PDA

View Full Version : Racial Talents for a Dark Sun Warrior, Rogue, & Mage Campaign

saintstardust
2013-01-22, 01:58 AM
Hi guys, I'm trying to draft up some flavorful racial Talents for a homebrew Warrior, Rogue, & Mage game in the Dark Sun setting. These Talents include a benefit and a drawback. Here's what I've got so far:

Human: Select any non-racial Talent for which you qualify.
Dwarf - Stubborn Focus: Select a cause or goal. You gain a +2 bonus on skill checks that directly affect the cause or goal. Whenever you are diverted from your cause or goal (either by choice or by force), roll 1d6. On a 1-3, you suffer a -2 penalty to all checks until you accomplish some goal-related task set by the DM (You retain the regular +2 bonus during this time, at an effective bonus of +0).
Elf - Infamous Nomad: You gain a +1 bonus to movement. When meeting a non-elf individual or group for the first time, roll 1d6. On a 1-3, you must make an Interaction (conning) or Thievery check to exert some insidious control over your latest victim. If you fail your check, you receive a -2 penalty on all further checks against this individual or group.
Half-Elf - Outcast Affinity: You befriend a small animal. This animal alerts you of potential danger; make a 1d6 roll on surprise rounds. If you roll a 4-6, you may act in surprise rounds. Every test related to social interaction with a member of the human or elf races is modified by -3.
Half-Giant - Naive Colossus: When making Warrior checks, roll two d6 and take the highest result. You take a -2 penalty to Initiative rolls. When casting a spell, you roll two d6 and take the lowest result.
Halfling - Little Cannibal: You may consume the corpse of a living creature after battle to regain health equal to your highest attribute. You take a -1 penalty to movement due to your size.
Mul - Slaveborn Determination: You regain 1 additional health points whenever you receive healing or rest. When casting a spell, you roll two d6 and take the lowest result. The scars of slavery reduce your starting health by 2.
Thri-Kreen - Hivemind Hunter: You gain a +2 bonus to Defense that does not stack with armor but counts as armor for the purposes of determining Mana cost. You possess a mandible attack that deals 1d6-2 damage and is considered an unarmed attack.

Any ideas on what to change and/or what to add? Any seem too weak or too powerful? Not sure how I would do Pterran or Aarakocra, if at all. Thanks for the help!

JustPlayItLoud
2013-01-22, 03:48 AM
The trait for muls seems awful. Slightly increased healing doesn't really make up for being magically crippled. And in my experience, WR&M combat is pretty lethal so -2 health is fairly likely to get you killed despite being of a race known for their combat prowess.

saintstardust
2013-01-22, 12:23 PM
The trait for muls seems awful. Slightly increased healing doesn't really make up for being magically crippled. And in my experience, WR&M combat is pretty lethal so -2 health is fairly likely to get you killed despite being of a race known for their combat prowess.

Hmm... how about:
Mul - Slaveborn Determination: Your maximum health increases by (Warrior+Rogue)/2. You are unfamiliar with mercy. Whenever you receive beneficial spells, roll 1d6. On a roll of 1 or 2, the beneficial spell has no effect.

Driderman
2013-01-24, 04:00 AM
I'm not familiar with the system, but why are some of the talents mediocre AND have negative aspects as well, while others seem to be just good with no downside?