PDA

View Full Version : Warlock VS Rod of Python....

Tomokun
2013-01-22, 05:48 PM
Ok, so here's an interesting question.

The Rod of Python turns into a huge snake (hehe) when thrown on the ground.

This creature grapples. It's what it does, right?

So, let's say that it grapples a warlock. Warlock is probably screwed except... they get "deceive item".

Would this allow them to take posession of the Rod of Python, either turning it on its original wielder, or simply turning it back into a staff (because it is a staff, not a rod. :p)

limejuicepowder
2013-01-22, 05:55 PM
Ok, so here's an interesting question.

The Rod of Python turns into a huge snake (hehe) when thrown on the ground.

This creature grapples. It's what it does, right?

So, let's say that it grapples a warlock. Warlock is probably screwed except... they get "deceive item".

Would this allow them to take posession of the Rod of Python, either turning it on its original wielder, or simply turning it back into a staff (because it is a staff, not a rod. :p)

It wouldn't allow them to do anything (special). "Deceive Item" has nothing to do with deception besides it's name - it allows the warlock to take 10 on UMD checks. If a character actually could make a UMD check to control the activated rod, it would have nothing to do with the character being able to take 10 on the roll.

Snowbluff
2013-01-22, 06:00 PM
I think warlocks should have an option to escape a grapple. Not being able to do anything once someone put their hands on them is kind of dumb. Especially since they cannot defend themselves as well as real casters can.

limejuicepowder
2013-01-22, 06:18 PM
I think warlocks should have an option to escape a grapple. Not being able to do anything once someone put their hands on them is kind of dumb. Especially since they cannot defend themselves as well as real casters can.

They actually have a great way to escape grapples: flee the scene. Short range dimension door that leaves behind a major image of the warlock. Since SLA don't have somatic components, they can escape grapples all day long.

Snowbluff
2013-01-22, 06:23 PM
They actually have a great way to escape grapples: flee the scene. Short range dimension door that leaves behind a major image of the warlock. Since SLA don't have somatic components, they can escape grapples all day long.

:smallsigh:

All Invocations have somatic components. Flee the Scene would be as useful as a wet noodle in this situation.

Randomguy
2013-01-22, 06:27 PM
Warlocks also have flight, invisibility, medium BAB and wealth by level, which lets them get a ring of freedom of movement or an item of teleportation. They also have feats that can be used to get teleportation. They are just as capable of preventing and escaping grapples as any other T4 and under class, if not better. In fact, they're probably slightly better off than some tier 3's in this respect.

limejuicepowder
2013-01-22, 06:28 PM
:smallsigh:

All Invocations have somatic components. Flee the Scene would be as useful as a wet noodle in this situation.

Umm where does it say that? I just reread the section and it says nothing about somatic components. They are subject to armor spell failure, but that's not the same thing.

Ranting Fool
2013-01-22, 06:34 PM
Umm where does it say that? I just reread the section and it says nothing about somatic components. They are subject to armor spell failure, but that's not the same thing.

This was pointed out to me the other day

Because the somatic components required for warlock
invocations are relatively simple, a warlock can use any of
his invocations while wearing light armor without incurring
the normal arcane spell failure chance. However, like arcane
spellcasters, a warlock wearing medium or heavy armor or
using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure (all
invocations, including eldritch blast, have a somatic component).

Snowbluff
2013-01-22, 06:36 PM

It says they have somatic gestures on page 71. This, combined with the fact they have ACF and are interruptible means you have to be able to move to use invocations.

Warlocks also have flight, invisibility, medium BAB and wealth by level, which lets them get a ring of freedom of movement or an item of teleportation. They also have feats that can be used to get teleportation. They are just as capable of preventing and escaping grapples as any other T4 and under class, if not better. In fact, they're probably slightly better off than some tier 3's in this respect.

Well, you can't use spell completion items, your Str is awful, and it's Invisibility, not Superior Invisibility. We all know how easy that is to subvert.

limejuicepowder
2013-01-22, 06:38 PM
It says they have somatic gestures on page 71. This, combined with the fact they have ACF and are interruptible means you have to be able to move to use invocations.

Ah-hah. Thank you for the correction.

Snowbluff
2013-01-22, 06:38 PM
Ah-hah. Thank you for the correction.

I also curate the Newest Warlock Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265455). Just doing my job, fair citizen.