PDA

View Full Version : Fires of War IC

oblivion6
2013-01-23, 09:04 PM
Part 1: Baby Steps

The streets of Sol-Faluna, as always, were crowded today. Being home to thousands of citizens plus twice that many people in travelers, thats to be expected on even a normal day, but on special days like these, it was much worse. Today everyone was out and about, chatting with friends, browsing through merchant stalls and the like, seeing as how they had nothing better to do since both today and tomorrow had been declared national holidays years ago. Today, of course, was the winter solstice and tomorrow would be the young queen Lymsleia's 17th birthday. Despite being young, Queen Lymsleia(fondly referred too as Lym by many) was actually considered to be one of the greatest queens in the history of Faluna, and was known across the continent to be a woman of great courage, Compassion and wisdom.

The Winged-Boar, the tavern where you are too be assigned your first mission as Hellraisers, was located in one of the better sections of the waterfront and was generally regarded as being a fine place to have a drink and a good time. The price wasn't too bad either. While normally a loud and boisterous place, the atmosphere of the tavern was refreshingly calm today, especially compared to the crowds outside.

Probably the reason it was so quiet in here, relatively few people were in at the moment and those that were here, really weren't very interesting. A man slept over at the bar. A chubby looking man scrubbing a glass behind the bar. A pair of young serving wenches delivering heaping trays of food to a lone dwarf before backing off a safe distance and stood there giggling at the dwarfs eating habits. In other words, aside from the comical dwarf, the tavern was a boring and unintresting place at the moment. That of course would soon change...

Fortis
2013-01-23, 11:41 PM
Droogh just walked through the crowded streets. Despite the teeming throng of people, he made fairly quick progress. People tend to be quick to step aside for a tall, muscular half orc carrying a huge blade. With his fullblade resting on one shoulder, he carried a scrap of parchment in the other one. It was the message that had been spread around the city, speaking of a job to be had in the company called Hellraisers. He had never heard of them before, but what the piece of parchment spoke of appealed to him. Working was all very well and good, but the orcish blood, even if diluted, still called for some excitement and battle. This promised to be both. Coming around one last corner, he saw the tavern, the Winged Boar, up ahead. It looked like a nice place, a step up from the usual dives Droogh frequented. It was all he could afford usually.

Droogh entered, and just picked himself out a table by one wall, leaning his sword against it. He liked having a view of things. Taking a moment to wave down one of the tavern girls, he just looked around at the other patrons. So far, all he saw was the gluttonous dwarf putting away a surprising amount of food. A fat barkeep scrubbing at a glass was there too, and the tavern girls of course. No one there really struck him as the 'Commander Tarath' type. Guess he was early then, but that wasn't a problem. So long as he had a drink, he could wait. "Jus' a pint o' ale. No food an' nothin' fancy. I'm gettin' thirsty," He said, speaking in a coarse orcish accent as the serving girl came over. He just got out a few coppers and set them down on the table to pay for the drink, before leaning back and putting his booted feet up on the table.

Gillric
2013-01-23, 11:51 PM
Gustavo

With the twin tails of his coat swirling around his legs and his face hidden by the brim of his garishly large hat, the size of the hat only overshadowed by the giant yellow feather stuck in it, a man of average height enters the tavern. After the door shuts behind him, his coat tails continue to swirl as he approaches the bar and takes a seat. Tilting back his head, he signals to the bar keep and waves the man over. I`ll have whatever is strong.

As his drink is delivered, he turns to survey the other occupants of the room. The only patrons of note are a large warrior of orcish decent and a dwarf with questionable eating habits, neither of which fit the description of this Commander Tareth he was expecting to meet. Having completed his survey, he settles back against the bar and proceeds to await the Commander`s arrival.

18th Avenger
2013-01-24, 01:42 AM
Roulant

He might have been the son of a famous mercenary general and even if he'd visited Sol-Faluna a handful of times before, the general scale of everything in the great capital, from its sprawl, the number of people who called it home and architecture, still took Roulant Ormund's breath away.

The young mercenary hitched his pack and slung crossbow closer and wandered down the somewhat-familiar and very congested streets. The mood in the air was festive and bright, and Roulant couldn't help but feel pulled along. The day was young and the women were bolder and merry. He'd lost count of the times he'd been kissed by pretty young women in colorful clothing or been hand-fed treats from the stalls. Roulant gave thanks to whatever gods blessed him with his wiry build, piercing blue eyes and scruffy good looks.

Eventually, he found his way to the White Boar. By then, his cheeks were plastered with the odd lip dyes the city girls wore on the holidays and his belly rather full from the samples. He had a lively step as his ears still rung from the sprightly tunes of several impromptu dances as he entered. The two gauntlets strapped to his belt jangled as he stamped his feet from the chill and entered.

