader continues to march across the room and push open the double doors.

WaffleLord
2013-07-09, 01:51 AM
At last you come to what must be the throne room. The entry way widens quickly to fifty feet wide and thirty-five feet high. It the center stands a large statues, blackened and dripping with putrid ooze. Beyond it, the chamber expands into a circular dome, a large black pillar thirty feet in diameter stretched skyward. A narrow spiral staircase runs around side of the pillar. Two columns of pale blue flame burn before the pillar on either side. A mosaic at the height of the dome shows a leering drow face, the ceiling around it strung with cocooned bodies that twist between two large spiders prowling there. At the top of the pillar stands a masked drow female in chainmail, laughing as she looks down upon you.

"Well, well. Look at the wonders the the Lady Fortune has sent to Us this day. Saviors of the Underdark, are you? Your silly merchant baubles fool no one. Tell Us quickly," she says her voice changing from light mocking to stern, accusation, "what further troubles have you brought Us and Our people?"

Irish Musician
2013-07-09, 02:03 AM
Having learned a little bit about the drow from his family, the elven village, Garr steps forward and gives a bow to the matron, addressing her first in elven and then moving back to common to everyone can understand, "Matron, thank you for taking us into your home, you are too kind. We are here to investigate some goings on we were told about. We have heard that a new Exarch of Orcus is on the rise, and that the place he would be rising would be near here. It seems we have arrived while the undead already roam. We are here to kill them and stop the ascension of the new Exarch."

I do other languages in Italics

Ridai
2013-07-09, 03:27 AM
As the matron laughs, a sarcastic grunt emits from Grai's throat as if she barely can suppress laughter at the ridiculous MWAHAHAHA display.

Tegu8788
2013-07-09, 11:43 PM
Sim

Pinching the bridge of his nose as his allies continue to behave as the idiots the Drow already think they are. Perhaps if they can convince the Drow that they are so naive that they are not a threat, maybe they can be released without the full Drow treatment.

But not likely. They'd also prove they are unable to be of use, and be thrown into those torture pits for amusement while the warriors continue to fight outside. And that possibility was very, very, unpleasant. His free hand making a tense fist, clenching the fabric of his glove tight, he suppresses memories of his previous encounters with Drow pits. The dull pain in his ear burned momentarily from where it had been reattached. Breathing deeply out through his nose, he drops his hands from his face, and speaks as best he can.

"We were hired to kill the new Exarch of Orcus, whose army appears to running amok outside this palace. Your agents have seen what we are capable of doing. We are not your allies, but we are enemies of the army outside your gates. Give us what you can spare, and point us at your worst problem. If we succeed in killing them, you win. If we are slain, you haven't lost any warriors nor does anything tie back to you. And again you win. Hold us here, and while I have no doubt you can overpower us, we will make more of a mess than we are worth, and you will lose warriors better spent defending your citadel. Clearly, my colleges are here to kill, and they seem to have quite the aptitude for it. At your Grace's digression, I would recommend you aim your bow, and fire us at the source of your undead plague, and we will be out of your luxurious hair post-haste."

Despite his desire not to be the attention of the Drow matron, his desire to be out of her company is even stronger.

I'll do italics as well for Elvish.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

WaffleLord
2013-07-11, 12:01 PM
House Urlvrain

The Matron stares at the five of you as she contemplates what you have said. After several moments, she speaks, her edge less sharp but her voice still imperious and commanding. "Very well. We have heard of your skill against the troubles outside. You may be of some use to Us."

She turns and paces a wide arc around the edge of her lofty column. "It pains us to say that we know the source of this trouble. She is Lareen, a young would-be Matron of House Anohlroc. She plays a foolish game for power, sweeping clean the game board. She has deceived others who were loyal to Us. If We must 'fire you', my little fletchlings, then the first mark must be her support. She has corrupted a pair of Our templars who use power of Our Queen to sustain her efforts to summon the Exarch. Destroy them and retrieve the Talisman of Lolth from their altar. That will weaken her enough for the final blow."

She snaps to face you. "If you fail Us, you fate is theirs to decide. Succeed," she breaks into a somewhat appealing grin, "and We can be generous. Maarth, My servant, will lead you where you need to go." She gestures behind you and you see a figure step out of the shadows. It appears to be the same shadowy figure you say speaking to the drow leader outside.

She steps to the back of the column and out of sight.

You feel dismissed.

WaffleLord
2013-07-12, 01:39 PM
You are led out the same way you came in by Maarth. You can tell by his step that he is no ordinary servant. His prowling gait and watchful eyes are more feral than elven. Once out of the house, he guides you slowly east. As you pass, you notice that there are ten fewer guards than before, and the sound of fighting in the south sounds closer.

"Four houses up, on the edge of the plateau." Although he whispers, his gentle tones carry on the wind to each of you

Ridai
2013-07-12, 02:40 PM
Gouge in hand, Grai heads there with heavy, quick steps, weapon already shining with radiance.

