PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a Homebrew Setting...Please

Umoon
2013-01-22, 09:12 AM
All you smart folks out there. . .I need help! Basically, as I've started to tire of the Tolkien races and setting prevalent in almost every game setting. Even if there are wrinkles to the races, or more races in general, I'm getting tired of Elves and Dwarves. I wanted to come up with something that would be different and alien, and so I came up with this, of which, I'm sure really isn't that original.

Anywho, I have very basic tabletop gaming knowledge, not even 1% enough to design a game, and not too much more that would be needed to adapt one. It doesn't matter to me what system is used as long as it makes sense. I have passing knowledge of several D&D systems (which will be obvious later), but if something else would be a better fit, it wouldn't really matter to me.

Just as importantly, I want the setting fleshed out! Nothing is sacred. I am very open to suggestions, additions, critiques, or anything else of the sort. I would love to get any input I can, and I would love for this to be more of a shared creation in general. If something doesn't make sense or if you think an idea or a name sucks (or the whole thing), please say so.

Lastly, any of you (if any of you do:smallwink:) that do help me or even just read this. . .It is greatly, greatly appreciated. Seriously, thank you so much for spending your valuable time here with me.

EDIT: Just to clarify, this is for anyone that thinks this would be fun. I don't expect someone to spend a whole lot of hours with me on this, although that'd be great if they did. I always thought it would be fun to worldbuild a setting with other people, and I figured this might be a good place to try.

Umoon
2013-01-22, 09:14 AM
RELIGION

As of right now, there are three religions, related through the theme of balance. (I'd be interested in adding more religions as, to some degree, the more diversity, the more it reflects real life, which at least for me, is a big plus.) If anyone sees any portfolios or spheres that could potentially be added or expanded upon, please do tell.

As a whole, religion is more in line with religion in our world now or Eberron than it is something like the Forgotten Realms or the Malazan world. It's debated whether the gods are individuals at all. Plenty think they do not exist. They do have a place with the magic system however.

Elemental

1) Elemental

Not so much a religion but more of a cult with all of the biological races. For the elemental races, it's a way of life more so than any worship. The elementals are not thought of as cognizant, but as primordial forces (loosely based on the classical elements of course). The elementals are listed below.

a: Gasala

This elemental is associated with the three moons of the world. The three moons greatly affect the tides, which are considerably more prevalent than on Earth. For that reason, she (generally listed as female) is also associated with oceans, water, and storms. Also associated with the act of giving birth, life, and caregiving.

b: Torgho

This elemental is associated with the suns and the stars. He is also associated with heat, fire, sex, rebirth, and the transfer of one's spirit after death.

c: Baraster

This element is associated with travel, dissemination, individualism, freedom, free thinking, innovation, invention, and spontaneity.

d: Yennithi

This element is associated with roots, tradition, family, loyalty, safety, security, and land.

Entropy

2) Entropy

I haven't put too much thought on this yet.

At one point in time (or so the book tells us), the Majoo (race, listed below) were most highly concerned with order. Being a primarily seafaring people, the tides were a huge concern and being extremely organized and efficient was a must. For that reason, order was considered to be of the utmost importance.

The Phiggan, by contrast lived in the harsh Winters of the East. This was the first race to discover fire, and they believed that only by individual innovation would they prosper.

According to legend, after initial conflict between the races due to the contrasting sides of their respective religions, it was realized that without Order, the Phiggan people would have never built houses and communities. Similarily, the Majoo, without the spark of eurekan chaos, would have never been able to build the complex floating cities in the first place. Thus the balance of the two was realized to be the most important, and the two civilizations worship the balance (with a slight lean to their initial inclination).

The Pantheon

3) The Pantheon

The Humans and the Illsader are followers of the Pantheon (or the Six or the Twelve). Six good gods, six bad ones, each good has a bad and vice versa. There is some overlap in themes and portfolios; theologians in this world love to debate about it and there is argument over which portfolios belong where and which evil god matches up to which good god. Again, none of these gods talk to people or are directly involved as far as anyone knows.

