The Giant
2006-11-05, 10:36 PM
Bonus Sunday OOTS is up.

Mr_Saturn
2006-11-05, 10:39 PM
nice! love it

IvanGS
2006-11-05, 10:41 PM
Err, well, if the whole 'taking over the world' thing doesn't work out, perhaps our 'favorite' lich could move into stand-up.

ishi
2006-11-05, 10:41 PM
Stealth comic attack!

Ah, Xykon's casual banter in combat, gotta love it.

"not again", eh? So she knew Redcloak from somewhere?

Nazzo, the 102nd
2006-11-05, 10:42 PM
:xykon: Gotta save the A-material for the PCs.

Yes. Xykon is officially my favorite villain. :smallbiggrin:

plainsfox
2006-11-05, 10:42 PM
Or she's been force caged before.

TigerHunter
2006-11-05, 10:44 PM
Xykon needs some new material...

phillyphil
2006-11-05, 10:46 PM
MIKO for the WIn!

I hate forcecage.

thewamp
Yeah, the "again" bit struck me too... think it meant the cage though, not redcloak. Otherwise Redcloak wouldn't have addressed her as "a palidan of the sapphire" thingy.

F.H. Zebedee
GO MIKO! YOUR STRUGGLE IS POINTLESS, BUT WE WANT TO SEE YOU WIN!

Why do I feel I'm the only one rooting for Ms. Miyazaki? I know she's screwed, but I like rooting for the underdog.

Morchaint
2006-11-05, 10:47 PM
nice comic.

Rapida
2006-11-05, 10:47 PM
Heh, that was funny. Although Xykon's joke was rather sad.

Cult_of_the_Raven
2006-11-05, 10:49 PM
i see that miko seems to have beat redcloak. a shame.

Deuce
2006-11-05, 10:50 PM
Saphire Gaurd - predictable? Say it isn't so! :smallbiggrin:

Toxic Avenger
2006-11-05, 10:53 PM

Why do I feel I'm the only one rooting for Ms. Miyazaki? I know she's screwed, but I like rooting for the underdog.You are not alone. The entire Miko Fan Club is rooting for Ms. Miyazaki as well.

At any rate, I'm glad to see that she was in the process of owning Redcloak.

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-11-05, 10:53 PM
Is anyone else amazed at how Rich is able to address the major concerns/comments from the forums? For a gent who doesn't change scripts based on our crazed ramblings it's the sign of an incredible plotter who really thinks out some minutia his story lines.

Just wanted to say, really enjoying this ride...

Haarculaneaum
2006-11-05, 10:54 PM
Wow, right on time. I come home from a crappy day of crazy preacher-wives and drunk fathers (not mine, he dead.) to a new OOTS. Thanks, Rich.

Now, "not again" -- not another Forcecage or not another getting beaten by :xykon:?

Woo hoo -- "raise dead." I thought it was funny.

And "a-material for the PCs," because when are meta-jokes and breaking the 4th wall NOT funny?

Too bad :miko: isn't :wight miko: yet. :(

Haar

fwiffo
2006-11-05, 10:54 PM
Did Xykon and Nale attend the same villain school? That speech was positively Naleish.

Felinoid
2006-11-05, 10:55 PM
That was a gem of a joke, and the dead guard has no sense of humor whatsoever. Though that's not too unusual for the deceased.

Me: Remember that time I accidentally beaned my dad in the nuts with a fastball?
Zombie: Uuuuuuuhhhhhhh...braaaaiiiins...

idksocrates
2006-11-05, 10:57 PM
nale doesn't do bad jokes

SPoD
2006-11-05, 10:57 PM
"not again", eh? So she knew Redcloak from somewhere?

I took it as a reference to her fight with Belkar. Once again, she has the evildoer defeated, on the ground, waiting for the coup de grace--and a third party interferes, stopping her.

In fact, if you count her battle with Roy in #200, being unable to finish off a (alleged) villain is becoming something of a theme. Must be awfully frustrating.

J_Muller
2006-11-05, 10:59 PM
That was good for a chuckle, actually.

And the thought that went through my head after reading Miko's response to being forcecaged was "Oh no, not again."

Low-Calorie cookie for spotting the obvious reference.

Quixoto
2006-11-05, 11:00 PM
Great comic today... kinda snuck up on me there. I'm really liking Xykon's whole "I've read the Evil Overlord list" shtick. I do have one rules question though, it says in the description that Forcecage extends into the ethereal plane. Wouldn't that have blocked Xykon from passing through it in ghost form? I mean, that's ethereal right? Sorry to nitpick and please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm fairly new to D&D.

Minimiscience
2006-11-05, 11:01 PM
"Not AGAIN"? I sense a backstory about to unfold. Or, more likely, we'll get just a bit more info and than have to wait about 100 more strips before we get the whole story.

_JM_
2006-11-05, 11:01 PM
A good reason to have a throwable dagger, an enemy near dead on the floor and you unable to reach them.

Agree with Xykon. Does seem a little incompetent of the guardsmen, but their mistakes make the funny and hindsight (things like "how about having some people stationed by the beacon") is always far clearer.

Enjoyed Xykons speech, is he available for security consulting work as well as stand-up and general liching? :)

Grim Greyscale
2006-11-05, 11:02 PM
I do have one rules question though, it says in the description that Forcecage extends into the ethereal plane. Wouldn't that have blocked Xykon from passing through it in ghost form? I mean, that's ethereal right? Sorry to nitpick and please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm fairly new to D&D.

He probably just went to the right or left of it, which can't be shown properly in a 2d comic.

tis_tom
2006-11-05, 11:04 PM
COME ON MIKO!!!!

I wish you the best of luck!!!

Alex Star
Evil Puns are the best...

Haarculaneaum
How much does General Lichery pay?
Is it anything like General Lechery?

;)

Xykon actually earned all of his money through consulting work, as it is the third highest evil in business, behind (#2) Telemarketing and (#1) Collections. Xykon tried Collections but found it too rough for him. Only Demiliches go in for that sort of thing.

Haar

musicnerd
i'm loving all these extra comics :tongue:
thanks giant!

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-11-05, 11:05 PM
Nice Samurai Jack reference...

In fact, I refuse to refer to Miko as anything but Samurai Jill from now on. So awesome.

Flame_Drake
2006-11-05, 11:06 PM
Once agian, I'm loving the pun in the comic title

:thog:

Haarculaneaum
2006-11-05, 11:09 PM
Also,

I suppose this is the End of Miko

DUN DUN DUUUN!
unless the 12 gods teleport her out of there, Forcecage lasting at least 40 hours or so and spells going through it. I mean, it wouldn't make sense to leave her alive.

So now the only question is: Zombie Miko? Wight Miko? Wraith Miko? (DARE I HOPE. . .) Vampire Miko?

Edit: Okay, I know create greater undead doesn't make vampires or wights. But wouldn't a vampiric Miko be fun???

Haar

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-05, 11:14 PM
"Not AGAIN"? I sense a backstory about to unfold. Or, more likely, we'll get just a bit more info and than have to wait about 100 more strips before we get the whole story.
She's probably about to turn into a bowl of petunias and they just cut the scene away too quickly.

theKOT
2006-11-05, 11:15 PM
I wonder why Xykon doesn't just kill Miko? Meh.