The place was much quieter than he could scarcely credit, with only a few patrons before him; a dwarf demolishing a mountain of food, a muscular half orc in the light armor of a barbarian and a human in a big feather-capped hat and thick clothes. Like a wizard, thought Roulant.

It would do him some good, he decided, to get some peace from the streets' joyful clamor. The young mercenary left his crossbow on a hook by the entrance and took a seat as well. Roulant began to fumble through his pack, making sure his items, and one in particular, were in order before ordering some of the tavern's tap beer to freshen his throat.

NightWolf16a
2013-01-24, 02:37 AM
Isenul Songsunder

If anyone happens to looked his way, he or she will most likely not noticed him. Even if anyone did, Isenul Songsunder is nothing special to look at, either. Yet the elf slowly and deftly makes his way through the crowd of people, occasionally stopping to correct his course and ensure his way.

Isenul has never been in a large city through the century and a half of lifetime he's had, but his eyes do not wander from the streets to the sights and wonders of one of the most brilliant cities in the continent. Isenul walks with a gritty determination, despite the merriment around him, as if his eyes burned with an empty fire, were someone bothered to look closely. He carries two scimitars on his belt, exotic weapons not often seen in these parts, but has another longsword strapped onto his cloakless back, carefully and meticulously wrapped with fine cloth and grim respect.

Following the directions he clutches in his hand, Isenul enters the White Boar inn, escaping the bustling crowd and the ringing laughs. He quickly surveys the unusually quiet inn and registers the bartender, a dwarf, a half-orc, a heavily clothed human, and a well-armed one with gauntlets, and a few others. He makes straight for the bartender, Where can I find Commander Tarath? as he shows the recruitment flyer to the man.

Irish Musician
2013-01-24, 09:56 AM
Tiam (http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchQLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhiPxsQHDA), Sergent of the Dragon-Kin
When Tiam walked through the city, people moved out of his way. He would like to think that it was his commanding presence that made people move of out the way out of respect, or the fact that Tiam stood almost 7 feet tall and was quite wide, but he knew that wasn't the case. He was a Dragon-Kin of the land and therefore that meant he was a rare oddity. People were not used to seeing a Dragon-Kin in everyday life, and they tended to fear him. Oh Well, he thought, makes getting through the crowd quicker.

He looked up at the sign of the Winged-Boar Inn, took a deep breath, and walked into the establishment. As soon as he walked in, he felts eyes shoot to him. Other than an unusually messy dwarf, there didn't seem to be much that was unique about the Inn. As he walked over to the bar, his scale armor shifted as he walked and knocked up against his large shield slung over his back. Tiam got to the far side of the bar, took of his shield and set it next to him, and sat on a stool. He called the bartender over, "Whiskey.....and just leave the bottle." He had learned that to get a regular drink served to him, more often than not, he had to serve it himself.

oblivion6
2013-01-24, 06:52 PM
I'll be right with you sir, The fat innkeeper said to the elf, before fetching a bottle of whisky for the Dragon that had so calmly walked into his bar. It certainly was being crowded by unusual people today. Probably on account of the fact that the Hellraiser mercenary company was using his inn as a recruitment station again, he figured. This was confirmed a moment later when the elf showed him the recruitment poster. He considered the question a moment before calling over one of his serving wenches, a pretty blonde girl. When did your uncle say he was coming in today? He asked the girl.

Umm, The girl hesitated. The fat man smiled, amused. She was his newest assistant and this was her first real job and she probably feared that one wrong move and she might lose her job and disappoint her family, most of whom were either dead or mercenaries themselves. Many of the other girls, mostly orphans and such from the street, had tried to persuade her to come out of her shell but she was still a shy and nervous wreck. But he was confident she would get over it eventually. He should be here already. He's late. She eventually finished.

Probably drunk and asleep, The innkeeper said with a laugh and fondly patted the girl on the head. Turning back to the elf at the bar he said Sorry, thats the commanders niece. She says he's late, but I suspect he'll be around anytime now. Can I ge- He was interrupted by a loud belch that probably could've awoken the dead. The messy dwarf just laughed and called, More food! Oh, and ale! Lots and lots of ale!

The innkeeper chuckled and continued As I was saying, can I get you something to drink while you wait?

I got bored and wanted to entertain myself. I now have the innkeepers entire history firmly in my mind:smalltongue:

18th Avenger
2013-01-24, 08:39 PM
Roulant

"Wait, did someone say 'Hellraisers'?"

The young mercenary found that all his equipment was accounted for, including the letter from his father in its own compartment. He tied his pack shut and looked one of the new arrivals, an elf with the build and poise of a ranger. Roulant gathered it up, along with his drink, and made his way to the bar where everyone was sitting.

Roulant had a smile on his face. "I'm joining up with the 'Raisers too."

NightWolf16a
2013-01-24, 08:57 PM
Isenul Songsunder

Isenul looks towards the dwarf for a moment, as if the prodigious diner is reminding him of someone, then returns his attention to the barkeep: Something I can get with one gold pieces, plus a tankard of juice, any kind that you have.

