PDA

View Full Version : Craft Staff and possibilities.

kimfu
2013-01-22, 03:34 AM
I'm new to d&d and am currently playing 3.5. I acquired the "Craft Staff" feat.
So i'm wondering if i can make something like:

Staff with 50x Fireball charges and Metamagic Quicken.

Staff with X charges of X spell with dou Metamagic, Quicken and Maximize.

Staff with x charges of x spell with one metamagic feat and a special ability.

Staff with x charges of x spell with metamagic feat and bonus spells per day.

I'm not sure how staves work actually, so i don't know if there's a limit to the creation. They told me that in d&d we could virtually create anything we could imagine, so i'd like to know if i can craft a staff like that??
Maybe even better? or is this too much??

Any staves ideas are appreciated, i personally favor evocation and necromancy, but any school is good :smalltongue:

ericgrau
2013-01-22, 03:49 AM
You can put any spells you want into the staff. Metamagic adjusted spells simply count as higher level spells; you can't put metamagic by itself into a staff. All the spells must share the same pool of charges and each one costs a certain number of charges from the staff.

More details here:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingStaffs

As for which spells to put in it, I would select spells that you like to spam out when you use them, but not necessarily spells that you use everyday. Wall of force and empowered enervation are good options. In the case of wall of force I would also prepare a copy in addition to the staff since I might use it everyday. But with empowered enervation I usually wouldn't prepare any copies and rely entirely on the staff. Because some days I might use it 0 times (making preparing it a waste), and some days I might hit the same foe with it 4 times.

Other good core options include resilient sphere, empowered ray of enfeeblement, empowered fireball, magic jar, circle of death and undeath to death. Some of my favorites from other schools include web, sleet storm, invisibility, greater invisibility, major image, solid fog, black tentacles, dimension door, teleport, greater dispel magic, and disintegrate (both for undead and walls/doors). I could see myself using any of those 4 times or 0 times in any given day. Anything I would use exactly 1 time, no more no less, with good consistency would only get prepared not put into a staff.

Vaz
2013-01-22, 05:16 AM
There is nothing to stop a staff being used more than once as a "multi-staff" as it were.

Depending on your UMD check, you should have a look at putting spells from other spells lists onto your staff.

As it's still a Masterwork Quarterstaff, you can turn it into a Magic Weapon as well to become a bit of a combat aid with some Enchantments.