Anyway...
Good comic. Quick, cheap exposition done in an amusing manner. Nothing particularly spectular, but the end joke made me smile. 7/10

Azukar
2006-11-05, 11:15 PM
Is anyone else amazed at how Rich is able to address the major concerns/comments from the forums? For a gent who doesn't change scripts based on our crazed ramblings it's the sign of an incredible plotter who really thinks out some minutia his story lines.

Just wanted to say, really enjoying this ride...

Of course, it could be more that you guys seem to explore every possible option on the forum between comic posts, so that no matter what Rich does there's someone who's thought of it already.

Plus, given that he's pretty consistent and doesn't leave plot holes, there's only so many reasonable explanations for events he can use, so it's not much of a coincidence if some brainiac on the forum comes up with it before he gets to address it.

As an interesting side-note, I'd like to see all you forum-goers take three or four days without pointing out any inconsistencies at all... See if the Giant picks them up anyway ;)

Piedmon_Sama
2006-11-05, 11:19 PM
Wait--"Not again?" When was the last time Miko got Forcecaged? Did I miss something, or is this something that the Giant is putting out there as a deliberate mystery?

Comrade Gorby: Posting "I got on page 1!" is still not allowed, even if it's under a spoiler, and even if you didn't actually make it onto page one. Don't do it. If anyone does this after this point, they may be receive an Infraction.

EDIT: D'awwww. =(

Shott
2006-11-05, 11:20 PM
Now I thought 'not again' refered to the previous rounds between Redcloak and Miko (Xykon said they were past round 4.) I assumed that after every round when Miko was about to win, Xykon would force cage her. I could be wrong.

TinSoldier
2006-11-05, 11:21 PM
Gaah! Another comic! I am flabbergasted!

Umm. Great comic. Must analyze. However, I found Xykon's dialog to be humorous. Did anyone else hear James Woods' voice?

EmeraldFire
2006-11-05, 11:22 PM
Loved Xykon jumping through the floor and scaring the guard, "Heh, that never gets old." great stuff :D

Trobby
2006-11-05, 11:24 PM
Eeehh...I dunno...this has the usual flair of an OOTS comic but...something about it just seemed off...

I do like Xylon's creative spell use there though...^^ that was pretty nifty.

And for the record, whenever Xylon talks, I hear a rattly voice filled with an emotionless void. o.o

ref
2006-11-05, 11:24 PM
:miko:, We believe in you.

RaleyD
2006-11-05, 11:25 PM
Another possibility is that the "Not Again" simply refers to the results of her last battle against an evil foe: the fight against Belkar. She was on the verge of finishing him off when V stopped the fight. No one appears to allow her to complete a coup de grace.

RaleyD

Cult_of_the_Raven
She's probably about to turn into a bowl of petunias and they just cut the scene away too quickly.

:biggrin: what an awesome Hitchhiker's refrence.

mikeejimbo

Funny thing. I ended a campaign like that once, except I made up a list of random potted plants, and had them roll for it.

There were 42 different plants I came up with. Then I wrote stats for them all.

Lerch
2006-11-05, 11:26 PM
I think that Xykon was particularly delicious in the fact that he put Miko in a "barred" forcecage instead of the solid version and then "walked" by in ghostform...

bwahahahaahahaa

Sliverghost
2006-11-05, 11:28 PM
i'm loving all these extra comics :tongue:
thanks giant!

ya more then three in a week is sweet cant wait till the next one :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

Tawkis
2006-11-05, 11:30 PM
This is indeed a great weekend.
Too bad Redcloak didn't win, that makes me sad.

Happily enough bad jokes make me smile.

However, Miko is quickly losing her "tenuous" grasp on sanity. Stopping evil with lethl force is fine, but starting the "bloody" vendetta and going on revenge sprees tends to be a little "evilish" shall we say. Which is now what Miko has stated.

But what do I know...

Ink
2006-11-05, 11:30 PM
And this is why I love Xykon...

This five-day update schedule is great. Everytime I turn around there's a new OotS. I'm lovin' it.

It was nice to see Miko beat Redcloak too. Go Miko!

Sliverghost
2006-11-05, 11:32 PM
Now I thought 'not again' refered to the previous rounds between Redcloak and Miko (Xykon said they were past round 4.) I assumed that after every round when Miko was about to win, Xykon would force cage her. I could be wrong.

i think your right

Loved Xykon jumping through the floor and scaring the guard, "Heh, that never gets old." great stuff :D

i know i loved that part

FuziSlipers
2006-11-05, 11:33 PM
When Miko saw Redcloak, she seemed to recognize him immediately. Hence the "the" part. Redcloak didn't recongize her, but then has he really shown a tendancy towards having a really great memory. To him, Miko likely looks like any other Sapphire Guard, and he might have battled her before with a group of other guards. I'm betting that they've fought before in the past and that he'd likely been rescued then as well.

As far as Miko's fate, Xykon didn't seem overly interested in harming her. He could likely have easily killed her, since she was focused on solely Redcloak and not the other big bads in the room. More than likely, he'd just leave her in her nice little cage and be off on his merry, albeit dastardly, way while she could only rage against the bars that prevent her from completing her mission. After all, mission first, saving the entire city (likely) second.

Cult_of_the_Raven
2006-11-05, 11:40 PM
true. miko is single-minded like that.

TigerHunter
2006-11-05, 11:42 PM
true. miko is single-minded like that.
Then why'd she stop and kill the ogres (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0211.html) instead of prioritizing the delivery of the prisoners? If she'd value delivering a freakin letter above saving her people, not to mention preventing the universe from being destroyed, why'd she stop and save a single life instead of delivering the people who'd weakened the fabric of said universe to prison?
I like Miko. Quit bashing her, people.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-11-05, 11:44 PM
Great comic Giant.

Though it would have been 100000 times better if Miko had died...painfully.

TigerHunter
2006-11-05, 11:48 PM
Please read the last line of the post above yours.

Cult_of_the_Raven
2006-11-05, 11:50 PM
miko is devoted to her duty to both the Shojo, and to her concept of her alignment. i'm not bashing her at all. its just that sometimes she overlooks things in fulfillment of that.

theKOT
2006-11-06, 12:03 AM
However, Miko is quickly losing her "tenuous" grasp on sanity. Stopping evil with lethl force is fine, but starting the "bloody" vendetta and going on revenge sprees tends to be a little "evilish" shall we say. Which is now what Miko has stated.

But what do I know...
Eh? When had she gone on revenge sprees? She just said "I'll kill you both!" This probably meant she will kill them both when she gets out of the cage. Kinda important considering the fate of the universe could lie in the balance.

Spiky
2006-11-06, 12:08 AM
As far as Miko's fate, Xykon didn't seem overly interested in harming her. He could likely have easily killed her, since she was focused on solely Redcloak and not the other big bads in the room.
Has anyone here actually seen/read a fantasy or adventure before? He can't kill her in such a boring fashion or place. It's called drama, people!