Gods:

a. Casdum

War/Conflict/Debate/Justice/Mercy
Casdum is the god of righteous war, justice, and consequences. He is also the god of mercy and his followers frown upon unnecessary cruelty. They recognize the progress made by conflict and see some of it as healthy and necessary.

b. Bulion
Artistic Expression/Beauty/Joy/Passion
Followers of Bulion recognize that music, art, games, stories, etc. bring joy and happiness to one's life. They believe that unadulterated joy is a necessity at times for a balanced life, and that the striving to reach perfection in such is a healthy endeavor that can lead to insight.

c. Lamasta
Knowledge/Truth/Innovation
Followers of Lamasta believe in progress and the searching out of knowledge. The pursuit of knowledge is important no matter what the reason for searching it out is. Sometimes serendipity strikes that can change the world .

d. Werfd
Redemption/Dedication/Honesty/Taking Responsibility
Followers of Werfd believe that working hard and being loyal are of the utmost importance, and that with honesty and acceptance, anyone can be redeemed.

e. Quan
Perseverance/Faith/Hope/Bravery
Quan is representative of hope and faith in spite of everything. One should never lose hope no matter how bad things look. Quan is about staying true to one's self.

f. Gari
Love/Compassion/Kindness
Followers of Gari believe in love of all things and to compassion to those that don't deserve it. Furthermore, Gari represents the love of friends and family and the kindness of a random stranger.

Selfish Ones (The Radicals) (Evil Ones):

a. Trasep
Murder/Violence/Power

b. Hekam
Vanity/Outward Beauty

c. Porrel
Abomination/Madnesss
Porrel represents scientific/magical progress without ethics, as well as the madness that often tiptoes the line with genius.

d. Rasst
Gluttony/Sloth/Trickery/Dishonesty

e. Junda
Apathy/Despair/Fear

F. Rasst
Lust/Cruelty

Umoon
2013-01-22, 09:15 AM
RACES

The races are divided into Biological and Magical (elemental). I haven't thought of all the little details for each race. Again, I am very open to suggestions for everything from an added or changed detail on a race, to an entire new race or even a new category of races. The cultures are divided up but the races all live with each other now (they are divided somewhat still demographically). Religions are similar. . .although one race might favor a religion, you will find followers of every religion among every race.

Bio:

Biological:

1. Majoo

The Majoo range in skin color from yellow to green to blue and everything in between. Their hair color ranges from white to silver to black and is generally thicker than human hair. They also have vestigial stumps on their head (used to be horns way back when). The Majoo tend to be very religious and disciplined. Most of them are worshippers of Entropy. They're seafaring society is very orderly, and many of them are administrators around the world. Their society started near the ocean, and they eventually were the main developers of the floating cities. These cities follow tidal shifts in the ocean and are used to mine minerals from the ocean. The Inward Order was developed by the Majoo.

2. Phiggan

The Phiggan are furred from head to toe. Although initially the other races deemed them elemental or animal in nature, the Phiggan evolved with fur due to living in the harsh tundra of the East. Their fur now ranges in many colors and patterns. The Phiggan developed magical, steam powered cities and now live in relative comfort. The Sorceri Society was founded in the Phiggan cities, although it started as a more tribal kind of initiation.

3. Illsadar

The Illsadar range in skin color from pink-Red-Purple-Charcoal. They have tendrils coming from the back of their head that range in size and quantity. Their skin is very smooth and very tough and dense. They are from the deserts and jungle of the North and Northwest respectively. This hot weather led them to live a semi nocturnal life style with many of their cities still running on that time.

4. Humans

The Humans are as we know ourselves in appearance. They were the major developers of commerce in the region and since they were from the central plains, were the first race that many of the others had contact with.

Elemental:

Elemental:

The Elemental races have been there as far as anyone can remember. It is debated how they initially came to be, although some theologians and philosophers theorize that they were an aspect of the primordial elements (magic) attempting to figure themselves out, or to become self aware. Others think that it was magic's way of imitating nature, or maybe that it's the other way around. Either way, the elementals are all immortal until killed (cannot age). New ones don't come into being too often, and they are, in general, very secretive of their history. They are much more homogenous than the biological races, and although many adventure in their youths, most return to their respective races in their old age. It is not unheard of to see one living among the biological races.

