PDA

View Full Version : 3.5/PF Translating a Pathfinder Gunslinger

AWiz_Abroad
2013-01-22, 01:57 PM
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to DM a Planescape adventure set around the time of the Faction War in Sigil. I intend to run a sandbox game, I'd like to have the PCs assist the Lady of Pain, but we'll see which way they jump. My players are new to D&D, and I am a new DM(but played in 5 different campaigns), so we'll see how it goes. We'll start at level 1.

My system mastery is 3.5, however one of my Players really wants to play a gunmage type of character. I'm willing to acquiesce, but would like some assistence with rebuilding the pathfinder gunslinger for 3.5 rules. he'll have to multi-class to get the mage flavor, but such is life. Has anyone done anything along these lines?

Also, is there any major problems about the gunslinger that I should know about as the DM?

TL;DR Please help me modify PF gunslinger into 3.5 rules.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-01-22, 02:38 PM
Has anyone done anything along these lines?

The gunslinger’s class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (engineering) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str) and Tumble (Dex).
...And that should do it.

Oh, and make sure deadly aim is available. It makes a big part of the gunslinger's damage.

AWiz_Abroad
2013-01-22, 03:19 PM
Thanks.

Are there any concerns about a gunslinger I should know about as far as breaking my campaign world?

I've got a Wizard, so I'm not that afraid of doing so, I just like to know in advance. (We're starting at level 1)

Also, any other PF feats I need to know about?

Edge of Dreams
2013-01-22, 03:28 PM
As far as I know, Gunslingers do not have any major game-breaking abilities. They don't have spells, and they can't easily be over-optimized to do ridiculous damage the way you can with an ubercharger or whatever. There's also not very many gunslinger prestige classes.

Make sure they have access to any Grit or gun related feats from Pathfinder, and use the Pathfinder list of guns for ammo, damage, and reload times and such.

Also look up Pathfinder's definition of "broken" and the gun rules about misfires, as there are important rules for a gunslinger about the chance of having your gun explode on you.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-01-22, 04:57 PM
Are there any concerns about a gunslinger I should know about as far as breaking my campaign world? Not really. The class and its fighting style don't have a lot of moving parts.

Gunslinger builds' damage is a pretty steady [Weapon]+[Dex or Cha]+[Deadly Aim]+[Enhancements] per attack, which don't have as many easy multipliers as other fighting styles, and which doesn't shift much up or down with build choices. And though it can inflict some status effects, they tend to be relatively minor.

The non-damaging things a gunslinger can do are basically restricted to skills and immediate minor movement (nice, but situational enough and limited enough not to affect encounter difficulties much past the lowest levels).

Some of the ARG archetypes get a little more damage, or a few more status effects, but they're all very limited in scope, and not worth worrying about more than the ranger or assassin's tricks.

Tanuki Tales
2013-01-22, 05:05 PM
...And that should do it.

You forgot Search.

Dissonance
2013-01-22, 06:37 PM
alternatively, if you want a true gunmage flavor there is the spellslinger archetype in the Ultimate Combat book for pathfinder. Basically it's a Wizard that knows how to use guns, and can boost spells by casting through the gun. They balance out by having a rougher time with the spells as they have an extra two(!) banned schools.

As is, gunslinger isnt much of a problem for many campaigns. All they really contribute is above average reliable damage. beyond that they can get really flashy with the grit options but it is pretty harmless. It will cause you as much trouble as a fighter or barbarian will really.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-01-22, 07:26 PM
Just to riff a bit more on the initial idea, it might also be worth considering the Iron Kingdoms Gun Mage, which is a lot like a beefed up ranged Duskblade.

The full class was released in a .pdf preview for the iron kingdoms book here (http://files.meetup.com/47309/IK%20Gun%20Mage%20%28as%20per%20character%20book%2 9.pdf).

Iron Kingdoms has slightly different firearms rules than PF, but the class should be completely compatible with PF guns. If IK were on the table, I'd think a Mysterious Stranger 1/Gun Mage 6/Abjurant Champion 5/Cyran Avenger 5/Gun Mage X would be an entertaining build.

Wonton
2013-01-22, 11:41 PM
Well I can offer you my opinion from having played a Gunslinger 1-4, which is that they are very balanced in that level range and that you should have little to no problems. They're a little strong against heavily armored enemies (since the rest of the party will be targeting AC 18, while they'll be targeting AC 10) but weak against quick enemies (where they're just bow users with no Str to damage, crap range, longer reloads, and a risk of misfire). All in all, the class works really well "out of the box".

If he wants to play a gunmage, also consider looking at the Spellslinger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/spellslinger) archetype for the Wizard. I can't comment on balance (I played it for two sessions) but it seems like the best fit for your player.