Isenul takes a second to appraise the cheerful human then says: I...didn't intend to join the Hellraisers. But I do have something that belonged to one of them.. At the end of his sentence, Isenul introduces himself to the mercenary, Isenul Songsunder, pleased to meet you..

Irish Musician
2013-01-24, 09:00 PM
Tiam (http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchQLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhiPxsQHDA), Sergent of the Dragon-Kin
Tiam sat back and watched the conversation between the bartender and the waitress as he sipped his whiskey. A smile came to his face and he chuckled a low chuckle that might have been mistaken as a growl, if human ears could perceive it. The Hellraisers, Tiam though, I bet they pay good. He decided he would wait for this commander of their force, and get work with them. At least it would be some income, and from the mercs he saw walking in and who were already here, this was to be an interesting night.

Though he didn't speak up yet.

18th Avenger
2013-01-24, 09:57 PM
Roulant

"Roulant Ormund."

The mercenary hopped onto the bar stool next to Isenul. Roulant drained the tankard in his hands and plonked it down onto the counter.

"More of that tap brew, good master," he said to the barkeep. Roulant turned once again to the elf. "Just gonna return an item? Ah, well. Each his own, I guess. I'm signing up for the 'Raisers. My da recommended them." A callused hand patted the pack. "Got a letter and everything."

Gillric
2013-01-25, 10:07 AM
Gustavo

Continuing to slouch back against the bar while sipping at his drink, Gustavo watches the others enter and congregate at the bar. He silently shakes his head as two of them strike up what seems to be an overly cheerful conversation.

You know this is liable to be dangerous work for little pay? He says, attempting to dampen the enthusiasm clearly emanating from one of them.

18th Avenger
2013-01-25, 07:57 PM
Roulant

The young mercenary turned to the man with the big feather-capped hat and thick clothing and turned on the power of his cheeky grin.

"I'm familiar with the wages of mercenary life, good sir. My family's churned out a few sellswords. But that's not why I'm joining up. Money comes and goes, that's why they mint more of it. Fighting's what I'm good at. " He patted one of the gauntlets at his belt. "And it'll be how I mark my place in this world. Startin' with the Hellraisers."

Fortis
2013-01-26, 02:09 PM
Droogh just took a long draught from his ale mug, and listened in on the conversation. It seemed others had come looking for the Commander as well. It was an unusual mix of people. The elf and the human with the fancy hat seemed quite serious about things. He couldn’t quite get a read on the elf, but his presence here seemed a little tangential, since he wasn’t looking to join. The fancy hat human, Droogh wasn’t sure if he was joining or not. The other human he could identify with though. A young man looking to find some glory, and win some battle trophies for himself. He looked like a good fighter too. As for the last one, Sergeant Tiam, he had heard of that name before. He was said to be good in a battle, at least according to reputation.

“If I was jus’ lookin’ fer pay, I’d stick wit’ ‘aulin’ bricks fer th’ mason’s guild,” Droogh said, setting his mug down and looking to the fancy hat human. “As fer dangerous, sounds fun really. Tried bein’ a ‘uman an’ findin’ a trade, but I was bored stiff. This ‘ellraiser stuff sounds like it’d be jus’ wha’ I need. But wha’ ‘bout ya? Ya don’ strike me as th’ mercenary type. If it ain’ pay, wha’ are ya lookin’ fer?” Droogh just returned to chugging from the mug, tilting it up as he finished it off. Setting it down, he just waved down the serving girl for another one.

Gillric
2013-01-26, 03:55 PM
Gustavo

Nodding to the half-orc, Pay? Danger? Fame? I just want the thrill of the adventure and a chance to locate any magical relics I can come across.

Sliding down off his stool and turning to face the others, Gustavo swipes his massive hat off with a flourish. Gustavo at your service, dabbler in the arcane arts.

NightWolf16a
2013-01-26, 06:23 PM
Isenul Songsunder

Is it not quite true that I am simply returning a package. I am also...looking for some people, and the Hellraisers may know something about them. If at all possible, I would like to request some form of aid, as well. If that means joining in as a Hellraiser, then so be it.

With that, Isenul turns around and lowers the scarf that covers parts of his face, Isenul Songsunder, a pleasure.

oblivion6
2013-01-27, 03:03 AM
The door to the tavern burst open and in swept a giant of a man garbed in a massive set of plate armor, greatsword slung across his back. nodding politely to the fat barkeep and offering a gentle smile at the blond wench who was confirmed to be his niece before looking around and examining the rest of the people in the room. his lips curled in distaste as if he didn't like the looks of this batch of recruits. "Oi, this better not be the batch of new recruits I came for!" He exclaimed, I bet my grannie is tougher than you sorry bunch of misfits, and she's dead!"

