PDA

View Full Version : An entire setting populated by Dragonblood variants?

The LOBster
2013-01-22, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure if this goes into homebrew or not, but what does the Playground think about a setting where all player races are the Dragonblood variants from Dragon Magic? That means all elves are Forestlords, all dwarves are Firebloods, all humans in one region are Silverbrows, and so forth. I'm already leaning towards making the dwarves and elves all Firebloods and Forestlords in my setting. Still I'm not sure about the Silverbrows, and since gnomes are extinct in my setting and halflings just never existed (sorry Belkar!)... No Stonehunters and Glimmerskins. It could possibly be explained away as these races having an inherent connection to Io (the creator god) before he was killed by Zarus and reborn as Bahamut and Tiamat.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-22, 07:19 PM
It could work, assuming you have some fecund dragons in the setting's history, a large (and multiracial) dragon fetishist cult as ancestors to everyone, or both.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-01-22, 07:38 PM
You also need to think of the cultural and psycological effects it would have, due to the natural abilities of those races.

For example, because Silverbrow Humans have a slow fall SLA, hights wouldn't be as much of an issue. This would mean the Human built cities might be built in high up places and tall buildings would be the norm. Because they naturally take to disguises, Silverbrow Humans would place little value in surface appearences. This could manifest itself as Humans placing little care on the outward appearence of things, meaning they have more time to make it sturdier, stronger or more durable. That's not to say they're crude, they understand and can create beauty. They just don't see the need for it. Human armour may look like it's been through several battles when freshly made, but by the hells you'd only be safer if you were behind several inches of stone.

The LOBster
2013-01-22, 08:14 PM
It could work, assuming you have some fecund dragons in the setting's history, a large (and multiracial) dragon fetishist cult as ancestors to everyone, or both.

I already kind of accounted for that :P

It could possibly be explained away as these races having an inherent connection to Io (the creator god) before he was killed by Zarus and reborn as Bahamut and Tiamat.

As for the other creator gods, Corellon and Moradin decided to take the Forestlords and Firebloods in (rechristening them Elves and Dwarves), while Zarus corrupted many of the humans, using his powers to purge them of the Dragonblood to make a "more pure" race. Of course, Bahamut and Tiamat decided to work together before he could finish doing that, and cast him out of the Seven Heavens into the Realm of the Fallen.... And then Tiamat tried to eat Bahamut, and he cast her out, as well.

Of course, now the "Pureblood" humans have formed a Holy Empire bent on taking over.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-22, 08:22 PM
I already kind of accounted for that :P

As for the other creator gods, Corellon and Moradin decided to take the Forestlords and Firebloods in (rechristening them Elves and Dwarves), while Zarus corrupted many of the humans, using his powers to purge them of the Dragonblood to make a "more pure" race. Of course, Bahamut and Tiamat decided to work together before he could finish doing that, and cast him out of the Seven Heavens into the Realm of the Fallen.... And then Tiamat tried to eat Bahamut, and he cast her out, as well.

Of course, now the "Pureblood" humans have formed a Holy Empire bent on taking over.

Lots of casting going on. I would second that this is just fine as a premise as long as it is backed up by some kind of OOG explanation for your players. The characters don't necessarily need to be aware of what's going on at the start of the campaign, but some of this world-creation stuff should be used to help explain core race modifications to the players. [REDACTED] anything that needs to be kept secret for plot reasons, of course. Also consider whether a campaign in this setting would allow more exotic races, or if everyone needs to be dragonblooded to make the setting work.

As a side note, a BIG impact of most of everyone being dragonblooded is that dragon bane weapons will work on MOST OF EVERYONE. Consider modifying the enchant (true dragons only, perhaps), or increasing the price of this weapon enchant, as it is a big boon at earlier levels and much more valuable than the price suggest.