PDA

View Full Version : Empower Spell with Non-Blasting

GreenETC
2013-01-22, 11:26 PM
Are there any good spells besides blasting spells to apply this to?
I only see Enervation or Ray of Enfeeblement/Clumsiness as good options for it, and maybe adding more critters with a Summon Monster spell, but that looks to be about it.

Story
2013-01-22, 11:36 PM
It could be useful with False Life, at least if you're getting the Empower for free.

I'm actually in a similar situation as I recently got a Lesser Rod of Empower but I have basically nothing worthwhile to apply it to.

Tulya
2013-01-22, 11:46 PM
Obviously, ability damage, penalty, and negative level spells as mentioned.

You could empower spells like Cloud of Bewilderment with variable numeric condition durations? I'm not sure how useful tacking on 1-2 rounds of Nausea after leaving the cloud would be, but it's nevertheless a viable use.

I think Summon Monster for lower level monsters is also eligible for Empower, although even if you're getting it for free... I'm not sure even 3 to 7 monsters from a list two spell levels lower is a match for a single monster from the normal list. A single level below won't even pop an extra monster 33% of the time.

GreenETC
2013-01-22, 11:52 PM
I think the main question would be, are the few, but powerful options for Empower worth taking it at all, like Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement for a penalty between 9-16 to Str or an Empowered Enervation for the possible 6 level hit?

And actually, the variable part of BFC spells is a pretty decent thing to improve. I could see stuff like Icelance's Stun or Bewilderment's Nausea being good. Are there many other good BFC spells or buffs that apply variable length statuses or variable boosts? Maybe even an Empowered Cloudkill?

TuggyNE
2013-01-22, 11:55 PM
Didn't we just have this discussion?

StreamOfTheSky
2013-01-23, 12:33 AM
Well, my thread was for core only spells.

Non-core opens up other things, though many of them are probably just as easily served (and for half the spell adjustment cost and +50% more duration) by Extend Spell. My immediate thoughts were Nauseating Breath and Stun Ray from SpC, but iirc both of those could just be extended.