After the initial outburst, he just shook his head and moved to a table in the corner. Taking off his helmet, you see he clearly earned his rank in the Hellraisers. Scars and a couple recent looking bruises and scratches covered his face. Your lucky I am in sore need of recruits. Get over here and we can discuss what I need you to do.

NightWolf16a
2013-01-27, 05:03 AM
Isenul Songsunder

Isenul Songsunder turns and surprisingly gracefully walks over to the commander at startling speed, drawing the wrapped sword at the same time, Commander Tarath, Isenul Songsunder, member of the elven Song Watchers on the edge of Sol-Faluna, protectors of frontier hamlets. Whether you are familiar with us or not, I have something that belongs to a member of your Hellraisers, and he lays down the blade with gentleness and slow, grim respect, in stark contrast of the alacrity Isenul displayed mere seconds ago.

I know not her name, nor where she came from. All I have is her sword, a pin of possible personal importance, and the cloak with the Hellraiser insignia. These I return to you, as she died in an noble effort to save my village. However, I do wish to know her name and request intelligence of Hellraiser presence in the area, for her killers and the destroyers of the village yet roam free and unidentified. I intent on tracking down your enemies and discover the those responsible, whether as a Hellraiser or not.

Isenul slides the sword and pin toward the captain and waits for his response.

18th Avenger
2013-01-27, 10:50 AM
Roulant

Reflexively, the scruffy mercenary put his fresh tankard down and stood ramrod straight, knocking his bar stool down. In spite of his rather shoddy appearance, Roulant did carry himself in the manner of a professional. That is to say, he lounged and carried on like on one leave as soon as the man in plate barged in and moved to his table. Then, exactly like a campaign veteran, the mercenary straightened and acted like he was doing whatever it was he supposed to be doing.

But Isenul moved to explain his what his cause was to the new arrival first, leaving Roulant to turn to his neighbor, now the wizard and his big fancy hat, Gustavo. He mouthed out the words, is that Tareth?

It occurred to him that while his father rattled off stories of an embarrassing nature about the commander of the Hellraisers, Gavin Ormund didn't tell his second son what exactly he looked like, apart from some colorful descriptions concerning his resemblance to a hog introduced forcefully to the side of a mountain.

Gillric
2013-01-27, 11:26 AM
Gustavo

Barely managing to conceal a chuckle, Gustavo nods to Roulant. Pausing to sip his ale, he waits to see what the others do before introducing himself to the large warrior.

Irish Musician
2013-01-27, 09:25 PM
Tiam watched the large man step in the room and go through his huffing and puffing and couldn't do anything put let out a low chuckle and take another sip of his whiskey, finishing his current glass.

He grabbed another glass from the bar and took it over to the big man, along with the bottle, pouring them both a glass of it once he sat across from him. "I am Tiam, Sergent of the Dragon-Kin and wandering mercenary. I am a good leader and have led many men to victory in battle. Use my talents well, and I will get done what you need."

oblivion6
2013-01-27, 11:14 PM
The big man examined the pin and the sword. Hmm, I can't say say she was part of my unit, I haven't had any men involved in any contracts within elven lands for quite some time. However, this pin does look somewhat familiar so it's possible she was part of the local garrison staff. I shall look into it and see what I can find out. He paused. I thank you for bringing this to my attention.

He looked up at the Dragon-Kin, sizing it up. Don't see many of you in these parts. You might be the one recruit worth keeping if your anything like the rest of your kind. Of all the people i've fought beside, your kind has to produce some of the best soldiers i've ever seen. Some of them even rivalled my own skill. His face lit up in a grin. None of them ever surpassed me however. As the whole world knows, I am a god among men.

Gillric
2013-01-28, 04:31 PM
Gustavo

Hearing the large mans reaction to Tiam introducing himself, Gustavo thinks to himself, Great, a blowhard that is full of himself is who they have recruiting.

Putting on a large smile, Gustavo again sweeps off his garishly large hat as he dips into an elegant bow. Gustavo at your service, I am here to join as well.

NightWolf16a
2013-01-28, 05:03 PM
Isenul Songsunder

If I must wait for information... then I'll make myself useful as a Hellraiser, as well, as there is little other that I can do in the mean time. What must I do to join?

Fortis
2013-01-28, 06:02 PM
Droogh

"Har har! Ya don' want fer confidence, tha's fer sure," Droogh guffawed, upon hearing the commander's statements. Grinning, he got his feet off of the table, and looked Commander Tareth over. "God among men? Wonder if tha's really true. Ya look like a fighter alright, an' a good one, but ain' much that's sayin' divine ta me. Course, looks ain' everythin'," He finished his mug of ale in one long draught, before setting the mug aside and standing up. Grabbing his sword and wiping off his mouth with the back of one arm, he walked over to the commander.

"I'm lookin' forward ta findin' out fer sure though," Droogh said. "Name's Droogh. No clan name, jus' Droogh. I'm 'ere ta sign up wit' th' 'ellraisers. I promise ta do yer dear ol' departed granny proud."

