PDA

View Full Version : A little help with the sneak attack thug fighter.

Joe Eskimo
2013-01-22, 11:56 AM
In the Thug fighter variant under class features, the bonus feats entry states that a thug doesn't gain the normal fighter bonus feat at 1st level. And on the other class variants, for the fighter i get to trade in my bonus feats class feature for the rogue's sneak attack class feature. AFAIK I lose my bonus feats progression at 1st, 2nd, 4th, etc. For the rogue's sneak attack progression at 1st, 3rd, 5th.

Now my question is this, the thug says I don't get the fighter's bonus feat at 1st level, as I recall I don't have a bonus feat at all at 1st level since I switched class features. So do I lose my 1d6 sneak attack instead at 1st level as this is what replaced the bonus feat? Or should I just ignore this particular thug class feature since it's no longer relevant?

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-22, 12:03 PM
You can't trade a class feature for an ACF twice. Pick one or the other.

Juntao112
2013-01-22, 12:05 PM
Fighter
Some fighters prefer stealth and cunning over martial skill. This variant can also be combined with the thug variant.

Gain
Sneak attack (as rogue).

Lose
Bonus feats.

Combining Sneak Attack fighter with the Thug variant does not seem to be RAW, but may be RAI.

Unusual Muse
2013-01-22, 12:33 PM
Combining Sneak Attack fighter with the Thug variant does not seem to be RAW, but may be RAI.

The quote you posted from the SRD makes it look pretty RAW.

Akto
2013-01-22, 12:52 PM
The quote you posted from the SRD makes it look pretty RAW.

Aye it's one of the few exceptions from the generel rule that you can't trade something away more then once

Joe Eskimo
2013-01-22, 01:34 PM
So what does that mean? Does it make that particular thug class feature irrelevant since I don't have any bonus feats to give up?

ArcturusV
2013-01-22, 02:04 PM
From what I can see you get both. Because of the "Can also be combined..." clause.

Lortharian Duin
2013-01-22, 02:12 PM
You can't trade a class feature for an ACF twice. Pick one or the other.

Thug and SA Fighter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighter) can be combined. Those two ACFs stack.

You gain SA as rogue, ergo 1st, 3rd, 5th, ... etc. You just don't progress Fighter bonus feats.

EDIT: Answer to OP's question: You just ignore this particular Thug class feature regarding fighter bonus feats since they are no longer relevant, you advance SA as rogue.

Unusual Muse
2013-01-22, 02:14 PM
So what does that mean? Does it make that particular thug class feature irrelevant since I don't have any bonus feats to give up?

It means that you don't get any Fighter bonus feats, ever, and you get the Sneak Attack progression of a Rogue, at 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc.

Joe Eskimo
2013-01-22, 02:58 PM
Thug and SA Fighter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighter) can be combined. Those two ACFs stack.

You gain SA as rogue, ergo 1st, 3rd, 5th, ... etc. You just don't progress Fighter bonus feats.

EDIT: Answer to OP's question: You just ignore this particular Thug class feature regarding fighter bonus feats since they are no longer relevant, you advance SA as rogue.

That's a relief. Thanks to everyone who stopped by my thread to answer my question. I got what I needed.

Shadowdagger213
2019-02-27, 02:31 AM
I just read this thread, and as I was looking to do the exact same thing (Combine SA Fighter with Thug) this is my interpretation:

The Thug doesn't get the first level bonus feat at all. Just at the even levels.
The SA Fighter doesn't get feats at all. Just the SA dice at odd levels.

Combine the two: 1st Level: no bonus feat, +1d6
2nd Level: Bonus Feat
3rd Level: +2d6
4th Level: Bonus Feat

Plus you retain the 4 skill points/level and the additional skills from the thug variant.

You wouldn't be trading the 1st level bonus feat twice, you still don't receive it from the Thug portion, the SA fighter never gets it in the first place...

Feint's End
2019-02-27, 03:43 AM
Combine the two: 1st Level: no bonus feat, +1d6
2nd Level: Bonus Feat
4th Level: Bonus Feat

Wait what? Wouldn't it be:

1st Level: no bonus feat, +1d6
2nd Level: nothing
4th Level: nothing

You no longer gain the Bonus Feats due to Sneak Attack variant.

DeTess
2019-02-27, 04:21 AM
this is a thread from 2013. Please refrain from raising dead sneak attack thug fighters:P

Feint's End
2019-02-28, 12:15 AM
this is a thread from 2013. Please refrain from raising dead sneak attack thug fighters:P

Holy cow I didn't realize Oo. I just replied to Shadowdagger's Post.