PDA

View Full Version : Making a monster Rawr!

Yogibear41
2013-01-22, 06:50 PM
So I've been working on this monster for a caimpaign setting I have in mind but not sure what CR I should set it at so I decided to post it here!

Its basically a Were Raven but do to the backstory im working on they have some magical abilities. Used the Dire Hawk from MM2 as the basis for ability modifires since there are no dire Ravens or at least I couldnt find one, with a 1st level human monk as the base creature with standard ability scores 3 11s 3 10s

Hybrid Form:
Medium Sized Creature
6d8+12
Initiative +6
Speed: 30 feet, 40 Feet Fly (good)
Armor Class : 23 (+6 Dex +5 Natural +2 Wisdom bonus)
Touch:18
Flat Footed: 17
Base Attack +3/ Grapple +4
Attack: 2 Claws +9 1d4+1 and 1d3 wis or int damage and +4 bite/peck 1d4+1
Space/Reach 5/5
Damage Reduction 10/Cold Iron
Resistance to cold 10
Feats: Iron Will Lighting Reflexs Weapon Finesse Flyby Attack
Fort +8 Ref +14 Will +9
Skill Ranks : +9 Know Arcana +9 Know Religion +4 Listen +4 Sense Motive +9 Spot
Generally: Lawful Neutral
Special abilities:

Quickened Detect Magic at Will lasts for 1 round
Can choose whether to deal wis or int damage with its claw attacks, will generally make a know arcana or know religion role against its target and if it can tell whether or not it is an arcane vs divine caster it will choose int for arcane and wis for divine, if it fails its check it will generally choose to deal wisdom damage in addition whenever it deals wis or int damage it also heals 1 point for every 2 points it deals rounded down but with a minimum of 1 point of healing if it only deals 1 point of damage.

The backstory is basically they are a religious cult of monks and like minded people tasked by their raven god to prevent mortals from using magic or having magic items (especially arcane magic slightly more understanding of divine based magic but only by a little bit), because a very long time ago in the worlds history a group of power hungery people tried to abuse some certain magics (probably arcane)and it ended up vastly screwing up the world basically sending the world into an ice age. (very few people know this) Do to their extremely lawful nature I even considered having them judge PCs in a trial before becoming enemies or not.
but the idea is still fresh in my mind and may change slightly

Yogibear41
2013-01-22, 06:52 PM
and I forgot to right in the ability scores lol
Hybrid form:
12 str
23 dex
14 con
11 int
14 wis
10 cha

level 4 stat bump is +1 to wisdom

Tr011
2013-01-22, 07:02 PM
In MM1 are stats for ravens... It's in the animal section, chapter 2.

Yogibear41
2013-01-22, 07:24 PM
yes for Normal Ravens but not for Dire Ravens, the dire hawk is a medium sized creature.

Invader
2013-01-22, 09:27 PM
You could add the horrid template from the Eberron campaign setting. +5 AC, gets an acid attack 1d6/4 HD, improved natural healing, +4 con, and improved natural attack for all natural attacks it has.