18th Avenger
2013-01-28, 07:42 PM
Roulant

Roulant strode towards the table, fishing the item out from his pack as Gustavo, the half orc and a Dragon-kin in heavy armor joined Isenul at the big man's table.

He plopped the letter, with the seal of a roaring lion with a sword, down on the man's tail. "General Ormund sends his regards." The young mercenary saluted Tarath. "Roulant Ormund, reporting for duty."

oblivion6
2013-01-28, 10:36 PM
Hmm, General Ormund? He frowned in thought for a moment before his face brightened. Ah, I remember him! Damn fine soldier. A little unorthodox and reckless at times but a fine soldier nonetheless. I think the last time we actually spoke was a few years ago when the Reforged Kingdom and its coalition hired us to spearhead the final push against the Harmonioum Empire. Give him my regards when you next see him.

He put on a serious face again. Now then, down to business. I have a task that shouldn't be too hard but it'll give me a chance to see if your ready for real work. In recent weeks, with the majority of the army off north with the Reforged Kingdoms forces, bandit activity has been on the rise as various groups of petty criminals and thieves think they can escape the law during the chaos. One such group has been reported quite close to Sol-Falena. I want them eliminated sooner than later. The local guard detachment can handle it themselves but I see it as a good training excersize for you to prove your worth. Any questions?

NightWolf16a
2013-01-28, 10:47 PM
Isenul Songsunder

Hearing that some bandits are tempting their fates near the elven forests, Isenul gets an unusual fire in his eyes, When do we set off, who are we looking for, dead or alive?

Irish Musician
2013-01-28, 11:21 PM
Tiam smiled a the big man, "Where exactly are these damned bandits, and do you need any left alive?", Tiam ended with a twisted smile, getting excited to engage in battle once again.

18th Avenger
2013-01-28, 11:29 PM
Roulant

"Bandits in the outlying districts of Sol-Falena? Shouldn't be too hard."

Roulant pounded his fist against his open palm. "When do we go?"

Gillric
2013-01-29, 12:44 AM
Gustavo

Listening to the very brief description of the mission leaves Gustavo with many questions. Any questions? Yes, I have a few. First, you say eliminate, does this mean we are to kill them or should we capture them alive? Two, Sol-Falena is a big place, could you be a little more specific on where we are going?

Fortis
2013-01-29, 01:45 AM
Droogh

"Bandits, huh? Sounds fun," Droogh said. The others talked about whether or not to bring them in alive or not, but to Droogh, it seemed pretty straightforward. Find them, kill them, return to tavern for drinks and bragging. 'Eliminate' must mean something different to humans than what it meant to orcs. "If yer lookin' ta cut down on th' bandit activity, maybe we can make an example outta these ones. Leave a few 'eads on pikes by the road or somethin' ta warn off other idiots from followin' their example."

oblivion6
2013-01-30, 01:39 AM
The Queen doesn't care what you do with them as long as they cease to trouble the trade-routes. I can't give you specifics on where their camp is since no one has seen fit to share that information with me, but I can tell you the attacks center around the north road. They certainly know how to use the terrain to their advantage so be careful. Reports indicate there are atleast a dozen of them in this particular band.

He paused. Pull this off and I can promise you some real action and more "entertaining" contracts rather than this grunt work. If you need anything in town before you set out, feel free to visit the quartermaster in the local Hellraiser compound. She can be a bit sour sometimes but does her job well and can hook you up with anything you might need.

NightWolf16a
2013-01-30, 02:49 AM
Isenul Songsunder

North road? That would be almost immediately south of here, Isenul turns to the group, how about we all dressed up at helpless merchants and play sheep? Let's catch one of them off guard and interrogate him. Saves us the time and effort to look for them.

Irish Musician
2013-01-30, 11:23 AM
Tiam smiles, "Well, what the hell are we waiting for? Lets get a move on and take these bastards out! I've been wanting some battle practice for some time, they should do nicely!"

After hearing the ranger's suggestion, Tiam nods in agreement, "That might not be such a bad idea elf. We could disguise most of us as merchants and have only a couple of us as "guards" to show them that even though we have guards, we don't have many. Myself and green stuff here should be cloaked as merchants, as well as the wizard. The ranger and the fighter can act as "guards" and when the bandits come out and try to attack us.....woe to them," Tiam ends with a vicious smile.

18th Avenger
2013-01-30, 01:10 PM
Roulant

"So our first step is to speak to the commander's quartermaster for some suitable gear for the charade?" Roulant turned to Tarath, his soon-to-be superior officer. "Lemme guess, she would also have garments to make the half orc look respectable." He bobbed his head at Droogh. "No offense meant, big man. Just pointing out the obvious."