Would be exactly the same if the situation was reversed, say with Xykon not in the scene and Miko standing over Redcloak alone. Somehow Miko would not have killed him so he could live to die another (more important) day.

Pvednes
2006-11-06, 12:09 AM
Yeah, the 'not again' is all about her fight with Belkar.

Spiky
2006-11-06, 12:13 AM
The Miko-haters really can read anything into a single word from her, eh?

But what do I know...
Interesting question.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-11-06, 12:21 AM
Please read the last line of the post above yours.

People have different opinions from you. Please get over it.

I will repeat, I wish Miko had died painfully.

Seriously, "I dislike Miko, stop supporting her" isn't going to make you stop supporting her so why should I listen to your end? Bugger off.

Cult_of_the_Raven
2006-11-06, 12:25 AM
angry posts arent going to solve much, you know.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-11-06, 12:26 AM
angry posts arent going to solve much, you know.

What is there to solve? :smallconfused:

Screech
2006-11-06, 12:30 AM
I thought it was a great comic full of great one liners. i got quite a few good laughs although im disapointed redcloak didnt win haha he is very amusing.

Great work allround :)

Share the love i say.

Nu
2006-11-06, 12:30 AM
It does seem rather odd that Xykon would spare Miko. He's usually all for killing any living being that happens to be in his path whom he's not associated with(and more than half the time those who is IS associated with as well). You have to wonder if there's a larger reason there.

Cult_of_the_Raven
2006-11-06, 12:37 AM
plotlines! Miko is untouchable as of now, because of the plot. it would be a real let-down to just stab her.

besides, xykon probably wants to see her suffer.

Radome
2006-11-06, 12:37 AM

I don't think that's correct. In the second panel :xykon: said "And seriously, you couldn't have wrapped it up back in round four" Back in 369, :xykon: was betting she'd take :redcloak: down in 4 rounds. Why would he force cage her to stop her from winning then?

Just my $.02 worth.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2006-11-06, 12:43 AM
Xylon just can't afford the chance that she'll fail her save against a death effect, and he's short on time what with the guard running to hit the alarm. Forcecage is much more reliable, as it allows no save and Miko has no ranged weapons. Of course, with that taken care of, something bad is going to happen to Miko now.

Miko's "not again" reference... Is this going to be a recurring theme? At least against PCs and major characters. Oh, well.

"...but since I left my invading army double-parked..."

CabbageTheif
2006-11-06, 12:46 AM
because of his goal. he said it himself, he wanted to get things wrapped up quickly. he wouldnt durty his hands unless absolutley necessary when a minion is around, so he let redcloak tackle miko. then when he decided that he had enough fun watching, he stopped her without killing her cause that was fastest and took the fewest amount of spells. then he killed the guard for the same reason-fastest way with the fewest amount of spells.

efficient, thats what he is.

ninja posted^

Flak_Razorwill
2006-11-06, 12:49 AM
"Samurai Jill." Heh. I got a rise out of that. I used to watch Samurai Jack, till the stories got uber-repetitive and such.

I gotta use that one when referring to random japanese female monks in the future.

Miko! Allons y!

Kython
2006-11-06, 12:54 AM
the "not again" could be that she had simply been forcecaged before by some of the other evil beings that she faced off with (and eventually killed)...

It does seem rather odd that Xykon would spare Miko. He's usually all for killing any living being that happens to be in his path whom he's not associated with(and more than half the time those who is IS associated with as well). You have to wonder if there's a larger reason there.

c'mon now... I've played with (and been) too many evil characters to not know the answer to this: corrupting the highest moral orders is one of the most vile satisfactions a villain can have! sure killing things (nomatter how miniscule and/or pointless) can be fun, but getting a holy person to go evil is just something that would make a villan giggle to himself at night

it's as I hypothesized with the discussion thread for oots369, She's going to go blackguard... either that or die and become undead... and if she's still intelligent as an undead, will still become a blackguard... you know what, either way, she's going evil.

thinking back to the Oracle's insight for Belkar; if Miko goes Blackguard, Belkar would have a legitamate reason for why he can kill her and not get punished later on... unless they were supposed to interogate her after the battle... I wonder what Belkar'll turn her body into when he kills her?

humanpylon
2006-11-06, 01:03 AM
I have a question. Almost every spellcaster says the name of their spell when they cast. Zykon is inconsistant. He said Symbole of pain back in the dungeon, but didn't say anything when killing the ogres. He also didn't say anything killing the angel-thing in his tower, but he said ghostform and force cage. Anyone know why Zykon is different?

Kadasbrass
2006-11-06, 01:05 AM
Awww Yeah! More Xykon Time! Does he expect a battle with the Order at Azure City? That poor orcale, spent all that time warning them for nothing.

xyzchyx
2006-11-06, 01:22 AM
The best solution for Miko at this point...
There's no way out of this forcecage for Miko, but she does have an option that could warn Azure city. She could write a message indicating the danger, and summon back her mount with the command to gallop with all haste to deliver the message to Azure city. I would think that a horse at full gallop would be able to beat Xykon and Co. to the city by enough time that they could be prepared for the attack.Of course, as strategically sound as it might be, it wouldn't make for very good comedy. I've put it as a spoiler anyways though because it's still very spoilerish.

J_Muller
2006-11-06, 01:24 AM

Congratulations, one low-calorie cookie as per my obvious reference on the first page.

I personally thought the "Samurai Jill" reference was towards "G.I. Jill" and not "Samurai Jack", though it could be both, potentially. If he put emphasis on samurai, it's the first, and if he put emphasis on Jill, it's the second.

I figure that when Xykon is killing people with evil energy, he's just using Inflict spells.

Finwe
2006-11-06, 01:29 AM
Perhaps Miko has a magic item on her that casts desintegrate or a rod of cancelation, and manages to escape while Xykon is upstairs.

The Glitter Ninja
2006-11-06, 01:33 AM
I've never heard of "GI Jill", J_Muller. Did you mean "GI Jane"?

I was going to say :xykon: is really mean, but, I think we knew that already.

Myatar_Panwar
2006-11-06, 01:34 AM
Gotta love bonus oots! :xykon:

KeiranHalcyon
2006-11-06, 01:40 AM
Did anyone think that beacon was a humorous palantir knock-off?

Well, I do suppose crystal balls are vairly pervasive, but combined with being in a tower, palantir was the first thing that came to mind.

Ing
2006-11-06, 01:53 AM
Gaah! Another comic! I am flabbergasted!

Umm. Great comic. Must analyze. However, I found Xykon's dialog to be humorous. Did anyone else hear James Woods' voice?

I always hear Xykon as James Woods

Turcano
2006-11-06, 02:24 AM
I have a question. Almost every spellcaster says the name of their spell when they cast. Zykon is inconsistant. He said Symbole of pain back in the dungeon, but didn't say anything when killing the ogres. He also didn't say anything killing the angel-thing in his tower, but he said ghostform and force cage. Anyone know why Zykon is different?

