PDA

View Full Version : Warlock + Bind Vestige vs. Warlock/ Binder

Cranthis
2013-01-23, 05:08 PM
Hello all! I was thinking about the awesomeness of the Hellfire Warlock, and thought about something. Would it be better to take a level in Binder, or take the Bind Vestige feat for Naberius.

Morph Bark
2013-01-23, 05:11 PM
The Bind Vestige feat only grants one of Naberius' abilities. IIRC, it isn't the one you want for Hellfire Warlock.

ScionoftheVoid
2013-01-23, 05:15 PM
Hello all! I was thinking about the awesomeness of the Hellfire Warlock, and thought about something. Would it be better to take a level in Binder, or take the Bind Vestige feat for Naberius.

The feat gives Naberius' Skills, which isn't helpful, so you'll need the Binder level, I believe.

The Viscount
2013-01-28, 01:19 AM
You will indeed need the binder level to gain Naberius' ability damage healing. If you have a feat open and don't want to lose that level of invoking (? I forget the term we use for warlock's not-casting) then from what I've read, shape soulmeld for strongheart vest should do it.

Onerai
2013-01-28, 04:04 AM
This is an oft-misunderstood idea about the "bind vestige" feat. The feat only gives you one (usually intentionally the least useful) specified power from your vestige; which power is determined on a table found a couple of pages after the actual feat description.

As stated above, you'll need a full binder level to gain the fast ability healing power from Naberius. Honestly though, it's not that bad a trade - abilities granted by binding in general are very in keeping with the theme of a Warlock-type character.

Psyren
2013-01-28, 10:54 AM
Strongheart Vest is a point of contention, particularly since the FAQ shot it down. The Binder level is airtight and fits thematically.

Cranthis
2013-01-28, 10:57 AM
Strongheart Vest is a point of contention, particularly since the FAQ shot it down. The Binder level is airtight and fits thematically.

Which is why I didnt use the Strongheart Vest.

Psyren
2013-01-28, 11:10 AM
Which is why I didnt use the Strongheart Vest.

My post was directed more at Viscount than you

Cranthis
2013-01-28, 11:13 AM
My post was directed more at Viscount than you

I know. I was just tossing in.

Snowbluff
2013-01-28, 11:57 AM

Or you could blow another feat or two to enter Anima Mage without Binder.

Morph Bark
2013-01-28, 12:05 PM
Or you could blow another feat or two to enter Anima Mage without Binder.

iirc, Anima Mage requires casting of specific spell levels, disqualifying Warlocks.

Answerer
2013-01-28, 12:14 PM
iirc, Anima Mage requires casting of specific spell levels, disqualifying Warlocks.
Warlocks can take Precocious Apprentice (...arguably, but we're abusing things anyway so for the sake of this post we're assuming that Warlocks can take it and it works), which satisfies that requirement if they're willing to literally set four feats on fire for no benefit other than entry to the prestige class.

Snowbluff
2013-01-28, 12:19 PM
Warlocks can take Precocious Apprentice (...arguably, but we're abusing things anyway so for the sake of this post we're assuming that Warlocks can take it and it works), which satisfies that requirement if they're willing to literally set four feats on fire for no benefit other than entry to the prestige class.

I like warlock because you have to make these decisions. Taking a level of Binder knocks out 1 of your invocations (Of your highest level) in your progression. With only a handful of invocations, it is a hard choice to make.

The Viscount
2013-01-29, 01:39 AM

Ah. Should have remembered that bit. Thanks for the correction.

Cranthis
2013-01-29, 02:09 AM
I like warlock because you have to make these decisions. Taking a level of Binder knocks out 1 of your invocations (Of your highest level) in your progression. With only a handful of invocations, it is a hard choice to make.

I think it is worth it, since you are getting an extra 6d6 damage over the course of 3 levels.

Andezzar
2013-01-29, 02:53 AM
I think it is worth it, since you are getting an extra 6d6 damage over the course of 3 levels.And then you start taking levels in legacy champion.