Roulant knew from his father's ramblings that while calling himself a god was a bit of a stretch, Tarath was a skilled combatant and a canny general. The fact that he mentioned that his quartermaster might be able to get them whatever they required for their plan suddenly reminded him of an old bet the pair had made. The mercenary tried to bite back a smile.

Fortis
2013-01-30, 02:00 PM
Droogh

"None taken," Droogh said with a shrug. "I don' thin' yer gonna git me lookin' respectable. Can't talk respectable either. I'd do better passin' myself off as a laborer or a 'ired grunt ta do th' 'eavy liftin'. No fancy merchant would stoop ta doin' it 'imself, those tha' could afford laborers anyway. But I betcha Gustavo 'ere could make a good merchant, wit' tha' big frilly 'at o' 'is." Droogh added, waving a hand towards the fancy hat that Gustavo wore. "Anyway, let's go find us a wagon an' some convincin' lookin' trade goods. I wanna git ta killin' bandits!"

oblivion6
2013-01-31, 09:20 PM
The Hellraiser compound in Sol-Faluna was large and walled. Dozens of guards manned those walls and gates. Upon presenting the letters of introduction granted to you by Commander Tarath, you are immediantly let in without question and directed to the quartermaster by a polite soldier.

Just as the Commander had said, the small shop owned and operated by the Hellraisers contained anything a bunch of amatuer mercenaries like yourself might need. At the counter stood a tall, red-headed woman in a suit of studded leather. Two shortswords rested at her waist. You people look as green as grass for the most part. I assume your setting out on your first mission and need supplies? She said it in an emotionless tone but she clearly didn't like new recruits judging from her face.

18th Avenger
2013-02-01, 08:02 AM
Roulant

Roulant flashed the sour-faced red head another of his bright smiles. "Green we might be, but green is the color of spring, is it not? And with new blood, comes new glories." He clapped his hand on the counter. "But to business, dear lady. Our sergeant and ranger," he gestured to Tiam and Isenul. "Have cribbed from the pages of history with a classic ploy. Have you any clothing a merchant might wear?"

Fortis
2013-02-02, 01:05 AM
Droogh

Droogh just raised an eyebrow at the rather surly looking woman in the supply building of the Hellraiser compound. She had the look of someone told by the chief to be nice to the new blood, when they really didn't want to bother. Droogh found it irksome, but put it out of his mind. They'd be seeing his skill soon enough. "Ya tryin' ta be funny or somethin'?" Droogh just said at the green as grass comment. "Ner'mind. While yer' clothes shoppin', I'm just gonna find us a wagon," Droogh added, leaving the building to search for a wagon suitable for their needs. He wanted it big enough to carry a few empty barrels, as well as have a place where his huge sword would be more or less out of sight.

NightWolf16a
2013-02-02, 04:02 PM
Isenul nods at the surly-looking woman as he enters, looking just as surly himself. While the young mercenary chats with their quartermaster, Isenul peruses the selection of arms and armors they have here, always impressed by human's ability to prepare for conflict at a moments notice.

(OOC: I am assuming Isenul still kept the bundle of the dead mercenary's remains with him)

In short order, Isenul leaves the building as well and decides to go around asking people whether they have seen the personal pin of the mercenary defender before.

(OOC: This is what happens if Tarath kept the bundle)

In short order, Isenul leaves the building as well and decides to go around asking people whether they have seen the personal pin of the mercenary defender before, using a sketching of the pin he has made before he arrived at the bar.

NightWolf16a
2013-02-02, 04:04 PM
Streetwise
[roll0]

Gillric
2013-02-02, 07:18 PM
Gustavo

Green? I think this mission will prove otherwise. Gustavo quickly glances around the shop. Weapons? Armour? Have you anything for those with a more refined taste? Magical oddments and the like?

oblivion6
2013-02-03, 03:09 AM
Droogh
As it just so happens, outside the shop, you see a pair of Hellraisers unloading a wagon across the compound. It was probably a merchant's at some point but now its sole purpose seems to be as part of the Hellraiser supply-train. Seems like its probably big enough to suit your purpose.

Isenul
Showing around the sketch of the pin around the compound gets you nowhere. Several people seem to think it looks familiar but they can't give any details. Hopefully Tarath has better luck.

Inside the Shop
She sizes you up and says, "I do have a bit of clothing you might find the merchants of the Zexan Consortium wearing since they are by far our biggest sponsers. Finding something to fit the Dragon will be more difficult though..."

Irish Musician
2013-02-03, 04:59 PM
Tiam thought a moment and asked the redhead, "If there is a cart that I could lay in, I could be covered up by blankets with the rest of the "cargo", and when the bandits attack, I can fly out of the cart, tossing the blanket off, and attack them with you. How does that sound?"

18th Avenger
2013-02-04, 01:38 PM
Roulant

"Heck, if the sarge lies real still, we can probably pass him off as leatherwork." Roulant smiled to show he meant no harm before turning back to Tarath's quartermaster, whose name escaped the scruffy mercenary. "But his plan has merit, though. Do you have a wagon and a couple of draft horses to spare?"