I think the most likely reason is that Xykon has Silent Spell. It particularly explains why he says "Magic Missle" out loud in #112 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0112.html), as one can't have Silent 1st-level spells (that aren't cantrips, at least).

Anyway...

:xykon: Now you two crazy kids play nice, Daddy has to go take care of some grown-up stuff.
:miko: I'll Kill you both!!
:xykon: Thatta girl.
It's good to see that somebody maxed out Banter...

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-06, 02:34 AM
I thought the raise dead thing was funny.

Dugray
2006-11-06, 02:49 AM
You just have to love Xykon.. Ah.. Good times.

Charmy
2006-11-06, 03:18 AM
Great comic! At least Miko still has a trump card - her mount.

<geek>
Btw, Forcecage has a reagant cost of a 1,500gp Ruby tossed in the air when the spell is cast.. where is it?
</geek>

CaptN
2006-11-06, 03:29 AM
Ah yes, twas a great comic. Silly NPC, drawing his blade in hopes of killing a Major Villian(tm). And the joke is close to my heart, as I make those style of jokes all the time.

As for Miko... I think her an excellent foil, and she is deffinatly not going to be "Destroyed". She may become the servant of the lich (you don't have to kill/animate a person for them to be in your controll) but, most likely, she will be left too rot. Because when it comes down to it, you can only kill someone once (or twice...) but you can torment them for a lifetime.

DarkLightDragon
2006-11-06, 03:30 AM
My favourite comic so far! I laughed as soon as Xykon started talking, and I'm still laughing now :smallbiggrin:

Piedmon_Sama
2006-11-06, 03:34 AM
I always hear Xykon as James Woods

I've always heard a rather irate Mel Brooks, but James Woods works too....

Solmage
2006-11-06, 03:37 AM
Nice! Now while it does make sense to not risk a fight with an apparently quite powerful paladin, which could be time consuming, I'm afraid it's more likely he has plans for her. Afterall, he could have simply cast a single maximized empowered scorching ray (sorcerers don't need to prepare those in advance) which has no save during the fight when she was done. (Ready an action until she gets hurt, then cast before she can heal)

Renegade Paladin
2006-11-06, 03:46 AM
Dude, forcecage lasts much longer than a round.

The Hammer of Thor
2006-11-06, 03:52 AM
The comics are coming fast now. Really Great.
Love it. What else can i say?

LostInBrittany
2006-11-06, 03:57 AM
I really LOVE this comic-a-day spree, it is really great to find a new comic every morning :)

Delgarde
2006-11-06, 05:07 AM

Actually, I think she's calmed down a lot since leaving Belkar's company - she's angry, yes, but not frothing at the mouth or anything. Vowing to kill a lich and his minion doesn't seem inappropriate...

Woolysock
2006-11-06, 05:19 AM
Wait--"Not again?" When was the last time Miko got Forcecaged? Did I miss something, or is this something that the Giant is putting out there as a deliberate mystery?

Comrade Gorby: Posting "I got on page 1!" is still not allowed, even if it's under a spoiler, and even if you didn't actually make it onto page one. Don't do it. If anyone does this after this point, they may be receive an Infraction.

EDIT: D'awwww. =(

I'm thinkin' Miko is gettin' away

So, does this mean that Comrade Gorby will get an Infraction (-er, whatever that is...) for posting "I got on page 1!"? Just curious...

Baron Von Mod: If he does then so do you. Maybe we'll let it slide just this once...

_sl0t_
2006-11-06, 06:06 AM
It is not the "who" that matters, but the "why". A paladin should kill evildoers, and not evil aligned people. Even if you like the stereotype paladin that kills anything evil aligned just because it may do something evil in the future (which is pretty flawed, since anyone can do something evil in the future, regardless of the current alignment), she doesn't look like she is vowing to kill a lich just because it is her duty or in name of her master or deity.
That was exactly Belkar's intention when he almost made her kill him. Sure it would be killing someone evil, but not for the right reasons.

And for the record, I hate and despise Miko for being such a strong representation of the narrow-minded and retarded stereotype the class I love is cursed with. I really hope she loses her paladin levels or becomes evil for her own acts, not because Xykon turned her into an undead. It's a good way to show what a Paladin should really care about.

Grunjon
2006-11-06, 06:47 AM
OOTS #200/201 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html): Miko goes for killing blow against Roy, laying on ground. No death occurs.

OOTS #285 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0285.html): Miko goes for killing blow against Belkar, laying on ground. No death occurs.

OOTS #370 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0370.html): Miko goes for killing blow against Redcloack, laying on ground. No...oh, you get the idea. Miko's reaction: "No! Not again!"

Oh, and if I were designing Watchtowers, I WOULD put the beacon in the same spot in every Watchtower, so that the rotating troops of guards would never be confused about where it is, in case of emergency. Of course, I would also have two guards stationed in the room with the thing at all times, too. Meh.

Edit: one last thought. Xykon left Miko alone down there with a KO'ed Redcloak and presumably a just-off-camera CitD (and maybe the c°ckroaches, too). Wouldn't it be funny if the CitD and Miko strike up a conversation?...

Chaingun
2006-11-06, 06:56 AM
Let me state my stance here: I neither hate Miko nor do I love her. She's an interesting character, to be sure, but not a major character. This said, I'm afraid she's finished. Xykon's Forcecage spell is THE sovereign means in 3rd Edition for making a melee-only character helpless. And the only reason he'd choose the "barred" version rather than the "solid" version is if he intends to kill her. Redcloak was (barely) conscious on the floor. He can heal himself easily enough and easily kill her, either with spells or just poking her with a pike or something till she's dead. I figure Xykon decided to let Redcloak finish her while he did the really important stuff. The only way she MIGHT survive is if they want to keep her alive in chains so she can get to see her city sacked and her Lord killed. But if *I* were an evil high priest or a lich? I'd make her undead. Maybe an intelligent type with her memories intact. I bet the Giant could make that so poignant that even the Miko-haters would feel sorry for Miko.

Barazon
2006-11-06, 07:07 AM
Usually The Giant's wording is just awesome, but I'm going to have to disagree with just a few words in this one. When Xykon says "that raise you really want", given what he says in the next few frames, I'd change that text to "that raise you've been dying for". Dying for? Raise dead?? HA!

Normally I wouldn't sanction such humor, but ... it just seems to fit Xykon's mood.

Ikkitosen
2006-11-06, 07:12 AM
Xykon's "Thatta girl" comment now has me hearing him as Dr. Cox from Scrubs. Oddly fitting it seems - aloof, superior, and funny!

CockroachTeaParty
2006-11-06, 07:25 AM
Xykon has always been my favorite character. I'm glad to see him back in action!
Still, his sparing of Miko seems puzzling to me. Why not just cast implosion and be done with it? I fear the poor girl is in for some unpleasant times.
:xykon: I think I just had an evilgasm.

Blood
2006-11-06, 07:31 AM
Xykon's "Thatta girl" comment now has me hearing him as Dr. Cox from Scrubs. Oddly fitting it seems - aloof, superior, and funny!
I've always sort of heard him like that, but this seals it. :smallbiggrin:

This comic definitely coulda been better, seeing as last comic had a great hook, but I didn't mind it. And Xykon wrapped it up nicely with his casual battle speech once again.

