PDA

View Full Version : Ring of mighty summons

Gotterdammerung
2013-01-22, 04:59 PM
Is their anyway to "summon" yourself, thereby gaining instant max hp?

Ring of mighty summons is located in the complete mage pg 127 if you arent sure what i am talking about.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-22, 05:47 PM
Is their anyway to "summon" yourself, thereby gaining instant max hp?

Ring of mighty summons is located in the complete mage pg 127 if you arent sure what i am talking about.

I don't think so. In anycase, doesn't that ring only work on summon monster and summon nature's ally spells? In which case, unless there's a way to add yourself to the list, there definately isn't a way to do this.

Aharon
2013-01-22, 05:53 PM
Assuming you belong to one of the races that can be summoned, and you use the variant that summoning spells summon specific monsters (DMG, p. 37) and convince your DM that that specific monster should be your character (an appropriate effect for wish or limited wish, IMO), then yes, it might be possible.

nedz
2013-01-22, 07:22 PM
It's unclear from the SRD how summoning works, but Calling would be more appropriate. Calling yourself would just be a strange variant of teleport, though one you could potentially roll-back.

Bonus points if you call, and bind yourself in a circle :smallbiggrin:

JBento
2013-01-22, 07:24 PM
Doesn't work. Even if you could manage to put yourself in the list of summons, it'd still not make YOU appear. When you cast a summon X Y spell, it doesn't actually whisk a random creature from where it is. It creates a simulacrum of that creature to obey you.

This is why it always comes with full hp and no expended uses on any use-limited ability, and also why you don't have to bargain with it for it to work for you. It's also why there's not a corpse when it "dies."

Yes, the Summon lines, ironically, should be Evocation, as they don't actually bring anything from anywhere. :smallsigh:

Acanous
2013-01-22, 07:29 PM
Yes, the Summon lines, ironically, should be Evocation, as they don't actually bring anything from anywhere. :smallsigh:

unless you're using that variant from the DMG above, that is.

nedz
2013-01-22, 07:45 PM
Doesn't work. Even if you could manage to put yourself in the list of summons, it'd still not make YOU appear. When you cast a summon X Y spell, it doesn't actually whisk a random creature from where it is. It creates a simulacrum of that creature to obey you.

This is why it always comes with full hp and no expended uses on any use-limited ability, and also why you don't have to bargain with it for it to work for you. It's also why there's not a corpse when it "dies."

Do you have a rules reference for this please ?
I couldn't find anything in the SRD.

TuggyNE
2013-01-22, 07:49 PM

Arguably, they bring extraplanar material/concepts/etc over, which fits Conjuration well enough.

Slipperychicken
2013-01-22, 09:32 PM
Arguably, they bring extraplanar material/concepts/etc over, which fits Conjuration well enough.

Adding that Conjuration governs creation too, which includes creating living things at much higher levels.

Shred-Bot
2013-01-22, 11:16 PM
It's unclear from the SRD how summoning works, but Calling would be more appropriate. Calling yourself would just be a strange variant of teleport, though one you could potentially roll-back.

Bonus points if you call, and bind yourself in a circle :smallbiggrin:

Though it is frowned upon to spend days bargaining with yourself over the price of your own services, no matter how equally matched you are with yourself.

(maybe this belongs in the "Things I May No Longer Do While Playing" thread)

TuggyNE
2013-01-23, 12:05 AM
Though it is frowned upon to spend days bargaining with yourself over the price of your own services, no matter how equally matched you are with yourself.

It really does!

nedz
2013-01-23, 06:47 AM

It really does!

Agreed, and done.

JBento
2013-01-23, 09:52 AM
Do you have a rules reference for this please ?
I couldn't find anything in the SRD.

I might have, but I'm AFB during the week, unfortunately. :smallsigh:

Your best bet that I remember to find it on the weekend is to send me a PM on Saturday, and I'll dig through the books.

Also, isn't that specific creature summoning variant 3.0 only? I think I was looking for it once on the 3.5 books and I couldn't find it (like the double-class at 1st level thingy).