Fortis
2013-02-04, 03:51 PM
Droogh

"That'll do," Droogh said to himself, heading up to the wagon, and the two mercenaries unloading it. "ey, gonna need ta borrow this. An' a few o' 'em empty barrels. Tarath 'as us 'untin' down some bandits, gonna give 'em a surprise," Droogh said, as he sized up the wagon. He took a moment to help the people unload the wagon, handling the weight of the goods without complaint or difficult. He took his fullblade, and laid it flat on the inside of the wagon, with the hilt within reach at the back. Good, his weapon would be mostly out of sight, and a few items would hide it neatly, while leaving it close at hand when he needed it.

"We'll bring it back soon. As soon as we git us some bandit 'eads," Droogh said, as he went to whatever animals were hitched to it and began leading it back to the others.

oblivion6
2013-02-06, 07:15 PM
Inside the Shop

She nodded. We just recently got in a shipment of supplies and the wagons likely still outside. Tell those layabouts who were unloading the cart that I said you could take it. She turned towards the back of her shop and was about to head into a small back room used for storage but turned and added. As long as you bring it down. The Consortium doesn't like us breaking their equipment.

Droogh

The soldiers hesitated ad were about to protest but apparently decided against it. They knew of Tarath and it wouldn't be a good career move to interfere with one of his groups. Umm...Go ahead, take it. Anything to support the Commander.

Gillric
2013-02-07, 01:05 PM
Gustavo

Stepping back out into the sunshine, Gustavo watches the half-orc just march over and commandeer the wagon. Shaking his head with obvious mirth we walks over after the men acquiesce and nimbly climbs aboard the craft. You know, I'm a little surprised they just let you have the wagon. Might have been fun to watch if they had decided not to.

oblivion6
2013-02-09, 05:22 PM
The northern gate of Sol-Faluna was heavilly-guarded this evening. Everyone entering and exiting through the gate was being searched and questioned by armed and wary guardsman. Anyone who knows anything about the world knows that this is unusual in this city where you are usually let in or out without question no matter who you were unless you were acting suspicious. The party would be approached by a pair of youths wearing the livery of the city-watch. Halt, Where are you bound? It's awfully late in the trading season isn't it? One of them would say, looking nervous. He clearly has not been a member of the watch for long.

18th Avenger
2013-02-11, 10:16 AM
Roulant

The scruffy mercenary, who looked less scruffy in the smart uniform of a caravan guard, went forward to speak to the guard who accosted them.

"You tellin' me, friend. But the festival was worth it. The girls 'round here gave out kisses like they was cookies." Roulant affected the accent of a hick as he gave the guard a lewd grin as he nudged him with an elbow. "Ar, if only we could stick around... But business is business. We's with the Marningold Trading Coster, commissioned to bring leather goods to Three Lakes. Now wha's with the hold-up?"

Bluff
[roll0]

oblivion6
2013-02-14, 11:09 PM
The guard seemed to relax and let out a ruefull sigh. I wish I could've spent more time amongst the festivals, but I've been busy here at the gates. Captain put all available members of the watch on standby. Be careful out there. Bandit activity has been on the rise with the army off fighting in the north. In fact, I would recommend you not leave town at all this late in the day, but I suppose I can't stop you.

Gillric
2013-02-19, 11:49 AM
Ashe

From his position atop the wagon, If there are bandits on the road, we shouldn't be wasting daylight. We won't want to be caught out in the dark. calls Gustavo.

18th Avenger
2013-02-20, 10:55 AM
"My friend on th' wagon has the right of it, chum," Roulant chipped in. "We've been late several times over already. If this leather don't make it, it'll be our arses on the sling." He winked at the guard. "Worry not, tho'. We're meetin' up with some strong swordarms on the way an' my friend over there knows some ways t' get us past any brainless bandit group."

Fortis
2013-02-20, 03:24 PM
Droogh

"C'mon, let's git goin'... if we're late again, my pay is gonna git docked. I need those silvers... an' th' ale. Ya don' wanna see me when I'm stuck wit' jus' water." Droogh grumbled, playing along with the ruse and acting the part of simple hired labor. He walked along with the wagon, keeping close to where his fullblade was stashed, hidden among the fake trade goods. He kept a sharp eye out for any potential ambushes, possessing keen eyesight in the evening light.

Irish Musician
2013-02-20, 03:34 PM
Tiam sat in the back of the cart, blanket laid over him, with his axe laid next to him and his shield laid over him. In a voice only his comrades could here, "As soon as you see anyone that looks suspicious, say the word 'Doomed' and I will be ready to spring out. Then we will take out these bandits."

NightWolf16a
2013-02-25, 12:50 PM
Isenul returns to the group and the wagon, pulling his cloak over his weapons to conceal them.

