PDA

View Full Version : Turning an Animated Dead controlled by another Cleric

Valdis
2013-01-22, 12:38 AM
Ok, I have done a bunch of searching and I think I'm overthinking this.
I have 3 Animated Dead creatures under my control.
I have:
Young Zombie Black Dragon (10 hd)
Skeletal Hill Giant (12 hd)
Skeletal Demon, Ghour (12 hd)

I'm a level 10 Cleric, charisma bonus of +2

If someone wanted to turn, rebuke, command or destroy my minions... what would they need to roll in order to do that? Would we make opposing rolls?

Would this fall under the catagory of: (or is it totally different?)
Dispelling Turning
An evil cleric may channel negative energy to dispel a good cleric’s turning effect. The evil cleric makes a turning check as if attempting to rebuke the undead. If the turning check result is equal to or greater than the turning check result that the good cleric scored when turning the undead, then the undead are no longer turned. The evil cleric rolls turning damage of 2d6 + cleric level + Charisma modifier to see how many Hit Dice worth of undead he can affect in this way (as if he were rebuking them).

Urpriest
2013-01-22, 12:51 AM
It's completely different. You're controlling the character with Animate Dead, they aren't turned. The other cleric turns them normally.

Valdis
2013-01-22, 01:10 AM
It's completely different. You're controlling the character with Animate Dead, they aren't turned. The other cleric turns them normally.

Well, that sucks. A level 6 cleric can turn what I have if he rolls well.

How would I go about making it harder to turn my minions?
Would Bolster Resistance be a good idea or are there better alternatives out there?

How I understand it Bolster Resistance gives +4 to turn resistance. So would that basically be the same as raising the HD +4 during turn attempts?

Thanks

The Viscount
2013-01-25, 11:33 PM
Bolster Resistance is an OK feat, though ask yourself before taking it how many clerics you are going to run into. Something such as Bagpipes of the damned from Libris Mortis will also give +4 turn resistance, though requires a DC 15 perform check. If you feel that all this turn resistance is necessary, you can take Necromantic Presence, also from Libris Mortis.

Alternatively, you can use your rebuke attempts to protect your undead as described here under turning rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#turnOrRebukeUndead) under the section "evil clerics and undead." Note that this is a bit unreliable, as it varies on your check.

Once a good cleric has turned your undead, you may then attempt to dispel turning as you mentioned below.

Valdis
2013-01-26, 12:21 AM
Bolster Resistance is an OK feat, though ask yourself before taking it how many clerics you are going to run into. Something such as Bagpipes of the damned from Libris Mortis will also give +4 turn resistance, though requires a DC 15 perform check. If you feel that all this turn resistance is necessary, you can take Necromantic Presence, also from Libris Mortis.

Alternatively, you can use your rebuke attempts to protect your undead as described here under turning rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#turnOrRebukeUndead) under the section "evil clerics and undead." Note that this is a bit unreliable, as it varies on your check.

Once a good cleric has turned your undead, you may then attempt to dispel turning as you mentioned below.

I was just worried about having some cleric come by and turning all the creatures that I worked so hard go get.
I'm doing a solo campaign, level 11 now... my last encounter was with a Sarkrith Spelleater that had a CR of 13, was not an "easy" victory.
I would like to protect it, but I can always get something else. It's not every day you can get a skeletal minion that strong.... I had to get rid of the hill giant but kept the black dragon and Ghour.

Urpriest
2013-01-26, 12:34 AM
I was just worried about having some cleric come by and turning all the creatures that I worked so hard go get.
I'm doing a solo campaign, level 11 now... my last encounter was with a Sarkrith Spelleater that had a CR of 13, was not an "easy" victory.
I would like to protect it, but I can always get something else. It's not every day you can get a skeletal minion that strong.... I had to get rid of the hill giant but kept the black dragon and Ghour.

Turning doesn't lose you access to the creatures, though. It's just like if you had living minions and someone cast a fear spell on them. Once you kill the offending cleric, they'll come back.

Valdis
2013-01-26, 12:47 AM
Turning doesn't lose you access to the creatures, though. It's just like if you had living minions and someone cast a fear spell on them. Once you kill the offending cleric, they'll come back.

Oh, I did not realize that. All better now :smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2013-01-26, 01:00 AM
Oh, I did not realize that. All better now :smallbiggrin:

Now, a very high level cleric could turn them to dust, but that requires that the cleric be twice the level of your undead, which is rather unlikely even in a tough campaign.

Valdis
2013-01-26, 01:09 AM
Now, a very high level cleric could turn them to dust, but that requires that the cleric be twice the level of your undead, which is rather unlikely even in a tough campaign.

I was actually going to mention that but didn't. My Sarkrith Spelleater has 15HD so it would have to be a very powerful Cleric indeed.