Heloisa
2006-11-06, 07:35 AM
Xykon is the best vilain EVER!
Kuddos Giant!

Go :xykon:

Evil_Pacifist
2006-11-06, 08:13 AM
Yay! I love Xykon!

warmachine
2006-11-06, 08:37 AM
Unless the author is deviating from AD&D rules, Xykon is still taking a risk waiting for Miko to beat Redcloak unconscious. At Miko's level, a single strike can easily go from positive HP to -10. Indeed, using RAW, unless Redcloak was knocked to exactly 0 HP, he's dying and risks bleeding to death.

I guess the author is using artistic license.

Blaznak
2006-11-06, 08:49 AM
So Samurai Jill took me a minute, then I figured out the whole CN Samurai Jack deal and then I chuckled.

Strange for Miko to say "Not again". Reminiscent of the giant whale and flower pot in Hitchhikers... Even if it means nothing here, it still was a bit of random thought processes that I enjoyed.

Xylon's speech? Again, nifty and villainous! Good point on the alarms being in the same spot each time... (and handling the paladin's spot check issue as well. - Good of him to leave his army behind...)

LATER!

Noneoyabizzness
2006-11-06, 09:23 AM
ya know what giant's sty;le reminds Me of, the giffen/demateas jl/jli days.

ssheer genius good plotting and the bwahaha

Flak_Razorwill
2006-11-06, 09:31 AM
I hear Xykon like an eloquent Strongbad...I know that didn't make any sense.

chibibar
2006-11-06, 09:32 AM
I just thought of something interesting...

Miko HATES the Crimson Mantle.... the OoTS is trying to destroy Xykon (and now trying to save the world) Belkar is in OoTS.... who would Miko hate more? Belkar or RedCloak?

Telinyth
2006-11-06, 09:39 AM
That's the hardest I've laughed over a new strip since Belkar did away with Yok-yok. Gotta love the lich -- comic gold. I'm so incredibly happy that the evil trio (Xykon, Redcloak, and the MitD) are back!

Life is good.

TinSoldier
2006-11-06, 09:45 AM
I've always heard a rather irate Mel Brooks, but James Woods works too....:xykon: It's good to be the lich!

Scarlet Blade
2006-11-06, 10:01 AM
I'm ridiculously happy to get my Xykon fix! He can do no wrong...well actually he does a lot of wrong!
:xykon: "Sacrificing Minions: is there any problem it can't solve?"

orcmonk89
2006-11-06, 10:07 AM
LOL That's great. Go Xykon!

orcmonk89
2006-11-06, 10:09 AM
who would Miko hate more? Belkar or RedCloak?

Belkar. He's evil and chaotic. The Mantle is liekly to be lawfully aligned, at the least. ;)

MonkeyHead
2006-11-06, 10:24 AM
Xykon is so awesome he can just get a full page spread standing there looking mean and it would be worth it.

Runolfr
2006-11-06, 10:41 AM
Why would Xykon spare Miko?

So he can put her into an easily escapable situation involving an overly dramatic and exotic death, of course. More seriously, she'll be more entertaining as a hostage who gets periodically tormented than as a corpse. And there's always the possibility of turning her into a blackguard, even though I personally don't want to see that happen. I want to see her a helpless prisoner until the OOTS rescue her. One of these days, I want to see her get the lesson in humility that she so desperately needs to make her a better paladin.

Miklus
2006-11-06, 10:43 AM
"Samurai Jill." ...Hahaha *Snort*

:miko: tried to kill somone in #200, #285 and #370...exactly 85 comics apart! The Giant scares me now, this level of planning can only be done by an android.

SteveMB
2006-11-06, 11:54 AM
It is not the "who" that matters, but the "why". A paladin should kill evildoers, and not evil aligned people. Even if you like the stereotype paladin that kills anything evil aligned just because it may do something evil in the future (which is pretty flawed, since anyone can do something evil in the future, regardless of the current alignment), she doesn't look like she is vowing to kill a lich just because it is her duty or in name of her master or deity.
That was exactly Belkar's intention when he almost made her kill him. Sure it would be killing someone evil, but not for the right reasons.
Er, Xykon is invading an Azure City watch post. Resisting such an invasion with lethal force is part of Miko's job.

Frozen_Northman
2006-11-06, 12:00 PM
Though Xykon has some good one-liners, I don't see him ever truly succeeding in stand-up.

The undead just don't have what it takes to do live comedy.

Darkhands
2006-11-06, 12:10 PM
As a non-fan of Miko, it pains me to say this, but I want to see her get away!

Why? She's got Durkon's reply in her satchel!! :smalleek:

SupraGuy
2006-11-06, 12:13 PM
I personally think that Miko is a little bit slaughter happy. The whole blades bathed in blood thing and all.

Overall the comic was good. I love the daily new comic.

If push comes to shove, though, Miko's had it. Redcloak is a major character, and though Miko has her place, I don't think she's irreplaceable.

My guess though would be that Miko comes out of it alive, either in her own right, or rescued by OotS. Random thought: She tries again to "Detect Evil" on Belkar and instead catches "Elan" (Nale)... Naw. The one who'll figure out that it's not Elan still has to be Haley. How she'll TELL anyone will be the good bit.

Om
2006-11-06, 12:14 PM
Though Xykon has some good one-liners, I don't see him ever truly succeeding in stand-up.

Well he seems to be doing fine without vocal cords and most stand up comics have sold their souls anyway. Of course I imagine that the reception to Xykon's routine might be a bit... dead.

I really do crack myself up sometimes :smallsmile:

Zaggab
2006-11-06, 12:19 PM

Ouch... My spleen...
All these puns need to be punished.

On topic:
Even though Miko seems to be essentially killed now (with being trapped around badguys for 2 hours/level), I think that she will make it out somehow. I don't know how, it's just a hunch.

Grey Watcher
2006-11-06, 12:24 PM
Random thought: Miko's "not again" might not refer to any previous encounter with either a Force Cage or with Xykon. She might, instead, be referring to the last time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0285.html) she had beaten an evildoer, only to be thwarted by a spellcaster.

Varian7
2006-11-06, 12:33 PM
Miko wins! And both she and Redcloak survive, Yay!

Goofy
2006-11-06, 12:42 PM
For those saying Miko needs a reason to kill Xykon and Redcloak, I think all Paladins are encouraged to kill of Liches, their Evil Cleric Generals, and their undead armies, since those tend to be very black-and-white versions of Evil with a capital E. It's the men stealing to feed their children where a deliberate judgement is necessary.

Lord Zentei
2006-11-06, 12:46 PM
I personally think that Miko is a little bit slaughter happy. The whole blades bathed in blood thing and all.

That's just part of her charm.