Silently, Isenul begins to walk besides the vehicle, listening to the chatter and strategizing of his companions.

(OOC: sorry for being AWOL for a while, I have had a lot of schoolwork launching themselves at me for the past couple of weeks.)

oblivion6
2013-02-28, 11:02 PM
The small party of leather merchants traveled north from the gates of Sol-Faluna despite the gate-guards warning about increasing bandit activity. At first it seemed that they might actually make it through the small forested area that was between them and the more open areas of the country without incident. However, they were passsing through a small clearing when one of the mules pulling the wagon suddenly whinnied in protest and refused to move forward anymore.

NightWolf16a
2013-03-01, 01:52 AM
Isenul begins speaking in singsong elven to calm the mule.

Rolling Nature to see what's bothering the beasts:
[roll0]
Rolling Perception to take note of the clearing:
[roll1]

Fortis
2013-03-01, 03:59 PM
Droogh

Droogh paused as the pack animals suddenly stopped, and started protesting. Narrowing his eyes in suspicion, he began looking around the clearing, trying to see what was spooking the animals. "What's got inta 'em?" Droog wondered aloud, giving the air a sniff. Orc snouts were more keen than humans, and half orcs, while not as good, still had a decent sense of smell. "Think there's somethin' out there?"

Rolling Perception to look (or smell) for whatever is spooking the mules.
1d20+7

18th Avenger
2013-03-06, 04:59 AM
Roulant

Roulant had been riding in the back of the wagon. He passed the time by filling the chill air with off-color tunes he'd picked up from his father's men, in between making sure the dragonborn sergeant's disguise was in place.

While it was nice to ride through the open country in a wagon, it was still sitting around doing nothing. The young mercenary had traveled all the way to the capital for many things, for the promise of action at the very least. For want of nothing else to do but sing "The Maiden From Far Away" for the umpteenth time, the sudden stop of the mules pulling their borrowed wagon was a welcome distraction.

The scruffy mercenary scooped up and readied his crossbow and hopped down to stand by the horse's other side.

"Talk to me, big man," he said to Droogh as he aimed his bow at the treeline. "What've we got out there?"

Preception
[roll0]

oblivion6
2013-03-27, 10:19 PM
[Sorry for the wait! Lets see who is still here and who gets to rot in the Abyss..]

Despite the keen senses of the party, not one of them detects anything within the clearing(or out of the for that matter) that could potentially spook the mule that is supposed to be pulling the wagon of leather goods. Many of them do note that it seems awfully quiet out here tonight, but then again, most things are quiet after experiencing the thrill of the festival in Sol-Faluna. However, one of the group, an elf(and thus most attuned to the natural world) did notice something the others did not...

Isenul
Just like the others, you notice it is quiet, but thanks to your connection to the natural world around you(nature check) you realize thats what the problem is. There is NOTHING around you. No forest animals making noise, no leaves rustling in the wind. Just nothing. It is almost as if something has sucked all the life out of the area.

You get the feeling that is also whats spooking the animal and the sensation seems to grow stronger as you head deeper into the forest.

Fortis
2013-03-28, 01:24 AM
Droogh

Droogh just sniffed at the air, but the forest smelled pretty much the same as before. Birds, plants, animals, fungi. The usual scents permeating the forests. Droogh couldn't detect any predators out there, nor any bandits or goblins waiting in ambush. He was pretty sure he would smell them, given that their bathing habits were practically non existent. "I don' smell nuttin'. Just the usual forest smell." Droogh said, glancing over to Roulant. "No bears, no wolves, no drakes or anythin' else tha' might put big animals like 'em mules on edge. Strange really. Seems like a quiet enough night. Been a while since I seen one this quiet really." When he said it, it sounded like a good traveling night, but Droogh wasn't sure he trusted it.

Irish Musician
2013-03-28, 06:13 PM
Tiam was getting restless....and cramped....just laying there in the cart. I wish these damn bandits would attack already....though after having to lay here they might wish they had not met me, he thought.

Gillric
2013-03-28, 08:06 PM
Gustavo

Gustavo sweeps his enormous hat off and quietly fiddles the with large yellow feather. I agree, its so quiet out here that it grates the nerves.

18th Avenger
2013-03-29, 01:49 PM
Roulant

As the animals were ushered on deeper, Roulant Ormund, raised on a score of stories by his father's men, couldn't help but feel at ill ease. On his place on the wagonbed, he sat on his haunches, his head peeking over the sides of the cart. The silence didn't seem all that natural, and the young mercenary had heard enough stories to get an inkling of what that usually presaged.

Where his hands gripped his crossbow, they shook with nervous energy as he panned the weapon at his surroundings. Roulant fought the jitters down as he scanned the darkening underbrush with the slow trained ease of someone raised by those who knew their lives would depend on their discipline. As his new squadron chattered grimly, he tried to whistle but couldn't quite hold the notes.