1. Folk of the Moons

The Moonfolk match in skin color to one of the three moons (ivory, dusty red, or emerald). Their skin, however, is moist and vivacious to the touch. Their eyes are all black, and their hair is all white. The hair appears to be extremely straight and smooth human hair, though it grows much, much slower and is silkier and tougher than human hair. They live in the sea and on the shore and never in any one place although they do live together. They are sought out for their healing of mental illness and despair or of the spirit and mind as they themselves say. It is considered a great boon to be born in the presense of Moonfolk.

2. Folk of the Stars

The Sunfolk live in the plains and in the desert. They travel around based on constellations as well as the seasons. Their skin is truly black, their eyes pure white, and they have no hair. Their bodies radiate warmth and their skin is warm and soft. They are sought out for their advice regarding passion (sexual and otherwise).

3. Winged Folk

The Winged Folk live wherever pleases them at the time. They live in small nomadic families and generally bounce from city to city. Inventive and individualist, the Winged Folk are the best tinkerers around, and are welcome most places for their good cheer. Their most defining feature are their wings, which are each about six feet in length when spread. They range in color from white to shades of brown to black. Despite appearing very human, winged folk have scaly skin which ranges in color from peach to orange. Their eyes are large and their eyesight very good. They have solid, yet light bones, which enables them to fly swiftly.

4. Tailed Folk

The Tailed Folk have large ears, and of course, tails. They are generally, very hairy, although they do not come close to the Phiggen. Their skin generally is human like but with slightly less pigmentation. Their hair ranges from brown, blonde, red, gray, black, white. It is usually of a solid color, although spots do occur. The Tailed Folk are very family oriented. They live in various tight knit communities all over the world, and although some do leave, the vast majority of these come back. They are the most nature oriented of any of the races, bio or elemental. Some believe they can talk to plants and animals.

Umoon
2013-01-22, 09:17 AM
MAGIC

Magic is something you are born with in this world. How you manifest it, is entirely left to the culture, religion, family, or individual.

Divine:

1. Priest (medium armor)

Clerics are associated with the Pantheon. Priests try to embody the mantra of their god, good or evil. Through this embodiment they are able to channel certain spells and power depending on the god. There is overlap, and there is a very large overlap with the good god and the corresponding evil one.

Paladins (heavy armor) are a subsect of Priests. They are only followers of Casdum and Quan, and are more concerned with affecting their weapons and armor as magic than their Priestly counterparts. (Their is still an overlap betweeen cleric and paladin powers.)

2. Monk (no armor)

Monks are known as followers of the Inward Order. All of their magical ability is held back and internalized. This takes a great deal of discipline but allows their bodies to become very tough and resilient.

Primal:

3. Elemental Shaman (light armor)

Elemental Shamans are those that powers manifest themselves as one of the elements (this is why the primordial forces and elemental races are associated with elements). The Elemental Cults have started to develop ways to produce this manifestation in Magical children, but generally, they are produced by a traumatic event in the child's life. These shamans are often times considered loose cannons, though this isn't always the case.

4. Sorcerers (light armor)

Sorcerer's magic comes purely from instinct. Originally, Sorcerers were created by the Phiggen by leaving magical children in the wild to survive. If they did, they came back with a primal knowledge of magic, thus making them sorcerers. Although there are safer ways to make a sorcerer now a days, it is still dangerous, and therefore, relatively rare.

Wizards!

5. Wizards (medium armor)

Wizards learn magic slowly and carefully by learning how the world works around them. A Wizard goes to school and is an expert compared to most when it comes to subjects such as physics, philosophy, psychology, and math. Thus most wizards can subtely influence the flow of time around them, or what another being senses for a split second. They can also alter the energy around themselves or others in order to protect. Although they can use energy to injure others, they are not nearly adept as a shaman or sorcerer.

Musik

6. Songshapers (medium armor)

Similar to Sorcerers and Shamans, Songshapers are able to influence magic inuitively. Through their understanding of music and the moods it can set with melody, modes, rhythm, etc. They can shape the world around them. Songshapers have much less direct control than other magic users. If an opposing soldier slips and falls, or his buckle on his scabard breaks, causing his weapon to fall off, or if a tree falls on a catapult, there is a good chance it is the work of a Songshaper. A good Songshaper is often times never noticed or is noticed as something else (a fire burning a house blamed on a fire shaman). Songshapers use music, and its reflection of life, to influence magic, and its affect on life.