Irish Musician
2013-07-12, 02:59 PM
Garr, too, grips onto his very large axe a little tighter and his axe crackles with radiant energy, following the Drow to look around the fourth house to see what is going on.

[roll0]
Ugh, would rather have my passive :smallsigh:

Tegu8788
2013-07-12, 05:46 PM
Sim - House Urlvrain

Happy to be lead away from the Drow leader, Sim follows the all but savage man. "Subverted Templars, this will be interesting." His target in view, he moves quickly ahead, doing his best to stay out of view while looking for anyone that might see them coming and alert the traitors.

Stealth: [roll0] to become hidden.
Perception: [roll1] to look for sentries.

WaffleLord
2013-07-13, 10:52 PM
Garr
Flies from a nearby corpse buzz around your head distracting you from seeing what's around you at the moment.

Sim
No sentries seem present that your can see. Maarth turns to speak to you again, looks startled, and darts his eyes around looking for you momentarily before giving up and facing forward again.

Maarth turns to speak to you again, looks startled, and darts his eyes around momentarily, then shrugs. As he turns forward again, he freezes, crouches low, and whispers harshly, "Get to the walls!" He moves to the outside wall of the nearest House at a crouched scurry like a spider.

Bugbear laughs aloud, "Well, my crawly friend, you may relax. We have met these types before and were not impressed. Did I tell you? It was grand! Three beset me from the right and two.."

With a great snap and crackle, a newly formed sphere wraps Bugbear in a tendril of energy and, with a look of surprise on his face, the wrestler vanishes.

"Stay low!!" hisses Maarth as he scuttles around the corner out of line with the growing sphere. "Here! Behind this!"

Ridai
2013-07-14, 03:16 AM
Grai growls, her fury only deepening as she follows.

Irish Musician
2013-07-15, 09:52 AM
Garr sees his friend scooped up into the ball of energy, and he too growls. But along with his growl comes other changes. He starts to get slightly hairier and his hands start to turn slightly. He doesn't grown into his full hybrid bear form, but he certainly looks a lot more bear-like.

WaffleLord
2013-07-15, 12:18 PM
Maarth

"It's best we remain here until it fades. 'Tis a shame about your fighter. He was....impressive."

His eyes never seem to stop darting this way and that. "I saw your work in the plaza. You can handle trouble, for certain, but stay sharp with the templars. They have Lolth's favor" He takes a quick swig from his hip flask, peers around the corner, and sits back on his haunches ready to spring but oddly relaxed.

Irish Musician
2013-07-15, 12:25 PM
Garr eyes the drow, "I care not who's favor they have, including your spider queen's. If they are in my way, they will die."

WaffleLord
2013-07-15, 06:28 PM
Maarth

Shrugging subtly, he says, "Very confident words, but I can't help but notice your team of six is now four, and one of them keeps vanishing. The monkey man returns when needed, yes? Lareen's very persuasive and devious. You'll get no quarter from her followers. They follow blindly, believing any lies she tells them." At this he looks to the ground. "She believes many of her own lies as well."

WaffleLord
2013-07-17, 11:04 PM
You hear a resounding sizzle as the sphere vanishes. Maarth looks twice around the corner before nodding and leading you out.

Past two more side streets, you come to the final manor in the row. It has seen better days and shows some signs of wear gone ignored. It may have been impressive many decades ago, but now only window dressing kept it from being laughable.

Across a twenty foot wide bridge spanning the lower quarter stands a temple to the Demon Queen. Maarth gestures to the building. "They do her bidding in their, protected by their sorceries. I will not cross the bridge. If you return, I will meet you here." He steps back into the shadows of the House and is near invisible.

Irish Musician
2013-07-17, 11:18 PM
Garr grunts in recognition of Maarth's plan. He takes is axe in his hands, gripping it and really feeling it in his hands, and he looks over at Grai, "Well old friend.....shall we knock on the door?", Garr's axe crackling with radiant power as he looks over at her and gives her a half smile that is accompanied by sad, and angry, eyes for their friends.

Tegu8788
2013-07-17, 11:41 PM
Sim

From his hidden position, Sim watches the feral Drow slip into shadows of his own. Clearly not eager to cross the bridge, that tells Sim all he needs to know. Where the Drow wouldn't go, that is exactly where Sim wanted to be. And while no expert on what kept shallowing his companions, he thought it wise to try and keep an eye out for them in the future.

[roll0]

Ridai
2013-07-17, 11:51 PM
Grai just answers with a growl, walking forward, straight to the manor. It is time for more carnage. Right now, always is the time for more carnage. She thoroughly kicked their sorry elfsy asses before on their home turf, she's gonna do it again all day, every day.

Irish Musician
2013-07-18, 08:09 AM
Garr walks with Grai, marching on the house like very bloody battle is about to happen because, well, it is. As they near the door, were they to look at Garr, they notice that he has once again changed into his hybrid bear form, ready to tear Drow in two.

As they get up to the door, he raises his foot and kicks them open, and charges the nearest drow to him.

[roll0] Athletics for kicking in the door, if needed