What? Why should only the evil antagonists get all the over-the-top dialogue? :smallwink:

the_tick_rules
2006-11-06, 01:02 PM
poor redcloak, he just can't catch a break. well hopefully xykon will remember to help him out when he is done. he's has a habit of not caring about others.

antone
2006-11-06, 01:30 PM
Xykon is officially my favourite Oots charachter

Go Xykon! When this story arc is finished all we want to see left is smoking ruins.

antone
2006-11-06, 01:33 PM
On topic:
Even though Miko seems to be essentially killed now (with being trapped around badguys for 2 hours/level), I think that she will make it out somehow. I don't know how, it's just a hunch.

her horse is currently "awaiting her summons" in the celestial realm, maybe she can exploit that somehow and evade the forcecage ?

Erimore
2006-11-06, 02:11 PM
OK, as much as I dislike Miko, I'm glad to see her not dead... After all, taunting her is much easier when she's alive. :sabine: (Note: It'd be nice to have a generic :evil: face...)

What I'd like is...

...for Belkar to end up saving Miko so that she won't be able to kill him due to her own principles. He could save her if he wanted to (being Chaotic)....and it would grate on her to the end of her days. But maybe I'm being too evil here....

Nah.

Peace.

Belphegor
2006-11-06, 02:13 PM
@antone My thoughts were the same...

battleburn
2006-11-06, 02:54 PM
Xycon did'nt finish Miko of for an obvious reason. The battle cost valuable time and the guard had almost reached the warning-globe-thingy. Xycon had a spell that could hold Miko for a time, which gives Xycon time to take care of the guard. Taking out Miko takes more than one simple spell. Then it would have been to late.
The question now is. Will Miko be able to free herself before Xycon comes back
Of course she will, she is to much an important character to just die. She will escape and warn Azure city.

mikeejimbo
2006-11-06, 02:59 PM
That's true, though I still wouldn't like leaving Redcloak alone without backup, unless the Monster in the Darkness could hold my soul-thingy.

I hope she dies, and not for the 'anti-miko'ness of it. I think it would cause drama!

xyzchyx
2006-11-06, 03:03 PM
Xycon did'nt finish Miko of for an obvious reason. The battle cost valuable time and the guard had almost reached the warning-globe-thingy. Xycon had a spell that could hold Miko for a time, which gives Xycon time to take care of the guard. Taking out Miko takes more than one simple spell. Then it would have been to late.
The question now is. Will Miko be able to free herself before Xycon comes back. Of course she will, she is to much an important character to just die. She will escape and warn Azure city.
Forcecage is not susceptible to dispel magic, nor will any amount of physical force destroy it. I think Miko is stuck there for several hours.
About the only chance she has to get out of there quickly is if Redcloak gets up and tries to fire another disintegrate (about the only plausible way to destroy a Forcecage without having very particular magic items) at her and misses, hitting the Forcecage instead (and according to the rules, the Forcecage provides decent cover, so there's a reasonable chance that she wouldn't get hit by the disintegrate beam).

Lord Zentei
2006-11-06, 03:12 PM
A way to escape might be a polymorph or gaseous form to get through the bars. Of course, she is not a spellcaster, though there is a very small chance she might have a magic item, potion or scroll of some kind or other. Not something to bet on, though.

Alfryd
2006-11-06, 03:12 PM
Bonus Sunday OOTS is up.
Very good. Carry on.

Forcecage lasting at least 40 hours or so and spells going through it. I mean, it wouldn't make sense to leave her alive.
Yes. I am curious as to precisely how she mnakes it out of this one alive, unless reinforcements stumble upon her position...
Ah. I see.
Hint: Drunken wizard.

Funny thing. I ended a campaign like that once, except I made up a list of random potted plants, and had them roll for it.

There were 42 different plants I came up with. Then I wrote stats for them all.
You are a sad, strange, little man.

Heh, that was funny. Although Xykon's joke was rather sad.
No no: It's so bad it's good.

Oh sweet Gods.

I refuse to refer to Miko as anything but Samurai Jill from now on.
Am sorely tempted myself.

Wouldn't it be funny if the CitD and Miko strike up a conversation?...
Actually... yes. Given that the CitD has been suspiciously upbeat, helpful, friendly and supportive throughout the strip, that could get very interesting.

I would have thought Miko'd have a bow and arrows at her disposable for just such an eventuality. I am disappointed.

One of these days, I want to see her get the lesson in humility that she so desperately needs to make her a better paladin.
I would tentatively agree with you on this point. But Plans and Miko do not mix well... *sigh*. She would be *wonderful* as CG.

What? Why should only the evil antagonists get all the over-the-top dialogue?
Good point. But her scrupulous use of proper English tends to reduce the pizzazz quotient doing so...

For those saying Miko needs a reason to kill Xykon and Redcloak, I think all Paladins are encouraged to kill of Liches, their Evil Cleric Generals, and their undead armies, since those tend to be very black-and-white versions of Evil with a capital E. It's the men stealing to feed their children where a deliberate judgement is necessary.
Agreed. One gets the sense that a certain amount of searing molten rage is involved here too.
*Sigh* She would be *wonderful* as a barbarian.

After all, mission first, saving the entire city (likely) second.
She already mentioned needing to warn the city of impending invasion.

dragon95046
2006-11-06, 03:16 PM

I believe this has to do with what abilities a Lich gets in D&D. Their mere touch inflicts negative energy damage. This ability is not a spell, thus nothing needs to be said to use it. This ability is a touch attack, and to my knowledge he has always been standing next to the thing he used it on, too.

On a side note, that same touch can paralyze a being, permanenty, and only a remove paralysis or a remove curse effect can fix it, so even if the touch didn't do enough to kill the target, it may well incapacitate them anyways, which is just as good as dead in any of the instances we saw it in.

mikeejimbo
2006-11-06, 03:21 PM
Yes. I am curious as to precisely how she mnakes it out of this one alive, unless reinforcements stumble upon her position...
Ah. I see.

Hint: Drunken wizard.

Yes

You are a sad, strange, little man.

Yes

Felinoid
2006-11-06, 03:30 PM
Regarding the "blades bathed in blood" thing, one of the two paladins I ever played was essentially split-personality (well, not really, but he damn near acted like it). The most jovial and kind person you'd ever meet, unless you were evil. Which is quite in keeping with a paladin's code. Miko's only problems are her social ineptness (goodbye joviality :smallwink: ) and...well, the word 'paranoia' springs to mind. For her, evil's pretty much everywhere, though as a law-enforcement professional, you can hardly blame her for such a viewpoint.

Miklus
2006-11-06, 03:51 PM
Well he seems to be doing fine without vocal cords and most stand up comics have sold their souls anyway. Of course I imagine that the reception to Xykon's routine might be a bit... dead.

At least he wont have to worry about "dying" on stage....

I am sorry for that pun...so, so sorry :)

chaospet
2006-11-06, 04:04 PM
Strangely, I also find myself in the camp that is cheering for Xykon to wreak some serious havoc.

And also, I am loving the sudden onslaught of bonus comics! Wee!

Xykon is officially my favourite Oots charachter

Go Xykon! When this story arc is finished all we want to see left is smoking ruins.

Finwe
2006-11-06, 04:08 PM
At least he wont have to worry about "dying" on stage....

I am sorry for that pun...so, so sorry :)

All these Xykon puns make laughter leak from my body!

Lord Zentei
2006-11-06, 04:17 PM
Good point. But her scrupulous use of proper English tends to reduce the pizzazz quotient doing so...

Nah, its just the right style for the class and character type. That parting speech in Shojo's throne room wouldn't have worked without scrupulously correct English, for instance.

Sebastian
2006-11-06, 04:29 PM
Then why'd she stop and kill the ogres (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0211.html) instead of prioritizing the delivery of the prisoners? If she'd value delivering a freakin letter above saving her people, not to mention preventing the universe from being destroyed, why'd she stop and save a single life instead of delivering the people who'd weakened the fabric of said universe to prison?
I like Miko. Quit bashing her, people.

Because killing evil is fun.

Sebastian
2006-11-06, 04:33 PM

>He didn't kill her because he can recognize talent when he meet her. Miko is an excelent blackguard-in-training, She just need the right motivation and who better than Xykon to give her one. :D

Lerch
2006-11-06, 04:38 PM
All of the Mel Brooks talk reminded me of one particular quote.

Evil wins because good is dumb.

Itdano
2006-11-06, 04:38 PM
Xykon is now, officially, my favorite character and I am rooting for him to win.

:)

sklar dansig
2006-11-06, 04:40 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if the CitD and Miko strike up a conversation?...

i think thats absolutely hillarious idea :biggrin:

Lord Zentei
2006-11-06, 04:41 PM

There has actually been a comic with that title: Linka (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0193.html).

Sergeantbrother
2006-11-06, 05:14 PM
For some weird reason, when Xykon and Miko go up against each other, I strongly feel like Xykon is the hero and that Miko is the villain and that I'm really pulling for Xykon to win. I find Xykon so likeable, despite being really evil, and Miko to be so unlikeable, despite being good, that alignment doesn't matter so much to me.

I'm assuming that Miko will escape some kind of way, and I feel frustrated. I kinda wish that Xykon would just kill her and get it over with.

Kish
2006-11-06, 05:29 PM
Forcecage is not susceptible to dispel magic, nor will any amount of physical force destroy it. I think Miko is stuck there for several hours.
[spoiler]About the only chance she has to get out of there quickly is if Redcloak gets up and tries to fire another disintegrate
Destruction=/= Disintegrate. Redcloak is a cleric, not a sorcerer or wizard.

(And, just because I'm on the subject and I've seen a lot of people call Xykon a wizard lately: Xykon is a sorcerer.)

gooddragon1
2006-11-06, 05:38 PM
Personally, I would have installed another feature in which if a ball of scrying or warning or whatever that blue thing was, was destroyed, it would send an automatic message as such and that way destroying the globe would hasten the message.

fangthane
2006-11-06, 05:44 PM

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb," actually... Close though. :)
Miko has a high enough AC and saves (and a paladin's roach-like ability to stay alive) to play dodgeball for some time, I suspect, if it really comes to it. She might summon the horse outside the cage, and have it stand on Redcloak, but I doubt it. I think the "drunken mage" comment earlier likely hits closest to the mark (ha, I can make bad puns too) in that I suspect the OotS is reasonably likely to offhandedly rescue her. My guess is that this happens on their way back from the other gate, after the AC one has been rendered unusable for Xykon. Remember, from what the Oracle said Xykon will be at the other gate, and what better reason than having blown a second opportunity?

If Rich really wants to do a Spaceballs ripoff though, he could do far worse than to have Xykon and Redcloak pore over a few back-episodes of OotS. (perhaps with a comment about making an investment in Goblin Dan's)

xyzchyx
2006-11-06, 05:46 PM
Destruction=/= Disintegrate. Redcloak is a cleric, not a sorcerer or wizard.Actually Disintegrate is also a 7th level cleric spell in the Destruction domain, but yeah.... you're right... they are certainly not the same spell.

inky13112
2006-11-06, 05:47 PM
:frown: NO! Poor Miko. I'm getting way to attached to this comic, I felt worse when Miko got force caged than I did when my parents got divorced. Giant to paraphrase Bogotter (I think) way back when... How's it going paladin killer? And as another person said, "Had a good day killing paladins?" :mad:

Well heres hoping for a happy ending for Miko. :Miko:

sklar dansig
2006-11-06, 05:48 PM
Miko has a high enough AC and saves (and a paladin's roach-like ability to stay alive) to play dodgeball for some time, I suspect, if it really comes to it. She might summon the horse outside the cage, and have it stand on Redcloak, but I doubt it. I think the "drunken mage" comment earlier likely hits closest to the mark (ha, I can make bad puns too) in that I suspect the OotS is reasonably likely to offhandedly rescue her. My guess is that this happens on their way back from the other gate, after the AC one has been rendered unusable for Xykon. Remember, from what the Oracle said Xykon will be at the other gate, and what better reason than having blown a second opportunity?

i think that it is obvious in the strip with the oracle, that roy outsmarted himself bigtime

fangthane
2006-11-06, 05:54 PM
Personally, I would have installed another feature in which if a ball of scrying or warning or whatever that blue thing was, was destroyed, it would send an automatic message as such and that way destroying the globe would hasten the message.
Mmm. In a world of magic and of counteragents, it's a matter of foreknowledge moreso than of countermeasures. Had the warning beacons had a failsafe designed to transmit an alert when destroyed, Xykon would merely have been obligated to throw anti-magic at the thing and have someone walk in with a hammer; the fact that he knew about the placement within the tower indicates that he'd done at least some minor homework as far as figuring out how to avoid early warning, and that had it been a stronger system he'd have escalated his ability to counteract it.

In short, if the defenses were tighter Xykon would have taken that into account, and the only real effect might be an extra spell slot being spent. The rest is all comic timing (other than comedy there's no reason to arrive at the same time as the guard, or to divulge his presence before the guards have been toasted.)

Cult_of_the_Raven
2006-11-06, 06:34 PM
yes, i agree. those that discuss these comics seem to focus only on the physics of the matters at hand, rather than realizing that its a comic, and -just like a movie- it has an entirely different set of rules.

Lord Zentei
2006-11-06, 06:35 PM
For some weird reason, when Xykon and Miko go up against each other, I strongly feel like Xykon is the hero and that Miko is the villain and that I'm really pulling for Xykon to win. I find Xykon so likeable, despite being really evil, and Miko to be so unlikeable, despite being good, that alignment doesn't matter so much to me.

I'm assuming that Miko will escape some kind of way, and I feel frustrated. I kinda wish that Xykon would just kill her and get it over with.

Bah. Fanatical antagonistic paladins FTW. "Smite Evil!!"

...I may have become corrupted by playing too much Warhammer 40000. "Smite the heretic! Innocence proves nothing!" Though the Imperium is probably a tad too fanatical even for Miko.:smallbiggrin:

The "wierd reason" may be that you are subconciously filing her under "protagonist". As many have commented she represents precisely the "wrong" way to play a paladin. However, that's subject to an extremely important qualification: she is just the "wrong" way to play a paladin if she is meant to be a PC. That is, if she is meant to be a protagonist. As an antagonist for a (mostly) Good party of PCs, however, the "wrong" way becomes just "right".

Nale understands this distinction (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0253.html). Note how he passes up Larry Gardener and accepts Yokyok, even though Yokyok is not evil-aligned, and may in fact be good-aligned.

I like Miko as an antagonist (I would probably lose my patience if I had to spend time around her in real life, though).

Funnily enough, I like Belkar too, but as a protagonist. Chaotic evil is another alignment that is often mis-played, with players slipping into archvillain/mass-murderer mode. Belkar represents just the "right" way to play a Chaotic Evil protagonist character.

J_Muller
2006-11-06, 07:22 PM
I've never heard of "GI Jill", J_Muller. Did you mean "GI Jane"?

Yeah, that then.

Personally, I've always imagined Xykon as a warped version of Jason Lee. But maybe that's just because I've seen Dogma too many times.

Nightfall
2006-11-06, 08:14 PM
omg! I missed three strips in a row?? Well, it was fun reading them one right after the other. What a hoot (to quote Xykon)!

And is it just me, or is anyone else hearing James Woods' voice when Xykon "talks"?

charik
2006-11-06, 08:21 PM
Samurai Jack and Samurai Jill
Went up Mt Fujimora hill

Curses! I left this board last night 3 MINUTES before the comic got updated!

xyzchyx
2006-11-06, 08:50 PM
Personally, I would have installed another feature in which if a ball of scrying or warning or whatever that blue thing was, was destroyed, it would send an automatic message as such and that way destroying the globe would hasten the message.How can it send a message if it's shattered? Magic items can't perform any function once they have been destroyed.

Winged One
2006-11-06, 09:14 PM
I just thought of the stupidest way for this to end...But I'm not going to say. I just put this in spoiler tags for ****s and giggles

Tawkis
2006-11-06, 09:47 PM

I get the feeling of:
That's the idea.

However, to qualify my point earlier I simply feel that Miko is placing more value on "Kill the bad guy." than "Save my people."... which IMO is a few steps in the wrong direction.

It's been pointed out that Her horse is waiting in the celestial realm...

Of course I expect to be WAAAYYYY off base.

An above poster is correct Miko is a great supporting foil character, but would be a terrible PC.

Bilbo27
2006-11-06, 10:04 PM
Gotta love the A-material. Xyklon is my favorite evil character. I am glad Rich made this small side journey even though I am dying to see what Nale is thinking about his new quest!!

Dumbledore lives
2006-11-06, 10:17 PM
Awesome comic, but why does everytone want the good guys to win?

taraxia
2006-11-06, 10:19 PM

I'm pretty sure yelling the name of the spell is the cutesy OotS way of representing the idea of a spell's verbal component. Most spells have verbal components, but some don't, and a mage with Silent Spell can choose to forgo the verbal component if he wants to be less obvious about the magic he uses.

Although Xykon killing the ogres seemed to me to just be a pacing/comedic element in terms of choosing not to have him shout the spell name.

Finwe
2006-11-06, 10:44 PM
Although Xykon killing the ogres seemed to me to just be a pacing/comedic element in terms of choosing not to have him shout the spell name.

I considered it to mean that the spells he's casting are pretty much trivial to him.

Solophoenix
2006-11-06, 11:10 PM
How can it send a message if it's shattered? Magic items can't perform any function once they have been destroyed.

Why can't it just be constantly sending a signal, and when that signal is interrupted, either manually or by item destruction, the folks at Azure city know something is wrong.

mikeejimbo
2006-11-06, 11:11 PM
Why can't it just be constantly sending a signal, and when that signal is interrupted, either manually or by item destruction, the folks at Azure city know something is wrong.

That's the obvious and intelligent solution. Why would they do that?

Piedmon_Sama
2006-11-06, 11:29 PM
Then Xykon would probably just create a false signal to overlap with the actual one before destroying the beacon... seriously guys, he made it clear he did his homework before attacking the tower. It's always easy to say "well, what if we'd..." in hindsight, but second-guessing is always a second too late.

humanpylon
2006-11-06, 11:57 PM
I believe this has to do with what abilities a Lich gets in D&D. Their mere touch inflicts negative energy damage. This ability is not a spell, thus nothing needs to be said to use it. This ability is a touch attack, and to my knowledge he has always been standing next to the thing he used it on, too.

On a side note, that same touch can paralyze a being, permanenty, and only a remove paralysis or a remove curse effect can fix it, so even if the touch didn't do enough to kill the target, it may well incapacitate them anyways, which is just as good as dead in any of the instances we saw it in.

Thanks to everyone who gave their thoughts on my question :smallsmile:

I forgot about the lich touch ability. It would give a pretty good kick.

Kish
2006-11-07, 12:49 AM
Awesome comic, but why does everytone want the good guys to win?
...Shouldn't Voldemort lives be asking that question?

Finwe
2006-11-07, 12:59 AM
...Shouldn't Voldemort lives be asking that question?

I wouldn't want Voldemort to win - there really isn't much about him that's special or unique as a character. He's kind of a lame villain. Although he is much more intelligent and far less annoying than his competition, I think the most satisfactory ending for the series would involve Xykon, meteor swarm, and snarky comments to Voldemort about how horcrux's are inferior to phylactery's, and that he knows more save-or-die spells than V does.

Solara
2006-11-07, 01:19 AM

I basically feel the same way, except I'm rooting for Redcloak, not Xykon. He's far more likeable than either one of them, IMHO.

And even though Redcloak and Xykon are both villains and technically on the same side, I always feel like Redcloak is the downtrodden 'good guy' when they're in the same strip together.

I think the only thing that could shake this feeling is if Redcloak were fighting a member of the OotS or some other character I really cared about, and even then I wouldn't want to see him die, just be captured or have to make a hasty and undignified retreat or something.

WarriorTribble
2006-11-07, 01:48 AM
I notice that Miko is close enough to reach Redcloak with her sword. I wonder if she'll try to kill him by constantly scratching his face.

Zeb The Troll
2006-11-07, 03:44 AM
I think the most likely reason is that Xykon has Silent Spell. It particularly explains why he says "Magic Missle" out loud in #112 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0112.html), as one can't have Silent 1st-level spells (that aren't cantrips, at least).
Silent Spell just requires a spell slot one level higher than that of the normal spell, so a silent Magic Missile is just a 2nd level spell slot, that's all. I'm pretty sure Xykon (please note the spelling folks, there is no "L" in his name (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0100.html), okay?) has plenty of 2nd level spell slots. I'm guessing 7 or 8 per day.

Solmage
2006-11-07, 04:38 AM

Why do I feel I'm the only one rooting for Ms. Miyazaki? I know she's screwed, but I like rooting for the underdog.

Well, force cage is better than the alternative.. but I'm still pretty damn worried. The fact few books elicit such a strong emotional response shows that the story and its characters (&npcs) are very well made.

KeiranHalcyon
2006-11-07, 07:21 PM
Xykon is so awesome he can just get a full page spread standing there looking mean and it would be worth it.

You mean like the second half of OOTS 300 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html)?

[hr]
On shattered beacons - there's really no reason Xykon should have shattered it at all, if there's no one left to activate it.